Slime Changes

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Slime Changes

Post by onleavedontatme » #79429

Genetic destability: 16% chance of mutation on splitting

I know I'm biased when it comes to slimes but why was the job made so much more tedious/difficult?

Even with two people working on slimes it takes 40-50 minutes to get to the end of the tree, at which point the shuttle is already on its way most of the time.

And yes I know you can inject them with plasma, but it takes a large amount of a small percent chance increase, and you don't start with much of it.

Anyway I'd like to know who did this/why
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Slime Changes

Post by lumipharon » #79430

Aren't you having more FUN now that you're doing the same thing, only it takes 3 times longer for zero reason?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #79444

RNG 2: The RNGiest - Maybe coming to a theater near you.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #79450

lumipharon wrote:Aren't you having more FUN now that you're doing the same thing, only it takes 3 times longer for zero reason?
Yeah basically. Like what's the point of that? I specifically put the mutate chance at 33% so you'd most likely get at least one mutation a generation.

Genetics time was tripled as well, plus you got massive brain damage from it so you have to cryo/eat afterwards. It's not any more in depth, it's not like it adds interesting gameplay, it's just tedious. There seems to be a lot of things changed like that vs when I left. Big delays on actions so everything stretches on forever.

But anyway I dont know the current setup of coderbus, do I have any special right to edit my own work or does the "dont revert others shit" mean I can not fix slimes?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #79464

Kor wrote:Anyway I'd like to know who did this/why
Probably Phil in their slime/life overhaul https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8508

I'll point them to the thread
Saegrimr wrote:RNG 2: The RNGiest - Maybe coming to a theater near you.
lumipharon wrote:Aren't you having more FUN now that you're doing the same thing, only it takes 3 times longer for zero reason?
Do either of you have a better idea? I'd love to hear some constructive ways to improve it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #79467

How about the obvious 'return their old mutation chance'?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #79470

oranges wrote:[Do either of you have a better idea? I'd love to hear some constructive ways to improve it.
Personally I thought the rate I'd had the mutation at initially made slimes a fun/interactive rng (And I think that opinion was shared by people considering how much slimes were being used when I left) Things progressed reasonably quickly.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #79495

The mutation chance wasn't changed, it should still be between 25-35% by default. For some reason the slime scanner shows a mutation_chance divided by two when there's only two mutations possible (instead of 4 different ones), this doesn't make sense.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #79581

phil235 wrote:The mutation chance wasn't changed, it should still be between 25-35% by default. For some reason the slime scanner shows a mutation_chance divided by two when there's only two mutations possible (instead of 4 different ones), this doesn't make sense.
Bizzare. I'd still rather it just be a flat 33 but that clears things up at least. Thanks
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #79630

oranges wrote:
Kor wrote:Anyway I'd like to know who did this/why
Probably Phil in their slime/life overhaul https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8508

I'll point them to the thread
Saegrimr wrote:RNG 2: The RNGiest - Maybe coming to a theater near you.
Do either of you have a better idea? I'd love to hear some constructive ways to improve it.
Yes - put the mutate chance back up.
Xenobio has the same tedium as botany, in that you have to provide constant attention otherwise all your shit dies.
The difference being, with botany you can FORCE mutations with a dropper and mutagen, which is an infinite resource, letting you get whatever mutation, and max the potency at most after a few minutes.
With slimes, you can't spam the RNG, all you can do is wait, or run more slimes, which can mean 30 minutes to get one slimes, or even longer, based on rng.

Also if you leave botany and everything dies, you'll still have your max potency, mutant seeds.
With xenobio, if you leave for a bit, all your slimes starve and start smashing shit, and takes assloads of monkeys to get them back on track.
Wait a little longer, and they all die. Then you have to start from grey slimes again.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #79640

xenobio/genetics/viro: RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON RNG UPON
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #79654

Xeno and viro aren't bad, but genetics is awful right now
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79671

callanrockslol wrote:Xeno and viro aren't bad, but genetics is awful right now
That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
as334
Byond Username: As334
Github Username: as334

Post by as334 » #79673

It should still be in the normal 25%-35% range. However if you inject slimes with epinepherine it'll lower the mutation chance ,and if you inject them with plasma/expose them to plasma gas it'll raise the mutation chance.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #79674

BRING BACK ROROS 2015
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #79680

Loonikus wrote:BRING BACK METROIDS 2015
ftfy
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79693

Both of those will never happen, nor would they change anything. Seriously can we focus on things that matter here?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #79694

do the chem injections still work now that slimes are simple animals? Those don't process chems last I checked
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #79703

Incoming wrote:do the chem injections still work now that slimes are simple animals? Those don't process chems last I checked
Slimes still process chemicals, unlike all the other simple_animals.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor