Remove Ants 2022

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Remove Ants 2022

Post by Pandarsenic » #629214

• Without GoonStation's full Ant Chem support, you can't do anything with ants and ants can't do anything with you
  • Nobody(?) wants to take charge of making them Do Something in a way that doesn't step on GoonChem's toes
  • Ants are a nuisance, but not (or barely) a meaningful one
  • They have no real interactable RP implication (and it's unrealistic that food on the station rots and gets swarmed by ants so quickly anyway)
  • You can still have food rot away if you think it's really important to not leave food items on the floor?
  • It turns maintenance mice into annoying piles when they become a food item on the floor by chewing a wire
  • Nobody(?) has any positive ants-related experiences
We tried, it didn't work, nothing wrong with that but let's call it a day on ants.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Remove Ants 2022

Post by Shadowflame909 » #629217

Antz copied a bugs life
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #629305

don't leave out food and you wont get ants bro, simple as
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #629314

oranges wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:03 pm don't leave out food and you wont get ants bro, simple as
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #629324

i asked for the mouse thing to be fixed like the days after it was merged but then didn't do anything
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #629327

I wish you could cover food. Like, wrapping paper but it's just a plastic wrap overlay. Or actually zip lock bags like evidence bags might look better. Would make more sense than ants that can't climb.

Food should take longer to decompose, too. And temperature should affect decomposure rates. The kitchen has a cold room that sets off the atmos alarm every time the door is opened but as far as I'm aware that's just fluff that probably only affects lizard cooks.

Decomposure should be an overlay when there aren't proper sprites, too. Creating piles of burnt messes looks cheap and bad. Certain things should be blacklisted from becoming piles of shit to begin with.

Instead of ants' nests being caltrops that play a bite sound and cause damage every time you step on them, they should apply the ant reagent like when someone throws it on you if you stand on them for a couple of seconds. A delay and applying reagents could probably be worked into the caltrop component.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #629329

cacogen wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:49 pm Instead of ants' nests being caltrops that play a bite sound and cause damage every time you step on them, they should apply the ant reagent like when someone throws it on you if you stand on them for a couple of seconds. A delay and applying reagents could probably be worked into the caltrop component.
This is a good idea. It ought to take a few seconds for the creepy crawlies to climb aboard your pantleg.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #629346

seems reasonable, the food stuff is probably fine too, chilling food would be cool, but you should get ab ad moodlet if you eat frozen food.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #629356

counterpoint the fuck: my fucking post about eating ants like a gorilla FUCK YOU just LET ME EAT ANTS GOD DAMN IT i want to return to aepe life
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #629362

someone sprite ant eaters
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #629363

Mothblocks wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:38 pm someone sprite ant eaters
I have desired this for a long time...
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #629393

If someone will actually take responsibility for making ants do something other than be shitty caltrops until you scoop them up and throw them at a wall to kill them and STOP EATING MICE that's fine too

Otherwise please remove

Either outcome is good. Great, even.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #629402

cacogen wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:49 pm The kitchen has a cold room that sets off the atmos alarm every time the door is opened but as far as I'm aware that's just fluff that probably only affects lizard cooks.
This is honestly mostly a nitpick, but the cold room actually being cold is a metastation only (Maybe another one?) thing. No idea why.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #629409

TheFinalPotato wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:30 am
cacogen wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:49 pm The kitchen has a cold room that sets off the atmos alarm every time the door is opened but as far as I'm aware that's just fluff that probably only affects lizard cooks.
This is honestly mostly a nitpick, but the cold room actually being cold is a metastation only (Maybe another one?) thing. No idea why.
Should be all stations and there should be benefits to cold food storage
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #629417

Should be all stations to bully lizard cooks.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #629647

Mothblocks wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:36 pm i asked for the mouse thing to be fixed like the days after it was merged but then didn't do anything
It's a line change at this point. I didn't add it myself because I already had folk on my case about cytology balance.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #629658

Armhulen wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:45 am
TheFinalPotato wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:30 am
Should be all stations and there should be benefits to cold food storage
It's definitely on DeltaStation and Ice Box Station because I've done my best as an atmospheric technician (and once as an AI) to try to keep the room below the threshold to stop it triggering the air alarm and it's either been too cold or it hasn't worked without holofans which don't look very good in that tiny space plus you may need them before research unlocks more projectors.

I agree though, cold should affect the rate at which food degrades and when frozen it shouldn't degrade at all. Like Rimworld. It's the sort of feature I've wanted since noticing fridge closets and freezer crates in the game and wondering why they're even there if they don't do anything.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #629674

Ive seen pax make ant bombs and ant smoke machines

whats the problem
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #629740

I have a kill tally of lone ops I've killed with ants. They're good if you're evil enough.