Luxury shuttle in its current state is awful.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Luxury shuttle in its current state is awful.

Post by Noodlecat » #617158

The current (indestructible) lux shuttle makes hijack near impossible unless you are a traitor who specifically planned to remove people’s money while still having money yourself. Also borgs and people without medbay cannot use this at all.

One example is when i as a malf AI on fulp had to hijack shuttle, however i was unable to because of the indestructible lux shuttle preventing borgs from getting on at all. The ce managed to have enough money and got through the gates where i was unable to touch him because of bad game design.

Another example is when i as a traitor managed to easily hijack the shuttle with just a crab phone and money.

The current state of the lux shuttle is god awful and honestly it should be removed, or at the very least made not indestructible.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Luxury shuttle in its current state is awful.

Post by cacogen » #617198

A long time ago I made it so simple animals and borgs could drag money through. But you could make it so only humans have to pay. You could also make the walls not indestructible (which is gamey and better reserved for things like Centcom) but just very hard to break, e.g. children of r-walls. I think you can destroy the gates with a mech drill or something (unless it was fixed). They're supposed to be indestructible but I don't think every method of dealing damage to them was taken into account when I changed the forcewalls into scanner gates.
Last edited by cacogen on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #617235

This sounds like good gameplay tbh. (though borgs / shells should be able to get on if they drag money)
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #617243

Being able to just drag money (that they cannot even get without donations or stealing from vault, both would be hard to do in mass in a malf round for example) is super unintuitive and I doubt anyone knows about this. And if a traitor (or god forbid a heretic) has to hijack a lux shuttle without having planned for it they are kinda fucked, as heretics have no way of getting lots of money fast or making people loose money, traitors need to have tc to do that, something they do not have a lot left after a full round.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617247

Noodlecat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:45 pm Being able to just drag money (that they cannot even get without donations or stealing from vault, both would be hard to do in mass in a malf round for example) is super unintuitive and I doubt anyone knows about this. And if a traitor (or god forbid a heretic) has to hijack a lux shuttle without having planned for it they are kinda fucked, as heretics have no way of getting lots of money fast or making people loose money, traitors need to have tc to do that, something they do not have a lot left after a full round.
To be fair, if you're a heretic, you should be stealing money from your victim's IDs. It's just good business.
► Show Spoiler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #617251

That malf problem might be resovable if you machine overload the gates, but specifically for traitors, have you trier using the CRAB-17? It does quite literally exactly what you want. Removes everyones money and gives it to you.
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #617279

Why the fuck should we, in a game that is infamous for its interlocking systems and creativity have a shuttle that bottlenecks creativity so the only solution is "get money lmao"?

Make the doors breakable. That way you can have some good design and have multiple ways of tackling the problem: Breaking the walls (and risking getting caught), using the CRAB-17, doing bounties, etc.
The current shuttle is genuinely awful and completely against what SS13 has been doing for years.
I remade the beach away mission
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #617296

If there's a common way to break the pay checkers then the shuttle's gimmick will be positively ruined, a better solution is letting hijackers veto purchased shuttles before they arrive
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #617345

EuSouAFazenda wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:39 am Why the fuck should we, in a game that is infamous for its interlocking systems and creativity have a shuttle that bottlenecks creativity so the only solution is "get money lmao"?
This is a good way to put why I don't like any of the gimmick shuttles, you have a billion different ways to influence how the round develops over time but as soon as one of these shuttles is bought everyone knows exactly what the end of the round is going to be like
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #617347

Armhulen wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:39 am If there's a common way to break the pay checkers then the shuttle's gimmick will be positively ruined, a better solution is letting hijackers veto purchased shuttles before they arrive
Yeah, they're supposed to be indestructible in the way the forcewalls that used to be there were. As soon as the crew can reliably break in the shuttle becomes pointless. You're right that this shuttle isn't the only shuttle that fucks people over in terms of hijacking and just completing an escape objective.
NSFW:

Cosmodeus
Byond Username: Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #617409

Wait... So you're telling me that a traitor which can use one telecrystal to gain 5000 credits in their uplink can't afford to get in the front cabin of a shuttle that forces almost all crew members in the back making it impossible for them to get to you while you hijack the shuttle, and yet still fail to hijack the shuttle?

I have a news flash for you.
This is a skill issue.

EDIT: You can also as a cyborg and AI, teleport into the luxury shuttle via beacon for free.
SECOND EDIT: Also further reinforcing my news flash that this is a skill issue.
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #617446

Traitor is not the only antag dingus
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617453

Noodlecat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:15 am Traitor is not the only antag dingus
It's the only antag with a hijack objective that I'm aware of.
► Show Spoiler
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #617482

Heretics, rev heads after revolutionary fail, heads of staff after rev win, wizards( i legit saw a wizard get cucked by the lux shuttle once and that inspired me to make this post), blood brothers(some down streams have them on) and xenos(also big inspiration for this post as they have no way of getting to the shuttle bridge at all). All these antags can get hijack and get cucked by the lux shuttle.
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #617483

And before all of you compare this to the arena shuttle, the arena shuttle costs lots of money and requires bubblegum to be killed, while the lux shuttle has a very low cost and has zero requirements.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617488

Noodlecat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:42 pm Heretics, rev heads after revolutionary fail, heads of staff after rev win, wizards( i legit saw a wizard get cucked by the lux shuttle once and that inspired me to make this post), blood brothers(some down streams have them on) and xenos(also big inspiration for this post as they have no way of getting to the shuttle bridge at all). All these antags can get hijack and get cucked by the lux shuttle.
Can’t they just murder someone and take their money though? Or break into the morgue and do some grave-robbing?

Xenos are different because they lack normal hands but I don’t think they have any shuttle-related objectives.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #617489

just bump up the cost or otherwise change the requirements if its too easy to get?

Not very luxury if its in every third round.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #617528

Also many captains will buy the shuttle when they call it, giving all antags at most 20 minutes to prepare and completely change their playstyles around an easy to buy shuttle that costs less money than cargo starts with.
In general a single shuttle that costs 7000 cr and has no unlock requirement should be able to fundamentally change an antag’s round, and force them to stop whatever they are doing and get money. And ask yourself, “as an antag how often do I ever collect money?”.

Also the fact that the shuttle is literally indestructible makes it impossible to blow up, also making it a super hard hijack
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #617550

Cobby wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 pm just bump up the cost or otherwise change the requirements if its too easy to get?

Not very luxury if its in every third round.
Kinda wonky tbh that the Raven is both more luxurious and more expensive than the so-called Luxury Shuttle.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #617578

any of the nonstandard shuttles are awful because people don't actually map things that have a design intent behind them, just what they think is cool.
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #617581

oranges wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 pm any of the nonstandard shuttles are awful because people don't actually map things that have a design intent behind them, just what they think is cool.
Based oranges.
Honestly that's the same reason why I hate genetics and mining but that can go in its own thread.
I remade the beach away mission
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #618049

I enjoy the luxury shuttle. It gives me something to work for in a given shift, and even if I don’t make it riding in the back is always fun.
[this space reserved]
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #618072

No gimmick should be as sacred and inviolable as the luxury shuttle's. It's shit.
The thing is, if you enforce the shuttle's gimmick too much(we are here), you limit hijack and stealth potential.
If you don't enforce it enough, the gimmick is easily bypassed and it's no different from the other shuttles.
I wouldn't miss it. It's a grief shuttle in disguise.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #618076

There is nothing wrong with so-called "grief shuttles". Change my mind.
► Show Spoiler
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #618151

I think having to adapt to the changing circumstances of a particular shuttle being bought late-in is a good exercise in creative antagging. I made sure that there was a pathway from steerage into first class through, so even a poor traitor who can't afford their way in could do something interesting like lure in a sec officer and steal their money to get to first class (or alternatively steal small increments from everyone in steerage til they can get up there). It will be an uphill battle for sure if you are an impoverished antag, but it should have atleast some potential for victory.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #618178

Creative antagging isn’t when you are forced via indestructible walls to play in one specific way
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #618180

Noodlecat wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm Creative antagging isn’t when you are forced via indestructible walls to play in one specific way
Rob the vault
Murder people and steal their cash
Break into the morgue and steal cash from the dead
Break into medbay and steal cash from patients
Sell antag gear/stolen items to powergamers on the black market
Do a bounty cube
Comandeer the kitchen/bar and serve robots
Use 1TC to get the cash briefcase
Wear a silly costume and beg for money in departures

And this is just what I thought of in a couple minutes.
► Show Spoiler
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #618182

Either way we should not have a indestructible shuttle
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #618277

But why, if you're so dead set on hijacking, why can't you do some fairly basic antagonistic acts (like Farquar posted). Needing to change your playstyle depending on the circumstances is paramount to SS13
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #618283

Just had a round on Terry where I was one of a select few with enough credits to get into first class and it was unequivocably based. We had enterprising poors with TK throwing food around and attacking us with things and for some reason borgs spacing first class. But we were too wealthy to care. A borg had built a disposal pipe underneath the scanner gate in the shuttle brig, but the other crabs were too busy getting in its way for it to create the disposal trunk necessary for them to leave their bucket, which gave us time to destroy the pipe. Truly heartening stuff. If you could destroy the walls it would ruin it.
NSFW: