Allow operating computers to work with stasis beds again

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Sexmaster
Byond Username: Sexmaster

Re: Allow operating computers to work with stasis beds again

Post by Sexmaster » #632771

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cobby wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:17 pm On the topic of newbie crutch: I don’t care to the extent that I have explicitly said I want MD not to be associated with a newbie job.
This is really out of your control unless you intend on timelocking doctor, which sounds like a terrible idea. New people aren't really going to know that MD is a difficult job without someone explicitly telling them.

Also, everyone has to start med somewhere, making it a pain in the ass to learn in the first place is going to make it more annoying for the people trying to get revived, and the doctors trying to learn.

If med is such an important job, it would be nice to see something that actually assists with healing massive amounts of dead people when shit does hit the fan, such as nukies or blob. Instead of 10 dead people with organs all non-functional because there are just too many people and not enough beds.
Jesus Cressman is forever, you will never get rid of him
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #632774

Sexmaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:29 pm that actually assists with healing massive amounts of dead people when shit does hit the fan, such as nukies or blob. Instead of 10 dead people with organs all non-functional because there are just too many people and not enough beds.
That is working exactly as it is intended, you are **NOT** supposed to be able to heal mass casulties
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #632812

So should rounds end when the majority of crew are dead or do we just want them to log off
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #632832

oranges wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:34 pm
Sexmaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:29 pm that actually assists with healing massive amounts of dead people when shit does hit the fan, such as nukies or blob. Instead of 10 dead people with organs all non-functional because there are just too many people and not enough beds.
That is working exactly as it is intended, you are **NOT** supposed to be able to heal mass casulties
Yes, I'm sure that isn't an unintended side-effect of the system you're now calling a feature. Because it absolutely makes sense that if players are alive and willing to act as doctors that they shouldn't be able to heal everyone within an amount of time that doesn't make it extremely undesirable to attempt.
Unoki
Byond Username: Unoki

Post by Unoki » #632838

The problems of mass organ decay and not enought bed could be solved be adding some kind of stasis bags that can be printed roundstart that could totatly replace the stasis beds since they both would do the same thing.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #632839

Don't morgue trays prevent organ decay? If so, those could be used as a workaround.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #632841

they do
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #632868

Shadowflame909 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:36 am So should rounds end when the majority of crew are dead or do we just want them to log off
they should be ending or investing in podcloning, but ultimately that decision is left up to the alive crew.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #632869

cacogen wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:15 am
oranges wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:34 pm
Yes, I'm sure that isn't an unintended side-effect of the system you're now calling a feature. Because it absolutely makes sense that if players are alive and willing to act as doctors that they shouldn't be able to heal everyone within an amount of time that doesn't make it extremely undesirable to attempt.
it might make sense in your vision for the game, but not in mine, so this is basically irrelevant, you could attempt to offer a defence of why your approach is better than them being forced to resort to podcloning or calling the shuttle instead though.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #632913

1000 hour medic mains saying organ decay is a skill issue because they know how to prevent it and noobies can learn this fairly easily.

Counterpoint: there is no downside to making it marginally easier for new doctors to heal patients by slowing organ decay, and/or making operating computers work with stasis beds. Formaldehyde and epi-pens have been around for a very long time, haven't they? Saying "just have people use them" is a nonstarter. The whole question being asked here is why shouldn't operating computers work with stasis beds? The only arguments I've heard have been, because epi-pens are easy to order from cargo, and it's not a big deal. That doesn't at all address the thread. The other argument which at least addressed the thread was Cobby's which suggested it's good to make revivals harder for doctors over time.

And yet, heretic was changed drastically to prevent round-removal. Coders and admins always talk about it being important to keep people in the game, and that playstyles which RR people are bad, even as traitors. Even traitor murder objectives have been modified to where RR is unnecessary. It's contradictory to make all these changes, with the intention of keeping people in the game, while also stubbornly pitting oneself against making revivals marginally more tolerable for new overwhelmed doctors.
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #632957

Sexmaster wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:29 pm
Cobby wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:17 pm On the topic of newbie crutch: I don’t care to the extent that I have explicitly said I want MD not to be associated with a newbie job.
This is really out of your control unless you intend on timelocking doctor, which sounds like a terrible idea. New people aren't really going to know that MD is a difficult job without someone explicitly telling them.

Also, everyone has to start med somewhere, making it a pain in the ass to learn in the first place is going to make it more annoying for the people trying to get revived, and the doctors trying to learn.

If med is such an important job, it would be nice to see something that actually assists with healing massive amounts of dead people when shit does hit the fan, such as nukies or blob. Instead of 10 dead people with organs all non-functional because there are just too many people and not enough beds.
Im pretty sure the engineering jobs arent timelocked and they arent exactly newbie friendly. When I say i dont want it associated with a newbie job I mean on the levels of cargo tech, I'm perfectly fine with people testing the waters and the natural consequences of someone who is not efficient working on someone including myself.

More beds can be made, departments should ideally "upgrade" themselves to fit unique needs of the station (or in medicals case upgrade to prevent unique needs overwhelming them). If the playerbase refuses to utilize the fact that items can be built and moved on top of upgraded on a per-machine basis while also refusing to let their skill make up for it then yeah sometimes youre going to be running sub-optimally.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #632958

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:25 am 1000 hour medic mains saying organ decay is a skill issue because they know how to prevent it and noobies can learn this fairly easily.

Counterpoint: there is no downside to making it marginally easier for new doctors to heal patients by slowing organ decay, and/or making operating computers work with stasis beds. Formaldehyde and epi-pens have been around for a very long time, haven't they? Saying "just have people use them" is a nonstarter. The whole question being asked here is why shouldn't operating computers work with stasis beds? The only arguments I've heard have been, because epi-pens are easy to order from cargo, and it's not a big deal. That doesn't at all address the thread. The other argument which at least addressed the thread was Cobby's which suggested it's good to make revivals harder for doctors over time.

And yet, heretic was changed drastically to prevent round-removal. Coders and admins always talk about it being important to keep people in the game, and that playstyles which RR people are bad, even as traitors. Even traitor murder objectives have been modified to where RR is unnecessary. It's contradictory to make all these changes, with the intention of keeping people in the game, while also stubbornly pitting oneself against making revivals marginally more tolerable for new overwhelmed doctors.
Im not a big heretic player so correct me if Im wrong but I dont find it "revival should be more difficult so death has impact" while also "we dont want easy to perform complete body annihilation (obviously still some forms in the game but we dont encourage more being added)" contradicting.

It's a balancing act, you want death to matter but you dont want to hand mass-death out like candy. My general philosophy for medical is it should be as rewarding to take someone out of the round as it is bringing them back in, and you cant have that when you get easy-access lolnope tactics.

Swerving back into thread topic, my main goal is to have 2 distinct items with tradeoffs (i like tradeoffs). Having something thats the best of both worlds just encourages you to choose that one consistently and takes that decision making (Im aware its not exactly a hard decision currently which is why I want them to be more competitive) which takes out the complexity of the game imo.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #632965

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:25 am It's contradictory to make all these changes, with the intention of keeping people in the game, while also stubbornly pitting oneself against making revivals marginally more tolerable for new overwhelmed doctors.
it's not, you're conflating the fact that we want to see less round removals for individual antags (because it's only fun for that player), with the fact that revival isn't meant to be easy.

Those are two unrelated things, it's just that one feeds inputs, more or less into the other.

We can simultaneously not want mass round removal from individual antags, and hold the position that revival is hard, and that is absolutely not contradictory, and every action we've made so far is entirely consistent with that position.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #632969

Cobby wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:40 pm Swerving back into thread topic, my main goal is to have 2 distinct items with tradeoffs (i like tradeoffs). Having something thats the best of both worlds just encourages you to choose that one consistently and takes that decision making (Im aware its not exactly a hard decision currently which is why I want them to be more competitive) which takes out the complexity of the game imo.
What's the current plan to make them more competitive?

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #633198

nothing concrete yet I just know I dont want everything to be provided under le epic stasis bed :smug:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633228

If we need filler we could jack the surgery speed bonus of a surgery table like way up, like HUGE, and see if people start using them. Then, if it's too much, dial it back with a couple of nerfs until it still feels good but not excessive.

Another thing to consider is that giving medical access to more roundstart formaldehyde and/or an easier way to inject 1u doses of it would be a significant buff to surgery beds relative to stasis, though probably still not enough to make them worth using.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #633266

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:33 am If we need filler we could jack the surgery speed bonus of a surgery table like way up, like HUGE, and see if people start using them. Then, if it's too much, dial it back with a couple of nerfs until it still feels good but not excessive.

Another thing to consider is that giving medical access to more roundstart formaldehyde and/or an easier way to inject 1u doses of it would be a significant buff to surgery beds relative to stasis, though probably still not enough to make them worth using.
Maybe have a middle ground with both? Instead of amping up surgery table speed by, say, 100%, do it by 50%, and slow down stasis surgery speed by 50%.

And if making formal available roundstart somehow is too much of a compromise, remove the secondary effect of reduced surgery speed from Cryostaline.

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #633313

Given the operating computer is a QoL and instructive thing, it shouldn't come into balance considerations at all.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #633315

FWIW Cobby already told me a while back that linking operating computers with stasis beds for the sake of showing health/what surgery steps to do was fine. Getting advanced surgeries is different and definitely balance related and can absolutely be considered.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #633316

Yeah, that would be fair game to limit on stasis beds if deemed necessary (though I think revival is already tedious enough).
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633330

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:55 am FWIW Cobby already told me a while back that linking operating computers with stasis beds for the sake of showing health/what surgery steps to do was fine.
I fucking beg you both, I cannot emphasize enough how much new MD players need this.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #633712

i saw mothblocks start an advanced surgery on a surgery table and then drag the corpse to a stasis bed

when will you guys revert this already?
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #633737

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:25 pm i saw mothblocks start an advanced surgery on a surgery table and then drag the corpse to a stasis bed
Is this bug abuse? Why does he want it to be so torturous for the players when he’s happy to exploit oversights to make it easier for himself?
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #633743

actually 1984.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #633751

cacogen wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:29 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:25 pm i saw mothblocks start an advanced surgery on a surgery table and then drag the corpse to a stasis bed
Is this bug abuse? Why does he want it to be so torturous for the players when he’s happy to exploit oversights to make it easier for himself?
it's not a conspiracy theory you dunce. god you are so stupid. she just used a shortcut. there's no ulterior motive.

Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #633764

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:28 pm
it's not a conspiracy theory you dunce. god you are so stupid. she just used a shortcut. there's no ulterior motive.
actually 1984
Living God

Extraordinary Person

iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #633767

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:28 pmit's not a conspiracy theory you dunce. god you are so stupid. she just used a shortcut. there's no ulterior motive.
Shortcut? To allow advanced surgeries that require an operating computer to be performed on a stasis bed. While the exact change is to delink those two things to prevent it and create "more diverse bed usage"?

It's a work around. And since its working around an intended change, it's more of an exploit. It's also pretty well known and has been for a very long time now, though as always the new players probably suffer most from not knowing all the "tricks".

Otherwise it would just be a QOL change to allow advanced tend wounds directly on stasis beds rather than doing a really dumb shuffle of the corpse between two tables. But I'm pretty sure trying to PR that will get blocked as its directly against what this original change intended. (and if it isn't blocked, bring it on, advanced tend is pretty much the only real thing lost when these things were unlinked)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #633771

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:28 pm
Yeah, it's definitely not a conspiracy theory because there's no conspiracy and you saw it with your own eyes. If what you're saying is accurate, he was taking advantage of unintended functionality to get around a limitation deliberately imposed for balance reasons, while simultaneously supporting that limitation here.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #633860

that's cringe
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #633862

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:41 am that's cringe
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #634105

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:55 am FWIW Cobby already told me a while back that linking operating computers with stasis beds for the sake of showing health/what surgery steps to do was fine. Getting advanced surgeries is different and definitely balance related and can absolutely be considered.
so is anyone going to do it or is this thread just full of whiners?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #635024

Yes linking to stasis beds is fine outside of providing additional surgeries.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #635026

oranges wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:21 pm
Mothblocks wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:55 am FWIW Cobby already told me a while back that linking operating computers with stasis beds for the sake of showing health/what surgery steps to do was fine. Getting advanced surgeries is different and definitely balance related and can absolutely be considered.
nobody cares about being able to see health because you can use your health scanner

also the surgery steps aren't helpful in general because 1. it doesnt show a picture of the tool 2. sometimes they're "Fix brain" - if i dont know the surgery steps to a surgery then i'll pull up the wiki because it actually tells me what tool im supposed to use

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #635041

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:29 pm
oranges wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:21 pm
nobody cares about being able to see health because you can use your health scanner

also the surgery steps aren't helpful in general because 1. it doesnt show a picture of the tool 2. sometimes they're "Fix brain" - if i dont know the surgery steps to a surgery then i'll pull up the wiki because it actually tells me what tool im supposed to use
If you can't figure out the tool from the surgery step name it's probably hemostat.
If it's not hemostat it's scalpel.
If it's not scalpel it's hands.
Save for wound-related surgeries the only noteworthy exception to this is the fat removal surgery.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #635051

i also forgot to say that if someone stole the LIMITED supply surgery computers to make them hook up with the stasis beds just so they can see HEALTH i would legit go psycho mode and probably kill and space them

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #635072

iwishforducks wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:03 am i also forgot to say that if someone stole the LIMITED supply surgery computers to make them hook up with the stasis beds just so they can see HEALTH i would legit go psycho mode and probably kill and space them
Just put the surgery bed to another side of the surgery computer, assuming this doesn't break that.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #635082

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:40 am
iwishforducks wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:03 am i also forgot to say that if someone stole the LIMITED supply surgery computers to make them hook up with the stasis beds just so they can see HEALTH i would legit go psycho mode and probably kill and space them
Just put the surgery bed to another side of the surgery computer, assuming this doesn't break that.
operating computers can only link to one table/bed at a time

Booktower
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Booktower

Post by Booktower » #635740

Cobby wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:33 pm stasis beds arent truly limited, you can plaster them all over the place if you wanted. The "issue" is you dont, but that doesnt mean it's something i just dont have to consider until you do it every round.

Trying to explain that its a nonissue then going on a soapbox about how its inconvenient to the point where it matters as to whether you do it or not seems to suggest it isnt just a nonissue, the more well hidden a body is (or the less time you put in time to get them alive) the more you have to work on the body (perhaps to the point where borging/new body is preferable, which comes with its own pros and cons). That gets thrown out of the window when you add stasis beds into the mix because you dont have to have someone actively working on them.

Again, if the only downside of the bed is that there are limited amounts in a game where you can easily get the components to make more of them, you're going to have to do a better job selling me that they're not super strong.
Hiding a body does not get thrown out of the window at all, stasis beds cannot prevent decay of a body while it is hidden and not in medbay yet.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #635798

Which is why I added the portion about (or the less time you put in time to get them alive). A body that is not catered to outside of a reasonable timeframe should also come with downsides, hence why stasis beds getting thrown into the mix hampers that.

The generic design is the more ignored a body goes be it through hiding or not in the process of fixing it, the more work needs to be done to fix it when you do get around to doing it.