Give Progression Traitor Permanent Objectives, Bring Back the Greentext

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Alphanerdd
Byond Username: Alphanerdd

Give Progression Traitor Permanent Objectives, Bring Back the Greentext

Post by Alphanerdd » #654030

I recently rolled midround obsessed which still has the "old" style of objectives. Permanent objectives you get at round start (or when you become the antag) and show up at the end of round report. Complete all of your objectives and you get the greentext.

With all the changes over the last year it had been a while since I played an antag with the old objectives, and I honestly forgot how fun it was. Having known objectives to plan/work towards over the course of a round is really engaging. The sense of anticipation and build up you feel as you stake out your target's workplace and plan your attack is palpable, and something I've experienced far less with the implementation of the new traitor objectives.

With progression traitors I never really cared about succeeding on the end of round report, since it was tied to literally just a number. But finishing all your round-long objectives and getting the greentext? That's special. The reputation system with regards to succeeding as a traitor feels pretty artificial and game-y. Just grinding out the same bug/steal/vandalize objectives with the occasional kidnap or murder, all just to make number go up. Meanwhile the permanent objectives encourage you to interact with the round in more thoughtful and RP conducive ways. With prog traitor objectives, the goal is to get points and TC, but with the shift-long objectives the goal was the objectives themselves. Murdering crew members and stealing high value items was the big event, the culmination of an entire round's worth of planning. Now it's been reduced to a stepping stone to getting an extra c4 charge or maybe eventually a completely random final objective. The old objectives felt like they were a challenge you needed to overcome, and pulling it off really gives you that sense of pride and accomplishment™. I'm not saying that reputation and dynamic objectives are bad should be removed, I'm just heavily implying it. They 100% have their merits, I just don't think they should be a factor in obtaining the greentext.

To summarize...
  • Give traitors shift-long permanent objectives that function like the old traitor objectives. These objectives should be the sole factor in determining if a traitor is successful.
  • Keep selectable objectives / reputation, but they don't determine if the traitor was successful in the end of round report. Unlocking gear and earning TC is enough of a reward to motivate people.
  • Bring back the greentext.
semi-regular sybil/terry/manuel background character Josh Hawkins
loathed and hated mime Translucency
professional bad take haver
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Re: Give Progression Traitor Permanent Objectives, Bring Back the Greentext

Post by TheSmallBlue » #654054

I basically brought up the same thing on a previous progtot thread and Watermelon, an antag codeowner, basically said he wasn't against the idea, as long as it integrates nicely with progtot.
viewtopic.php?p=653416#p653416

I have an idea on how to implement it and at one point I considered coding it myself, but antag code and tgui scare me so I'll share my idea here.

Basically, at round start, if you get traitor, on the antag panel there'll be a little notice saying
"Hey agent! We have a limited job opportunity for you! Do these specific tasks and you'll be known as a legend! This special opportunity will be available for a limited time, so be quick!" with a timer besides it, counting down from 5 minutes. Somewhere around the notice there should be an information icon explicitly saying that your choice of objectives will be locked, with the tradeoff being that it's easier to get greentext.
There is a single "Enlist!" button, which it clicked, will remove the ability to pick and choose objectives and replace all objective slots with pre-chosen objectives, oldtot style.
If the button isn't clicked, the notice disappears and it does not appear ever again throughout the rest of the round.

There's still a few things I haven't thought of, like if all the objective slots should be locked or if one should be left unlocked for the chance to gain some tc (reputation would become redundant), or if this opportunity should be presented to mid round tots at all.
I'd like to get some feedback, if it's good I might man up and try to tackle antag and TG code, maybe with some help wink wink?
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Give Progression Traitor Permanent Objectives, Bring Back the Greentext

Post by zxaber » #654301

Something like a month ago, I spoke with Watermelon and he approved changing traitor objectives to be similar to the old style, as follows;
  • The progression system remains for unlocking uplink gear and extra TC. All item prices and requirements remain unchanged.
  • Traitors get two special "Primary" objectives, which will be limited to assassination objectives, and additionally an escape alive objective.
  • Greentext cares only about the Primary objectives, extra objectives are for uplink item progression only.
  • The assassination Primary objectives must tie into the progression system, and grant TC/rep upon completion. (Presumably only once, in the case of them being revived and then killed again)
  • Any traitor that reaches the "Final" objective automatically greentexts, regardless of target status or their own survival.
  • The uplink must be updated to list the Primary objectives, as well as tell the user about the Final objective being an alternate path to Greentext.
I've been meaning to code this, but I have limited time nowadays. I hope to do it sooner than later.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"