Remove the spare safe and acting cap change

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Remove the spare safe and acting cap change

Post by wesoda25 » #640273

Basically, I think those changes were overkill and have created an unhealthy dynamic.

I think they were overkill because an AA leak is not the wildfire it used to be. Someone stealing the spare is much, much less of a deal as it was when everyone could carry an AA ID around.

I believe the unhealthy dynamic is that of mechanically selected acting cap. Personally I believe it is much more interesting for crew to decide themselves who the acting cap is than for a system to do it itself. I think the mechanic deprives RP potential, as in most situations - from what I've observed - the matter is automatically resolved and most people just accept that person as acting cap. I also think this causes some of the complaints with antag acting caps being too powerful. When you allow people to decide themselves, there will be disagreements, and I think that's more interesting gameplay.

Thoughts?
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Remove the spare safe and acting cap change

Post by Shadowflame909 » #640277

Agreed. It softlocks RP and gives more authority to players that can spawn in subverted
► Show Spoiler
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #640291

Hmm, how do you envisage this working?

In my experience on the lower pop stations that tend to lack command/acting captain right now the spare ID has a pretty good habbit of going to the first tider to breach the bridge and hit up the comms console, though I do have to educate people about this lesser known mechanic from time to time. A lot of the time the actual people who "do the jobs" and run the station are busier doing their jobs than caring to shift start tide a uniquely powerful item. At higher pops this might result in some kinda blood bath, with no-one being particularly in the right or wrong in their claim to power? Unless we're implementing a mechanical solution for voting or something (?). Ultimately the gold ID is a very important resource for running the station too, particularly on lower population, in terms of game flow its much more useful that someone has access to the engine room and stuff without having to hack into everything to set up power, and i'd much rather (as an admin) see the gold ID go to someone who will take some level of care of the station, ensure things are running, consider calling the shuttle, than upgrading some spear wielding greytider to having captains gloves and laser guns round start and still doing nothing of value (probably hugely valid hunting, what else do people do once they've stolen all their gamer gear and are far more armed than their opponents?)

I'm not sure something that will be resolved at round start before any antag related information is remotely available to the crew will resolve in an "interesting" way ; there's no way to make an informed decision at this point (other than basically popularity contest / metafriending) so it'll be whoever is loudest or most forceful or just outright most violent (or sec will claim its their right as the only trustable party and perhaps enforce this).

Or the flip case where no-one wants to do it (cries of pain from command occasionally happens at round start when they realise they got two job).

I also think the issue with antag acting captains isn't one of access as much as authorisation ; inspite of the number of changes to windows, door wires and whatever else it's pretty trivial to break into any area on the station, to the point that its often faster to just break in than even ask the AI to open the door, the issue is more that the captain can go anywhere, and you dont really get to demand of them 'why are you here and what are you doing exactly', the captain can go anywhere and do anything and the only person who can reasonably hold them accountable is the HOS, moving against the captain is a much bigger step to take than moving against a normal crew member. The captain can walk into upload and zero effort subvert every silicon on the station at any time and generally this is considered a captain's right. Can walk into armoury and walk out with whatever they like, no-one has the authority to challenge them over this.

Maybe there isn't even anything mechanical in all this, it's just the nature of the position its self, and it also really trivialises the work and risk of any antag.

Also democracy blows and tends to make poor choices, and while thats perhaps intended in your design but I would imagine the metacliques of tiders being able to dominate here, through democracy or force, while currently at least it goes to someone who picks command and thus has some intention of playing that sort of role.

What about command role bans? Just administrative policy to tell people they're not permitted to apply / obtain the card? Or does acting captain have lesser standards than people rolling head of staff?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #640297

this makes me wish captain overflow was a thing so we could test out this theory
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #640309

It is
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #640311

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:09 pm this makes me wish captain overflow was a thing so we could test out this theory
It is, i made it so
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #640312

You could have every head of staff start with a code for the safe, and no-one made acting cap. That way there's still rp between heads but the spare isnt going to the tide
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #640313

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the spare going to the tide or a quick-thinking antagonist because the bureaucratic heads of staff were too busy twiddling thumbs. It is both thematic and good for gameplay if it doesn't happen all the time.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #640324

The AA rush speedrunners were some of the most obnoxious and annoying players we had. That's pretty much what an open AA card enabled. Whatever prevents those idiots from doing their shit is a positive for the games health and especially command/security sanity.

If you want to topple authority, do it the old fashioned way. You can't possibly tell me that someone getting that AA currently is anything more than turning themselves into a target for security due to the general risk they pose, and ostensibly just making the conflict of the round all about them. Since this wasn't something done exclusively by antagonists, it was more or less an opportunity for players to act out without the big bad grief role.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #640340

i think the access changes in general were complete overkill

i miss the times where i got to yell at a hop for leaving their computer logged in. now they can leave their computer logged in... and what? some tider is going to get engineering access? lol. lmao, even.

i do agree that AA leaking was annoying though. but it's about time we made it so cards can carry more wildcards, and at the very least allow normal cards to be head cards/stock HoP offices with silver cards (only meta/delta has spare silvers!)
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #640342

Hear me out, what if we just... didn't have a spare ID at all?
Why is it necessary?
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #640343

WineAllWine wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:12 pm You could have every head of staff start with a code for the safe, and no-one made acting cap. That way there's still rp between heads but the spare isnt going to the tide
This is a good idea that might address some of iains (valid) concerns.
[this space reserved]
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #640345

datorangebottle wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:06 pm Hear me out, what if we just... didn't have a spare ID at all?
Why is it necessary?
1. It spreading and causing chaos (though not everyone-has-AA-chaos that it was before) is fun
2. Rounds without head of staff need someone to call the shuttle
3. Rounds without a captain or HoP should have someone be able to promote
4. Having a traitor with AA can be fun if the person isn't boring/the objectives aren't guiding them down a boring path
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #640348

iwishforducks wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:48 pm i think the access changes in general were complete overkill

i miss the times where i got to yell at a hop for leaving their computer logged in. now they can leave their computer logged in... and what? some tider is going to get engineering access? lol. lmao, even.

i do agree that AA leaking was annoying though. but it's about time we made it so cards can carry more wildcards, and at the very least allow normal cards to be head cards/stock HoP offices with silver cards (only meta/delta has spare silvers!)
I think the Captain has the only spare silvers on the other maps?

I also have some opinions on the too-low Wildcard Access count, especially for Agent IDs.

But in terms of the safe itself, it's far too secure and the station needs fewer padded walls.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #640376

When the computer is logged in I take a paramedic ID and get essentially all access

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #640377

True Gamers know that Paramedic is common ID allaccess and HOP is Silver ID allaccess

Honestly, also outside of topic scope, but I don't feel like I've been super impressed with how Trim IDs (or whatever that ID rework is called) has turned out long-term.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #640565

What if we just bwoinked people who's only gimmick as a tider was to steal AA round start? Once in a while is ok but every round i would personally slap them.