have syndicate ship turrets target metal foam walls and floors

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

have syndicate ship turrets target metal foam walls and floors

Post by TypicalRig » #661116

Right now the current meta of ops is just finding the general location of the ship, chucking a metal foam grenade that spawns round start at it, and then having an easy time breaking in and stealing the ship from there. The meta is so effective that the only real counter to it is having ops choose between having fun or having someone stay behind to guard the ship. Although this makes sense from a roleplay perspective, it's not really good from a gameplay perspective. The ship used to be invincible to prevent easy hijacks. This was removed. Then there used to be rule two, precedent five: "Station crew are currently not allowed to board or search for the syndicate shuttle during nuke op rounds, unless they specifically follow an operative or a pinpointer onto the shuttle. It is better to adminhelp first in this situation, so admins can confirm that you found it legitimately." This was removed in favour of making the ship sturdy, but difficult to hijack. This change was made in 2019, so I think it's worth discussing and reflecting upon how the nuke op shift currently functions to see if it's in need of changing.

Personally, I'd rather have this be handled through code than policy. But it's a bit ridiculous that it just takes standard engineering tools to rush the ship. A simple fix, even if it doesn't make much IC sense, is to have the already made turrets aggro on metal foam. Or just foreign constructs that aren't linked to the nuke ship in general. As someone that generally waits until every other nuke op has died to leave the ship, I know that there's always at least one boring person that rushes the ship with foam to try and invade it for free loot. Sure, I can counter them by staying behind, but it's a bit ridiculous that I have to.