Neutered and unnatural antags are leading to eternal bar RP

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Neutered and unnatural antags are leading to eternal bar RP

Post by massa » #632435

This is weird. Ritual sacrifice should murder people. Secret agents sent for corporate espionage, sabotage, and terrorism shouldn't have equipment they can afford restricted upon the basis of time. Both of these are new and unnatural systems, and the discourse and discussion around them is weird, because there's a group pushing this angle and they honestly all sound the same, and frequently discuss these changes and opinions publicly.

This shit is softened up to the point that heretics send you to 'heck' for 2 minutes with a flavor text that says "No tattling!" I feel like my behavior is being governed by coders. These are weird, forced, unnatural interactions because 'ided'. Worse than that, a coder's conception of someone else's 'ided'. 'Ided' was never an issue until recently. I've been playing since 2011 and haven't seen the word 'round removal' until like, relatively recently. And it's treated like some kind of anathema. Tots don't do this, but they're restricted in other weird, nonsensical ways.

This doesn't lead to what you guys seem to think it does. This doesn't lead to traitors covertly using their tools to accomplish their objectives, nor does it lead to anything but a shittier heretic experience. Heretic especially, with its explanations, mechanics, rituals, EXTREMELY demanding recipes, leads to me being the only person I see doing sacrifices. This shit is so idiosyncratic. Heretic was already an uphill battle, now it's just flavor text that tells people they can maxcap or release aids. Trying to force RP, keep people in the game, and limit and structure gameplay in these weird ways just leads to this, people check out, release a virus, plasma flood, or do anything but heretic shit. Almost every single heretic on the antag panel is clocking out with 0 sacrifices. No one knows how to do it, or worse, doesn't give a shit. When heretic wasn't a whole song and dance, and still the most complex and fucked up antag, it was a pretty good time.

For traitors, I've been playing a lot of security lately. The objectives and system is fine, it's a good time, even. But restricting access to the shop? What? This just leads to 2 things: robust players just afk in lockers until they can buy a desword or do what they want to do, ignoring the whole system, and the less robust but even normal, experienced players, just seem checked out. They aren't doing antag shit. They aren't killing people, they aren't doing James Bond shit. They're getting caught, sheepishly getting rolled around in brig for their mostly unused uplink (because they can't buy shit lol), that sec then buys a bunch of toys with. Then, the random traitor gets let go because no one is going to kill a random guy for bugging CMO's office. So, now you just have some renegade MD who, for some reason, is still doing his job, like some kind of defanged animal.

Ritual sacrifice, nuclear terrorism, and corporate espionage are not things that need to be softened up. This shit is getting boring and lame and I think this type of content, change, and direction is responsible. This game, despite being silly, pixelated and 2d, goes hard as fuck and that's why we came to it. The raw freedom the game provides is what makes it attractive, and this kind of structuring of gameplay is the very opposite.

Sybil's pop has been declining really hard. It almost can't scratch its way out of 50, and if it does, it collapses right back down. This decline is a very recent thing, and I'm with the crowd. Round after round of security where the biggest threat to the station is the captain, a virus, or fucked up atmos and firelocks. It's been weeks of this game being basically greenshift. These are the new antagonists. I've been putting some weeks into sec, but I've also just been playing atmos tech, assistant, etc. the jobs I normally play, and it's all the same shit. Sec is brutal because you really see the true scope of how little antags are doing.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: Neutered and unnatural antags are leading to eternal bar RP

Post by sinfulbliss » #632436

I agree the reputation system for traitors could use some fixing. Frequently I'll get -90% rep objectives because it claims I'm ahead of where I should be. Holding items for 15 min, 1/3rd of an LRP round, is a long time. There shouldn't be items like elite syndie modsuit that take 2 hours minimum to unlock even when you complete objectives one after the other nonstop.

Highpop rounds on LRP will VERY rarely cross the 1.5hr mark, so that means "final objectives" essentially are never seen on LRP. The lack of a greentext/escape alive objective also makes it a bit anticlimactic.
Spoiler:
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #632437

This game has been beyond boring recently. Round after round of literally nothing interesting happening at all because all of the traitors are too busy doing fetch quests, and half of the threat was spent on thieves. I dont want to be part of the "TGSTATION IS DYING!!" crowd but the pop (on sybil) has definitely suffered and im not having that much fun. This game is great when its a chaotic clusterfuck where a bunch of crazy shit is happening, and that has not been the case recently. Thank god less people are getting round removed though, right??????????
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #632438

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:12 am I agree the reputation system for traitors could use some fixing. Frequently I'll get -90% rep objectives because it claims I'm ahead of where I should be. Holding items for 15 min, 1/3rd of an LRP round, is a long time. There shouldn't be items like elite syndie modsuit that take 2 hours minimum to unlock even when you complete objectives one after the other nonstop.

Highpop rounds on LRP will VERY rarely cross the 1.5hr mark, so that means "final objectives" essentially are never seen on LRP. The lack of a greentext/escape alive objective also makes it a bit anticlimactic.
Well then open a PR and balance the items cost to what you think is right!
massa

Post by massa » #632444

JusticeGoat wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:43 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:12 am I agree the reputation system for traitors could use some fixing. Frequently I'll get -90% rep objectives because it claims I'm ahead of where I should be. Holding items for 15 min, 1/3rd of an LRP round, is a long time. There shouldn't be items like elite syndie modsuit that take 2 hours minimum to unlock even when you complete objectives one after the other nonstop.

Do you guys get off to saying this or something?

Almost no one knows how to code or how github works. Normal players PRing balance changes to coder content would probably get shut down and be met with heavy resistance, if someone did somehow step up to that plate.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #632452

This isn't policy this is coding feedback.
 ! Message from: RaveRadbury
I moved this thread from Policy Discussion to Coding feedback.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #632455

Love you too bestie
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #632456

JusticeGoat wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:43 am

against design doc + unit tests failed + no GBP + touch bugs + webedit + species change + 🤨 + bad practice +
WHY + not a fix + copypasta + doesn't compile + your balance change is awful + :master + why is it good of the game? + marked as draft + stale + merge conflict + closed
massa

Post by massa » #632467

RaveRadbury wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:00 am This isn't policy this is coding feedback.
I would qualify this as coding feedback.

Coders talk quite brazenly about the direction they're intentionally moving the game into. This smells like policy, which I guess admins can't influence coders on, but coders sure seem to have carte blanche. To the point they've made ritual sacrifice into a harmless activity. This is coding feedback because coders keep designing much too complex systems and slow systems that structure and force certain behaviors, as opposed to more classic ss13 design, in which simple and difficult tasks are provided an abundance of tools and a slap on the ass to get them done. I feel like I'm locked into a different game (exclusively in the context of heretic), and not in a very good way.

Multiple systems that were straightforward, easy, and functional have, in the last 3~ months, have had 1 step processes turned into 10, given fancy UIs with lots of text and stuff to do and only 30 minutes to do it, because that's how long SS13 round are. 30-50 minutes, max. You have 3 sec players who say they haven't seen antags in weeks and pop is in the hyperbolic gutter because no one cares for viroogy/atmos flood/thiefrounds 24/7 for weeks. Every traitor is the same story, a PDAless bored guy in a locker. Heretics don't/cant sac. I haven't seen a tot do creative shit in a while, much less anything worth a security response. This specifically could just be fixed by allowing full access to the uplink off rip.

This is a code issue, even if it's an issue with the direction of the code.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #632468

Terry pop has taken a hit recently too, as someone who mains sec I'm simply enclined to agree with the points that massa has brought up here. A lot of the threat and action now happens on the 40 minute mark because traitors either do nothing or go around bugginng the CMO'S office, get caught and then are either released without their gear or killed not giving them a chance to ramp up and making the round a snoozefest. Having more tc suprisingly doesn't make the tots too much more powerful, because they have 9 deswords x-ray vision noslips ect ect but a single batong still kills them. I've seen players literally say "I am going to be ssd for 1 hr until the shop unlocks" and security will not hunt them .

The new heretic is a complete snoozefest too, I've not really seen it be a threat. The amount of blades has been nerfed to 3(Correct me if I'm wrong) heavily impacting their escape. The people they kill get revived for whatever reason. People don't enjoy this kind of gameplay.

I know for a fact that some players have straight up left because of this. One of our biggest content creators (Livrah) is on the verge of being pushed away from /tg/ because of these changes which will be a huge blow.

However, most feedback/issues are met with deal with it so I'd be surpised if these aren't.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #632470

There's a very odd obsession with preventing murderbones on LRP by restricting gear and making TC more cumbersome and time consuming to obtain. Ask LRP players the last time they saw a murderbone. Or ask Mothblocks since they're a coder and play a lot. It hardly happened before the traitor rework to begin with. It's my understanding the rework had the partial goal of preventing roundstart murderboning. On Manuel this is disallowed. On LRP this doesn't happen because crew validhunts them down in a few minutes anyway.

The design incentive to prevent murderboning is a bad one because it corrects for a nonexistent problem, which means now it slows rounds. The system overall is more refined and could prove more fun than old traitor if rep + objective timegates were tweaked. There's no real issue with antags having more TC and more gear since, as Lukas said, they will be batonned by sec or a validhunter 9 times out of 10 on LRP. And on MRP I can't imagine it being an issue since they have different rulesets to mitigate this.
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #632473

Frankly, as sec, I'm happier when a tot hits the comms console to summon in something nastier so we can have some actual action going on. AFKtot is really not a quality improvement over the proactive and interesting contractor it replaced, though rarely did I see contractors anyway. Maybe because they were seen as too hardcore.

On the flipside I switched off tot because I'm constantly feeling directionless and like nothing I do matters. I ultimately don't need to try to succeed and security can't in theory stop me or honestly incentivized to do much at all unless I'm killing folk (which I can opt to ignore which to me was part of the thrill of random objectives and making elaborate clandestine plans). I'm doing little chores for ultimately no payoff, and once a round hits a certain point anything I could do is largely uninteresting by comparison to the midrounds that might have rolled that take the show. This feels like the lowest points of old tot (no real obstacles between you and your goal and not having much direction because objectives effectively completed themselves somehow), but almost all the time.

I would rather my actions immediately be able to start flavoring the round, and I don't mean like murderboning, I mean longterm planning items like hypnoflashes and hacked uploads or even just powersinks and bombs. I can't even pizza bomb people until most of the shift is over. I think it even conditions people a little to be more on the alert because you can vaguely meta when traitors will come online.

I'm waiting on heretic because I actually do want to mess with the rituals to produce some fun stuff and the new system is a bit more condusive to that. Also heretics are actually fighting people and need to be aggressive to succeed their fairly tough objectives, so I'm happier to know they're around than snoozefest tots.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #632474

Abductors are neutered antags too. But they give the crew semi-permanent side-effects that lead to some permanent negative round consequences.

If you get sacrificed by a heretic. Maybe there needs to be a more permanent scar on the round pre-ascension too. Like Ash-Heretic sacrifices are constantly gaining fire-stacks, as the patron from beyond is trying to disintegrate them into ash. Flesh heretic sacrifices are devolving into simple mobs, ala gluttonys blessing/slime mutation toxin transformation, Frost heretic sacrifices are temporarily turning into statues every 2 minutes (think wizard flesh to stone.) All these effects end when whichever heretic sacrificed them dies. Thus giving sec a reason to slam the heretic, while giving the crewmembers who got sacrificed costly issues after staying in the round, but at least they're not dead.
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #632477

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:17 pm If you get sacrificed by a heretic. Maybe there needs to be a more permanent scar on the round pre-ascension too.
or we could just go back to the system where it drops your organs if you're sacrificed and just leaves your corpse on the rune. Gave heretics a need to dispose of corpses and also gave them useful crafting materials.
Edit:
But yeah, this is a huge issue. I personally find biddle traitors fun, and way more satisfying than old traitor, but if server pop is tanking as a consequence then it needs to change or go.
Personally, I'd like to see them given more dangerous equipment in their uplink from the start(esword, mak), but they no longer get passive reputation gain and are required to go do objectives if they want any of the cool stuff like the DESword or Bomb.
I don't know if this is possible as a ruleset for Dynamic, but having thieves be a one-time 0-cost thing at the start of the round instead of taking any threat may also help. They should be a supporting cast for real antagonists; while they may distract security for a time, they don't actually have any threat to them and should be treated accordingly.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #632686

server pop "tanking" being a consequence of code changes is possible, but it isnt the only explanation- there was a very large game release recently, one plenty of people are talking about playing on the discord. peoples interests move on, naturally, regardless of changes. people take breaks, people move to dif code bases, pop ebbs and flows. this is more doomerisms and nothing more

I do agree getting sac'd and then just dropped back down into the station is jarring, weird, and not very thematic though, and thieves are in my opinion a bit disappointing, though the idea of smaller minor antags that dont have the full freedom of rule 4 but in turn arent just insta valid for round removal is appealing to me
► Show Spoiler
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #632730

This thread hits painfully close to home. I originally stopped playing ss13 from pure burnout, but a lot of the recent changes have made me wanna stay gone. It feels like the administration and maintainers have a shared vision of medium RP for all /tg/ servers or something, rather than respecting both the NRP and LRP playerbases.

Also I’m not sure what the issue with contractor was. It was added as a challenge mode for experienced players that wanted something more fun and rewarding than normal objectives with unique gear while also being significantly harder, and it filled its niche perfectly IMO. It definitely didn’t need to be removed in place of the new objectives system, they’re not very similar at all. I don’t think I can overstate how much I enjoyed contractor.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #632750

issue appears to be one of skill, now leave.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #633466

Plainly speaking, changes regressed /tg/ clones like voidcrew (ex-whitesands) server are expanding rapidly at this thread-topic's expense, mirroring imsxz that there are better things people can do than play straight-cut manuel if the experience is not entertaining enough.

Spoiler:
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633480

I think rounds have been a lot slower than they were in, say, October of 2021. I still found it worth playing but I definitely noticed a tangible difference in the pacing of rounds. I reckon it's a combination of prog tot being poorly implemented on LRP with rounds lasting 45min on average and most objectives lasting 15min, along with something funky going on with Dynamic that Mothblocks spoke about (although I'm not sure when that started).

Then again if your scale is a decade then maybe this is pretty standard. That's just what I've noticed playing very actively for 2 years or so.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #633481

The funky that I spoke about is more issues that have always existed but have been exacerbated over time, not any recent bugs FWIW, just reasonable people pushed things over Dynamic's limits, and it's Dynamic that needs to be adjusted
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633485

FantasticFwoosh wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:23 pm Plainly speaking, changes regressed /tg/ clones like voidcrew (ex-whitesands) server are expanding rapidly at this thread-topic's expense, mirroring imsxz that there are better things people can do than play straight-cut manuel if the experience is not entertaining enough.
when are you going to play on one and stop shitting up my forum then fwoosh?

you're like the eternal I'm leaving guy who never quite makes it out of the door, is this an a Italian goodbye or what?

maybe if more of you dumbasses complaining that you're going to leave actually left we might have to make some more change around here.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #633493

I don't feel that I've seen that antags are all that neutered, but I don't really like the progression system very much probbably because I don't understand it and you can't work out what an antag was doing in the round from roundend because the roundend screen is broken for progression traitor.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #633495

Is it just non functional? issue report up?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #633510

TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:56 pm Is it just non functional? issue report up?
I mean I asked if it was normal that antags could (and often did have) both rep objectives complete even if they had no or only 1 rep objective done and was told that actually they had way more but it wasnt reported right
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #633522

Muh issue reports
massa

Post by massa » #633572

TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:26 pm Muh issue reports
is this some github thing because github is 100% incoherent and incomprehensible to anyone who isn't a c*der and it's deliberately that way to obfuscate things from the reach and effects of normies.

no one knows how to use git, what it is, and no one ever will, and this is how the coders maintain their 1984
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #633580

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... _report.md
There's a button in the top right of the game window.

It has nothing to do with git, and even if it did github desktop is the most baby mode git client you can use
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633585

massa wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:33 am
is this some github thing because github is 100% incoherent and incomprehensible to anyone who isn't a c*der and it's deliberately that way to obfuscate things from the reach and effects of normies.

no one knows how to use git, what it is, and no one ever will, and this is how the coders maintain their 1984
yes
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #633626

massa wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:33 am

it often feels like pr bodies and changelogs leave out or are deliberately vague about changes to conceal them from the players

when i can be bothered i try to autistically detail every change a pr makes in as little words as possible but that just opens you up to the peanut gallery so i understand why people don't do it
massa

Post by massa » #633999

Mothblocks wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:32 pm The funky that I spoke about is more issues that have always existed but have been exacerbated over time, not any recent bugs FWIW, just reasonable people pushed things over Dynamic's limits, and it's Dynamic that needs to be adjusted
also can you look into threat spending

a 70 round threat often has a shitload of unspent threat, 30+ by like the end of the round? seems relevant i didn't know where to post it tbh
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #634001

Yeah, that problem is acknowledged and solved in the Dynamic 2022 doc by changing how midround timing works.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<