Families Rewrite and Objectives Issues

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Families Rewrite and Objectives Issues

Post by EOBGames » #623343

So I've been drafted in to do some rewrites on Families lore-wise (mostly with the goal of making the references less blatant, and excising some of the cringier (for lack of a better word) flavour text), and in doing so I've run into some issues with the objectives. I figured I should post this with my interpretations of the flavour text for both the creator (that's you, Goof) and players to chime in with both how the objectives are meant to be played (or your interpretation), and how rounds involving them have gone down. With this feedback, my rewrite should go much smoother.

(Disclaimers: I haven't played Families, I just take issue with the flavour text. That's why I'm asking if these interpretations are correct, and for how rounds involving these tend to go down.)

So, my interpretations of the objectives:
1. Goodfellas (Russian Mafia, Italian Mafia)
From what I can tell, the point is to collect protection money and deal with the other gang. Seems simple- does this tend to turn out violent?

2. The Big Game (Sybil Slickers, Basil Boys)
Playing football, I guess? With the lack of mechanical rules I feel like this seems difficult, so I'd invite people to say how this tends to go down.

3. Level 10 Arch (Monarch, OSI)
This one confuses me. Based on the flavour text, this just feels like a battle between two teams where each team is also required to inconvenience an entire department as a side goal.

4. Real Shen Megumi Tensei (Jack Bros, Phantom Thieves)
By my reading, this feels like it turns into diet revs with both sides having to deal with the heads of staff. This is also probably one of the worst for OOC referencing.

5. Wild West Showdown (van der Linde Gang, O'Driscolls)
Stealing the gold from the vault, makes sense enough to me.

6. Construction Audit (Yakuza, IRS)
Is the entire point that the Yakuza are meant to waste the station's resources while the IRS attempts to arrest (or more likely kill them)?

7. Wild Wild Wasteland (Lost MC, Powder Gangers, Tunnel Snakes)
I looked over this one and it just seems like there's no real reason for the gangs to interact with one another. The Lost just want vehicles, the Powder Gangers need to blow up the brig(!) and the Tunnel Snakes just need everyone to wear their outfits- this feels like a grab bag and there's no real overlap in the objectives.

8. Popularity Contest (Saints, Tunnel Snakes)
This one sounds alright as a roleplay suggestion, but it seems too open to interpretation by the teams to make for a good objective.

9. Steelport Shuffle (Saints, Morningstar, Deckers)
All teams generally compete for the AI- I think this one should work fine.

10. Space Rosa (Saints, Morningstar, Yakuza)
Another clean and simple one.

11. Third World War (Allies, Soviets, Yuri)
Just seems to me that this is intended to be a TDM, possibly with some revs thrown in as you need to assert your control over the station.

12. United States (Allies, OSI, IRS)
This also seems exactly the same as Third World War, but with different gangs?

Apologies if this is a bit wishy washy. Again, I'd like to hear both from Goof and players as to how these are meant to and actually do go down.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Re: Families Rewrite and Objectives Issues

Post by mrmelbert » #623351

My observations, both playing and watching Families rounds, how each theme goes down:

Goodfellas - Generally works fine, sometimes ends with gang violence, but most of the time I see it the two gangs tend to leave each other alone.
The Big Game - Big problem one, in my eyes. Absolutely no direction, causes a ton of confusion and problems. Either an admin makes it into a funny football meme round or the two gangs just kick each other's asses until early shuttle call.
Level 10 Arch - Another problem one. Which ever gang recruits / spawns with more scientists sit around in science all round while the other team gets arrested by sec for fucking with science.
Real Shen Megumi Tensei - This one doesn't turn into a problem too often but I feel like it definitely doesn't go the way it's intended. Usually one gang recruits the heads of staff and the other cannot contend and gets wiped out quickly.
Wild West Showdown - This one is... fine. If the gangs can are balanced in numbers it can be interesting, but usually one beats the other to the vault and they don't ever really conflict.
Construction Audit - I've never seen the Yakuza actually make something with this gang type. Usually the IRS just dicks around and beats people for money until they're exterminated.
Wild Wild Wasteland - Most of the time I see this, the gangs don't interact at all.
Popularity Contest - Never seen it ran
Steelport Shuffle - Generally works fine, just gets very hectic as all 3 gangs + command is upload warring over the AI, probably not fun for silicons.
Space Rosa - Generally works fine, but the gangs either end up destroying or getting destroyed by sec. Though if they're willing to make some deals between one another it's fun.
Third World War - Never seen it ran
United State - Never seen it ran
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes