Why are things so annoying to break into

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Why are things so annoying to break into

Post by Pandarsenic » #634917

Randomized wires between departments means "test by hand, get shocked once or twice and you're set" is no longer viable for long-distance B&E travel (e.g. when the AI is rogue) - only practicably solvable by getting Insulated Gloves or "acquiring" the Engineering Skillchips

Reinforced Windows are stupidly strong. For single-facing R-glass, some counts of how much you have to hit them are:

Code: Select all

Toolbox (real)		32

Circular Saw		25
Surgical Drill		25

Laser Scalpel		24
Laser ScalSaw		23

Spear (Wield)		21
Spear (Throw)		18

Lasers			4

Insufficient Force	Scalpel, Oxygen Tanks, Fire Extinguisher, etc.

(To break a full window, attack either 2x or 2x-1 times from listed, e.g. 50 circular saw swings but 7 laser shots)
29 Laser Shots to break a reinforced windoor. 19 laser shots to open a locker. 30 laser shots to destroy an airlock.

50 fucking swings of a Circular Saw to destroy a full-tile R-glass window!

Similarly, deconstructing reinforced glass was made into a tedious, drawn-out process.

Why exactly is it necessary that the station be so... durable? What was it meant to accomplish, and does it do it successfully?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Why are things so annoying to break into

Post by Stickymayhem » #634922

The failure to hold back the greytide resulted in code changes. People couldn't be trusted with freedom so freedom was taken away.

Failures of administration lead to failures from coderbus
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #634923

Crew nerfs while antags stayed the same
► Show Spoiler
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #634924

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:57 am Randomized wires between departments means "test by hand, get shocked once or twice and you're set" is no longer viable for long-distance B&E travel (e.g. when the AI is rogue) - only practicably solvable by getting Insulated Gloves or "acquiring" the Engineering Skillchips

Reinforced Windows are stupidly strong. For single-facing R-glass, some counts of how much you have to hit them are:

Code: Select all

Toolbox (real)		32

Circular Saw		25
Surgical Drill		25

Laser Scalpel		24
Laser ScalSaw		23

Spear (Wield)		21
Spear (Throw)		18

Lasers			4

Insufficient Force	Scalpel, Oxygen Tanks, Fire Extinguisher, etc.

(To break a full window, attack either 2x or 2x-1 times from listed, e.g. 50 circular saw swings but 7 laser shots)
29 Laser Shots to break a reinforced windoor. 19 laser shots to open a locker. 30 laser shots to destroy an airlock.

50 fucking swings of a Circular Saw to destroy a full-tile R-glass window!

Similarly, deconstructing reinforced glass was made into a tedious, drawn-out process.

Why exactly is it necessary that the station be so... durable? What was it meant to accomplish, and does it do it successfully?
yeah these are all deliberate changes to make it harder for shitheads to run all over the station breaking things, and encourage people to seek out access/tailgate instead of going thru the windows/ otherwise smashing the place up
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #634926

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/45609
The "why is it good for the game" section here explains everything about the window change nicely.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/52563
This is the airlock wire change. Before this people would often share the color of the "gamer wire" over comms near roundstart, effectively causing everyone and their mother to be able to open any airlock with next to no effort.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #634928

i think things can be afforded a quicker deconstruction (takes ages to decon r-windows) but overall I think the durability of things is fine. however i do think shooting airlocks with lasers should only take no less than two full laser guns to destroy them.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #634933

Because people were tired of every caveman with an oxygen tank being able to destroy half the station with little to no effort.
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #634947

FWIW I believe actioninja told me they made r-windows far more powerful than they needed to be, because otherwise if they weren't powerful enough you'd just need to make more and more controversial change PRs.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #634948

killing some shithead breaking into your department for no reason and throwing the lifeless body out into the hallway to see if a doctor is feeling generous doesn't fly anymore and will instead result in you spending 30 minutes explaining to an admin how tired you were of the same shithead doing it all the time, so naturally people stopped doing that and oh wonder oh wonder people keep breaking into places but the people who are there by design and reason still don't like it so these things happened
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634952

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:41 pm FWIW I believe actioninja told me they made r-windows far more powerful than they needed to be, because otherwise if they weren't powerful enough you'd just need to make more and more controversial change PRs.
Please, I beg, dial it back at least a little on a trial basis + set faster times in the deconstruction actions and lower RCD costs to tear them down, so if you come prepared breaking through the window is a serious option that's not obviously less efficient compared to breaking through WALLS.

It should not be so much faster to tear the adjacent wall down compared to the windows. The fire axe should not be the only thing capable of making R-glass faster to clear than a literal 4-metal wall.

And if I can recommend, wires should at least display WHICH wire set they're on in the hacking panel so I can know when I've changed between maintenance, engineering, command, etc., configurations.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #634955

And if I can recommend, wires should at least display WHICH wire set they're on in the hacking panel so I can know when I've changed between maintenance, engineering, command, etc., configurations.
They do? I'm confused, it says at the top.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #634965

Alternate solution: have less reinforced windows, replace them with normal ones. Restrict them to areas with command access

But yeah, probably too strong. It bugs me.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #634969

normal glass windows are so hilariously weak that they're never used ever because just having iron rods in hand can break em

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #634973

DeltaStation has 0 normal windows.

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634975

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:17 pm
They do? I'm confused, it says at the top.
I... huh. I think I always missed it, even while specifically looking for it, because it's on the striped background.

... Is there any chance we could get a "wire memorization" feature that lets you fill in what a wire does (or you think it does) for a specific type of airlock? Like a manual version of fucking around with the blueprints or the Engineering skillchip.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #634989

iwishforducks wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:32 pm normal glass windows are so hilariously weak that they're never used ever because just having iron rods in hand can break em
give them the strength of old reinforced windows and use them in low security areas to make it easier to break in : )
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #634994

Experimenting with a revert would be nice. Reinforced windows being removed by screwdriver-crowbar-screwdriver. That way even if they're physically strong, they can be moved. And after the person is finished breaking in and security arrests them, the people working in said department can put the window back in place with a screwdriver and crowbar.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634995

Even if not just 1-2-1 back to back, at least not 39-50 seconds of 5 tools with no repetitions, including a fuckin' 18-second weld to start.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #635004

iwishforducks wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:32 pm normal glass windows are so hilariously weak that they're never used ever because just having iron rods in hand can break em
people being able to break into places / places breaking open as collateral when shit is going down is absolutely a-ok
only external, security, engineering/atmos and command windows should be reinforced
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #635006

You are all complete idiots if you think reverting these changes is a good idea lol

We should make walls harder to breach instead
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #635011

i agree that walls should take like two seconds longer but r-windows are so unbelievably robust. the only thing stopping r-window spam in departures being absolutely fucking game breaking is the fact that the fire axe exists

Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #635013

iamgoofball wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:52 am You are all complete idiots if you think reverting these changes is a good idea lol

Why?
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #635037

Breaking in now requires a touch more preparation for an under-equipped player. It is now slightly longer for an under-prepared player.
God I still can't believe a change to make having gloves EVEN MORE POWERFUL happened. When was the fat fingers insulated gloves nerf added?

Re: Normal Windows, I was going to say some buffs to the grilles under them as the thing that's actually supposed to stop people might not be amiss, but then I remember grilles got buffed against kicking and other direct force, too.

Honestly, normal windows with grilles probably are nearly comparable to old RWindows with that factored in.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #635079

I really really hated that windows got so much stronger when this was first added, but I think I have come around to it a bit. I do think it's a bit much. At the very least the welder step of deconstructing an r-window should be removed.
Past that bare minimum change, I think r-windows could stand to take maybe a small nerf to health so that toolboxes can get through in say, 25 hits instead of 32. It's important to make it not too easy to get in but it's also important to not make the game boring, and standing perfectly still for 18 seconds while you weld a window or standing perfectly still while you bash a window for 45 consecutive seconds by spamming M1 is very, very boring.
iamgoofball wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:52 am You are all complete idiots if you think reverting these changes is a good idea lol

"Hurr hurr you are all compleeeete idiots if pffbbbtbbttthhh" shut up. If your epic argument is that "you are an idiot lol!" then behold my epic argument that blows yours the fuck out by the same logic: you are a dumb fucking stupid idiot babybrained tiny-wiener pisshead shit eating fart sucking dick licker who can munch on my asshair.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #635080

The easiest way to break into places now is to just deconstruct the wall with a welder. Even though that makes no sense and deconstructing walls should be the hardest thing to do. Wall buff soon probably
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #635087

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:09 am
"Hurr hurr you are all compleeeete idiots if pffbbbtbbttthhh" shut up. If your epic argument is that "you are an idiot lol!" then behold my epic argument that blows yours the fuck out by the same logic: you are a dumb fucking stupid idiot babybrained tiny-wiener pisshead shit eating fart sucking dick licker who can munch on my asshair.
this guy gets it

but also:

our fucking greytide problem is ten times worse than when the window change was made i dont think you guys thought this through if you think this is a good idea
every window on the station will be smashed and airlocks will go completely unused within 15 minutes of the round starting
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #635092

iamgoofball wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:44 am

our fucking greytide problem is ten times worse than when the window change was made i dont think you guys thought this through if you think this is a good idea
every window on the station will be smashed and airlocks will go completely unused within 15 minutes of the round starting
if people smash windows for no reason simply smash their body in retaliation
the game was better when people handled their own problems and shitters got shat on
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #635094

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:29 pm i agree that walls should take like two seconds longer but r-windows are so unbelievably robust. the only thing stopping r-window spam in departures being absolutely fucking game breaking is the fact that the fire axe exists
I cant believe I never realized how easy it was to hijack if I steal all the fire-axes first
► Show Spoiler
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #635097

terranaut wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:41 am

the game was better when people handled their own problems and shitters got shat on
the shitters are smashing the windows because they want to fight you, they're there for a fight and are far more equipped and prepared for a fight than the person who just stumbled out of their department because a greyshit destroyed their windows
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #635103

iamgoofball wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:15 am

the shitters are smashing the windows because they want to fight you, they're there for a fight and are far more equipped and prepared for a fight than the person who just stumbled out of their department because a greyshit destroyed their windows
now imagine not every piece of gear in existence had been nerfed into utter uselessness and you could just walk up to him, flash/stunglove/chloral hydrate/x him and beat him to death without having to worry about him winning the war of attrition or having that one broken meme thing that kills you which you allowed him to do because muh escalation despite him just being a griefing shithead
back in my day:tm: people never ever ran around with a fireaxe just smashing windows for fun because everybody knew all it'd do is earn you a one way ticket to deep space
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #635105

terranaut wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:50 am
iamgoofball wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:15 am

now imagine not every piece of gear in existence had been nerfed into utter uselessness and you could just walk up to him, flash/stunglove/chloral hydrate/x him and beat him to death without having to worry about him winning the war of attrition or having that one broken meme thing that kills you which you allowed him to do because muh escalation despite him just being a griefing shithead
back in my day:tm: people never ever ran around with a fireaxe just smashing windows for fun because everybody knew all it'd do is earn you a one way ticket to deep space
Straight-up this, without a hint of irony

A bunch of fucking grayshits were rampaging in medical while I was a chemist and I was like "Okay, fuck it, I'll make some chloral and EXILE them with a syringe gun"

But now chloral hydrate is a huge pain to make, especially in quantity, with a super narrow optimal pH, high purity requirements, and a minuscule output of 1u Chloral Hydrate per 5u of chems in.

But god forbid one of the assistants shoves you into a wall or another assistant and someone present knows the timing for the permanent chainstun, or they just mob you.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #635264

Reminder that a lot of the issues with reinforced windows are surprisingly a spriting issue. Plasma windows just look like ass so no mapper wants to reinforce high-security areas with them.
am gud enineering
scrungo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #635265

>back in my day:tm: people never ever ran around with a fireaxe just smashing windows for fun

People definitely did, and I remember Ikarrus adminPMing me about it once when I was doing it on the shuttle, which pissed me off because most admins wouldn't have made it into an OOC issue. I think it'd depend on the admins online whether you could crit somebody for breaking windows back then without getting in trouble.

>Plasma windows just look like ass so no mapper wants to reinforce high-security areas with them.

They look fine by themselves, maybe the issue is just that they clash with everything else? It just seems like a taboo that needs to be broken. I remember wanting to separate Xenobiology maint from Xenobiology on BoxStation using plasma glass and there being this arbitrary resistance in the comments on that PR because it wasn't what people were used to. Then awhile later I noticed plasma glass newly being used to separate the little space hole behind the toxins mixing chamber from maintenance on either Meta or Delta.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #635287

cacogen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:47 am >back in my day:tm: people never ever ran around with a fireaxe just smashing windows for fun

People definitely did, and I remember Ikarrus adminPMing me about it once when I was doing it on the shuttle, which pissed me off because most admins wouldn't have made it into an OOC issue. I think it'd depend on the admins online whether you could crit somebody for breaking windows back then without getting in trouble.
we are talking about different time periods.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #635291

That probably happened in 2013