Buff warops (or nerf the crews ability to form a small army on high pop)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Buff warops (or nerf the crews ability to form a small army on high pop)

Post by HeyHey » #658733

Currently Nuclear Operatives have really poor win rates at war ops. Just this weekend I've seen Nukies go 0 for 2 on Mid/High pop sybil. The most common reason war ops fail is that after waiting Twenty minutes they show up to a station full of disposal traps, gun wielding crew, and prior to the elance removal a swarm of suicide bombing tiders. There are a few changes that could give nuclear operatives better odds when fighting 50-70 crew members.
  • Scaling the arrival time to be inversely proportional to the server population. This would give nukies a better chance of getting in and out before the crew orders several dozen guns from cargo.
  • Scaling the number of nuclear operatives to be higher than it currently is on high pop. I've seen roughly half a dozen operatives on the highest pop rounds which normally means nukies are outnumbered 10 to 1 adjusting this to maybe 6-7 crew per operative would boost their odds
  • Make warop specific gear extremely overpowered. This could be done with the addition of either very expensive new items or just buffing the already expensive items such as making the Mauler emp-proof, adding a stun immunity mod suit module, giving all guns 100% higher capacity magazines instead of the current ones
  • Create a new hybrid nuclear operative / syndicate sleeper agent role that is a crew member antagonist who works directly with the nuclear operatives to sabotage the station. Currently traitors can buy a key to talk to the syndicate but they're under no obligations to help the operatives.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Re: Buff warops (or nerf the crews ability to form a small army on high pop)

Post by datorangebottle » #658739

HeyHey wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:37 pm
  • Make warop specific gear extremely overpowered. This could be done with the addition of either very expensive new items or just buffing the already expensive items such as making the Mauler emp-proof, adding a stun immunity mod suit module, giving all guns 100% higher capacity magazines instead of the current ones
Nukies already have wizard-tier levels of overpowered gear, where they can kill you pretty much by looking in your direction for a few seconds; nukie ranged weapons are ridiculous and only don't feel that way when the crew directly counters them by putting windows all over the halls to block the bullets. If you choose to engage them in melee combat, they can pretty much instantly win by ctrl-clicking on you once(CQC) and also get access to one of the most powerful melee weapons in the game.

Their armor is SIGNIFICANT, especially in combat mode:
► Show Spoiler
Fighting nukies in-atmosphere, you're already losing nearly half your hits, especially in melee. Most war ops will be using the more expensive Elite modsuit, let alone the shielded variant that nullifies the first three hits in a fight. Here's the armor the crew gets: barely half of that at most.
► Show Spoiler
For nukies to be much stronger in direct combat, they'd have to be packing instagib rifles.

Heaven forbid they engage in indirect combat; they can vastly increase their odds by bombing the station before directly attacking, sabotaging the AI and telecomms systems, blowing up the engine, flooding plasma. Their kit is heavily geared towards quick smash-and-grab conflicts with the presence of a limited amount of quickly swapped ammunition, high-damage weapons that outperform anything the crew can acquire, and a variety of explosives for breaking into various rooms of the station.

Let's look at what the crew typically does to fight war ops:
► Show Spoiler
Most operatives do not play around these tactics. Most operatives just charge in and start randomly butchering their way through the crew until they die. This isn't an operative gear issue, this is a skill issue. All of these tactics can be played around in some way; the nukies just aren't willing to do it. Here are a few examples:
► Show Spoiler
  • Create a new hybrid nuclear operative / syndicate sleeper agent role that is a crew member antagonist who works directly with the nuclear operatives to sabotage the station. Currently traitors can buy a key to talk to the syndicate but they're under no obligations to help the operatives.
This is something I can agree with though; currently it's really hard to work together with the nukies because you can't add yourself to their faction. This means two things:
1) you aren't visibly a nukie to them and will inevitably become a casualty. No hud marker = you are dead.
2) they have to do some cheeky shenanigans to get you onto the ship if you want to evacuate with them, because you will be targeted by the ship's turrets.
A way of adding yourself to their team as a traitor would be nice, even if it only unlocked from a war declaration.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #658741

Nuke ops is meant to be a challenge mode, so it makes sense that it becomes a noob trap full of flukies. Nothing quite says "my turn on the instant suicide antag" like loudly announcing themselves to the crew and giving everyone 20 minutes to prepare, even if this is the second or third war ops round in a row.

My nukie tips:
1. Dont use traitor weapons while going loud.
► Show Spoiler
2. SHOCK DOORS.
► Show Spoiler
3. Invest in meds.
► Show Spoiler
Flukies just need to stick together and not try and melee crew tbh.
Weston Echard on Sybil
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #658748

Hi, fikou and I are working on Ops at the moment. While I can't speak to his opinions on the matter, I'll at least share mine. Here is a big thingo in a spoiler
Spoiler:
Firstly, I want to acknowledge that War Ops is one of the more commonly utilized strategies, but I think players aren't quite prepared for the response that nukies elicit in the crew. Ops are often going to find themselves up against overengineered methods to cheese them, because fighting ops directly is usually going to get people killed, and the ops gave them the heads up to allow them to prepare. There isn't anything that can be done about that. These methods for fighting them are just aspects of the sandbox unrelated to ops entirely, being employed against ops because these tools are particularly difficult to deal with or extremely reliable due to only needed a single hit (especially in the case of suicide bombers).

Administrators are the only people that can curtail this behaviour if it becomes too much. If this is such a problem as to become an issue every single time war ops happens, then you're asking for a policy change rather than a code change. Especially if explosives are becoming normalized, and especially if suicide bombers are becoming normalized. Unless you expect coders to scrape out every potential way of cheesing ops only for the sake of ops (a bit of a tall ask given ops aren't the only factor in the game), then it's not happening any other way that isn't contrary to what makes the sandbox interesting.

Lastly, this is possibly as a consequence of players not knowing exactly how they're meant to approach combat, primarily because the average operative usually has fairly low playtimes in any antagonist role, or the game as a whole. Fikou made a change that put the oldest op player as leader, but that isn't going to help implant the younger players with the knowledge towards success. That comes with experience, and the experience they're probably going to first encounter is 'instant death after being ganged up on because they ran in and died'. Happens a lot. And we just can't fix that. Unless you expect every op to somehow achieve hundreds of hours of playtime in every antag role, then they are going to make mistakes and probably going to fail against an entire station that most likely have people who do know what they're doing employing counter tactics to catch those less experienced players out.
Anyway, to your points:

1) Faster arrival times aren't going to change much, and could harm the ops as well. Most of the things you brought up aren't actually that difficult to put together quickly. Maybe disposal loops are the one way in which they could get screwed over.

2) This is already true. There is also an increase in TC granted to ops proportional to the amount of crew on the station. What I think you're trying to say here is that the numbers are off and the hardcap on the number of ops is too low. That's maybe worth investigating, honestly.

3) Based on what you're suggesting, people are finding ways to never have to engage nukies on their terms, which means giving them additional equipment literally doesn't help. Much of the list is good, but could use some refinement. Much of the list is actually just bad, and we removed a lot of that equipment or have buffed it. But no amount of gear will necessarily solve the problem of its pilot, or what happens in situations where the operative is caught in a trap that removes any agency in how they escape it (probably because it was instant death). We're not interested in buffing nukie gear if its not weak whatsoever and buffing it further isn't going to be conducive to a higher win rate. It makes players with a stronger grasp of the game stronger, but it still leaves the players with less experience still in the lurch, because these tricks will kill new players more than older players, and a predominate amount of op players are probably relatively low playtime for the role. To me, this was exactly where Blood Cult went wrong. It has all the tools to make the knowledgeable player a god, but none of it helps a new player reach competency.

4) Dynamic exists. If you, a traitor or changeling or whatever, are opting to use your antag status to fight ops and not cause problems, that's entirely up to you but I think you're missing a great opportunity to help sow more chaos. Additionally, progtot also has a nukies lite round ending objective, so that seems to be stepping on their toes.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #658762

I would like to point out it's still a fairly common occurrence for nukies to forget that they can't breathe in space and don't set their internals. Players being creative is also a problem for less experienced nukies, but you can't account for everything no matter how much TC you get.

I think that nukies are too heavily outnumbered to terrorize the station effectively, even on Manuel. I also think that, because the shuttle usually gets called immediately at 20 minutes, the nukies can't try to make much of a strategic play. They HAVE to move in and kill their way to the disk as quickly as possible. What if warops prevented the shuttle from leaving until the (human) ops were dead? This would allow the warops at least a bit of time to hit important targets to soften up the station first instead of just trying to zergrush the disk with a 13 minute timer.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #658770

the win rate doesn't need to be 50/50
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #658773

I would like to point out it's still a fairly common occurrence for nukies to forget that they can't breathe in space and don't set their internals.
UX problem, not player problem
What if warops prevented the shuttle from leaving until the (human) ops were dead?
Then you would be breaking the only part about war ops that actually works which is that it ends quickly
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #658774

Winrates look fine to me, not 50/50 but not a blowout either https://moth.fans/data/nukes-n-flukes/

All while constantly fluctuating as time goes on and different players come in

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #658782

I wouldn't want the winrate to be 50/50. But I would like to see it be at least 25-30% consistently for ops (for ops in general, rather than just war or just non-war). That would mean that many of the problems that keep players from being able to play ops at all might have been smoothed out. Approachability and ease of pick up really do make it hard to play.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #658783

Shouldn't the winrate be slightly in favour of the team antagonist? After all, every round ends with a shuttle being called; it would make sense that a team antag should be a huge threat that often requires evacuation.
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #658815

Nuke ops being a huge threat that often requires evacuation is orthogonal to having an above 50% winrate. This is proven by the fact that they are already the former without the latter