You shouldn't slide when slipping on ice with magboots on.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

You shouldn't slide when slipping on ice with magboots on.

Post by Constellado » #663414

The title. There has been shifts where I and my fellow engineers slip into the supermatter (with magboots on!) because I was using the fire extinguisher on it 10 seconds earlier and the sm is back on fire. The ice under the door doesn't melt,(and I can't see it because there is a fire!) and as a result I slippy do dah into a delamming sm. Now I can see how removing the ability to slip on ice with magboots on can cause balance issues with void heretic. So as a solution I propose to make it so you slip but do not slide, which would fix the issue of falling into the sm without changing balance.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Re: You shouldn't slide when slipping on ice with magboots on.

Post by MooCow12 » #663420

Don`t magboots apply a slowdown....arnt they atleast a moderately hard to get item? why would this get turned down exactly?
Actually now that i think about, walking (instead of running) onto ice / space lube probably shouldnt launch you either, just knock you over and maybe move you a tile or two, if that, idk.

Also slip issue git friction
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Constellado

Post by Constellado » #663431

MooCow12 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:35 am Don`t magboots apply a slowdown....arnt they atleast a moderately hard to get item? why would this get turned down exactly?
Actually now that i think about, walking (instead of running) onto ice / space lube probably shouldnt launch you either, just knock you over and maybe move you a tile or two, if that, idk.

Also slip issue git friction
Yeah that is true. however there are also magboots which do not give much or any of a slowdown. The CE magboots is one and magboot modules on mod suits is the other. (the latter I use a lot)
Maybe not slipping on ice at all with them on is better, I am not sure. I have seen people confused by the fact that you can even slip on ice and spacelube with magboots on. You cannot slip on banana peels, or water, yet you can on these. There must be some reason for it?

Either way I hate dying to the SM for something like that even when I take precautions such as putting on magboots. The last time I died due to the slip and slide was the only time I got really angry at the game. The ice was under a door that was on fire for gods sake!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #663472

Dying to supermatter ice always feels kinda bullshit.
If we want people to fuck with the atmospheric components of the engine maybe it just shouldn’t instantly kill you when you touch it but that’s a separate and much more contentious discussion.
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #663494

I think it should probably check for if you're standing on an actual metal floor first – magboots shouldn't protect against slipping on ice on the Icemoon for example. In the case provided, though, magboots should totally prevent you from slipping like that.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #663542

magboots preventing slips would be a large change
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #663547

icebox should get its own icebox anti slip magboots

They would be too expensive that lore-wise the station doesnt account the budget for it in other stations (Why would ice be in space?)
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #663552

Exterior anti slip boots exist on icebox, they’re miner equipment because miners are who are actually expected to be outside.
Constellado

Post by Constellado » #663961

Today I had a round as an AI where an engineer slipped into the supermatter which was on fire due to an admeme event. He used the fire extinguisher to put it out which made ice. Right as I was sending the poor engineer a warning, he took one step forward and slipped into the crystal. He had no time to react as I watched him slide on the floor over two tiles and died. RIP.

Get this fixed please!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #663993

I think this is hilarious and should stay in the game.

Also Fire Extinquisher on the Supermatter is already too powerful.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #664203

Anyone with an engi lathe can print magboots iirc but yeah it is kind of silly that noslips and magboots don't apply to iced floors. Anyone who's played Nukies or Ninja on icebox knows the pain of slipping around the wastes
Constellado

Post by Constellado » #664228

CPTANT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:33 pm I think this is hilarious and should stay in the game.
Oh, it sounds like it when explaining it to somebody else, but experiencing it is horrible. You are litterally roundended during a delamination. It actually feels like a bullshit way to die, as there is no way to avoid it other than not taking a single step forward while using the fire extinguisher. It doesnt help that the sm is delamming, and since you are now dead, there is now nobody to fix the delamination. In high pop yeah its better, but imagine two engineers dying to the same fate right after another. Sounds hilarious but now there are two people in deadchat complaining about the game and the sm is exploding. I will also add that there is no way to know this can happen untill you experience it yourself, and even then you may not know what happened.
Last edited by Constellado on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #664238

Why not just give mag boots an "aggressive tread" that is anti slip on ice, but lube or other slippery items like bananas will still work?
I Hate Geese
Byond Username: I Hate Geese

Post by I Hate Geese » #668381

as someone who plays engi I can attest that it is super annoying to be trying to put out an SM fire, or having to fix something in the SM and you instantly die because of a single tile of ice you cant see from the other gas reactions happening on the tile. I get balance issues but this is such a stupid thing to have to die to, especially when if you're going into the SM chamber shit is already going down and if you don't get in there the station is fucked. maybe you walk slightly slower overall with magboots but gain slip resistance to ice when on metal?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #668477

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 am magboots preventing slips would be a large change
they already prevent slips, just from water and bananas and such. same as noslips basically

ice and lube always slips you regardless of your shoes
Spoiler:
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #668702

What about magboots overpowering space lube and ice on reinforced floor tiles only (you can see reinforced floor tiles are not only metal but they have a clear indention/pattern on them that might make them slightly harder to slide on with all of the gaps between each panel)
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #669440

Jacquerel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:05 pm Exterior anti slip boots exist on icebox, they’re miner equipment because miners are who are actually expected to be outside.
EVA has anti-ice-slip boots in it as well, they're not miner only - anyone can get a pair.

In any case yeah I think magboots should protect against ice slips
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Kassori
Byond Username: Kassori

Post by Kassori » #669814

magboots should work if there's metal hull plating under your feet, because magnets. :)
pfp by AspEv
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #670231

If we're talking about like pure ice, what the hell is it going to magnet to

If you mean like floor plating with ice on it, then yeah, but I have no idea if that's possible to check for.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #671016

The SM killing engineers for tiny mistakes or bad luck is the point.