Text To Speech feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Text To Speech feedback

Post by TheSmallBlue » #660428

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/72300

Watermelon said I could make a feedback thread, so here it is. Post thoughts / clips / whatever
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: Text To Speech feedback

Post by blackdav123 » #660429

a way to preview the voices from the prefs menu rather than just guessing a number would be nice
Weston Echard on Sybil
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #660430

I've always been of the opinion that TTS is doomed to fail, and the only way it will really work as anything more than a gimmick that quickly grows old is if it was just the Papers, Please voices.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #660435

Personally not a fan myself. Silicons sound cool though, but I dunno... It kinda takes me out of it.
It might grow on me, but part of the anxiety and fun of SS13 is having to scroll through loads of bullshit text to see if I missed something valuable.

Seeing someone in the textbox scream 'HELP 'LING MAINT' sounds far more dramatic in text, than hearing some monotone emotionless voice saying the same thing without the fear or pain.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #660437

I'm a big fan of it personally. My only caveat is that we should probably get a button where we can just hit "random" until we like a voice for the character than save the string or whatever so you can pick your character's voice.

I'm not even asking for like some sort of selector or advanced UI
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #660439

I mean there's an option to turn it off, so if people enjoy it then they can have it on, people who don't can turn it off. So no big deal either way.
But as others have mentioned maybe an option for vocal styles, dialect, pitch etc would be useful?
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #660526

TTS has been causing some very noticeable lag for awhile now which has reduced my enjoyment of the game. I also really dont see the value- i dont see how hearing some monotone robot voice read everything for me is going to improve any aspect of the game, its gimmicky and kind of funny at best
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #660531

I haven't had a single inch of lag due to TTS, I think it only happens if your computer exceedingly sucks
Comm from
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #660532

The lag is specifically an issue with how BYOND I/O works, we're working on a solution, it'll be coming with the next version of the TTS.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #660560

They are silly and getting old fast, making me question if it's first of April.
Bababooey 2.0 unless you make the voices properly selectable/customizable and not random at all; instant (no lag here, just them sounding like 10 seconds afer something was said??); and waaaay more lifelike and less robotic (I don't know how you would do this but you're the coders!)

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #660690

I am genuinely sad that so much effort has been spent on this but making everyone sound like robots is a huge immersion downgrade from using your imagination

It's largely agreed upon that bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting and it applies here
NoxVS wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:39 pm I've always been of the opinion that TTS is doomed to fail, and the only way it will really work as anything more than a gimmick that quickly grows old is if it was just the Papers, Please voices.
This or banjo kazooie style gibberish is something I've always wanted so badly from TTS so seeing it go this route instead just breaks my heart
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #660695

Mickyan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:56 pm I am genuinely sad that so much effort has been spent on this but making everyone sound like robots is a huge immersion downgrade from using your imagination

It's largely agreed upon that bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting and it applies here
Making the mother of all omelettes here, Jack. Can't fret over every egg.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #660904

besides the whole game is wasted effort if you think about it long enough.

I personally agree, most TTS is a gimmick that wears off it's welcome within a week or two, so I don't see it being on for that long for most people.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #660929

you can never get the robot to pronounce with the right intonations, the delay is way too long, the word limit is not big enough. I don't like it. And people spamming JOHN MADDEN FOOTBALL, as funny as it is, is pretty much all there is to the whole tts thing. Hope it'll be optional at least, though it does currently give you gameplay advantage, such as hearing speech you wouldn't normally hear, including spells, through walls (heretic saying RCH TH TRTH).
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #660942

Please do keep in mind its still VERY wip, it seems like watermelon is planning on adressing every major issue, like the delay and the inability to select your voice and better voices in general with goof's help
Comm from
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #660944

Try to make the voices understand their tone of voice in the text and emulate it. Else I won’t enjoy a dead and lifeless TTS.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #660996

TheSmallBlue wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:55 pm Please do keep in mind its still VERY wip, it seems like watermelon is planning on adressing every major issue, like the delay and the inability to select your voice and better voices in general with goof's help
these expectations are not realistic. I don't believe we will ever have tts that's at least on levels of "good enough", because "good enough" tts for a roleplaying game is an incredibly high bar.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #661002

I really liked the TTS when it was active. Especially for the cyborgs. Sure it wasn't perfect, but for a TTS system shoe-horned in to a Mongolian breathing simulator built 20 years ago, it was really good!
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #661011

i preferred it when we had animal crossing memememe voices.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #661141

I would definitely love to see the AI vox use text to speech. trying to work with the word bank is cbt
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #661143

I do wonder how many more people would be ok with this TTS system if its only used as the AI vox
Comm from
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #661169

I wouldn't have any problem with it being used by borgs/AI. That'd be actually amazing (eh, so long as they aren't being annoying shits with it)

TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #662046

It's dead, Jim.

Boy, both PR's I was really excited for, TTS and North Star have like died out, that's. Really demotivating
Comm from