Loyalty Pin Addtion PR

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Merge he?

Yes, as-is.
72%
Yes, with changes (post recommendations)
4%
No
24%

Total votes: 25

Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Loyalty Pin Addtion PR

Post by Cheridan » #74954

Making thread for GUN_HOG who currently does not have access to a PC.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8237

Should Loyalty Pins, which make a firearm only work if the user is loyalty-implanted, be creatable in R&D? Please check the PR for specific research and resource requirements.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Loyalty Pin Addtion PR

Post by Steelpoint » #74955

What I think should be emphasized is that this PR does not make any guns start of with a Loyalty Firing Pin, it just means that RnD can chose to produce them if they research far enough.

On that note I support this PR, it can allow for some creative antags to work around the lack of firing pins, but also gives Science a good bargaining tool to use with Sec to help in acquiring proper Firing Pins.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #74959

Requires diamond if it doesnt then i vote no

(Oh it does but if you upgrade the proto you only need like 200 diamond up the cost to 3,000 diamond so it goes down to 1k at max upgrades for proto)

Also Combat 6
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #74963

That's a hell of a lot of diamond, and remember that it's physically impossible to put these in security's regular gear. Combat six should probbably be a thing though.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #74988

Combat 10? Well some coder was duplicitous.

Guess we already had the design thanks Gunhog for making it possible to create instead of some dumb impossible tease.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #75013

Computer restored! Thank you, Cheridan for getting this thread up! So far, the support is mostly positive, so I have but one question left...Combat 5 or Combat 6? Please reply with your comments below. If you do not feel like typing out a message, just post a number.

Keep in mind that the difference between these two is that Combat 6 requires combat shotguns from Cargo in order to achieve, thus greatly increasing the rarity of the item. Post thoughts below! :newcop:
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #75015

Incomptinence wrote:Combat 10? Well some coder was duplicitous.

Guess we already had the design thanks Gunhog for making it possible to create instead of some dumb impossible tease.
The point was that people didn't seem to like them at the time so I made them require combat 10 in order to make them unattainable.

apparently listening to people is deceitful now
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #75027

Then why put them in RND designs in the first place? Admin events? Never heard of an admin messing with research levels have you? I would think spawning it would be easier really.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #75041

Incomptinence wrote:Then why put them in RND designs in the first place? Admin events? Never heard of an admin messing with research levels have you? I would think spawning it would be easier really.
it was put in for future changes, such as this which was not the original PR's goal
the original PR was more focused on nuke op changes iirc
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #75044

Please include the combat level you suggest for loyalty pins when you reply! I need the feedback.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #75045

You can literally get combat 5 in about 5 minutes, if you want. IF (and it's a big if), they do get added in, don't make them any lower then 6.

I've already argued why I don't like them, but the one positive of them that I hadn't considered, which is pretty neat, is another work around for antags/non sec to get their hands on working guns. Sure it would be pretty uncommon, but it would be neat.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #75078

Now all we need is high-Illegal unrestricted pins?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #75414

I set the reqs to Combat 6, Mats 6, Power 3.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #75425

Cheridan wrote:Making thread for GUN_HOG who currently does not have access to a PC.

Should Loyalty Pins, which make a firearm only work if the user is loyalty-implanted, be creatable in R&D?
No. This enables WAY too much metagaming.
Remove the AI.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #75453

No, no it doesn't.

Explain how it possibly leads to meta gaming.

It's addition/rejection is purely a balance issue.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #75534

rockpecker wrote:
Cheridan wrote:Making thread for GUN_HOG who currently does not have access to a PC.

Should Loyalty Pins, which make a firearm only work if the user is loyalty-implanted, be creatable in R&D?
No. This enables WAY too much metagaming.
if this enables metagaming, then so do sechuds.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #75535

I think the word he wanted was "powergaming".
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #75687

Incomptinence wrote:Never heard of an admin messing with research levels have you? I would think spawning it would be easier really.
Spawned some escaped monster/convict with a Level 8 in all research disk implanted in his stomach on the station, monster just ventcrawled everywhere and killed/ate all the pets. Convict was given a half-assed uplink and an agent ID card.

They actually got the CMO to bring surgery tools to the interrogation room to pull it out of the flyman, that was entertaining.

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:No, no it doesn't.

Explain how it possibly leads to meta gaming.

It's addition/rejection is purely a balance issue.
Traitors don't give a fuck about loyalty implants. When/if they ever have to listen to loyatly implants, sec will implant literally anything that comes through the brig which is a different side to the whole powergaming argument.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #75755

I like the idea of a traitor breaking into armoury/HoS office to get loyalty implants to shoot a gun that they could have easily emagged. This amuses me.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #75768

Make use of the tools you have available. If you get searched and have a bunch of random deadly shit and guns from various departments, at worst you look like a massive greytider.
Caught with a revolver or emag? REV UP THEM HARMBATONS, SALAD'S ON THE MENU.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #76088

I want loyalty firing pin doing this.

aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #76142

If based RR gets done with dismemberment, this could become a hilariously swift possibility. Imagine the victim trying to use the gun only to have it fling their arm down the hallway as the gun explodes violently, knocking them down.

Examining the gun should counteract this though, like "Its status screen depicts a lock and a Nanotrasen symbol."
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #76151

Well, what firing pin is installed does show up on examine, anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: