Gangs were a good mode, and benefited greatly from map rotation

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Gangs were a good mode, and benefited greatly from map rotation

Post by Helios » #655128

Gang wars were a conversion game mode like Revolution, but joining is voluntary. Gang wars turns SS13 into a territory control game, where you compete with other gangs to tag every room you can. Opposing gang members running into one another while tagging turf, violence can ensue, and turn into gangland conflict.
Giving gangs their own chat channel, like cults or changelings would be good, as would providing unlocks to individual members once they lay 10, 15 and 20 pieces of graffiti, with graffiti being cancelled out by being tagged over by another gang, so if they unlock a Flipblade and armored leather jacket at 10, have 2 pieces tagged over, they have to tag 7 more spots to get the next upgrade.
The strategies and tagging opportunities rely heavily on the map, so playing on icebox can have different cheese then if you were playing on Tramstation. The dominator might also might not be the only way to end gangs, it would also be possible for victory to be achieved by the most graffiti laid, or most active gang members on the escape shuttle to add variety. Whether the different gangs would have different objectives, or they would all be chasing graffiti/dominators/tags that day would rely on testing to determine which is more fun.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Re: Gangs were a good mode, and benefited greatly from map rotation

Post by saprasam » #655134

i never got to experience gangs enough so i’m all for seeing it return
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #655135

Helios wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:15 am Giving gangs their own chat channel, like cults or changelings would be good
this was what cell phones were for
Helios

Post by Helios » #655136

iamgoofball wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:10 am
Helios wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:15 am Giving gangs their own chat channel, like cults or changelings would be good
this was what cell phones were for
Well then, why not pagers? Have their radio channel be sent out as pager messages to one another, so their chat would be concealed, but everyone can hear their pager going off, so it's obvious that guy is a drug dealer, I mean gang banger
Helios

Post by Helios » #655803

Another aspect of gangs meta was tag placement. You had the choice of using soap on the enemy tag, erasing it and placing it in a new spot, or just spraying over the opposite gangs tag. This allowed a refinement to the meta, as a department got subverted by a gang, it stopped having graffiti placed adjacent to maintenance, and start placing it in spots that require full access to cover up. Getting soap along with your starting graffiti can would reinforce this flexibility.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #655816

i liked old revamp gangs where they used their dominator (tc uplink pretty much) to summon uzi's turrets and even seraphs if they tagged enough places.

it was pretty insane but fun. Like tdm revs given steroids
► Show Spoiler