Allow counterplay to Viruses

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Allow counterplay to Viruses

Post by Helios » #632935

The problem with viruses is that players cannot really counter the virus, beyond going to the medbay and getting the cure.
There was/is a counterplay to the cryosting of Changeling, which was drinking a lot of coffee.
What I would suggest is adding items like cough drops and forehead cooling patches, which can be bought from vending machines. Players knocking down cough drops and coffee to overcome being sick makes intuitive sense, and would make people less angry about virology
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Allow counterplay to Viruses

Post by Farquaar » #632948

The counterplay to viruses is to avoid getting infected. This can be accomplished by wearing various PPE items scattered throughout medbay, by switching on internals, or by avoiding touching other crewmembers.
► Show Spoiler
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #632949

And the counterplay to various injuries caused by weapons is don't get hit. So it doesn't matter how bad those injuries are, or if they require someone else to heal them?
Yeah, yeah. I see how it is.
Just don't lose. ez
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #632950

Helios wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:08 pm And the counterplay to various injuries caused by weapons is don't get hit.
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #632954

Viruses as they stand are incredibly boring, because the only solution that guarantees you won't get infected(which is necessary at times, because some viruses are outstandingly lethal or obnoxious) is "wear a full biosuit and internals and stand in an empty, secluded room alone and away from everyone else" in a game about roleplay.
There's got to be some sort of counter to this.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #633012

random viruses are fine but virology aids is just atrocious, but i like virology and thing it is soul

mostly and explicitly and entirely the department itself, nothing about its effects on the game.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633017

Simple vendor stuff to ameliorate the symptoms until medical gets their shit together and gets a cure? Sign me up.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #633019

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:15 pm Viruses as they stand are incredibly boring, because the only solution that guarantees you won't get infected(which is necessary at times, because some viruses are outstandingly lethal or obnoxious) is "wear a full biosuit and internals and stand in an empty, secluded room alone and away from everyone else" in a game about roleplay.
Yeah, and that can make a good story. Hearing crewmembers beg to put them out of their misery on comms as the virus husks the last person working in medical is great. You don't have to stick yourself in every single thing that happens in a round for it to be considered "roleplay".
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #633023

Striders13 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:00 am Yeah, and that can make a good story. Hearing crewmembers beg to put them out of their misery on comms as the virus husks the last person working in medical is great. You don't have to stick yourself in every single thing that happens in a round for it to be considered "roleplay".
A great story? Maybe. A great experience? Fuck no. "Playing" the game while there's a supervirus rampaging around the station is miserable and it makes me want to play something else. Sometimes I do.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #634309

Certain symptoms already can be managed, coffee works for narcolepsy and chills for example.

Would be good if there was more stuff like this, particularly for annoying symptoms like catching on fire. Not sure if repeatedly putting the fire out counts, given it basically prevents you doing anything else.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #634324

Stuff that temporarily cures specific symptoms and not the whole virus would be cool

It'd be like an expansion of cobby med. Take this pill that cures your virus's random Flaming Hot Body death BS in exchange for one that makes you drowsy. Or a pill that cures the random KO part of the virus, in exchange for being so amped up that you cannot hold weapons at all and are just dropping stuff randomly
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634332

Give us one that fucking stops coughing temporarily, I don't CARE what the downside is, I'll take it
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #634336

Shadowflame909 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:45 am
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:19 am
Helios wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:50 pm Players knocking down cough drops and coffee to overcome being sick makes intuitive sense, and would make people less angry about virology
Give us one that fucking stops coughing temporarily, I don't CARE what the downside is, I'll take it
Stuff that temporarily cures specific symptoms and not the whole virus would be cool

It'd be like an expansion of cobby med. Take this pill that cures your virus's random Flaming Hot Body death BS in exchange for one that makes you drowsy. Or a pill that cures the random KO part of the virus, in exchange for being so amped up that you cannot hold weapons at all and are just dropping stuff randomly
They feed us poison (viruses)

So we buy their medicine (random medbay compounds)

But they ban our cure. (enclosed)
► Show Spoiler

Spoiler:
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #634340

Striders13 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:00 am Yeah, and that can make a good story. Hearing crewmembers beg to put them out of their misery on comms as the virus husks the last person working in medical is great.
This is a videogame I play to have fun. sitting in a room alone while people complain over comms that medical is full of morons so the super epic death virus someone released 10 minutes into the shift doesnt have a cure yet isnt fun
Helios wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:50 pm The problem with viruses is that players cannot really counter the virus, beyond going to the medbay and getting the cure.
There was/is a counterplay to the cryosting of Changeling, which was drinking a lot of coffee.
What I would suggest is adding items like cough drops and forehead cooling patches, which can be bought from vending machines. Players knocking down cough drops and coffee to overcome being sick makes intuitive sense, and would make people less angry about virology
A lot of the super gamer death viruses people make will kill so quickly you literally cannot react, or will have additional effects like confusion, sleep, etc so that you already cant get help. Adding these counterplays would only be useful for intentionally low lethality viruses or random diseases. the only real counterplay to competent virology is to remove the entire subdepartment and permaban anyone with over 100 hours in it for being a confirmed shitter
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #634342

I feel like cyan is mad at me for making him blind the other day. I guess I need to adminwho to make sure he's not online so he doesn't try to come up with ways to permaban me for playing a job he doesn't like.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #634347

Okay more serious post on virology from the guy with too many virology hours.

I typically don't bother to vaccine myself before spreading a virus, because that's not as fun. If I catch it then I need to rush for a cure too.

How to avoid getting sick.
1. If it's airborne, you're going to get it but that means the cure is going to be something stupid easy like oil. Just walk to chemistry and get oil, then murder the virologist.
2. If it's spreading quickly, but people aren't having symptoms in a timely manner, good chance of on-contact. Don't fucking touch other people. No hugs, no handshakes, no shoving, no punching.
3. Otherwise (aka 95% of the time) practice Social distancing. No seriously, social distancing is your friend. Sneezing is cone based, so don't stand with people staring at your ugly mug. Coughing is a short radius around the person, so don't stand right next to them.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #634348

Nabski wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:19 pm I typically don't bother to vaccine myself before spreading a virus, because that's not as fun. If I catch it then I need to rush for a cure too.

How to avoid getting sick.
1. If it's airborne, you're going to get it but that means the cure is going to be something stupid easy like oil. Just walk to chemistry and get oil, then murder the virologist.
2. If it's spreading quickly, but people aren't having symptoms in a timely manner, good chance of on-contact. Don't fucking touch other people. No hugs, no handshakes, no shoving, no punching.
3. Otherwise (aka 95% of the time) practice Social distancing. No seriously, social distancing is your friend. Sneezing is cone based, so don't stand with people staring at your ugly mug. Coughing is a short radius around the person, so don't stand right next to them.
no way man that’s too complicated i’m just gonna ignore all the sneezing coughing and radio chatter and then complain when I get sick on the forums
► Show Spoiler
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #634350

If we really are being serious now, devils advocate on a virus related current role i have played (Sentient Virus), curing a disease from a disease's perspective and not virology is that any silver bullet compound is a game over in due time, as the disease is expunged from the body rather than in real life, vaccines curtail a array of symptoms (usually penultimate one that allows the disease life cycle to continue, like leprosy being infectious from open sores caused by the disease.) from occuring.

I suppose this is also relatable to what kind of disease it is, you might not be immune from spreading it after first treatment if you've hardened your initial disease to require timed installments of vaccine, which is good for the antagonist who need to maintain driving goal-objectives, and likely the virologist who can plan a second disease to build upon the first as co-morbidity (first's inactive for coughing, but the violent top heavy second disease has no innate coughing to spread.)

Spoiler:
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #634521

We already have a cough suppressing reagent, don't we? Could just bundle those up into drops and put them in the smoke vendors.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634523

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:15 pm We already have a cough suppressing reagent, don't we? Could just bundle those up into drops and put them in the smoke vendors.
Not seeing any sign of it in the wiki, at least not under Ctrl+F "Cough"
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #634528

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:21 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:15 pm We already have a cough suppressing reagent, don't we? Could just bundle those up into drops and put them in the smoke vendors.
I was thinking of the "uplift smooth" cigs, which suppress coughing while smoked.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #634536

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:55 pm
I was thinking of the "uplift smooth" cigs, which suppress coughing while smoked.
Menthol?
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #634551

Valorium wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:37 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:55 pm
Menthol?
think so
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634657

Wait, are we able to just dispense this shit raw from the bar?
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #634667

Holy shit just play plasmeme lol
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634675

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:41 pm Wait, are we able to just dispense this shit raw from the bar?
Update, yeah you can just poop this shit out of the dispenser or vend entire bottles of it.

In which case, I say HELL YEAH let's get Cough Drops that are just a few units of menthol and maybe some other ingredients for flavor or fun?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #634785

i dont know where the biosuits are on half the maps. make them easier to find
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #634792

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:18 pm i dont know where the biosuits are on half the maps. make them easier to find
They're in viro or right outside viro
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #634797

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:53 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:41 pm Wait, are we able to just dispense this shit raw from the bar?
Update, yeah you can just poop this shit out of the dispenser or vend entire bottles of it.

In which case, I say HELL YEAH let's get Cough Drops that are just a few units of menthol and maybe some other ingredients for flavor or fun?
I want a round where chemistry and the bar band together and make a shitton of cough drops of various flavors. Lemon, lime, etc.

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634798

"But there's no virus out there yet"

"Don't worry, we already have virology working on it"

"Wait no--"
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #634800

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:53 pm
I say HELL YEAH let's get Cough Drops that are just a few units of menthol and maybe some other ingredients for flavor or fun?
I have no intention of coder spriting that