Catastrophic meteors event.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Catastrophic meteors event.

Post by Turbonerd » #633400

Quite possibly the least fun event. It is far too common for the impact it causes. The shuttle gets called almost every single time it occurs, usually giving it more weight to the round than every antagonist combined. It causes so many atmos diffs that the atmos ss slows down to the point where the supermatter engine can reach almost or sometimes over 5GeV from just the default emitter setup.

The impact it occurs is far too high for its frequency, and I'm not sure that a random event that almost guarantees a shuttle call is good design.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Re: Catastrophic meteors event.

Post by JusticeGoat » #633409

I noticed that too meteors roll a lot, and more than often ruin the vibe of the round. Just kills any motivation for people to work and has ruined a few small admin events since 8 out of 10 times its a shuttle call.

I have requested a tgui panel a few times for admins to toggle on and off select events, but adjusting its rng chance to roll would be nice.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #633410

The point of the meteors event is to either get engineers to WE BUILD(very rare) or end the round.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #633412

Turbonerd wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:04 am The impact it occurs is far too high for its frequency, and I'm not sure that a random event that almost guarantees a shuttle call is good design.
got any proof of it's frequency?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #633415

I don't know about live frequency but I'm pretty sure that meteors are represented multiple times in the event roller. However, they've got a few particulars that make me doubt the op's assessment. The types of meteor waves are Normal (weight of 4, latest 25 minutes), Threatening (weight of 5, latest 35 minutes) and Catastrophic (weight of 7, latest 45 minutes). Then you also you have Meateors which has only a weight of 2 but also limited to 25 minutes and is about as damaging as a normal meteor wave.

The comments on the event file seems to suggest that the higher the value, the higher the probability of an event rolling. Default is 10, so all of these events are significantly to mildly lower when event tallying occurs to determine what events get added to the schedule. Since these events aren't going to be seen prior to 25 minutes minimum, or 45 minutes for catastrophic (the one mentioned in the op), they're probably a consequence of rounds just going on for a while.

Alternatively maybe there is some config stuff overriding these values or dynamic is fiddling with events, but I'd think mothblocks is the bug to bother for that.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #633416

Alternatively maybe there is some config stuff overriding these values or dynamic is fiddling with events, but I'd think mothblocks is the bug to bother for that.
neither of these are the case, no
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #633418

I wonder if op is actually complaining about catastrophic meteors the event, or just meteors as a concept
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #633444

The same complaint can be made about all but the most milquetoast meteor variants, it's just most visible in catastrophic. Once a tunguska meteor flies down a hallway deleting a line of floors and exploding several times you have a single point of damage to point at and say "that hole led to the shuttle call", unlike lesser meteor variants where the problem is the number of smaller breaches venting basically every exterior room of the station.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #633633

iamgoofball wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:45 am The point of the meteors event is to either get engineers to WE BUILD(very rare) or end the round.
It doesn't matter how competent engineers are, most of the time they are never given a chance to do anything. I rather see ninja or space dragon roll before meteors because at lest a player gets to have fun greifing the station.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #633710

While it's true that meteors have less weight than the average event, they are rolled side by side with each other. This means that, once catastrophic meteors are unlocked at the 45 minute mark, they have a collective weight of 18. In relation to a single other "default" event you have about a 65% chance of it rolling meteors.

I don't know how many possible events there are but I imagine that if we had 10 other "default" events running side by side and they were all eligible then meteors would have a 15% chance of activating on a single given roll. With 20 possible, this goes down to a 8% chance of any meteor event rolling. This is on a single roll.

If we were to do these 10/20 assumptions (again, no clue how much weight is being put into the system) but we roll multiple times, then the chances start to add up. You should see a random event every 15-20 minutes or so, which ranges from space vines to the cow of wisdom. By the 1 hour 30 minutes mark meteors have been rolling in full force for 45 minutes. Go to the 2 hour mark and it's been rolling for 1 hour 15 minutes. You should expect three rolls by 1 hour 40 minutes, and five rolls by 2 hours 10 minutes.
► Show Spoiler
You can see the point I'm getting at. I'm going to make a gracious assumption and assume that there's about a collective weight of 300 in the system (about 28 other default events running at the same time) and that by the 1 and a half hour mark we should have been rolling ALL of the meteor events for about 45 minutes, which should be about 2-3 random event rolls where all meteor events can roll (let's assume 3).
► Show Spoiler
Again, I have no clue what the actual total weight of the events is. I would love for someone to chime in with actual hard numbers (both how many times meteors have rolled in rounds and the total weight of all possible random events). But you can see the point I'm getting at.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)