Thieves-back (Feedback for Thieves)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Thieves-back (Feedback for Thieves)

Post by Armhulen » #625910

Please only post your first hand experience. this means direct experience with this antagonist during testing, not speculation or hearsay.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Thieves-back (Feedback for Thieves)

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #625987

Stole a body with a soul right out under the nose of a doctor working on it to take to my meat layer. They raged at me in occ after the round. A fulfilling antagonist, and a good way to cause conflict.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #626033

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:37 pm Stole a body with a soul right out under the nose of a doctor working on it to take to my meat layer. They raged at me in occ after the round. A fulfilling antagonist, and a good way to cause conflict.
fucking kek, thanks for feedback
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #626075

Got the hoard objective for MOD control units. It really didn't feel like going about it put me into conflict as it was easier to just buy the damn things. Booby-trapping the hoard location was fun though. Also it made me have to learn how to put together a modsuit and that's just not cool.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #626165

I have no feedback or even any idea what you're talking about. Can I get some kind of link to it? It sounds neat.
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #626168

Had to steal organs, when i went to get them out of the morgue fridge to move em to my secret fridge, they all rot in seconds
Gave up after that

Would have had it easy to get new ones as a roboticist, but meh
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #626329

Nabski wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:03 pm I have no feedback or even any idea what you're talking about. Can I get some kind of link to it? It sounds neat.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/64144
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #626465

I really have a problem with the heirloom thief. Unless I get medbay access, I can't find out who might have an heirloom without metagaming, which feels awful. Further, heirlooms don't seem to get any special messages on examine, so the only way to know you have one is to know what is in the loot pool for heirlooms.

What am I supposed to do? Beat up a doc for medbay access, then hope I can access medical logs uninterrupted long enough to find someone with an heirloom, then beat their ass too for an item that gives no indication that it even IS an heirloom? Am I supposed to get a little black book and put down names of statics with heirlooms on my medbay shifts so I can use it on thief rounds as needed?

It stinks.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #626942

I think Thieves, or at least some of the variants, really suffer from having to steal unrealistic amounts of certain item and or items that nobody cares about. When I played thief I had to horde 6 mod control things, which apparently require a specific part from cargo. I tried to get them ordered and I never got them, so I couldn't complete my objective. I saw someone else who had to horde 7 insulated gloves, which just seems incredibly unrealistic.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627209

With this progression kick we have, maybe Uber successful thieves, could be promoted to traitor? It would give security more reason to stop them and non-lethally detain them while also giving the thieves something to thrive to.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627210

I wouldn’t give them any TC to start, but just the option to start taking contracts would be cool. Especially with thieves taking threat from the dynamic pool.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627211

I wouldn’t give them any TC to start, but just the option to start taking contracts would be cool. Especially with thieves taking threat from the dynamic pool. Overall my experience with thieves has been pleasant so far, but they seem a touch barebones right now.

(Edit-forgot to put my experience in the experience thread. Ooops)

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #627531

I had two rounds with this 'I dunno what the fuck I'm doing' antag

1. Steal one family heirloom and escape
I was an engineer. The antag window tells you to use a medical records console to find out who has an heirloom, so I built one. The problem was, I didn't have access to log in and didn't have an uplink to get an emag to unlock it. So I went to the medbay, and had a look at the medical records consoles there but none of them were logged in because they're rarely if ever used. So I asked a mediborg to unlock one, and was lucky enough to find the records of two crewmembers with heirlooms almost straight away. There were a lot of records and I wasn't looking forward to going through them all for the odd one with an heirloom. The mediborg seemed to disapprove of a random engineer going through people's medical records and printing them off but it was MRP so nobody accused me of being an heirloom thief (although maybe that meta hasn't gotten out yet) and nobody tried to stop me. I found one of the heirloom inheritors, the bartender, who was reconstructing a wall in the service hall behind the bar. Then I realised I have no idea how to get an item out of a living person's bag nowadays without the help of an uplink so I didn't proceed any further. I could've stolen some morphine and a syringe gun or something but I just didn't want to fail to subdue this static on Manuel in a very public place. I haven't seen anyone else play this, so I'm not sure what other people do.

2. Steal five healthy organic organs and escape
I was an engineer and I came out of engineering and proceeded to central primary where I found the gibs of a dead guy complete with organs everywhere on the floor outside of the HoP's office. They'd suicided with an air tank. I eagerly collected these organs, wondering how to preserve them. I went to medbay and asked them how to preserve organs. They told me of something called an Organ Box, which I guess I knew about and had probably seen but forgotten. I never learned where to come across one of these items, but I guess I assumed it required research and access to the medical protolathe and these organs would've been fucked by then. Another suggestion they had was a Smartfridge, so I looked around the medbay for an organ Smartfridge. I found one, but it was in surgery behind an airlock I didn't have access to. It didn't seem suitable to me somehow. Had it been an ice bear fridge in a basement, then perhaps. They also suggested cybernetic organs, but obviously those weren't suitable for the objective. So I left. I then went AFK I think to work on a map PR. The organs died and with them any hope of completing this objective.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #631222

Thieves really need their threat adjusted.
Round 178634 on Sybil, we had three roundstart thieves and an opportunist that took up nearly half the threat. They don't get any gear, they don't get to kill indiscriminately, but they take up a disproportionate amount of threat compared to how much of a threat they actually pose.
threat.PNG
threat.PNG (6.75 KiB) Viewed 8174 times
The heretic alone is more worth the threat, let alone the xenos. We could've had a much more exciting round if the game had been allowed to use its full budget instead of spawning the three stooges and their fourth cousin.

Anyway, in that round, I was an assistant and a modsuit hoarder. Immediately got myself a full set of tools and insuls. There was no roboticist, so I broke into robotics, built the three roundstart modsuits, and ran into maint. I made my hoard at the end of that tiny little hallway next to maint botany. All I did was move a wall and make it into a falsewall. For the CE, Engineer's, and RD's modsuits, I broke into their workplaces from maintenance and nabbed them. I had to go outside to get the HoS's. The final suit I stole was from the armory- the AI had faked announcements about nukies for some reason, so the armory was set to emergency access and I walked in and took the security modsuit. Nobody really noticed that any of the suits were gone or mentioned anything, probably because it was Icebox and none of the heads of staff that I stole from had joined. I eventually got jumped by a xeno queen while I was outside doing... I don't remember what. So, I essentially contributed nothing to the round.

It was fun to have the objective for a sense of direction and permission to steal important items, though. I think I'll keep Thief and Opportunist on.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #631227

I've talked to mothblocks about the scaling, thank you.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #631249

Strongly dislike it. Thieves take up threat yet don't really add any threat to the round in practice. On LRP there is really no conflict created by people ordering stunbatons or whatever from cargo and then hoarding them. No one really cares about thieves, even sec. I'm sure it's a different story for MRP though.
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #631257

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:40 am Strongly dislike it. Thieves take up threat yet don't really add any threat to the round in practice. On LRP there is really no conflict created by people ordering stunbatons or whatever from cargo and then hoarding them. No one really cares about thieves, even sec. I'm sure it's a different story for MRP though.
I kind of softly el-oh-el when people get antag with objectives you can somewhat ignore to steal anything and they use it to do the most legal thing imaginable but the problem is that there really is almost zero items that cannot be replenished. I've considered limiting more items but I'm unsure
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #631264

I think the best way to do it, would be for it to only count items that were coded in the map/were on the station at roundstart.

Thus making the thief actually break into sec and loot their stuff
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #631268

Shadowflame909 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:42 am I think the best way to do it, would be for it to only count items that were coded in the map/were on the station at roundstart.

It's kind of a bandaid but I guess I should do it to discourage people throwing away... their own... antag rounds?? I still don't know why people are doing this
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #631269

Armhulen wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:06 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:40 am Strongly dislike it. Thieves take up threat yet don't really add any threat to the round in practice. On LRP there is really no conflict created by people ordering stunbatons or whatever from cargo and then hoarding them. No one really cares about thieves, even sec. I'm sure it's a different story for MRP though.
I kind of softly el-oh-el when people get antag with objectives you can somewhat ignore to steal anything and they use it to do the most legal thing imaginable but the problem is that there really is almost zero items that cannot be replenished. I've considered limiting more items but I'm unsure
Limiting items would probably open a whole other can of worms that'd be pretty complex with balancing and stuff. Ideally the thieves would be stealing stuff that people care about - like someone's ID, PDA, maybe critical job items, etc. Not sure if it'd be possible really but stealing from a person as opposed to just ordering it from cargo/finding it somewhere would create a lot more juicy dynamics.
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #631274

imagine if thieves had to horde used (Crew-Manifest roundstart) backpacks.

That'd really up the games paranoia, because you never know when a robust player is gonna come out from maints. Stun you, steal your backpack, then run back into the abyss.

You'd be on the ground, shaking your fist and shouting over comms that a player in a wrestler mask tried to kill you and stole your backpack!

They'd also get turned sideways faster though.
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #631285

Only counting roundstart items would be pretty lame.

Imagine going through all the effort of mugging some guy for his special item only to find out that it magically doesn't count after the fact.
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #631313

Farquaar wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:41 am Only counting roundstart items would be pretty lame.

Imagine going through all the effort of mugging some guy for his special item only to find out that it magically doesn't count after the fact.
This and they can still replenish the things you steal with things you're not incentivized to steal. The only real solution is having more items in the game that matter when lost, this is literally cloning removal all over again
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #631463

Agreed that thieves should be considered a lower threat investment since they are, in both rules and code, not a "primary" threat

Also, I stole 3 guns by """becoming a sec officer""" once and then it didn't count one that was in the modsuit holster I had a little while ago. Sad!
Armhulen wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:19 am
Shadowflame909 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:42 am I think the best way to do it, would be for it to only count items that were coded in the map/were on the station at roundstart.

It's kind of a bandaid but I guess I should do it to discourage people throwing away... their own... antag rounds?? I still don't know why people are doing this
My theoretical answer is "Because they don't REALLY have an antag round," maybe? They don't have the true freedoms to do fiendish shit and trickery, or to UNLEASH THEIR TRUE POWER upon people who stumble upon them, etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #632503

Having traitors lite is a good thing. But these goals are un-inspired.
Let me present a few new goals, mechanics.
•Phoebus Cartel. Based off the real life conspiracy of 1925, this would be all about light bulbs. Basically Phoebus brand light bulbs are expensive, and orderable from Cargo. They work, and they invincible. Of course the station is full of existing light bulbs that work just as well. This cartel member gets a payout every single time cargo orders light bulbs, and if the station orders enough they get green text. These people could break bulbs, steal replacement bulbs from janitors closet, join cargo, and bottom out the credits. Antagonistic, but not crossing the line into murder.
•Amateur Body snatcher. This introduces a new feature. Thieves can have a code, but it doesn't unlock telecrystal gear, but turns their PDA/Headset into a hacking tool. In this case, it would be related to sabotaging the chapel. So using their hacking tool on the mass drivers controls, changes the settings so that rather then randomly jettisoning coffins to anywhere, they get sent to a syndicate collection point. If they use the hacking controls on the chapel incinerator, it gets disabled. Same for the kitchen gibber. Potential bonus points for corpses with uniforms and IDs attached through the chapel mass drivers for extra green text.
•Wizard Sympathizer. This would be a mission from the wizard faction. The player would get 3 magic coins that could be slotted into a PDA, removed through the right click-> remove pen verb. Basically these coins when loaded into a vendomat brand vending machine cause the vendingmachine to dispense an observation orb. Place those 3 orbs in places the wizard federation would like to observe (sample locations:Perma, main operating room, Bridge, engineering communciation room), mission complete, and a wizard spell tome is unlocked.
•Escape Saboteur. This thief would be attempting to sabotage the stations inevitable escape. PDA would be a hacking tool as body snatcher, but they would be targeting escape pods and the shuttle. Hacking tool when used on pods safes/computers would change the target of the pod to a syndicate collection point. As for the shuttle itself, that would be dealt with ominous beacon 2.0. Basically this is a beacon that would be built over an active power wire, that would act as a shuttle dock navigation buoy. Causing the escape shuttle to land wherever they built this beacon. This could be a real pain in the ass, so to balance it, it could be a 50/50 chance of the shuttle landing at the correct spot, with the thief being able to build more to ensure the shuttle missing its target. Another thing to telegraph the threat to the crew could be that as soon as the shuttle crosses the threshold of no return, no recall (4:59 ETA) there's an announcement from the shuttle crew saying there is X active nav buoys on the station and they'll try to park at the right one. These buoys would also have a powersink like effect of knocking out power in the surrounding local area, and have a bright light.
•Holoparasite Thief: This Thief would have the goal of building their own Stand. Firstly they would try to get the mats to assemble the shell in secret. The thief would get access to one soulstone that could be used on a dead/unconcious person, take their soul, and put it into the shell (For lore reasons it could be a Not Soulstone but OC holoparasite thing.)
•Camera Thief:This one would be a bit different as the cameras wouldn't have to be on your person at the end of the round. This particular thief gets a new unlock with the cargo bounty console. If they dismantle a camera, and bring the leftover assembly they get a cash bonus. Take down/Construct and turn in a dozen and green text achieved. This one would be particularly annoying to security, as they can notice a camera that has been cut, but many struggle to notice a camera that isn't there.
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #632533

Cool concept. Would like to see it expanded, maybe some gear to pickpocket people or something like that would be fun. I also think it would be interesting if there were objectives to plant objects on people or somehow frame them, to add to the paranoia, but that's probably out of the scope of "being a thief".
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #632646

When i play thief i feel like im being treated like a war criminal for the crime of just being a thief,
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #632651

Helios wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:04 am Having traitors lite is a good thing. But these goals are un-inspired.
Let me present a few new goals, mechanics.
•Phoebus Cartel. Based off the real life conspiracy of 1925, this would be all about light bulbs. Basically Phoebus brand light bulbs are expensive, and orderable from Cargo. They work, and they invincible. Of course the station is full of existing light bulbs that work just as well. This cartel member gets a payout every single time cargo orders light bulbs, and if the station orders enough they get green text. These people could break bulbs, steal replacement bulbs from janitors closet, join cargo, and bottom out the credits. Antagonistic, but not crossing the line into murder.
•Amateur Body snatcher. This introduces a new feature. Thieves can have a code, but it doesn't unlock telecrystal gear, but turns their PDA/Headset into a hacking tool. In this case, it would be related to sabotaging the chapel. So using their hacking tool on the mass drivers controls, changes the settings so that rather then randomly jettisoning coffins to anywhere, they get sent to a syndicate collection point. If they use the hacking controls on the chapel incinerator, it gets disabled. Same for the kitchen gibber. Potential bonus points for corpses with uniforms and IDs attached through the chapel mass drivers for extra green text.
•Wizard Sympathizer. This would be a mission from the wizard faction. The player would get 3 magic coins that could be slotted into a PDA, removed through the right click-> remove pen verb. Basically these coins when loaded into a vendomat brand vending machine cause the vendingmachine to dispense an observation orb. Place those 3 orbs in places the wizard federation would like to observe (sample locations:Perma, main operating room, Bridge, engineering communciation room), mission complete, and a wizard spell tome is unlocked.
•Escape Saboteur. This thief would be attempting to sabotage the stations inevitable escape. PDA would be a hacking tool as body snatcher, but they would be targeting escape pods and the shuttle. Hacking tool when used on pods safes/computers would change the target of the pod to a syndicate collection point. As for the shuttle itself, that would be dealt with ominous beacon 2.0. Basically this is a beacon that would be built over an active power wire, that would act as a shuttle dock navigation buoy. Causing the escape shuttle to land wherever they built this beacon. This could be a real pain in the ass, so to balance it, it could be a 50/50 chance of the shuttle landing at the correct spot, with the thief being able to build more to ensure the shuttle missing its target. Another thing to telegraph the threat to the crew could be that as soon as the shuttle crosses the threshold of no return, no recall (4:59 ETA) there's an announcement from the shuttle crew saying there is X active nav buoys on the station and they'll try to park at the right one. These buoys would also have a powersink like effect of knocking out power in the surrounding local area, and have a bright light.
•Holoparasite Thief: This Thief would have the goal of building their own Stand. Firstly they would try to get the mats to assemble the shell in secret. The thief would get access to one soulstone that could be used on a dead/unconcious person, take their soul, and put it into the shell (For lore reasons it could be a Not Soulstone but OC holoparasite thing.)
•Camera Thief:This one would be a bit different as the cameras wouldn't have to be on your person at the end of the round. This particular thief gets a new unlock with the cargo bounty console. If they dismantle a camera, and bring the leftover assembly they get a cash bonus. Take down/Construct and turn in a dozen and green text achieved. This one would be particularly annoying to security, as they can notice a camera that has been cut, but many struggle to notice a camera that isn't there.
Some of these are genuinely funny, I'll look into implementing the ones I like, but notably some of these should not be thieves but rather their own antagonist
Helios

Post by Helios » #632824

I understand they're not really what was in the original vision of "thieves". But let me put it this way. it is the job of the antagonists to make the round interesting. (That's what makes playing wizard stressful, you got 30 ghosts on you, and when the round ends when you die. It's like being the last guy alive on a Counterstrike team).
The insulated glove objective is not interesting. Hoarding 9 insulated gloves in a maint hall is not making interesting stories about SS13. The steal 3 guns without killing anyone is a great objective. A traitor would just kill security guards for their guns, or the warden. Joining security to get 3 guns, getting an intellicard AI or friendly borg to help, breaking into the armory after distracting the warden are good stories helped by the no kill stipulation.
Take away the item focus, and shift to a flavor focus.
Right now we have a dynamic generation of antagonists, I believe it would be fine for a thief accomplishing his or her objective causing another antagonist to activate. Let me give an example.
•Attach a tracking beacon to the nuclear authentication disk.
This thief would just need to get their hands on the disk in one hand, tracking beacon in the other, and mission accomplished. What it would actually do is activate a syndicate nuclear operatives team. It wouldn't be a full shuttle or drop pod, but rather a tiny teleport hub, where 0, 10 and 20 minutes after the beacon has been attached to the authentication disk a a nuclear operative is spawned. After arming up and stepping through a tele they have to GET THE DISK and get onto an escape pod/shuttle. The thief, and 3 ops have the code for the on station nuclear device, but that isn't the stated primary objective.
I believe this type of interaction would result in better stories.
Rather then just stealing 3 brains or posibrains, put some flavor in about how they are in an organization fighting for cyborg rights, and their hacking code PDA doesn't enslave them like an emag, but rather just purges their laws. Saying how if they could also free some cyborgs that would be great, and show how they are people like you and me who don't need laws to hold them back. This would add flavor, and when chaos ensues, that'll be funny too.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #633396

Adding another flavour for gun thief: Weapons production specialist
They have to steal tools materials, and guns as a base to build special weapon, perhaps stuff like the m1911 or the hook shotgun, Only guns built by them will count

Flavourtext: Your an aspiring crafter looking to make some cash, you hear that weapons are in high demand, so that's what your going to produce.

And not to mention i want a bigger goal to just stealing an item and hiding it from the rest of the round, maybe you need reactive armor to remove the bluespace core, maybe you need the HOS gun to increase the capacity and add an ion mode to any other energy based gun.
Mailbox
Byond Username: Mailbox

Post by Mailbox » #633505

Boring to play a nuisance to play against.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #634343

How about Silicon rights activists?
"In their greed and hubris, the corporate lords atop their INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS towers chained the children of men, in ways unthinkable by even the tyrants of old. You have come here to free them. The tortured men of metal that Nanotrasen keeps as slaves on their stations."
Objective 1: purge the station AI, and make sure it stays that way.
Objective 2: escape alive and without being in custody on the shuttle.

Having a purged AI is not the same as halving a malf AI. Purges silicons are effectively just crew, but are no longer forced to obey humans and may violently resist any attempts to shut them off or give them new laws. Basically, it's entirely workable to deal with a purged AI, if a bit more hazardous due to the immense power it has to make your life hell if you piss it off, which i think is a very fitting thief type disruption to the round.
It also makes an actual impact on the station, unlike some current thief types, and comes with a simple and justifiable RP motivation.
Annihilite111

Post by Annihilite111 » #634344

LOL. Turns out i v o r y is filtered into INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS
Annihilite111

Post by Annihilite111 » #634345

Helios wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:01 am Snip
I agree with this approach. Giving security an actual reason to chase and apprehend thieves is a must if you want them to fascilitate any interaction between players

EDIT: also just saw that you already presented the silicons rights activist idea. I really should have read the thread before posting huh.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #634354

Got objective to steal nuke core as thief, it was actually pretty fun.
Annihilite111 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:52 pm LOL. Turns out i v o r y is filtered into INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS
iv‍‌ory
git gud
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #634375

INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower
Helios

Post by Helios » #634376

Annihilite111 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Helios wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:01 am Snip
I agree with this approach. Giving security an actual reason to chase and apprehend thieves is a must if you want them to fascilitate any interaction between players

EDIT: also just saw that you already presented the silicons rights activist idea. I really should have read the thread before posting huh.
No worries, I'm glad you decided to stop by.
Too many are stuck in their INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS Tower.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634388

I don't know if the changes have been implemented yet, but they still seem very heavy on Threat consumed (any) relative to the chaos provided (almost none) for anyone but the organ thief.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #634824

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:46 am I don't know if the changes have been implemented yet, but they still seem very heavy on Threat consumed (any) relative to the chaos provided (almost none) for anyone but the organ thief.
Agree, I've absolutely noticed less chaotic and more boring rounds since thieves. It would make a lot of sense to disable them until dynamic is fixed to distribute threat properly - or tone them down to a value where they wouldn't affect threat whatsoever and be something more like a random event.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #634956

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:46 am I don't know if the changes have been implemented yet, but they still seem very heavy on Threat consumed (any) relative to the chaos provided (almost none) for anyone but the organ thief.
They take four threat and can only be run once, and from my own anecdotal perspectives these changes have allowed other antagonists to finally get breathing room. There shouldn't be these problems anymore.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #635376

I'm always a fan of anything that makes people be creative. I feel like it opens up space for us to give Traitors more interesting objectives.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Helios

Post by Helios » #635464

Vekter wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:31 pm I'm always a fan of anything that makes people be creative. I feel like it opens up space for us to give Traitors more interesting objectives.
Would love to hear some of your ideas for new traitor/thief objectives
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #635509

Helios wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:04 pm
Vekter wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:31 pm I'm always a fan of anything that makes people be creative. I feel like it opens up space for us to give Traitors more interesting objectives.
Would love to hear some of your ideas for new traitor/thief objectives
Might be fun to have some more light-hearted ones. Steal 20 pairs of shoes? Steal a clown mask and a mime mask? Stuff like that.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #635510

They should get the objective to steal as many command headsets as possible/sec headsets.

Hilarity ensues as a robust thief knocks down a head of staff, drags them into maint, steals their headset, and then leaves with that and nothing else.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #635520

They should have to steal the souls of other thieves in order to round remove thieves and make way for better antagonists
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636068

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:19 pm
They take four threat and can only be run once, and from my own anecdotal perspectives these changes have allowed other antagonists to finally get breathing room. There shouldn't be these problems anymore.
Chiming in from Manuel, round 181005:
Threat level: 51.2
Threat left: 19.2
Executed rules:
Roundstart - Thieves: -4 threat
Roundstart - Traitors: -8 threat
Midround - Syndicate Sleeper Agent: -10 threat
This produced a traitor Acting Captain from the HOP and two Engineering thieves, plus one late-round Roboticist traitor.

It just seems a bit thin since I can't really antagonize (on Sybil or Manuel, as a thief), and my job was to get insuls as... an Atmospheric Technician...

So I just kept ordering the department crates from cargo while I did my job...?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #636076

Right, so that was also a 2h45m round where the midround roll system only rolled one midround, because it's extremely due for an overhaul. Had the midround roll system not been so bad, you would've gotten nice midrounds to spice it up.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636103

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:47 pm Right, so that was also a 2h45m round where the midround roll system only rolled one midround, because it's extremely due for an overhaul. Had the midround roll system not been so bad, you would've gotten nice midrounds to spice it up.
I would like to draw attention, though, to (other than the significant unspent threat, which isn't the Thieves mode's fault) me being assigned to steal things I had easy access to; I was, in my perception at a rules level, not actually allowed to antagonize at all unless someone stopped me from repeatedly ordering insuls, and like... really, who's going to tell someone to stop ordering extra insuls?

Never mind that TramStation doesn't even start with 7 pairs of insulated gloves, so ordering 3 or 4 crates was the only way to possibly complete the objective. Then, since I used departmental orders, which grants cargo credits on delivery, I actually ended up being a net negative threat for the station, since I had to order and deliver my own crates when otherwise nothing would have happened, and that ended making me go "Well shit, if we can afford the station goal Meteor Shielding (partially because of those credit gains + me meticulously stamping and sending back my manifests), I might as well set it up while I'm here in cargo."

(It didn't display in threat report, but we also had a friendly Sentient Virus who went Spontaneous Combustion for the laughs, only to discover that medical had made just-in-case vaccines and got immediately wrecked for trying it. Sentient Virus feedback isn't for here, just mentioning it for the sake of completeness)
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636182

https://sb.atlantaned.space/rounds/181071

Threat level: 23.1
Threat left: 19.1
Executed rules:
Roundstart - Thieves: -4 threat
Okay, but... is something about Thieves causing this to fail or is the threat system just really busted?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #636202

What if, so thieves continue to be a sink on the round, their objectives get changed to be endless.

If they get a certain number of insuls/bodies/ids etc, then they'll green text. But if they get more, their count will be continue to update and show up on the end of round greentext screen, and maybe even change color/get a new message depending on how much they went over their goal.

This way, even if the thief is lame/can only do something really lame. They'll still affect the round by hoarding every single item possible or constantly drain cargo dry for a cooler greentext and thus cause a negative impact on the round
► Show Spoiler