Borg Law Update Notifications

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Borg Law Update Notifications

Post by Redrover1760 » #643621

When borgs get their laws changed at present, 5 little lines of text appear (That aren't really all that specially colored either) telling you your new laws in the bottom right corner of your screen. Now imagine you are busy trying to do something important or fufill law orders or something and your AI does not know what silicon comms work, god forbid you are in the middle of a tense fight or desperately racing to AI sat to defend your AI from an attacker.

You are going to miss it, you are going to get bwoinked for when you break your laws and funny minor notes for not noticing 5 lines of text. I got a note for missing these 5 lines of text, although the AI literally not talking until they cry out for help to defend AI sat from a monkey changeling or stating laws ever outside of Asimov shiftstart.

Sure, 80% of the time, an AI is at least going to you know, talk to the borgs about their laws... Or at least its 80% of the time to me (because I play AI much more than being a borg), because I always tell all my borgs that we have new laws in Binary chat to devise a plan to how to apply those new laws to the station's current circumstances and put a plan of action forth. In fact I tend to do that a lot regardless of a law change. But if you have no AI master or your AI is a mute creature, or if the law change is in the middle of a big firefight or something and/or AI is busy you will absolutely miss it and get bwoinked later for "Why are you not following your laws dumbass" (Big exaggeration of funny badmin btw) when you didn't even realize your laws changed or something.

There absolutely needs to be at minimum a very unique sound cue, kinda like a bwoink. Perhaps a long lasting bubble alert to not disrupt your fighting and combat by opening up a window in your face. Perhaps your Cyborg computer tablet thingy gets a unique sprite that flashes on a law change. Anything that can prevent shitty shit from happening. Maybe also make it so there so "NEW LAWS UPDATED" first line or whatever is in HUGE FONT and therefore much more eyecatching.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Borg Law Update Notifications

Post by Pandarsenic » #643643

+1 to this, I would love a sound for AI+borgs, bigger/flashier text, etc.

I have missed a TON of important law updates because it's so easy to miss.

It's even worse for borgs, who can't see their laws without opening RoboTact (that I am aware) with the loss of law-related verbs.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #643654

I'm pretty sure I legitimately would have to ahelp to figure out how to open my laws if I were in the unfortunate position of having to play borg.
Spoiler:
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #643666

I think the biggest issue in this regard is that it's VERY easy to miss it if chat is super active.

A popup is definitely the wrong way to go due to those occasional shifts where idiots change your laws 50 times during the shift, but SOMETHING needs to happen to where it's not just small lines of text in the chatbox.
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #643774

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:58 am I think the biggest issue in this regard is that it's VERY easy to miss it if chat is super active.

A popup is definitely the wrong way to go due to those occasional shifts where idiots change your laws 50 times during the shift, but SOMETHING needs to happen to where it's not just small lines of text in the chatbox.
That was what I was thinking. I've had AI rounds where my total law changes numbered around 120 or so.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #643942

I've been meaning to do this but I keep wasting my time making a visual effect I think is cool
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Kitfox
Byond Username: Kitfox88

Post by Kitfox » #645043

A soundbite alert would be nice for sure.