are you guys trolling?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

are you guys trolling?

Post by massa » #641572

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/66927
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/66926
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/67181

this is stupid. everyone is over this stuff and it's not just goof, his are just by far and above the worst. stop deleting things (entire antags at a time) and making things inaccessible, more difficult and more awful fnr. this game is supposed to be fun with great room for creativity, not for weirdos to force me to bar rp.

but this can't be trolling because it's all been coded and actually done?
Last edited by massa on Sun May 22, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: are you guys trolling?

Post by sinfulbliss » #641584

I think if it's not game-breaking or so good as to be abused every round, it doesn't need to be removed.

No one is going to hug 10 animals roundstart to powergame a moodboost. On the offchance someone does, that's funny and no one cares. It affects almost nothing except that person's enjoyment.
Spoiler:
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #641586

anyone who knows about mood is abusing holopets this one is valid lol i have gotten positive mood as a hulk by using this
Weston Echard on Sybil
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #641587

blackdav123 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:59 pm anyone who knows about mood is abusing holopets this one is valid lol i have gotten positive mood as a hulk by using this
I don't do this because I'm not a bug abuser.
Just sit under a shower for a second and don't let yourself get hungry, you'll be fine.
sinfulbliss wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:51 pm It affects almost nothing except that person's enjoyment.
I think it mostly just makes the coders angry because people are bypassing their carefully crafted systems.

Also the silver slime and belt changes make perfect sense, and the batong has been too powerful for a while and has already been discussed to death and I don't want to get into it again.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #641590

In every game ever the players find optimal ways to take advantage of the system. It only needs intervention from the coders (in nerfs and balance-changes) if it completely takes over the meta and breaks the mechanic entirely. I've known about mood for years but it never occurred to me to hug all the holodeck animals, and I won't do it even now that I know about it because that's just too extra for what can be done in a quick shower and eating food.

For instance the double-baton tech - that broke the stun meta very badly and deserved to be removed. Autorifles in retrospect arguably also broke the ranged weapon meta, since you could store hundreds of shots in a box and never need to recharge.

Bats no longer hardstunning and being inescapable was a good balance change, because it completely broke melee combat in many situations.

But there are lots of other changes which nerfed something that never really broke anything to begin with. Cap modsuit having lower armor than a vest - the captain being heavily armed and EVA-proof, with a slowdown, is not game-breaking in the slightest. Same goes for HoS. Slowdown is a big tradeoff for armor and this was unnecessary.

IDs only being able to have two extra pieces of access added to them, indirectly rendering agent IDs useless. Although global AA was broken, this is an over-correction by any measure.

Insulated gloves not being able to shoot guns. It wasn't an issue that insuls were a "hard upgrade" from normal gloves, because normal gloves had no mechanic to begin with. Being able to hack and fire guns without taking your gloves off first isn't game-breaking, it's just something that makes things less tedious.

Hooch no longer healing assistants. It was justified with "assistants shouldn't have advantages over other jobs." But if you actually look at the gameplay, it caused no problem, it didn't allow assistants any powergaming wombo combos, it just provided a slow but convenient heal without using medikits.

I could go on, but many of these bad nerfs and balance changes simply add tedium which experienced players will quickly adapt to and add to their repertoire. Keep insuls in your toolbelt from now on, quick swap to hack. Make some quick healing meds instead of trolling maint for hooch. Loot corpse IDs or create multiple for ghetto AA. Get pressure adaptation and drink coffee to keep your armor in space. Players will continue to find workarounds, whether or not they are tedious, and coders haven't done a great job in deciding what's really in need of a balance change IMO. Tedium is not fun and restricted player agency for balance reasons, if that agency doesn't actually break anything, harms the game.
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #641592

It really isn't a bug. It's an intended feature. I was told as much when moodlets was much much more annoying. Think space drug effects for focusing on your job and not doing the mood tasks

It's a revert back to that and you quickly realize there are little ways to get a positive moodlets without it being a literal task list
► Show Spoiler
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #641625

The game isn't going to be ruined from PRs that remove controversial content. Things change, and so should you.
massa

Post by massa » #641628

Turbonerd wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 am The game isn't going to be ruined from PRs that remove controversial content. Things change, and so should you.
????????????
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #641629

Turbonerd wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 am The game isn't going to be ruined from PRs that remove controversial content. Things change, and so should you.
Yeah im coping now

The proverbial wheel keeps getting reinvented.

At this point with all of these barriers to actually accessing job content (Power failure, moodlet management, hunger and satiety management) I'm wondering if job content is actually what maintainers want players to be doing.. Is it just background world-building for RP now? A space office setting?

Not fun at all.

I'm angry, upset and I feel like the gameplay direction has very recently gone out of whack. As the saying goes, too many cooks spoil the broth and I'm not sure what type of dish this game wants to be anymore.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #641636

Honestly, I'm just here being a Boomer yelling at the clouds about how back in my day we didn't have all these MECHANICS giving you chores and getting in the way of roleplay.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #641649

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:29 am Honestly, I'm just here being a Boomer yelling at the clouds about how back in my day we didn't have all these MECHANICS giving you chores and getting in the way of roleplay.
remember hygiene?
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #641661

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:33 pm Hooch no longer healing assistants. It was justified with "assistants shouldn't have advantages over other jobs." But if you actually look at the gameplay, it caused no problem, it didn't allow assistants any powergaming wombo combos, it just provided a slow but convenient heal without using medikits.

I could go on, but many of these bad nerfs and balance changes simply add tedium which experienced players will quickly adapt to and add to their repertoire. Keep insuls in your toolbelt from now on, quick swap to hack. Make some quick healing meds instead of trolling maint for hooch. Loot corpse IDs or create multiple for ghetto AA. Get pressure adaptation and drink coffee to keep your armor in space. Players will continue to find workarounds, whether or not they are tedious, and coders haven't done a great job in deciding what's really in need of a balance change IMO. Tedium is not fun and restricted player agency for balance reasons, if that agency doesn't actually break anything, harms the game.
I can't claim this goal applies to more people then me, but systems in the game should try to put you in the mind of your character, so both of you "want" the same thing at the same time.
Dying to a plasmafire is amazing rp, because neither component wants to die really. Etc. That's perhaps a bit offtopic tho.
I don't like it when people do things for meta reasons, smells funky. Maybe I'm just weird tho. I like corpse looting, or coffee stunts, or hell getting meds. Those results seem fine.
Balance is a meme anyway

Regardless of all that, it's hilarious to me that you'd bring up hooch, since your ban appeal was what spurred it being removed.
Most of this stuff gets removed because people are cringe with it, or it invalidates some system that's potentially interesting. Most

Also yes
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #641668

I'm trolling
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #641677

*links an exploit*
mods. this is removing fun.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #641693

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:44 am Regardless of all that, it's hilarious to me that you'd bring up hooch, since your ban appeal was what spurred it being removed.
[...]
Most of this stuff gets removed because people are cringe with it, or it invalidates some system that's potentially interesting. Most
Right, as well as spear crafting. But the reason I didn't bring up the spear crafting nerf is because the appeal video did show something that was arguably a balance issue - being able to craft multiple spears instantly and spam throw them at people. The hooch actually wasn't even used in the video to any real effect, I think I sipped it shortly before dying while running away.

Some assistant getting noted with hooch in their pocket doesn't mean hooch should be nerfed. Livrah doing a funny ling gimmick turning people into glass golems and breaking them doesn't mean there's a balance issue with lings. These are all just fun little things people find. Occasionally there's a few players that take interest in something and do it every round without fail, and get it nerfed, but the nerf should be more holistic than just looking at someone being cringe with it for a while.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #641694

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:21 am
Pandarsenic wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:29 am Honestly, I'm just here being a Boomer yelling at the clouds about how back in my day we didn't have all these MECHANICS giving you chores and getting in the way of roleplay.
remember hygiene?
Thankfully no, it was introduced and fucked off while I was on my long hiatus, but I hear it was genuinely awful
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
massa

Post by massa » #641706

these dudes just admitted to removing hooch out of spite because of a classic, soulful engineering scuffle. a single instance, all they do is whinge about "greys", just a little tussle. the kind that makes you nostalgic to think about in years time, and brings you back to the game

this sucks man take me back
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #641713

lemon wasn't involved in a single aspect of that pr
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #641722

datorangebottle wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:04 pm Also the silver slime ~context snip~ changes make perfect sense.
I can't really wade very much into it on my lack of git/server access, but it was perfectly fine for years if maybe filler content opposed to making it some sort of 'breakfast/cake' themed slime, but a viewpoint I take is hamfisted adjacency 'tweaks' is just backseat driving from not a viewpoint of player perspective convenience, as if the stereotypical xeno scientist is obliged to undergo a race-change to non roundstart slimeperson. The offered reason is a poorly visualised half rant about them stealing work from a unrelated department usually many rooms away.
► Show Spoiler

Spoiler:
massa

Post by massa » #641732

Fikou wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:22 am *links an exploit*
that was actually a copypaste mistake and i removed it from the op
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #641753

massa wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:53 pm these dudes just admitted to removing hooch out of spite because of a classic, soulful engineering scuffle. a single instance, all they do is whinge about "greys", just a little tussle. the kind that makes you nostalgic to think about in years time, and brings you back to the game

this sucks man take me back
I was honestly just spitballing my own opinions. I think the pr initially got made because goof saw the video, thought it was cringe, and took it as a chance to nerf assistants.
Then roh decided they didn't like giving assistants mechanical upside to being assistants, and it got merged.

That video's still moronic tho, local man is incapable of speaking words.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #641754

FantasticFwoosh wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:04 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:04 pm Also the silver slime ~context snip~ changes make perfect sense.
I can't really wade very much into it on my lack of git/server access, but it was perfectly fine for years if maybe filler content opposed to making it some sort of 'breakfast/cake' themed slime, but a viewpoint I take is hamfisted adjacency 'tweaks' is just backseat driving from not a viewpoint of player perspective convenience, as if the stereotypical xeno scientist is obliged to undergo a race-change to non roundstart slimeperson. The offered reason is a poorly visualised half rant about them stealing work from a unrelated department usually many rooms away.
► Show Spoiler
I wish xenobio stuff got moved over to other departments. But seeing how cytology is kind of RNGESUS HAVE MERCY i don't think it'll happen without whatever old-slime stuff your trying to get being way way way up the time-gated ceiling.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #641929

Imagine typing in a game about clicking
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #642209

massa wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:14 pm
Fikou wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:22 am *links an exploit*
that was actually a copypaste mistake and i removed it from the op
thanks babe :*
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #642223

we do a miniscule amount of trolling, I was thinking of removing the whetstone from chef because there is no reason they should have one...
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #642227

This hasn't even been implemented yet (it's still a draft) but it makes perfect sense, you shouldn't be able to stack belts in your backpack just to get free inventory space.
This is fine, it's another example of people whining because something they're used to having that's hilariously busted in practice is getting nerfed. Extended batons weren't even meant to be put in backpacks that I know of and stun batons are still quite powerful. What's the point in having them lose charge when they hit someone when you can just put a bunch in your backpack?

Something a lot of people are missing is that people are starting to kind of "solve" SS13 as a game. They're figuring out what is and isn't the objective best way to fight things, catch criminals, etc. This isn't inherently a bad thing, but SS13's not a combat simulator or a fighting game, it's a roleplaying game. We need to be making changes around that and not around peoples' mistaken perception of what the game is about.
Willard explained this better in the PR, tl;dr is that jobs shouldn't be doing other peoples' jobs for them.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642230

Vekter wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm
-snip-
This hasn't even been implemented yet (it's still a draft) but it makes perfect sense, you shouldn't be able to stack belts in your backpack just to get free inventory space.
-snip-
This is fine, it's another example of people whining because something they're used to having that's hilariously busted in practice is getting nerfed.
SS13's not a combat simulator or a fighting game, it's a roleplaying game.
-snip-
Willard explained this better in the PR, tl;dr is that jobs shouldn't be doing other peoples' jobs for them.

Vekter if you removed antags and random events from your equation everything you said would be perfect

But add them to the equation and you need people to do other peoples jobs for them. You need ways to fight and combat others, and you need to survive.

Its a survival sim at its core. Roleplay just adds a layer of depth to it.
► Show Spoiler
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #642232

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm Vekter if you removed antags and random events from your equation everything you said would be perfect

But add them to the equation and you need people to do other peoples jobs for them. You need ways to fight and combat others, and you need to survive.

if this game was a survival sim at it's core we wouldn't have rules explicitly stating that you die sometimes and that this is a roleplaying game
I hate people saying "BRO THIS IS A SURVIVAL GAME" or "BRO VALIDHUNTING IS LITERALLY WHAT I PLAY FOR"
you are playing a roleplaying game do not be shocked when people expect you to roleplay
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #642236

no its a game about surviving at all costs and the human will to triumph if u willingly allow yourself to die ur a cuck
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642237

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm
Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm Vekter if you removed antags and random events from your equation everything you said would be perfect

if this game was a survival sim at it's core we wouldn't have rules explicitly stating that you die sometimes and that this is a roleplaying game
I hate people saying "BRO THIS IS A SURVIVAL GAME" or "BRO VALIDHUNTING IS LITERALLY WHAT I PLAY FOR"
you are playing a roleplaying game do not be shocked when people expect you to roleplay
Thankfully you do not have to take my word alone for it.

We're having a very similar thread to one prior about nerfing the amount of manuel antag spawns. Here's what one of the current /tg/station design leads has to say about that.

RP is great and good. I enjoy when sec doesn't turn me horizontal and nor do the antags. But we need ways to mitigate when jobs fail. Like power from xenobio, botany, or maint power generators. Same for other healing methods when medical fails, and other eatery methods when cook fails.

Just as we need weapons and the ability to hide those weapons when sec fails. We can and DO rp around these failings. Thank you.
Attachments
yeah.jpg
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #642238

I don't think me and ODP disagree from the looks of it, FWIW. SS13 is a game about surviving in the sense that if you're only playing the game to do your job, then you're not creating an interesting story. Trying to survive is the means to creating interesting stories--that's also why I mention dying for the sake of the story in that post!

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #642262

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm Its a survival sim at its core. Roleplay just adds a layer of depth to it.
As someone who's been involved in this game since 2010, I can safely say you are incorrect. This is the hottest take I've read all week and it's equally wrong.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #642269

Vekter wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:39 pm Something a lot of people are missing is that people are starting to kind of "solve" SS13 as a game. They're figuring out what is and isn't the objective best way to fight things, catch criminals, etc. This isn't inherently a bad thing, but SS13's not a combat simulator or a fighting game, it's a roleplaying game. We need to be making changes around that and not around peoples' mistaken perception of what the game is about.
Do you seriously think that "a lot of people" don't know that there is a meta?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #642275

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 pm Do you seriously think that "a lot of people" don't know that there is a meta?
I mean, given how many people bitch incessantly when we change literally anything about combat, yes.
Spoiler:

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #642276

Vekter wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:13 pm
Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm Its a survival sim at its core. Roleplay just adds a layer of depth to it.
As someone who's been involved in this game since 2010, I can safely say you are incorrect. This is the hottest take I've read all week and it's equally wrong.
how have you been playing since 2010 and come to the conclusion that this game is about anything other than valids and loot, with a thin layer of "roleplay" (really just reacting in-character) stretched over the top? and this isn't even a bad thing. there's just always been this futile janny spin trying to obfuscate it.

and i would like it if it functioned more like mafia or among us but the way it's always been designed the person with the most mechanical mastery and best gamer gear will win, roleplay be damned. and obviously combat and roleplay are inherently at odds with each other, because you can't type while you're trying not to die
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #642285

what a shitty thread