Reduce Midround Traitor

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Reduce Midround Traitor

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #653529

Right now, it seems midround traitor is basically a waste of threat and a waste of antag. Midround and latejoin tot can roll several times per round, but those tots almost never go on to do any actual antagonistic acts because they start very behind on objectives. I've seen latejoin traitors spawn when the shuttle was called, and essentially they can't do anything because there's no time left. I think using the threat and spawn on actual midround-friendly antags would prove to be better. Alternatively, use the threat to spawn more roundstart traitors instead.
Last edited by Indie-ana Jones on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Reduce Midround Traitor

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #653533

+1
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #653614

It wouldn't be as bad if they got their starting TC and rep accelerated based on how long the round has gone on. Possibly similar for Late Heretic Knowledge, etc.? Changeling genomes don't matter as much IMO and it would be weird to start with many for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately, right now, Traitor is typically what happens when better other antagonists cannot roll.

An alternative pressure release might be if, like when you hit the comms console, an inability to spawn Heavy threats causes spicy negative events instead of defaulting to "activate a traitor" at lower populations, low security counts, etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Doctor Ape
Byond Username: Doctorape

Post by Doctor Ape » #655154

+1 Suddenly becoming a traitor after you already started your crew gimmick can be fine, but it just happens too often.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #655184

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 am Right now, it seems midround traitor is basically a waste of threat and a waste of antag. Midround and latejoin tot can roll several times per round, but those tots almost never go on to do any actual antagonistic acts because they start very behind on objectives. I've seen latejoin traitors spawn when the shuttle was called, and essentially they can't do anything because there's no time left. I think using the threat and spawn on actual midround-friendly antags would prove to be better. Alternatively, use the threat to spawn more roundstart traitors instead.
yea mid round traitor accomplishes nothing & causes no damages to the station most of the time
instead spawn spiders every round with this threat
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #655186

Bring back Swarmers and spawn Swarmers instead

Nah but for real a different low-threat sink would be really nice instead of infinite Traitors.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #655199

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:46 am It wouldn't be as bad if they got their starting TC and rep accelerated based on how long the round has gone on.
Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure this is already the case. Would be nice if all midround tots started at 300 rep by default though.
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #655233

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:43 am Nah but for real a different low-threat sink would be really nice instead of infinite Traitors.
I'll admit on the downstream I usually play we just added a maximum cap on sleeper agents (based on population and threat roll) and it stops making them after that.

It would be great to have some alternate ways to burn threat when other things fail to roll than traitors but it's really hard to think what.
Best I've got is "put a ghost in one of the Giant Spiders which can't lay eggs", or a Megacarp, or some other simple mob... but that might be the opposite route in being a little boring and not very impactful.
Need to think up some kind of maintenance gremlin concept.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #655243

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:43 am Bring back Swarmers and spawn Swarmers instead

Nah but for real a different low-threat sink would be really nice instead of infinite Traitors.
We had that, it was called "thieves", a lot of people disliked it and called it a waste of threat
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #655244

I guess adding some low threat midrounds would also work to curb the issue, but making good ones might be tricky. If I were to suggest ideas myself, a reworked Morph and Rat King could both work.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #655250

mrmelbert wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:30 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:43 am Bring back Swarmers and spawn Swarmers instead

We had that, it was called "thieves", a lot of people disliked it and called it a waste of threat
If thieves had full antag freedoms and just no cool funny powers/gear, I don't think it would have been so bad? People were just always like "idk what I can actually do as a thief"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #655253

These are server configs under control of the admin team
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #655255

oranges wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:54 pm These are server configs under control of the admin team
oranges i need you to design a policy-proof antagonist
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #655267

Nobody is that smart
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #655294

oranges wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:31 pm Nobody is that smart
Just make everyone on the repo a maintainer and someone will eventually make one.
Like that saying about monkeys and Shakespeare or something idk I skipped English class