MODsuit feedback thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: MODsuit feedback thread

Post by TheFinalPotato » #623360

Bottom post of the previous page:

Wonder if the same applies to atmos backpack firefighting tanks and things of that ilk
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623368

oranges wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:31 am >There needs modsuit themes that arent spaceproof. It would add a lot more variety and thought into how you build your suit.

Do you have any practical ideas or are you just wish posting
I have one. I was thinking of converting the infiltrator suit kit into a spaceproofless modsuit since it's already taking up almost every slot that the modsuit is taking up. Except backpacks, but I'm sure there is a way to work around that, maybe a smuggling module for your bag (kinda like the cargo storage module).

Note: haven't used the new modsuits yet, I've been too busy with the family over this holiday period. Will have a chance once I get back home.
TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:23 am Wonder if the same applies to atmos backpack firefighting tanks and things of that ilk
Sounds like a good way to kill off some shit items by making them modsuit modules.
Djaubb
Byond Username: Djaubb

Post by Djaubb » #623373

Frankly, for now it's kinda meh:

One: it's too easy to build. Mats costs are something to laugh at and interesting mods be researched very quickly. Cores can be ordered from any department too easily (not really the problem as most job have basic modsuits).

Second: roboticist is always busy with borging and building borg/mechas and now you have half the station breaking in to build a modsuit.

Since it was merged only recently, okey, it's the new trend and everyone is using it, BUT MAN! I hardly ever see any borg being made now. It's only modsuit and sometime mechs.
Either it should be in an other department, still in science but not in robotic, or it should be expensive enough to not being built before 20 or 30minutes in.

TLDR; ModSuits should be more costly in research and materials, and if possible moved away from robotic.
Heolo
Byond Username: Heolo

Post by Heolo » #623374

[quote=Mothblocks post_id=623350 time=1640587062 user_id=6708
I mean, you can just go on the HackMD yourself
[/quote]

Ill say this again. I genuinely don't like the simplification that is being pushed. The complexity is one of the most beautiful parts of this game. Being able to from basically any department through literally 100s of hours of trial and error you can accomplish truly amazing things. Systematically changing the systems one at a time over a large period of time Only alienates the existing player base. Especially considering how much focus seems to be on Ensuring the Traitors win. I can tell you factually as someone who mains miner, I lose a lot more against traitor then I win.

Now when the station cries about Nukies and Calls for reinforcements. I have to buy something from a vendor Go to robotics, AND WAIT IN LINE(Legitimate concern regarding thread). Not that would actually be helpful considering IT HAS NO ARMOR. But that's Fine right? Cause the Only players that matter on any given shift is the Traitors. And the only response I get is that, That's what we wanted in the first place. Your concerns are laughable.

Considering that Oranges has no Intent on going on to make the Combat Mod-suits as is stated on the page listed. This is 100000% an oversight as described in the post.

And before you go and say, Uh stop being dumb and read the things i posted above. This is supposed to be a place of debate and conversation. Right? Maybe? Did I get it wrong?

"Combat hardsuits

Exosuits/hardsuits should have no fixed extra weapons like heavy cannons and lasers and stuff, nor should they be armoured for combat, leave that for vest slots or actual armour, choosing the hardsuit should be a choice between being armoured, or utility/environmental protections. Having a module to hold a larger weapon in some concealable way is acceptable.

Combat hard suits are an area I don’t feel comfortable addressing yet, and i don’t see feasible ways to scale them for an unarmed station crew on a breakable station, without ending back where mechs went with being slow and clunky to use."
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #623377

It's true, the suits should probably only be used when the environment reflects the need for them, but still, I'd like to at least be able to stand 6 or so tiles away from a minibomb and not be blown into crit as the captain

a LITTLE bit of armor or at least the ability to upgrade them to have armor would be nice. Or can you do that already? I havent played around with them a lot

modsuits having their own little corner of robotics or science would be neat I think

definitely some kinks that need to be smoothed out but I'm loving the look and feel of them
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #623378

I should probably add that the only time I ever put on the captains hardsuit was when I needed to get through plasma fires or if the entire station was blown to bits
I generally try to stay out of firefights and never put on the hardsuit for added protection
but a little bit would be nice
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #623384

Armhulen wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:02 pm
Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:30 pm Don't let ai's possess modsuits

those jerks are too busy having fun to watch cameras and see people die in a plasma fire at arrivals

high bias here :evil: :oops:
I seriously think PAI's role should be entirely modsuit related
we don’t need a by-design loyal (unsubvertable even?) minjion out of the box.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #623385

Heolo wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:34 pm ...Systematically changing the systems one at a time over a large period of time Only alienates the existing player base...
Date Joined Forum?
> Dec 27, 2021
Every time

Good first impressions, I'd like more skins for the basic suit and if not that maybe a way to recolor it, even if its just a stripe of color down the suit, as it is I've stolen suits just because all of them look the same. Also some of the nukie/sec/deathsquad suits look pretty similar as well but i guess thats a skill issue.
My favorite module is the emergency tether, whoever had the idea for that must be super handsome and stuff. It should probably be researched at shift start though because its entire usecase is predicated on not having a working jetpack, and I think the ion jetpack and the tether are unlocked on the same node right now
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #623387

can we please fix the stuff modsuits break

like im 99% sure that nukie combat gloves need to be replace with a krav maga implant because modsuits take every slot in existance now

Edit: Just played a nukie round. This cannot be intentional.

Nukies have to use modsuits. That makes sense. But their modsuits are self-destructive.

1. They lose all their armor in space proofing mode.

In a 1v50 gamemode like nukies. Losing all your armor is very deadly and easily exploited. Especially when nukies are incentivized to use tools that require to be pressurized at all times. Like the syndicate bombs that spawn on their ship. Or their fellow antagonists max-cap implants. A syndiborg Rocket Launcher, the TB virus, the list goes on.

2. They have the same weaknesses normal non-antag modsuits have.

If you EMP a nukies modsuit. They get hard-stunned. Nukies get EMPS. Hell, their incentivized to use them. Someone using the ion gun, an emp grenade from maint, or mixing uranium and iron can hardstun a nukie from tiles away and turn them into cakewash.

It reminded me of an episode of phineas and ferb where the self destruct button was neatly stored away on the device and resolved the plotline. ONE EMP took out what was supposed to be a major antag. This can't be intended..

Please remove these nukie modsuit drawbacks. Snowflake them if you have to. Exploitable weaknesses that these antagonists cannot reduce, and are quite literally outcomes from simply using their toolkit (like their many emp devices, and grenades/bombs/rocket launchers) is comically bad gameplay.
► Show Spoiler
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #623394

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:20 pm If you EMP a nukies modsuit. They get hard-stunned.
no they dont
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #623396

Fikou wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:24 pm
Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:20 pm If you EMP a nukies modsuit. They get hard-stunned.
no they dont

I-I know what I saw fikou!! He went down and it was very anticlimactic!
► Show Spoiler
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #623411

Where are the rider kicks fikou?
Heolo
Byond Username: Heolo

Post by Heolo » #623423

Capsandi wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:52 pm
Heolo wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:34 pm ...Systematically changing the systems one at a time over a large period of time Only alienates the existing player base...
Date Joined Forum?
> Dec 27, 2021
Every time

If your gonna mock me at least get it right Mon Nov 08, 2021, I'm a whole month older than you thought. XD
Remember Forum Time is not Game Time.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623453

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:38 pm
Fikou wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:24 pm
no they dont

I-I know what I saw fikou!! He went down and it was very anticlimactic!
Probably had cyberimplants.
The_Silver_Nuke
Byond Username: The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #623511

Honestly the prototype modsuit might be a little TOO slow. It's crippling even. Literally unplayable. It's essential that you get a stabilized red extract and only then do you get to playable speeds. Oh, and speaking of extracts you can't use any in the suit storage. it has to be in a pocket slot for it to work.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623518

The_Silver_Nuke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:52 am Oh, and speaking of extracts you can't use any in the suit storage. it has to be in a pocket slot for it to work.
It might be being treated as nested storage. How annoying.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623531

I finally got to use a modsuit! Built it myself and all. I think a good first piece of feedback is adding what the next step is for assembly when examining it. Otherwise, wasn't at all a hassle.

Didn't get to mess with all the modules but the ones I had for actives were cloak (to test it) thermo and ion thruster. I also red potion'd it. When grav gave out due to sabotage it was fun just scooting around in my suit, and I didnt feel the storage issues too much once I started using boxes. If I really needed to haul a lot of goods, I'd probably use a smuggler satchel to help if I can find one and they're not normally too tricky to locate.

Some modules felt a bit expensive for what was an item I could already access, like some of the tools like t-rays and huds being a bit cluttersome for complexity while their normal item counterparts exist in storage/clothing slots I was happy to put them in. I think there could be some value in a few of these utilities not contributing to main complexity, but definitely still limited in how many you can install. Like maybe some kind of tool module that has submodules, or a 'package suit module' with some of these modules bundled together at a discount (and maybe kept to departmental lathes iunno). Anything to help me feel like I can offload some of the gear stress onto my modsuit without feeling like I'm missing out on better utilities.

I didn't get to use the mining stuff or the clamp module so that's gonna be my next project to see what mischief I can get up to with those.
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #623550

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:06 pm...I also red potion'd it...
It's funny that you mention that because I tried using a red potion this time instead of a stabilized extract, and as soon as you take it off the potion loses effect and you have to reapply it. I'm not sure what could be causing that.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623563

Did you use it on the chestplate or the core? If you use it on the core, that's the one that'll retain the slowdown removal.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #623581

if you put a suppressor on an smg then it will completely refuse to fit in your syndie modsuit backpack no matter how empty it is which is kinda wierd
Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #623591

Waltermeldron wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:56 pm very cool, though you should look at organising the modsuit modules in the robotics console as it's packed into one big list
done
Kholdgrave
Byond Username: Kholdgrave

Post by Kholdgrave » #623621

Used them extensively, and I just found them to be very clunky. The utility didn't make up for the slowdown, deactivation and activation time, and were just generally inferior to the old hardsuits in terms of usefulness. Old hardsuits were something I could throw on and take off in response to emergencies, were adaptable, had armor values that depended on the department, and didn't take up a backpack slot.

I'm probably just gonna use eva suits instead of MODsuits for anything involving space or atmospheric hazards if these stay merged, they're a hassle and don't offer much aside from looking kinda cool.
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #623626

I used the potion on the core. I had a separate potion for lavaproofing too but I had to apply that on the actual parts. Both times the colors were retained but I don't know if the effect for the lavaproofing was considering that it lost the speed and I couldn't test it without taking a dip
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #623627

Also, I think it'd be cool if you could get certain modules as nuke ops, like the cloaking one robotics can print.

-Edit- It turns out that the EMP protection mod does NOT protect against EMP in regards to augmented limbs. How disappointing.
mr_dude_guy
Byond Username: SeniorDudeguy

Post by mr_dude_guy » #623634

I spawned as CMO and tried on the new suit and at some point had a problem where I got spammed with "You need to retract the part first" messages.
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #623636

mr_dude_guy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:07 am I spawned as CMO and tried on the new suit and at some point had a problem where I got spammed with "You need to retract the part first" messages.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/63736
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #623704

the only thing that annoys me about modsuits is the sprites for nuke ops their look really generic could you make them look like the hardsuits like before?
ZenithEevee
Byond Username: ZenithEevee

Post by ZenithEevee » #623721

Right i'm not gonna lie, I was going to come here with the suggestion of an Insulated Module for modsuits, And i'm aware of a lot of powercreep there within...

So instead i kinda just want to ask if there's a way for modsuits to read variables within stored items (Ice-hiking boots noslip_ice, Insulated gloves siemens co-efficiency (I'm aware every other modsuit is already insulated, Does kinda suck for people who already have insuls and the charlie station roles since the NASA voidsuit is absolutely slow as fuck), to name a few) and apply them to the modsuits themselves, Be it through manually installing by applying while the panel's open, or an automated reading and application method.

That aside... Good work so far. Most of the modules are really cool and with some of the newer changes it might churn out quite well... Even if miners get SoL on their modsuits.
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #623765

Hardsuits without armor makes them Kind of useless even if they are fun to use. The one point I thought they would be very usefull for is space exploration but you are so likley to die from all the mobs you find without the armor so it is just sad.

The syndicate hardsuit is cool and works well would just want a easier Button to press for combat mode on.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623773

Mailbox wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:57 pm Hardsuits without armor makes them Kind of useless even if they are fun to use. The one point I thought they would be very usefull for is space exploration but you are so likley to die from all the mobs you find without the armor so it is just sad.
You never needed armor to do space exploration. Most threats do not shoot enough or hit hard enough for that to be an issue if you know what you're doing. The hardest hitting mobs are the shotgun syndies, the smg syndies and the monsters in the trade post, and all can be cheesed and not necessary to fight (directly).

Even if you did have armor, before modsuits, your only option for bullet/laser armor was the sec hardsuits with 25/30 (seccies shouldn't be fighting space mobs), or an upgraded mining hardsuit at 20/25. I've done the space run in just the void suit an unbelievable amount of times, and no amount of armor ever made a meaningful difference in any instance I would have died.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #623780

You're missing the point which is that or*nges arbitrarily ordained that these replacements for hardsuits have no armour. People have complained and provided reasons for why it makes no sense but trying to reason with him when he's decided he wants something a certain way is pointless, because it's not about what even he thinks is best for the game (he doesn't play), but getting his own way. 2/3's of these decisions are made out of spite, the rest ignorance. So people are left to cope by either making excuses for him or coming up with ways in which it doesn't actually matter. He may even show up now to provide post-hoc justifications for his pronouncement that will amount to the usual obvious bullshit that people seem to feel the social obligation to buy into anyway.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623787

cacogen wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 pm You're missing the point which is that or*nges arbitrarily ordained that these replacements for hardsuits have no armour. People have complained and provided reasons for why it makes no sense but trying to reason with him when he's decided he wants something a certain way is pointless, because it's not about what even he thinks is best for the game (he doesn't play), but getting his own way. 2/3's of these decisions are made out of spite, the rest ignorance. So people are left to cope by either making excuses for him or coming up with ways in which it doesn't actually matter. He may even show up now to provide post-hoc justifications for his pronouncement that will amount to the usual obvious bullshit that people seem to feel the social obligation to buy into anyway.
Well, here is the actual justification

And this justification is frankly nonsense and unnecessary. Mechs and carbons are leagues apart of each other, and modsuited players do not play by special, noninteractive rules. They are merely carbons in outfits. So long as it isn't giving extra health and immunity to a laundry list of effects, modsuits are already leagues above mechs in terms of co-existance in the round. Even mech weapons, as they are, are not stronger in raw values but merely their deep ammo reserves. They turn fights against mechs into battles of attrition or slogging matches, which is something also to be avoided for crew level power in general.

I don't need to agree with this justification to not simply agree with the conclusion on different merits. The merit being that armor is a truly worthless statistic at such low values, so giving that up to grant additional tools and powers without hogging inventory slots (plus EVA in a backpack) is all something the game stands to benefit from. Hell, the captain is the only one truly hurt by the loss (and most captains didn't wear the swat suit because of the slowdown), and he's come out of it with possibly one of the best suits of the lot before factoring non-crew. Backpack EVA suit with next to no slowdown is a hell of an exchange to me.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #623795

I don't care
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #623797

cacogen wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 pm You're missing the point which is that or*nges arbitrarily ordained that these replacements for hardsuits have no armour. People have complained and provided reasons for why it makes no sense but trying to reason with him when he's decided he wants something a certain way is pointless, because it's not about what even he thinks is best for the game (he doesn't play), but getting his own way. 2/3's of these decisions are made out of spite, the rest ignorance. So people are left to cope by either making excuses for him or coming up with ways in which it doesn't actually matter. He may even show up now to provide post-hoc justifications for his pronouncement that will amount to the usual obvious bullshit that people seem to feel the social obligation to buy into anyway.
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #623804

One suggestion I might make is that the armor modules take up lots of complexity. This is something that you couldn't really do with mechs, but you can choose where to specialize your MOD suit. If you want armor and no fancy equipment then that's something that could be possible. For example the cloaking module takes 4 points. It could be equally expensive.

This is just me having fun theory crafting but most mod suits have a complexity of 15. If an armor mod costs 5, storage 3, thermal protection 2, jetpack 3, and dna protection 2 then it's at 15 with only 5 modules. Alternatively we could hope for a speed module later on of equal cost. This could result in a suit that's more combat oriented with an armor mod at 5, speed mod at 5, thermal protection at 2, dna protection at 2, and flashlight at 1.

I personally would absolutely love armor and speed modules be unlocked to the general crew at a high cost. In fact I couldn't advocate for it more. I want some of that Master Chief gameplay where you go around punching stuff with a support AI every step of the way.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #623848

I think its kind of weird that you can see the captain walking around decked out in his super cool one-of-a-kind power armor and go down in the same amount of hits from a toolbox as a naked assistant. Every single hardsuit used to have at least 10 of each armor. My suggestion would be just all models a little base armor, maybe 10 in all categories because it should be better than wearing absolutely nothing. If you want to lean into them being 100% non-combat-oriented, I would say that having no armor is not the best way because it doesn't really make any sense. As an alternative, you could have the individual parts malfunction when they take damage although that could be annoying.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #623918

modsuits not having armor will be the new "can we fix tablets being affected by insulated gloves" for the months to come as people open up prs to fix the most blatant issue with modsuits in their current state only for oranges to close the pr
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #623922

arent we putting the camel before the horse

how do we have no armor hardsuits but weapons that cut through a naked crewmember like a hot knife through butter!
► Show Spoiler
DolphinE
Byond Username: DolphinE

Post by DolphinE » #623942

Whats the point of feedback when 1 guy can tell to remove all armor from all modsuits, and it will be removed. Whats the point of feedback when nobody asked for a modsuit to take a backpack, gloves and shoes slots, but it were added?
Cons:
- Modsuit for some reason needs a lot of clicking and waiting to become activated. Congrats, after that you are...spaceproof. Or go take EVA suit that is simpler and spaceproof too, before all of them are taken.
- Imagine accidentally clicking on deactivation button when you are in space.
- If you are war nukie, some items like no-slips, northstars and different forms of insulated gloves are useless now. Throw them away.
- Want to equip a modsuit? Enjoy the gameplay of moving things from backpack to modsuit storage. And never forget to empty the modsuit storage if you are replacing it with better version, oh boy...
- Jetpack items are useless for you.
- Did i mentioned armor? The moment when sec beret gives you bullet, laser and melee protection, but metal space suit does not. Like slowdown was not enough for you to prevent using armored suits on the station...
Pros:
- You can install thingy that gives you opportunity to eat in activated modsuit.
- Funny modsuit AI. When soulless dead body walks and talks.
- You can install shield on the elite modsuit (and this suit still will be worse than shielded hardsuit...)

About sprites. Cap modsuit looks better then old hardsuit, all nukie modsuits are...different (i personally prefer old ones),
Sec suits lost soul and look boring, RD modsuit looks like a violet blot.
I dont expect much from people who created this, but i have a hope that cringe will be changed. Hope dies last.
Last edited by DolphinE on Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fikou
Code Maintainer

Post by Fikou » #623954

DolphinE wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 am Whats the point of feedback when 1 guy can tell to remove all armor from all modsuits, and it will be removed. Whats the point of feedback when nobody asked for a modsuit to take a backpack, gloves and shoes slots, but it were added?
- Modsuit for some reason needs a lot of clicking and waiting to become activated. Congrats, after that you are...spaceproof. Or go take EVA suit that is simpler and spaceproof too, before all of them are taken.
- Imagine accidentally clicking on deactivation button when you are in space.
- If you are war nukie, some items like no-slips, northstars and different forms of insulated gloves are useless now. Throw them away.
- Want to equip a modsuit? Enjoy the gameplay of moving things from backpack to modsuit storage. And never forget to empty the modsuit storage if you are replacing it with better version, oh boy...
- Jetpack items are useless for you.
1. thats a very stupid question most of the feedback here is being taken into consideration when it isnt just "bro wheres armor"
2. yes, if you want to be only spaceproof, feel free to go to eva and grab an eva suit. if you are in a department with a suit, i.e. a doctor during a breach, it would be way faster to put on that medical suit, and the suits themselves move faster than eva suits, while also having access to the ever-growing list of helpful modules
3. ok dont do that
4. insulated gloves are inbuilt, noslips can be bought for the same price as the shoe ones, other stuff will have to be looked at
5. its literally clickdragging the backpack to the suit once, an action that takes less than a second
6. thats a pointless argument when they do have a jetpack
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #623955

DolphinE wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 am Whats the point of feedback when 1 guy can tell to remove all armor from all modsuits, and it will be removed. Whats the point of feedback when nobody asked for a modsuit to take a backpack, gloves and shoes slots, but it were added?
The point of feedback is to provide coders with evil data, which they can then use to fail at improving the game.
DolphinE
Byond Username: DolphinE

Post by DolphinE » #623956

>thats a very stupid question most of the feedback here is being taken into consideration when it isnt just "bro wheres armor"

This is not a magic answer to the question why the fuck you removed armor. You and oranges are weirdos who somehow allowed to do shit like this without asking anybody. I mean, you are admins, coders, etc, and you techincally can do that, but fucking nobody besides you two likes it. Feels kinda wrong, no?

>ok dont do that (i think its about accidental clicking)

awesome

Basically, now modsuits are annoying, overcomplicated and nerfed hardsuits without armor. With the ablity to install several not-significant upgrades on them.
What was the point of adding gloves and boots for modsuits, when eva softsuit doesnt need them?
I am not sure I am gonna hear the adequate answer tho.
Maybe somebody else will bother to reg/log here and write again the problems modsuits have, to hear your "we already heard it so it doesnt count".
Last edited by DolphinE on Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623957

Actually, the deactivation point is something that is definitely frustrating me only because that button is right next to the module action button, and at a glance I've actually activated the suit again after deactivation when I was trying to remove modules. I think deactivation and reactivation having a prompt might help this.

Funny example of something similar: One time in Barotrauma I dropped a nuke on my friends because I was trying to push a light switch. We installed a multi-lever switch system after this event. It helps for important things to give enough warning to someone whether or not they want to do a thing. Especially when activation can be accidental and unstoppable once it goes through.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #623964

modsuits are good for what they are. A revamp that helps the coders a step further in achieve their design doc vision of the game

But their bad because I turn sideways faster wearing them :(
► Show Spoiler
Kholdgrave
Byond Username: Kholdgrave

Post by Kholdgrave » #623973

Maybe player experience and enjoyment should take precedence over what coders envision for an ancient spessman game? These things are overly clunky and are generally worse then hardsuits, if these were tested more and developed longer then they could potentially be very cool, but these were just merged and are being fixed on the fly. It's a very halfbaked approach to game change and there shouldn't be any surprise when you replace something with an ostensibly worse version of it.
ZenithEevee
Byond Username: ZenithEevee

Post by ZenithEevee » #623990

DolphinE wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:24 am And never forget to empty the modsuit storage if you are replacing it with better version, oh boy...
Uh, IIRC there is no real way to actually get better storage without finding it on already spawned modsuits or... Maybe The uplink having Syndicate storage?

Idk, TBH being able to get better storage reliably (Be it a very later research tier or cargo) would be nice, but as it currently is if you dont start with storage/larger_capacity you get an Eris-grade large pouch compared to a backpack.
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #624010

Rather than arguing against the PR in general I think it'd be best if effort was spent improving the PR to better accommodate players. Change is fine, being locked in stasis forever stagnates the game.

Of course, that change should take into account current features of the game that way it meshes well and doesn't conflict, otherwise it'll be out of place and hated.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #624011

there's been a lot of turbulence around the pr which is good
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #624110

I've gone to great lengths to just be able to post this.

I've been playing this game for ages and these are some of the most regressive of changes I've seen. Hardsuits were easy, you put them on and that's it. Nukies could stealth op because the hardsuit was just a hardsuit that fit in a backpack, or head and chest. It was simple and you pressed a button to do what you wanted (turn on the jetpack, flashlight, hardsuit mode).

Good content is not taking existing content and turning it into an unwieldy, awkward process that fucks up your equipment slots and demands you do a stupid song and dance every round with the roboticist, all wrapped up in an awkward and uncalled for UI.

There are few redeeming qualities to most of these mods. Fucking up your gloves and feet slot is really bad. Making the fat obese red space suits better than raiding hardsuits is a really goofy 'vision' to have. It turns equipping an item into an awkward process only to be shittier at the end of it. There is no reason for the shoe and glove slot meme, and no reason for the backpack slot hoggery. The armor situation is just really stupid. Sorry, elite boarding parties and security space gear should be armored for combat. It's weird to wave off armor as "le modsuit armor haha" but never address the reason for the change, which is universally regarded as bad piled on top of bad.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #624117

you're extremely permabanned and constnatly evading.
Coastfront
Byond Username: Coastfront

Post by Coastfront » #624262

Alright time for me to throw in my 2 cents so that i can feel like i atleast contributed to discussion despite that this is probably pointless.

Gonna do this in a segmented manner
1. Sprites
This is the most just personal preference once, IMO the syndicate sprites suck. Not only do i personally find them ugly, They just look, off. The standard nukie suit just looks overly bulky, not really like a COMBAT suit, And the elite suit looks visibly less armored than its old sprite. I even got a few online friends and showed them the new elite suit, old, and then the new standard, And 4/6 people agree'd that the new elite suit looks the LEAST armored of all of them, if they had to tell what it was with no context.
ALSO WHY DOES THE C L O W N SUIT, LACK, A CLOWN MASK.

2. The eternal war of the armor aspect.
Since the stance on crew modsuit armor is already decided, In that they wont be getting any, I'm not even going to comment on crew modsuits in that regard.
What I am going to comment on, are the syndicate armor booster system. Holy christ does this feel bad for what its meant to accomplish. For starters, a brief comparison to the old nukie suits vs the armor booster, just in mechanics.
Old suit gave you the choice between EVA protection, Or being able to move quickly. This meant that if nukies wanted to be extremely destructive, or use tb safely, They'd have to either cut gravity first or suck up the fact that they arent gonna be topspeed.
New modsuit, is the choice between eva protection, and armor. (IIRC you're slow even with armor, so get fucked nukies) This means, that when people catch on to ops not having armor, The meta is gonna be bring the disk to space near the station to force the ops to not be armored, to drastically speed up the time to kill. I think that's bad for an already janky mode (war-ops). The war-ops meta right now isnt that fun, Since nukies usually die or get disk 5 minutes after arrival, I don't get why that needs to be shortened to dying/getting it 3 minutes after arrival.

3. General jank/clunk in usefulness compared to hardsuits.
For the crew, After modsuits being a new fad blows over, I don't see departments like security ever using theirs for what sec would usually use spaceprot for. I don't see the captain ever taking his modsuit out of its storage much, ETC. What i do see, Is sec going into EVA, and taking soft suits and throwing their modsuits into a broom closet. If someone's breaking into the armory from space, Which is the preferable option.
A. A suit that takes ages to put on, And gives very few, if no real benefits for sec
B. A suit where you take off a helmet, chestpiece, slap it on and your good.
These feel like they're just going to slip into being niche, and soft suits being more generally used out of it being convenient.
For nukies/wiz, This is especially bad for them.
The hardsuit wasn't that sucky for doing a stealth strat, since you could ditch it pretty fast, With modsuits, theres a solid 1 minute window, before you can even get non sus clothes, Where if someone shows up not only are you unarmored, but also now extremely exposed, and then have to spend another minute turning the damn thing back on because you cant cancel taking it off.
For loud, This is also going to make healing more frustrating, Which is very sucky for antags that are meant to 4v50-60 the crew. And makes an even worse deal for traitors buying it.For traitors, Why is an item they spend their, VERY LIMITED telecrystals on, Potentially worse at what they'd want it for than station loot?

4. The most mendable issue
Right now modules, especially station side, dont seem as good as the item they replaced. Most of the modules just do what certain hand-held items already do. Built in medscanner, Yay. I sure am happy I have been given an item i could put in my packback, built into a slow, clunky suit. Etc. The clamp, is one of the only ones that isnt dogshit, soley because of its use in smuggling and concealing large weapons. (Putting maxcaps in a crate, and clamp carrying it) And that IS something thats good, The cloaking module makes you harder to spot in space as long as you arent doing anything, Thats neat. But the rest just arent very noticable. I fully get that new, more useful modules are probably going to come eventually, But this is what im putting as immediate feedback on the mods.

5. A bit of an issue on mouse.
This is probably the niche'st thing i talk about. Middleclicking. I think in terms of accesibility, It'd be better if stuff like the drill/clamp, Just acted like retractable drills/clamps in terms of how you use it. On activating the drill pops into your active hand, you use it at energy, activate again and it pops out. Like an armblade. Same with the clamp.(though i imagine it'd be harder with the clamp)
Why do i bring this up? My mouse's scroll wheel, is mostly broken, I use a very old mouse. So middle clicking is extremely inconsistant on it, with no way to rebind it. This means i either stare at a box for one minute spamming my mouse and hoping it works, Or i never use the clamp and any modules that require middle clicks. And i'd be willing to bet im probably not the only person who has a janky middle click.

Right now my impressions on this is that they're just way jankier, slower, ultimately inferior hardsuits. There could be researchable mods to speed up the boot sequence, Syndicate suits could potentially have purchasable mods to make them move faster, If modsuits are going to be entirely based off of active/passive utilities to justify all of the station side ones having zero armor, and the general loss of speed and ease of use, Then we're gonna need alot more mods to give that utility, And potentially slightly more complexity storage on suits, And maybe making them not eat your hand glove slot, Because if i wind up seeing a "adds tackling" mod, when someone could literally put on a eva suit and wear gripper gloves, I am going to have an anuerysm.
Tl;dr on the above paragraph. These need alot of work, and either some quality of life mods for nukies and the crew, Or tweaks to the slots they eat up and their loadup times.

Anyway time to get the customary "too long didnt read" reactionary image or something.