Tint

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Tint

Post by Mailbox » #621277

Can we please removed the smeared black shit on the screen that you get when using gasmask and sunglasses. If I wanted the autentic vision from wearing sunglasses I would just wear some while playing the game. I don't see how it is a feature putting black shit on the screen making vision ugly.

Can we please just try and make the game fun and pleasing to look at and not let ghilker put in his grief features ruining the game, thank you.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Re: Tint

Post by Googles_Hands » #621286

Can we please remove the blindness effect that you get when having your eyes destroyed? If I wanted the authetic vision from having my eyes non-functioning I would just stab myself with a screwdriver in the eyes IRL before playing the game. I don't see (lol btw) how it is a feature putting black shit on the screen making vision ugly.

In summary, cope.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #621287

Mailbox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:06 pm Can we please removed the smeared black shit on the screen that you get when using gasmask and sunglasses. If I wanted the autentic vision from wearing sunglasses I would just wear some while playing the game. I don't see how it is a feature putting black shit on the screen making vision ugly.

Can we please just try and make the game fun and pleasing to look at and not let ghilker put in his grief features ruining the game, thank you.
A) this is my feature

B) not until i've tested it to my satisfaction.

C) don't attack the wrong people it makes you look like an absolute clown.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #621290

I think discouraging people from passively wearing masks is good, but that this wasn’t the best way to go about it. It’d be a wonky solution, but having the drawbacks only apply when ambient temperature is normal would kinda be neat. So that way there’s no issue when you use them as intended. (and maybe make it something less annoying than a tint?)
[this space reserved]
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #621291

wesoda25 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:11 pmSo that way there’s no issue when you use them as intended. (and maybe make it something less annoying than a tint?)
I got it: Whenever you're wearing a gasmask, your voice can be heard from fewer tiles away, and this sound plays to everyone standing close to you.
► Show Spoiler
Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #621293

oranges wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Mailbox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:06 pm Can we please removed the smeared black shit on the screen that you get when using gasmask and sunglasses. If I wanted the autentic vision from wearing sunglasses I would just wear some while playing the game. I don't see how it is a feature putting black shit on the screen making vision ugly.

A) this is my feature

sorry for being a assclown, from reading his messages I interpet it as his own feature.

I really don't like it when it obscures my view with helmets and sunglasses as these are tools you need to just do your job as sec. The gasmask has been mostly a cometic choice and if it makes less people using it. going undercover and hiding your identity becomes imposible as you are the only one or one of the few people using the mask so being stealth becomes less viable.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #621294

Mailbox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 pm

A) this is my feature

sorry for being a assclown, from reading his messages I interpet it as his own feature.

I really don't like it when it obscures my view with helmets and sunglasses as these are tools you need to just do your job as sec. The gasmask has been mostly a cometic choice and if it makes less people using it. going undercover and hiding your identity becomes imposible as you are the only one or one of the few people using the mask so being stealth becomes less viable.
Have you considered only wearing the mask while doing sus things instead of always having it on?
Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #621297

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm
Mailbox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 pm

A) this is my feature

Have you considered only wearing the mask while doing sus things instead of always having it on?
so it is super obvious when I am bad..... that removes it's porpose i. How are you suppose to blend in if it screams to everyone around you are doing bad stuff.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #621299

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm Have you considered only wearing the mask while doing sus things instead of always having it on?
Better yet, you could get creative and use any of the other easy to acquire face obscuring masks, see: bandana, balaclava, space helmet, mangling your face unrecognizably, spraypaint
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #621300

Have you tried wearing a chicken mask?
► Show Spoiler
Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #621303

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:30 pm
Rohen_Tahir wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm Have you considered only wearing the mask while doing sus things instead of always having it on?
Better yet, you could get creative and use any of the other easy to acquire face obscuring masks, see: bandana, balaclava, space helmet, mangling your face unrecognizably, spraypaint
so you think they should add tint to the other masks too because they obscure your face?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #621305

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621306

oranges wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:06 pm A) this is my feature
While I'm thinking of it, I never went after gas masks much since you can grab them from fire closets whenever there's a serious need.

What advantages do they offer over any other mask, save anonymizing you and not burning off from high temperature?

Is the Welding Gas Mask better because it's a Gamer Research Thing that you have to actually invent and print, or is that an oversight that it doesn't have the awful overlay?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #621312

i think the tint should just be like how our old vision tint worked, where it wasn't gradual but rather a complete cut off after a certain amount of tiles. i shouldnt have to strain my eyes against the monitor to get the authentic Gas Mask Experience
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #621318

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:03 am i think the tint should just be like how our old vision tint worked, where it wasn't gradual but rather a complete cut off after a certain amount of tiles. i shouldnt have to strain my eyes against the monitor to get the authentic Gas Mask Experience
This is how I would like it to work.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #621319

Mailbox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 pm so you think they should add tint to the other masks too because they obscure your face?
What about my message made you draw that conclusion?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #621320

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 am
Mailbox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 pm so you think they should add tint to the other masks too because they obscure your face?
What about my message made you draw that conclusion?
Why do you think the gasmask needs to be tinted?
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #621332

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:03 am i think the tint should just be like how our old vision tint worked, where it wasn't gradual but rather a complete cut off after a certain amount of tiles. i shouldnt have to strain my eyes against the monitor to get the authentic Gas Mask Experience
+1
[this space reserved]
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #621337

► Show Spoiler
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #621341

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's as bad as people say but who uses gas masks anyway? What's the advantage? There are more subtle masks for concealing your identity and breath masks can be toggled to eat without having to take them off.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #621343

cacogen wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:12 am I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's as bad as people say but who uses gas masks anyway? What's the advantage? There are more subtle masks for concealing your identity and breath masks can be toggled to eat without having to take them off.
there is no advantage to gasmask's anymore, I just wear bio hood's nowadays.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #621345

It wouldn't be as bad if the circle of light surrounding your character wasn't there. That circle is what makes the effect look terrible and hurt your eyes.

I made a comparison:
gasmask1.png
gasmkas2.png
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #621358

we should change it
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #621376

oranges wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:49 am we should change it
Wyci
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #621379

Mailbox wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 am
Why do you think the gasmask needs to be tinted?
I don't 8-)
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #621394

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:08 pm
oranges wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:49 am we should change it
Wyci
ah fuck
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #621404

why did gasmasks need a nerf anyways, i always wore one cuz it looks cool and now i cant cause it makes you blind which is really annoying, what idiot came up with this
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #621510

I'm going to echo the eyestrain issue, and I don't think removing the oval light is going to be a solution. I actually think the darkness of the tint making things blurry and having to constantly strain to see isn't exactly a pleasant play experience, and I couldn't stand it for very long at all, and that isn't a vision restriction problem but just it being uncomfortable. IRL vision tests aren't a very good or universal solution for this feature's goal, since I have to wonder if this might vary based on monitor and resolution.

I know oranges has seen it already and a few folk including myself were talking about it on the discord, but unironically I think Skyrat's FoV thing with a cone of vision would be a fantastic alternative to this if ported only for gas masks. It would effectively accomplish a similar task but without resorting to a screen wide filter.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #621514

If I'm missing something, feel free to mention it, but these were all the reasons I could find that gasmasks were nerfed:
1. No downside to wearing them constantly to instantly counter a hostile atmosphere by turning internals on.
2. Hides your identity with a different ID.
3. Passive pepperspray protection.

Counterpoint:
1. Every internals mask can be worn passively to turn internals on and counter a hostile atmosphere - it isn't unique to gasmasks.
2. You cannot speak with a normal gasmask and a different ID, or else you give up your true identity. It's a trade-off. Any helmet or other form of mask accomplishes the same thing.
3. Why not make gasmasks that are hit with pepperspray become stained with a red tint that blinds you until washed? This would solve the pepperspray issue without nuking them entirely.

Gasmasks as they stand after the tint nerf are obsolete. They are objectively worse than a normal internals mask, and no one is trading any amount of vision loss for pepperspray protection, especially with how weak and unused pepperspray is currently.
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #621517

i don't see how this strains your eyes, if anything the reduced brightness should be easier on your eyes. it seems like a dumb and pointless change but also a silly thing to care about. if oranges' sauron eye is on something inconsequential like gas masks then it is not on something consequential like my add: PRs
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #621678

The tint is pretty steep if that’s just the gas mask overlay, I like the unintentional buff to non-glasses huds though (they have a use when you want to wear the gmask).

Otherwise think it’s fine the gas mask has a lot of compounding bonuses as Sinful displayed (but didn’t add together) so there should be some trade offs there even if we decide tint isn’t the con we want.

Edit: can you get around the tint OOCly via brightness or something? Seems like the constraint maybe should be a bit more IC bounded that isn’t as variable as relying on monitor specs or really anyone with good eyes oocly.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #621679

I understand the idea of removing gas masks as a meta idea. Seeing more assistants wearing bandanas and costume heads would be cool. But the blind effect makes me want to move 360 degrees and walk away from my screen.

I like the pepper spray blinding gas-masks idea. Gives pepper spray a much needed buff, but it also makes it so you don't get hard-stunned because you picked up a gas mask.

Tear Gas should also blind gas-masks.
► Show Spoiler
Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #621861

My biggest issue with this is that it makes a must have item(sunglasses) make the screen ugly.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #621862

It makes the screen ugly on its own. I think that there being negatives from wearing it with sunglasses is great but God it really just hurts to look at.
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #621876

So I played atmospheric technician today for the first time since this change was made and it affects the gas mask you're given and not that I need to use it and can't just change to a breath mask or something but it is pretty annoying, particularly the circle of light, at least until you get used to it and forget it's there. Thank God it doesn't affect welding gas masks.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #621883

Tint is being replaced by FoV mechanic changes instead, which will fix the visual issues, and is probably a lesser nerf, but still a nerf to things that protect against pepper and have eye protect.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #621891

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:12 pm 3. Why not make gasmasks that are hit with pepperspray become stained with a red tint that blinds you until washed? This would solve the pepperspray issue without nuking them entirely.
Honestly think this is the best point in the entire thread.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #621918

it hurts my eyes and it sucks
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #622239

it’s funny that you people see this as anything other than an attempt by ghilker to nerf things protecting the crew against his retardedly overpowered shitpissium gases, not like he had something like 11 PRs already, that are all designed to nerf gas masks or EVA helmets. Practically every feature PR ghilker makes is intended to let him powergame atmos, but ghilker reeeally hates when people use gas masks and block his instant knockdown 20 toxin damage 10^1337C 1 gorillion kpa gas with easily available tools so he can’t kill the entire station by wrenching one canister into station internals!

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/54689
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/56968
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/56999
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/57024
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/58529
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/59895
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/60461
and those don’t include undocumented stealth nerfs, and ghilker loooooves undocumented additions such as that time he added a fucking gas that lets you hear ghosts (not in the documentation lol). This was never about realism, this was always about atmos buffs and powergaming. This is a shit nerf, a nerf that exists for no reason other than buffing atmos again like tgstation maintainers have been doing for years now.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #622240

Brother we already removed it, what are you on
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #622243

TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:09 am Brother we already removed it, what are you on
Screenshot_20211216-131039.png
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #622266

Flatulent wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 am it’s funny that you people see this as anything other than an attempt by ghilker to nerf things protecting the crew against his retardedly overpowered shitpissium gases, not like he had something like 11 PRs already, that are all designed to nerf gas masks or EVA helmets. Practically every feature PR ghilker makes is intended to let him powergame atmos, but ghilker reeeally hates when people use gas masks and block his instant knockdown 20 toxin damage 10^1337C 1 gorillion kpa gas with easily available tools so he can’t kill the entire station by wrenching one canister into station internals!

and those don’t include undocumented stealth nerfs, and ghilker loooooves undocumented additions such as that time he added a fucking gas that lets you hear ghosts (not in the documentation lol). This was never about realism, this was always about atmos buffs and powergaming. This is a shit nerf, a nerf that exists for no reason other than buffing atmos again like tgstation maintainers have been doing for years now.
I agree with your post, this is yet another ghilker bad faith attempt at nerfing things that get in the way of him turning the station horizontal via atmos powergame.
He can't even be bothered to make up a convincing justification under the "Why It's Good For The Game" section of his PR.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #622269

TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:09 am Brother we already removed it, what are you on
the funny ghost gas? Yes, I am aware. I am here just because it’s funny to see people react to ghilker in the exact same way as 3/6/9/12+ months ago. I don’t NEED to log on terry anymore to know that Ghilker keeps doing the exact same shit since he joined the server. However, this time the shitty gas mask nerfs are endorsed because apparently atmos are still not good enough after years of powercreep. Glad im out of this shithole.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #622271

Flatulent you said you weren't going to post
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #622273

They really killed security gas masks with this. I had to replace the sechailer that came in my box with a breath mask so I could breathe while also being able to see who was coming up behind me.

I was also part of a round where FoV affected everyone regardless of what they were wearing and while I'm sure I would get used to it eventually it's just a worse way to play the game. Someone pointed out *spin had become a powerful new emote to spam to see behind you when you were running.

It's also interesting to learn that oranges unwittingly ended up championing a PR that was part of a larger project by one player to make atmos more powerful for their own benefit.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #622281

>unwittingly

you really cannot be this naive
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #622283

Flatulent wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 am it’s funny that you people see this as anything other than an attempt by ghilker to nerf things protecting the crew against his retardedly overpowered shitpissium gases, not like he had something like 11 PRs already, that are all designed to nerf gas masks or EVA helmets. Practically every feature PR ghilker makes is intended to let him powergame atmos, but ghilker reeeally hates when people use gas masks and block his instant knockdown 20 toxin damage 10^1337C 1 gorillion kpa gas with easily available tools so he can’t kill the entire station by wrenching one canister into station internals!

I wish there was a coder that championed for xenobio like this. atmos too complicated for me
► Show Spoiler
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #622288

lol
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #622296

Ghilker wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 pm

lol
Atmospheric technician gaming
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #622372

But you don't need a gas mask to avoid atmospheric gases, you just need any breath mask at all. Everyone spawns with one in their internals box. They're free in emergency internals lockers.