Make engine failure Dangerous

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Make engine failure Dangerous

Post by Pandarsenic » #636070

It doesn't have to be the singularity

It doesn't even have to be Tesloose

But supermatter delamination is so weak that the only real threats from it are the loss of power and maybe a hull breach that reaches outside of the walls of Engineering.

I genuinely don't really know what happens if you don't bother getting in a locker because sometimes I fail to get into one in time but I've never suffered any apparent penalty for this.

"The actual delamination" should not be the least dangerous part of delamination compared to the preceding anomalies and the following setup of a new engine chamber.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Make engine failure Dangerous

Post by BeeSting12 » #636072

Maybe we can go a step further with the anomalies and cause anomalies to spawn more frequently throughout the station for the next say, five minutes after the engine delams with about 50% of the anomalies spawning simultaneously at the time of delamination. The rest spawn over the course of the next five minutes. This will cause more people to care about fixing the engine prior to it blowing up as it has a more immediate effect on their workplace while also giving more disadvantages and advantages to antagonists blowing up the engine. Damage will be more widespread, but the damage could also affect you detrimentally if you're in the wrong place/wrong time.

This also gives a more unpredictable path of damage for an engine failure unlike the tesla/singularity which almost always killed the AI first and then possibly screwed the station too. The only downside I can see from this is that it would increase the chances of an immediate shuttle call when the damage is reparable, but compared to what happened with a singularity or tesla this is pretty tame, and the number of anomalies can be balanced depending on how it goes.

Also - isn't it possible for the SM to produce a singularity if it's delammed with the right gases or am I tripping?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #636073

BeeSting12 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:53 pm Also - isn't it possible for the SM to produce a singularity if it's delammed with the right gases or am I tripping?
Singulo delam is easy to do, just need 12000 mols of gas on the SM. The reason this doesnt happen constantly is that the delam is slow and super easy to fix and will only happen with someone intentionally delamming it and babysitting it for 10 minutes as it ticks down into a singulo.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #636080

Maybe all connected APCs and SMS should have a chance of exploding?
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #636086

BeeSting12 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:53 pm Maybe we can go a step further with the anomalies and cause anomalies to spawn more frequently throughout the station for the next say, five minutes after the engine delams with about 50% of the anomalies spawning simultaneously at the time of delamination. The rest spawn over the course of the next five minutes. This will cause more people to care about fixing the engine prior to it blowing up as it has a more immediate effect on their workplace while also giving more disadvantages and advantages to antagonists blowing up the engine. Damage will be more widespread, but the damage could also affect you detrimentally if you're in the wrong place/wrong time.

This also gives a more unpredictable path of damage for an engine failure unlike the tesla/singularity which almost always killed the AI first and then possibly screwed the station too. The only downside I can see from this is that it would increase the chances of an immediate shuttle call when the damage is reparable, but compared to what happened with a singularity or tesla this is pretty tame, and the number of anomalies can be balanced depending on how it goes.
This seems like a sensible approach, with counterable effects by neutralising anomalies in your department.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636093

BeeSting12 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:53 pm Also - isn't it possible for the SM to produce a singularity if it's delammed with the right gases or am I tripping?
Yes, but in practice it requires some serious Trickery. The main method I know is cramming the requisite gas quantity in air mix into a tiny chamber with an injector and using a passive vent to move that hyperpressure air mix into a T2 canister (letting it run while you set up the rest, especially if you need to order a shard). You use Atmos HoloFans to create a 1x2 space containing your Funny Yellow Rock and the canister; weld the canister to release your absurd quantity of air mix into the tiny space, then shoot the crystal (probably with a 9'm) to delaminate it with minimal notice.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #636111

We should definitely add a way to sabotage the SM's comms abilities (the way it screams over engineering radio that it's being sabotaged) so that you can do it quietly. Make a radio relay machine in the room that you need to depower or blow up or something. The more dangerous delams (singulo, tesla) would be a lot more common if it didn't require literally ten minutes of uninterrupted robotic "HELP HELP HELP IM BEING SABOTAGED AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AI TELL EVERYONE TO FIX ME NOW NOW NOW"
Sabotaging comms already draws shitloads of attention so it should really be separate from that entirely.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636115

PKPenguin321 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:18 am We should definitely add a way to sabotage the SM's comms abilities (the way it screams over engineering radio that it's being sabotaged) so that you can do it quietly. Make a radio relay machine in the room that you need to depower or blow up or something. The more dangerous delams (singulo, tesla) would be a lot more common if it didn't require literally ten minutes of uninterrupted robotic "HELP HELP HELP IM BEING SABOTAGED AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AI TELL EVERYONE TO FIX ME NOW NOW NOW"
Sabotaging comms already draws shitloads of attention so it should really be separate from that entirely.
Also true. Hell, it could even just be an Intercomm in the engine room, like the way that Toxins has the BE NOT AFRAID intercomm on their devices.

Part of the danger of Lord Singuloth was that Engineers had to actually go back and check on it periodically. Even if SMs can delaminate under active, armed sabotage MUCH faster than a singularity could gain energy to break loose without just breaking the containment field... sabotage is so impossible to miss with the increasingly intrusive alarms that there's virtually no excuse for getting caught off guard by it.

(The thing about a delamination causing anomalies to break out all over the station could be pretty rad, especially if it causes the occasional pyroclastic for some invasive sentient slime assholery)
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #637689

I've considered setting up an anomaly farm in the SM, but i'm not sure how feasible keeping it in a state where it generates them would be. It would at the very least be extrelely funny.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #638373

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/65959

My initial assessment from seeing it in action: Exceedingly based
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #638374

The 30 flux anomalies blowing the station to swiss cheese at the same time is very destructive but a lot more "rocks fall everyone dies" than a singulo spawning was.
Weston Echard on Sybil
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #638376

On the one hand, it may be a bit too much. (Kilo was completely eviscerated)

On the other hand, it's absolutely based. I love the delayed booms that happen as a result of the SM going down. Maybe tone it down like, 20-30 percent on Kilo specifically?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #638407

I experienced that beautiful flux wave anomaly chain of explosions one round and because I wasn't caught in any of the blasts (RIP Reiza Nak) and was able to get to a space suit before the many holes to space decided to actually start sucking air out I would say this is a positive change that creates a tonne of chaos at the expense of utterly fucking the station. Was it a dumb, shortsighted change? In all likelihood, yes.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #638410

In THEORY, if people respond quickly/have researched Anomaly Neutralizers, you can mitigate the damage in a way you never could with Singuloose.

In practice, average robustness levels are pretty low so we'll see if people Get Good or if they just beg for a nerf
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #638480

cheese skeletons........................
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #638482

on a serious note, we already did this with the singuloose and teslaloose engines. we've come full circle with spawning anomalies all over the station except this time it's 100000x lamer
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #638488

perhaps more sparing, varied anomalies, and more hallucinations?
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #638510

I love it. Unironically keep it this way just so the CE is forced to teach newbie engies more often. I don't MIND doing it myself (in fact i really enjoy it), but since i constantly forget either that one pump between the thermomachines or setting SMES i'm probably not the best pick.
If it's reverted i DEMAND the ability to turn off the SM's comms ability so i can singuloose without killing/brainwashing the entire engineering department and subverting AI first