How has departmental orders gone so far?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

How has departmental orders gone so far?

Post by Armhulen » #620504

I wanted to collect some feedback and see how this is going. If you have some feedback specific to the feature, share away
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Re: How has departmental orders gone so far?

Post by Googles_Hands » #620507

I've got a question, when you order something as a member of an department it says that the Head of Staff can revoke the order, how's that work, via the Head of Staff's tablet or via the console?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #620508

I didn't know they existed until someone showed me, they're nice but I haven't been using them too much
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #620510

I like to order contraband as chef and put it in my kitchen for enviromental cqc(I combo with shit around me)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #620512

very few people know they actually exist. they're pretty damn useful, too, though the supply drop machine is far better if cargo is doing well. i rarely see cargo tekkies actually deliver them, its usually whoever ordered them popping down to cargo.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #620513

Googles_Hands wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:13 am I've got a question, when you order something as a member of an department it says that the Head of Staff can revoke the order, how's that work, via the Head of Staff's tablet or via the console?
They press the big red button on the console it was ordered on. It becomes unable for revoking when the crate has been sent on the cargo console.
Mothblocks wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:25 am I didn't know they existed until someone showed me
ardentarclight wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:07 am very few people know they actually exist.
I think awareness on both orderer and supplier needs to be much higher for this to really get out there, from what I've been spectating myself I see what you guys are talking about. Maybe I should add a readable section to the cargo console...?
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #620518

ardentarclight wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:07 am i rarely see cargo tekkies actually deliver them, its usually whoever ordered them popping down to cargo.
IDK if i'm blind or something, but the last time I played techie and saw one of these crates, I had no idea who to deliver it to. There wasn't anything special on the shipping manifest from what I could tell.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #620519

datorangebottle wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:00 am
ardentarclight wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:07 am i rarely see cargo tekkies actually deliver them, its usually whoever ordered them popping down to cargo.
IDK if i'm blind or something, but the last time I played techie and saw one of these crates, I had no idea who to deliver it to. There wasn't anything special on the shipping manifest from what I could tell.
It doesn't say where its from so cargo tech's don't ask who's order it is and it either gets left or not delievered,

TL;DR make it so they know which department it is from.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #620523

I've been seeing medical use it most of all. Blood packs, medipens, all that good stuff. Chefs are mostly ordering the express it seems.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #620524

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:11 amChefs are mostly ordering the express it seems.
It takes so long to get my godamn delivery as a chef I just express it.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #620525

I kind of miss being able to stamp the paper right infront of people at the requests console, now I never see the papers as no one brings it to cargo
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #620532

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:11 am I've been seeing medical use it most of all. Blood packs, medipens, all that good stuff.
Makes sense. Science, engineering, service, and sec can generally get away with what they start with. Medbay has consumable supplies and they run out quickly, not even accounting for people just taking entire medkits.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #620541

I use them all the time as HoS, they're incredibly useful but cargo almost always plays no role in it. Most of the time cargo will either steal your crates for themselves, sell them back, or cancel your orders, so you kinda have to be super proactive in ordering --> unloading --> retrieving as your department. Apart from that I love them.
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #620542

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 pm Most of the time cargo will either steal your crates for themselves, sell them back, or cancel your orders, so you kinda have to be super proactive in ordering --> unloading --> retrieving as your department. Apart from that I love them.
I did not go far enough it seems. The stupid part about cargo cracking dep order crates is that they'd just earn enough money bringing it somewhere to where they'd be able to order the crate themselves
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #620543

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:25 am I didn't know they existed until someone showed me, they're nice but I haven't been using them too much
Also wasn't initially aware they existed, and still not sure on how to actually order one, and then after that not sure how to make sure it actually reaches me.
Armhulen wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:30 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 pm Most of the time cargo will either steal your crates for themselves, sell them back, or cancel your orders, so you kinda have to be super proactive in ordering --> unloading --> retrieving as your department. Apart from that I love them.
I did not go far enough it seems. The stupid part about cargo cracking dep order crates is that they'd just earn enough money bringing it somewhere to where they'd be able to order the crate themselves
How are they informed of the destination and the reward for bringing it there? I haven't cargoteched lately.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #620550

It's an examine on the crate atm.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #620551

I used it once to order a huge scrubber crate as an atmospheric technician. Weren't any issues aside from a short wait for cargo. Usually they aren't that prompt though. I didn't like seeing the message that a head of staff could override my order on a whim but I don't think there's enough competition to order things for that to happen at the moment. I initially wasn't aware of the system until someone mentioned it IC and it's not something that I usually think of or can think of a use for when I do. Which is not to say it isn't useful, just that if the feature were better advertised and useful crates for specific departments were better known it would receive more use. Maybe making the sprite of the console more unique, or contain text alluding to its purpose or something would draw attention to it. You could add random posters advertising useful departmental crates too (but this is probably not a realistic suggestion given the work involved).
Armhulen wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:50 am It's an examine on the crate atm.
You could add an overlay to the crate that's like shiny money hologram ₵₵₵₵. Like the cursed locker sprite for lockers the locker staff the wizard has creates Image. Then people will know it's a paid delivery crate, that it can't be opened until it's delivered and will be enticed by how shiny and futuristic it looks into interacting with the feature. It could be in a similar style to the bounty cubes, which would be consistent and make it more intuitive.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #620610

I've made it my objective to yell loudly on the radio about departmental orders and go out of my way to teach people how to do them if nobody does after I yell.

BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #621025

Kilo service orders don't have a destination set for them. Across multiple rounds I've had to simply break open the crates.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #621074

Made this pr to address feedback in the thread: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/63159
BrianBackslide wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:40 am Kilo service orders don't have a destination set for them. Across multiple rounds I've had to simply break open the crates.
Will open a fix today
BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #621156

Appreciated! I also kinda dislike how we can't open them except in the specific location to unlock them. For instance, I ordered a butterfly crate on Delta, but if I opened it in the service hall, then they'd all scatter and I'd lose a few even if I opened and closed it quickly, when I wanted to open it in the pen I had set up for them.

Could the crates be unlocked without having to open them? Bit of an edge case, I know.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #621160

Sounds good yeah, after the feature freeze i'll add a special click to remove the delivery lock without opening
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621165

ID-locked or something?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #621170

Area locked, though sometimes it can be ID and area locked.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #621214

i feel like the cooldowns are weird, do the orders not draw from department budget already?
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #621223

JusticeGoat wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:33 pm i feel like the cooldowns are weird, do the orders not draw from department budget already?
I think theyre just free with cooldowns.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #621224

Rageguy505 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am
JusticeGoat wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:33 pm i feel like the cooldowns are weird, do the orders not draw from department budget already?
I think theyre just free with cooldowns.
Correct!
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #621704

I noticed significantly less bounties being done, if any at all (on terry at least), I speculate this is due to the fact that people wanted to contribute to the stations budget and now think: "Yeah, those dudes will order crates and get a shitton of money, why bother doing bounties?". I personally would delete departmental orders if it get's people doing bounties back.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #621710

I'm not like, the biggest fan of bounties really since it is just bringing your job items to cargo and getting cash, whereas dep. orders has around the same level of depth (none) for the purchasers but gives cargo tasks to do themselves.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621757

Armhulen wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:37 pm I'm not like, the biggest fan of bounties really since it is just bringing your job items to cargo and getting cash, whereas dep. orders has around the same level of depth (none) for the purchasers but gives cargo tasks to do themselves.
Saaaame.

Some are cool (Virologist bounties!)
Some are boring as shit (Assistant bounties!)
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #621899

i like em
BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #622343

After having played a round as acting cap where I ran around ordering freebies, they do kinda make it more obvious that Cargo needs more crates and things to order. I still don't see QMs screaming over the radio to order free stuff, and most cargonians are too lazy to even deliver the items even though they get money for it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #622594

every time we put things into cargo some shithead ends up mapping it into the map, super frustrating.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622600

I don't get why so many cargo players are so determined not to play cargo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #622613

It's boring. Make delivering shit cool and fun and people will want to do it more. Make loading stuff into the shuttle and stamping manifests less of a chore, too. I'd do the latter myself if I didn't think oranges was going to step on it.
Last edited by cacogen on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #622633

cacogen wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:56 pm It's boring. Make delivering shit cool and fun and people will want to do it more.
Ideas?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #622638

Armhulen wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:59 am Ideas?
Add cargo specific crate wrestling. I want to body slam crates from the cargo bay onto the cargo shuttle. Since crates are limited this should be a fun way to get rid of them all
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #622640

Armhulen wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:59 am
cacogen wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:56 pm It's boring. Make delivering shit cool and fun and people will want to do it more.
Ideas?
I was thinking a version of the slime console for loading and unloading crates as an unlockable upgrade at some point similar to the express shuttle console and maybe for delivering stuff too but I think the latter would trivialise delivery rather than enhance it and be too overpowered.

I do quite like delivering multiple crates on MetaStation using the mech you get there but it's slow and clunky. Something along those lines though. Some fun way of delivering multiple crates to different departments at once. Some sort of tethering system between crates to drag a chain of them maybe. I always wanted to make crates able to push each other to make it so that they could be moved around more efficiently but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

While I'm sharing ideas about making it so cargo jobs actually get done, I'd quite like it if the express shuttle console pods could be used to return crates too instead of just ordering them. Inevitably with that console you end up with a huge amount of crates and manifests piled up in cargo and cargo staff are usually too lazy especially that late in the shift to load them onto the shuttle and send it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #622694

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:24 pm I don't get why so many cargo players are so determined not to play cargo
Their game content keeps getting taken away and put on the maps at roundstart, it erodes the dept and leads to people picking the role to do other things rather than the original intent, honestly you can't really blame them, it's more a symptom of the issue with the job design.

also I'd rather make the mech (or a future cargo modsuit) more easy to use than an adv camera console approach.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #622706

cacogen wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:25 am
Armhulen wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:59 am
Ideas?
I was thinking a version of the slime console for loading and unloading crates as an unlockable upgrade at some point similar to the express shuttle console and maybe for delivering stuff too but I think the latter would trivialise delivery rather than enhance it and be too overpowered.

I do quite like delivering multiple crates on MetaStation using the mech you get there but it's slow and clunky. Something along those lines though. Some fun way of delivering multiple crates to different departments at once. Some sort of tethering system between crates to drag a chain of them maybe. I always wanted to make crates able to push each other to make it so that they could be moved around more efficiently but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

While I'm sharing ideas about making it so cargo jobs actually get done, I'd quite like it if the express shuttle console pods could be used to return crates too instead of just ordering them. Inevitably with that console you end up with a huge amount of crates and manifests piled up in cargo and cargo staff are usually too lazy especially that late in the shift to load them onto the shuttle and send it.
tethering crates together sounds fantastic
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622717

It's time to finally make MULEs what they were meant to be: Little cars with a caterpillar trail of carts behind them that they can use to trap themselves in corners in maintenance, then scream for Engineers to free them from
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #623516

It's slightly annoying how restrictive the crates are about what counts as 'delivered', like ordering stuff as a chef you have to take the crate to the lathe room to open it when it should just open in the kitchen
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #623517

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:11 am It's slightly annoying how restrictive the crates are about what counts as 'delivered', like ordering stuff as a chef you have to take the crate to the lathe room to open it when it should just open in the kitchen
its fine on meta, anywhere else its a pain in the ass.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #624825

based, redpilled, but please change from short-long cooldown to numbers
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #624826

Extremely based and redpilled, however please make it so i can see the actual number cooldowns
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #624833

Visible cooldown (at least to nearest minute) would be cool.

How many ways are there (if there are multiple) to send orders, anyway?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #625065

On uh Ice Box I think you had to open medical crates in the central primary hallway instead of in medical which was cool because I'd just dump their shit outside cargo and fuck off. No, I'd actually bring it around to the opposite side of the hallway close to medbay then dump it and fuck off.

It needs a floating holographic lock symbol that's brown like cargo so you can tell at a glance "oh, it's one of these shitties, you're going to have to drag this halfway across the station for no personal gain" instead of having to examine it. Even though you'd still have to examine it for the location to bring it to. I just think it would be better if the magically locked crates had some sort of visual distinction that also hints at the mechanism that prevents them opening (e.g. being wrapped in hardlight).

You should add a handling tip like what I did with cubes, tbvh. The person who successfully opens the crate first gets like a 10% cut. Cargo personnel could use HAUL gauntlets to prevent plebs stealing their tips.