Caves Away Mission Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Caves Away Mission Feedback

Post by MMMiracles » #656117

If you weren't aware, the servers are currently running a test of the revamped Caves away mission for the next few days ideally! Let me know your thoughts and feedback on the current progress of the mission, since it still has quite a bit of work to be done despite what is already there.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Caves Away Mission Feedback

Post by NoxVS » #656320

Had a greenshift on Manuel, so I figured I would do a run through. Over the course of a 3 hour round, I made it all the way to the necropolis sword gate. Once the shuttle was called I just sort of speedran through what I could, so quality of feedback probably drops around that point.

Not a fan of the huge quantity of chasms and lava. Lava is sorta fine, but chasms just being instant death mean you have to drag around a fuckton of rods to create safe areas with. Having to deal with 1 tile paths where moving off in any way is immediate round deletion feels lame

It was a little hard to navigate and find what I was looking for. I imagine this was the largest reason why it took so long to get around, especially when I missed something and backtracked several times for it

The ID card access stuff feels kinda pointless, especially since almost all airlocks are on the same wire arrangement and can just be hacked open

Power doesn't seem to be set up properly in some places, such as the tram. It was already almost gone by the time I got to it, had to ask admins for an inducer

I had an issue at one point where I got stuck because I didn't realize I was staring at a black wall that if walked through sent me to the next area, when you take the ladder down

Black motor oil on black volcanic floor right next to a chasm is a very lame way to die without warning. Luckily it wasn't my death that taught me that lesson

The machine gun turrets can be brought with you. As much fun as it was to war crime an entire ashwalker tribe into nonexistence, I imagine dragging a machine gun around with you wasn't intended and did admittedly trivialize a whole lot

The difficulty spike in the final zone and the area before it feels too high. A large quantity of enemies that it doesn't feel like you have the firepower to deal with, even with the boarders in the previous area. Stuff like large quantities of brimdemons and goliaths can be extremely fatal without much warning

It feels like there may be a large disparity in the difficulty/rewards of some randomly generated options. In my run I went through the skeleton tomb area, which was pretty long and I really only completed thanks to the machine gun turret I was dragging along. I've seen an option for that area that is instead the syndicate genetics base, which you can just ignore and bypass entirely. Not sure if this is really meaningful enough to warrant a change though

In the final area, black lattice walls on black volcanic floor is a little irritating but this is sort of just nitpicking

All in all, I thought it was a lot of fun. Some rewards felt a little pointless, where I would have preferred something that contributed towards letting me keep progressing the away mission, but it felt fine even with that in mind. I also think it's important you know how much Sells-The-Wares meant to me and my mining buddy. We even actually paid for what we took from her, which I think is truly the pinnacle of MRP.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server