Fire alarms make me want to throttle someone

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ToastGoats
Byond Username: ToastGoats

Fire alarms make me want to throttle someone

Post by ToastGoats » #664458

Look, I understand that having some kind of emergency system to let people know there's an atmos problem is necessary, but why is it like this? I've been through so many shifts where a minor hullbreach turns the station into a pitch black firelock hell with constant BRRRR BRRRR BRRRR in every room and it makes me want to pull my hair out every time it happens.

I have a few potential fixes for this.
  1. Allow players to open non-heavy duty firelocks with right click, with no need for a crowbar
  2. Reduce the amount the lights are dimmed by, I live in a dorm that catches on fire every week and last time I checked we don't get sent to the fucking dark ages every time someone burns their popcorn.
  3. As an alternative to dimming the lights, make the fire alarm flashing more noticeable, sort of like how real fire alarms will flash every now and then.
  4. Let me disable the alarm sound in the settings.
This should make the alarms a bit less oppressive, especially on maps like icebox where cold temperatures are ubiquitous. Any other input would be appreciated.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Fire alarms make me want to throttle someone

Post by oranges » #664646

5. Make the atmosphere easier to return to non alarm thresholds.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #664650

Now I'm thinking if the game wouldn't just be more fun without fire alarms in the first place, there are plenty of airlocks and they also stop fire/atmos leaks.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #664658

oranges wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm 5. Make the atmosphere easier to return to non alarm thresholds.
Solution is to give atmos ss more time to fire.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #664956

would be awesome if there was a fire alarm computer that could disable alarms in a room/area
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #665016

oranges wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm 5. Make the atmosphere easier to return to non alarm thresholds.
👍 yet more proof that reconstruction being bad in ss13 is the root of all problems
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665113

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 pm
👍 yet more proof that reconstruction being bad in ss13 is the root of all problems
The actual root of the problem is that calling the shuttle and not bothering with it is always the better solution.

I sometimes think fixed length rounds would be an interesting experiment. You have to actually deal with the mess instead of taking the easy way out.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #665242

Fixing temp issues is annoying, and space makes everything really cold. It'd be nice if air alarms doubled as space heaters.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #665258

Indeed temperature is the problem, automatic heating or easy to enable heating would fix alot of firelock hell. Currently you have to cycle to whole supply or go and find a space heater.
If space didn’t make surrounding tiles cold it would be less of an issue, but that wouldn’t fix icebox
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #665264

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:04 am Indeed temperature is the problem, automatic heating or easy to enable heating would fix alot of firelock hell. Currently you have to cycle to whole supply or go and find a space heater.
If space didn’t make surrounding tiles cold it would be less of an issue, but that wouldn’t fix icebox
Some servers have air alarms that can heat or cool areas, and can be adjusted to different temps. If I remember correctly this function can also be disabled and enabled as it increases power draw.
Hugs
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #665283

CPTANT wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:58 pm
Mothblocks wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 pm
The actual root of the problem is that calling the shuttle and not bothering with it is always the better solution.

I sometimes think fixed length rounds would be an interesting experiment. You have to actually deal with the mess instead of taking the easy way out.
nope, its always the better solution because you know the engineers wont reconstruct because its not fun, then the engineers dont reconstruct because A. its not fun B. the shuttle will get called

reconstruction is the root of the problem
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #665480

The other option is to make the fire alarm and the atmos alarm different.

Fire is fairly easy to put out, atmos pressure/issues are harder, so the alarm for that should be way softer, more chime like.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #665512

Fire locks (which are what detect issues) don't actually trigger on fire. They specifically detect cold or hot air, and trigger on those (with a light indicating which).

I guess the real root issue is that scrubbers don't scrub air based on temps, which means the air pocket in a room will be contained and stagnant at that one temp. As AI, you can actually fix temp issues by setting the scrubbers to siphon for a bit, which lowers the pressure and causes the vents to spit out more temperate air. The draught setting does this too, but short burst of siphon tend to be quicker.
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665663

What if fire locks only trigger on high temperature, instead of cold? Cold air isn't really indicative of a fire at all isn't it?

I also like air alarms having limited space heating capacity.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #665664

When I refractored firelocks, I kept as much parity as I could with how fire alarms had worked prior. And fire alarms were given cold detection some time earlier to assist with cutting down on atmos processing (IIRC). In any case, with how fast atmos is now, nearly the entire station would become an icy hellscape without firelocks isolating breaches.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665677

Also increase the reactivation timer of the alarm. Now when someone disables it they activate almost immediately again.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #665793

zxaber wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:54 pm Fire locks (which are what detect issues) don't actually trigger on fire. They specifically detect cold or hot air, and trigger on those (with a light indicating which).
then change it