Fax machines!

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Fax machines!

Post by Kendrickorium » #650908

just code it so that the faxes are also sent to centcom.

then I promise I'll use it!
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Fax machines!

Post by san7890 » #650916

Managing to get a teleporter beacon inside of a fax machine, then sending it to the CentCom Armory Fax (holy crap this is so freaking epic)
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
CaptainKawoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #650984

If an admin wants to read and respond to faxes (or have an intern do it for them) all they need to do is spawn in a fax machine on centcom and use a multitool to rename it to centcom post office or something. It automatically shows up on all of the other fax machines. When you can fax to centcom there's a very high chance it will get a response, because an admin had to spawn the machine in so they probably intend to use it. If there is a centcom fax machine by default then the faxes will go by unnoticed most of the time and then people won't send faxes there as often anymore.
🏴‍☠️ Yarr... (Waitin' to be plundered?) Image
► Show Spoiler
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #650996

kawoppi wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:20 pm If an admin wants to read and respond to faxes (or have an intern do it for them) all they need to do is spawn in a fax machine on centcom and use a multitool to rename it to centcom post office or something. It automatically shows up on all of the other fax machines. When you can fax to centcom there's a very high chance it will get a response, because an admin had to spawn the machine in so they probably intend to use it. If there is a centcom fax machine by default then the faxes will go by unnoticed most of the time and then people won't send faxes there as often anymore.
make it announce to admin whenever there's a fax sent to centcom. It's like a prayer or cc message but (potentially) higher effort so there's more chance of a responce from an admin. Also centcom faxes are a necessity for lawyers so they can actually prosecute captain by calling a centcom officials.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #651135

Striders13 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:49 pm
kawoppi wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:20 pm If an admin wants to read and respond to faxes (or have an intern do it for them) all they need to do is spawn in a fax machine on centcom and use a multitool to rename it to centcom post office or something. It automatically shows up on all of the other fax machines. When you can fax to centcom there's a very high chance it will get a response, because an admin had to spawn the machine in so they probably intend to use it. If there is a centcom fax machine by default then the faxes will go by unnoticed most of the time and then people won't send faxes there as often anymore.
make it announce to admin whenever there's a fax sent to centcom. It's like a prayer or cc message but (potentially) higher effort so there's more chance of a responce from an admin. Also centcom faxes are a necessity for lawyers so they can actually prosecute captain by calling a centcom officials.
great idea. messages sent to centcom via comms and then getting whispers in your head feels kind of unpolished, and the fax machine is a great way to make it more tangible
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #651196

It would be nice (assuming there isn't one already) if there was a fax machine at CC by default. Just as long as it doesn't allow someone to use some janky method to break into CentCom.

But we all know they are going to find a way to do it anyways.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #651198

Some way of flagging a machine to notify admins on receipt of a fax would be a bonus for sure.

I think there shouldn't be one by default, because it just creates another black hole like prayers probably can be where you send them into the void and maybe there isn't an admin or maybe they're way too busy to deal with anything other than tickets, if they were only there if manually created then their presence on a fax machine network would have value. Or create a "on/off" button for fax machines and just have the CC default one toggled to off (and maybe raise an admin reminder 60 seconds after round start to consider turning it on?). I guess i like the idea that the presence of CC on a fax machine list means something rather than disillusioning people with regular no responses.

Also they can be created en mass for different CC departments if you really want to go to town.

Love the possibilities though, better ways of properly IC interacting with the world are good from my admin POV, and it's always felt limiting as a command player that only the captain can message CC.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #651259

I just think it's nice as a step up from praying "hello centcom please give stuff" without requiring the access needed for messages to CC
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #652425

On some codebases (Bay?) I know that you can fax CentCom from any head office with any head ID, and iirc CentCom could send faxes back?

I would l o v e if that got implemented/ported. It would rule.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #652453

I've done work on fax machines for a small downstream.

A more fun way to contact admins ICly than just shitty prayers.

We should do this. If only someone would code it.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #652459

i saw a round or two where admins spawned a fax machine at centcom in the room with the dead intern and it worked pretty well, all it really needs is some sort of notification for admins that a fax arrived
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
CaptainKawoppi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #652530

i'm pretty sure someone is working on coding it
saw a screenshot where you could fax centcom, the syndicate and even the wizard federation
► Show Spoiler
CaptainKawoppi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #652902

► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #652906

Probably shouldn't be able to send messages to the syndicate without an emag, maybe you could have the cult location revealed on twisted construction.
Also, kinda defeats some of the function of the comms console if any yokel can send a message to central.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #671515

I know I'm WAY too late on this, but honestly, what is the point of the fax machines? I don't know if everyone involved in making these forgot about request consoles or what happened there, every department and every Head of Staff's office has one of these, they can message each other and have emergency alerts/announcement functions.
So, what new things do faxes add?

This comment summs it up nicely:
https://github.com/BeeStation/NSV13/pul ... 1319188531

I have NEVER seen the faxes used, they are just bloat, adding a further way to communicate between departments (requests console) which no one does ever anyway since they have a radio.
So, again, what do they add apart from making one or two Manuel players happy that they too can finally have HRP tools which never find use?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #671529

Googles_Hands wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:05 pm -snip-
you can fax pictures of your ass to other departments

the main issue is that paperwork is always breaking so nobody bothers learning it
Weston Echard on Sybil
CaptainKawoppi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #671531

there’s stuff you can do with paper that you can’t do with pda messages or a radio, like signing and stamping before returning the fax. they don’t have anywhere near the utility of a radio and that’s okay. it’s just fun to put the papers inside and send them off.
► Show Spoiler