If you're going to make containers suck, just don't let people open them within the bags again

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

If you're going to make containers suck, just don't let people open them within the bags again

Post by Pandarsenic » #656661

instead of fucking with what they can hold just make it so you can only access their contents if they're in your hands, on the ground, or worn directly on your body

thank you for attending my ted talk
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: If you're going to make containers suck, just don't let people open them within the bags again

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656662

yeah

but make sure syndicate boxes are still able to be used in bags. (syndie bluespace technology is worth the telecrystals)
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: If you're going to make containers suck, just don't let people open them within the bags again

Post by Timberpoes » #656663

Nested storage is soul.

And by that I mean is old, outdated shit.

Inventory matryoshka doll syndrome is an endless battle against items that can't fit in your bag, but boxes that can hold that item being able to instead.

Aspects of it need reworking. Imagine if putting a box in a bag took up as much space as if you put every individual item also in that box into the bag, then bag space was expanded a little to account for this. Boxes would end up being useful for organising your storage, but wouldn't expand it beyond its capacity.

Ahh, but a pipe dream.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #656726

I don't think there's an issue with items being able to fit in a box in your bag but not in your bag.

Imagine you shove a bunch of clothes and tools (?) into a backpack IRL. Probably could fit a whole lot more if they were neatly organized into compartments and boxes no?
Spoiler:
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #656729

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 am I don't think there's an issue with items being able to fit in a box in your bag but not in your bag.

Imagine you shove a bunch of clothes and tools (?) into a backpack IRL. Probably could fit a whole lot more if they were neatly organized into compartments and boxes no?
They don't care about realism, it's about balance. Because, uh, people not having tools improves the balance of the game... somehow.

I brought this up when the toolbelts change happened - you can obviously fit a toolbelt, even a full one, inside of a backpack very easily.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #656905

The war against storage has gone way too far, let people actual carry guns in backpacks again.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #656918

Turns out it's really hard to balance when you only have 3 size categories that can fit into boxes/backpacks. Giving items individual weight could make it more granular, or you could implement a Diablo-style inventory. Maybe you get slowed down if you walk around with your backpack open, because you're rifling through it? With further slowdown added for each nested storage?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #656921

Orrrrr

Just restore the value of having your BELT in the BELT SLOT by letting you only keep hands free while accessing your top-level containers, and anything else you gotta have in hand

So you can't rifle through the pill bottle in your box in your smuggler satchel in your backpack in your bag of holding by reaching into space and pulling out exactly the one thing you want

(Or, honestly, make BOH have a special exemption to that rule because it's a bag of holding + so they're worth the trouble of making again)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #656961

step 1) Inventory system modified to be based on weight capacity of items rather than size of objects
step 2) Weight affects movement speed on a gradient based on how overloaded you are

Make meaningful choices on what you're bringing with you, or else, lmao
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #656973

Ziiro wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:01 pm step 1) Inventory system modified to be based on weight capacity of items rather than size of objects
step 2) Weight affects movement speed on a gradient based on how overloaded you are

Make meaningful choices on what you're bringing with you, or else, lmao
I would unironically love to see how this might play out in practice. It would probably cause a lot of unfun problems though.
► Show Spoiler
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #656980

What if the inventory space boxes take just scales with their content.....
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #657734

The kind of puzzle grid inventory where objects have unique shapes and the challenge is fitting them together in a way that fits in the equipment grid (which the shape of is also defined by the storage equipment type) is probably a better long term approach to inventory management gameplay, and one I would personally support.

We're essentially "simulating" two degrees of complexity with weight and size classes, but our version is adhoc, crappy and unintuitive about what can fit where. Where the only way you really discover it is by actually trying to put shit into shit.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #657980

oranges wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:24 am The kind of puzzle grid inventory where objects have unique shapes and the challenge is fitting them together in a way that fits in the equipment grid (which the shape of is also defined by the storage equipment type) is probably a better long term approach to inventory management gameplay, and one I would personally support.

We're essentially "simulating" two degrees of complexity with weight and size classes, but our version is adhoc, crappy and unintuitive about what can fit where. Where the only way you really discover it is by actually trying to put shit into shit.
Inventory tetris? Fucking ship it.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #657993

I thought we only had one weight/size var. But I’m down for encumbrance
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #658057

We just have a lousy implementation of weight, containers should weight as much as their combined contents, it solves the entire problem because nesting doesn't help you except for inventory management or transferring items.

We also lack good UI feedback on how heavy an item is and how much your container can hold.