Security no longer spawning with batons

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: Security no longer spawning with batons

Post by NecromancerAnne » #622151

Bottom post of the previous page:

They do have a disabler. It isn't nothing.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #622250

datorangebottle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:15 pm
Cobby wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:52 pm Move spare batons into armories so they’re managed by the warden.
problem: There are HoS/Warden mains who open the armory roundstart whenever possible. You might as well put them back into the backpacks if you do this.
player issue
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #622264

oranges wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:15 pm
cacogen wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:43 am Nah, you should just have access to the things you need to do your job roundstart instead of having to rely on another department for them.
you do, that's why there's one in your job locker

the only people who have to rely on another dept are late joins who are over the job cap, anything around baton stealing/hoarding is an IC issue to be sorted out by the HoS
Security officers will go without batons or have to wait ages for cargo to be able to do their jobs properly. It's entirely needless. When has the HoP opening extra security officer slots ever been an issue?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #622272

NecromancerAnne wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:48 pm They do have a disabler. It isn't nothing.
disablers are shit
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #622289

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:14 pm
NecromancerAnne wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:48 pm They do have a disabler. It isn't nothing.
disablers are shit
Compared to 2 shots plus free disarm into wall stun batons they are shit, but I blame that one on batons.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #622291

You should blame it on whoever nerfed disablers into near uselessness
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #622327

cacogen wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:57 pm You should blame it on whoever nerfed disablers into near uselessness
To my knowledge, the only nerf from disablers post-tasers is that armor resists the shots more.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #622332

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:36 pm
disablers are shit
Compared to 2 shots plus free disarm into wall stun batons they are shit, but I blame that one on batons.
Gonna echo this. The reason people likely struggle with disablers is that their bullet flight has a learning curve to it, bullet deviation is too aggressive and you can't chase with them due to almost outrunning the bullet with normal speed. You could be offscreen long before the projectile actually hits you.

This doesn't make them bad weapons. A 30 force 20 capacity gun cannot be bad, it's just unbelievably fairer than a baton.

TL;DR thinking disablers are bad rather than uncharacteristically balanced for all parties is a skill issue.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622342

Can you still, with adequate speed buff, catch up to and run into your own disabler shots?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #622350

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:31 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:36 pm
disablers are shit
Gonna echo this. The reason people likely struggle with disablers is that their bullet flight has a learning curve to it, bullet deviation is too aggressive and you can't chase with them due to almost outrunning the bullet with normal speed. You could be offscreen long before the projectile actually hits you.

This doesn't make them bad weapons. A 30 force 20 capacity gun cannot be bad, it's just unbelievably fairer than a baton.

TL;DR thinking disablers are bad rather than uncharacteristically balanced for all parties is a skill issue.
Try playing security on the east coast asshole your shots warp around saxing grey assholes so much that its more efficient to prime a flashbang and run at them and have your teammate blast them when the grenade knocks em down a second
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #622353

Disabler without baton might just as well be nothing.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #622370

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:51 am
Try playing security on the east coast asshole your shots warp around saxing grey assholes so much that its more efficient to prime a flashbang and run at them and have your teammate blast them when the grenade knocks em down a second
I play from Australia. I think the ping differences are a little more extreme for me, and yet I've only ever had issues with disablers in chases, which are usually pursuer unfriendly for other reasons beyond outrunning bullets.

Also, if you really are doing the that, good job I suppose? Working with a team creatively isn't a detriment. I've actually done the self flashbang myself, it really isn't as bad as you make it out of you have followup of any kind and is a viable strategy. If the basis of this argument is 'I need backup to do anything', then security is indeed working as intended and you are meant to be teaming up and covering weaknesses. In fact, the disabler is insanely powerful the more people with them there are. Power is always in numbers, and spamming 40 or more shots someone needs to continue to dodge is absolutely bad odds for whoever is being shot at.
Mailbox wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:14 pm
Disabler without baton might just as well be nothing.
A baton doesn't need a disabler to be as good as it is. But a disabler equally doesn't need a baton. They complement each other, obviously, but aren't a required paired set.

What you will find is that batons will trump disablers, only because batons are so strong that suicidally rushing someone with a gun is rewarded rather than punished due to how strong they are. If someone is rushing you with a baton, then absolutely, it may as well be nothing. But not having a baton is always the worst position.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #622395

Imagine living in the United States and having the gall to complain about ping
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:44 am
cacogen wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:57 pm You should blame it on whoever nerfed disablers into near uselessness
To my knowledge, the only nerf from disablers post-tasers is that armor resists the shots more.
It used to take less disablers to down somebody. I don't know if that was before or after tasers were removed.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622421

I assume that was the era of the Hybrid Taser
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #622434

It is and isn't. Not long after the removal of Hybrid Tasers, all energy armor (what ebows and disablers shoot into) was raised to be equal to laser armor + 10. Against your average security officer, the shots do 15 damage assuming head/body shots. Disablers definitely did more damage at one point only because before then, energy armor was extremely low. Like mostly 0's and 10's.