Non-malf AIs die when remote controlling mechs, and mech is destroyed - oversight?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Non-malf AIs die when remote controlling mechs, and mech is destroyed - oversight?

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #655853

So I just played a shift where I was a non-malf AI, and there were AI control beacons installed in a gygax. I controlled the gygax, the gygax got destroyed and... rather than return to my core, I was dead.

I am well aware of the viral mech domination malf AI power, where this behavior is intended, since taking over a mech is supposed to be a last ditch effort of shunting your core process to the mech to escape the crew invading your sat, however, for a regular ai control beacon, I don't see why it would be any different than remote controlling your shell? It seems very inconsistent with remote controlling shells.

Can this be fixed, please?
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Re: Non-malf AIs die when remote controlling mechs, and mech is destroyed - oversight?

Post by Rageguy505 » #655893

Mech code is actually fucked. I don't think taking over the mech is supposed to be a last ditch effort, I thought it was a counter to some Durand punching it's way in.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Re: Non-malf AIs die when remote controlling mechs, and mech is destroyed - oversight?

Post by Helios » #655899

Can intellicarded AIs inserted into mechs use equipment yet?
That bug around seemed to be around for years.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #655916

Rageguy505 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:14 am Mech code is actually fucked. I don't think taking over the mech is supposed to be a last ditch effort, I thought it was a counter to some Durand punching it's way in.
From the wiki:

Viral Mech Domination (Costs 30 CPU): Allows you to hack a mech's onboard computer, causing you to shunt into it and ejecting any occupants. The usefulness of this ability depends entirely on the situation and whether or not the crew built a useful mech. If you're safe and all they have is a RIPLEY, you're better off staying in your core, but if you're about to die and the foolish roboticist built a fully armed and equipped Phazon, jump in and go for a joyride. Unlike shunting into an APC, dominating a mech is one way, and you WILL die if the mech is destroyed with you in it (and fail your objectives if it leaves the z-level), so make sure you're positive before you steal a ride.

So this behavior is clearly intended for malf AI, but, like I said in my opening post, it makes zero sense for non malf AIs using a control beacon, which should work exactly the same as an AI shell - shell dies, you just go back to core.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #656011

Helios wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:28 am Can intellicarded AIs inserted into mechs use equipment yet?
That bug around seemed to be around for years.
Yeah, I fixed that a bit ago. All users can use the middle mouse button to toggle safety mode (disables equipment to prevent misclicks), and while the safety is enabled, AIs can use AI clicks.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #656012

If you get inside a crate and the RIPLEY stores it, then gets destroyed, it will delete your mob. As said above, mech code sucks.