STOP MAKING BAD SPRITES

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

STOP MAKING BAD SPRITES

Post by toemas » #665436

this is UNREADABLE, i genuinely have no grasp of what its supposed to be or what its going for. WTF are the stripes? The blue line? are those socks? WHAT IS GOING ON?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: STOP MAKING BAD SPRITES

Post by Timberpoes » #665455

Have we gone too far?

In our quest to represent every last dixel on every character so that you can identify everything someone is wearing at a glance, did we accidentally create an unreadable soup of overlays that do the opposite?

Can nobody stop us?
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #665459

Most clothing sprites don't need to be readable. Stuff that matters like gas masks, armor, modsuits are still easily identifiable at a glance. Sure, I guess it does look worse but ss13 never looked good.
It keeps getting worse!?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #665508

I'll be honest I think that "fixing" the issue where headsets, ID cards, wallets, and PDAs weren't visible on the character was a mistake.
It's not important to be able to tell if someone is wearing any of those things at a glance and they look bad.
toemas

Post by toemas » #665511

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:42 pm I'll be honest I think that "fixing" the issue where headsets, ID cards, wallets, and PDAs weren't visible on the character was a mistake.
It's not important to be able to tell if someone is wearing any of those things at a glance and they look bad.
Yes
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #665661

One of the first rules of low pixel spriting is that you have to omit details and focus on the ones that you really want to show.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #668016

Sprites without soul (pictured) will forever more be condemned to the purgatory of forgettability.

Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #668019

toemas wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:45 pm Image

this is UNREADABLE, i genuinely have no grasp of what its supposed to be or what its going for. WTF are the stripes? The blue line? are those socks? WHAT IS GOING ON?
It's a Paramedic with a portable defibrillator on their waist. They're wearing blue nitrile gloves and appear to be carrying a bandage, though admittedly hand sprites can be kind of hard to read. If I understand what the spriter is going for, those stripes are supposed to represent high-vis stripes on an EMT's uniform.

Just because a sprite isn't readable to you doesn't mean it's not to other people. I actually really like the Paramedic's uniform in-game because it's a different color than anything else, so it's fairly easy to tell what job they are at a glance like with Sec. I recommend giving more distinct, targeted criticism of what you don't like about the sprites so spriters can take and use your feedback instead of just calling them "bad".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
toemas

Post by toemas » #668202

Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pm It's a Paramedic with a portable defibrillator on their waist
Thats a medical belt.
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pm be carrying a bandage,
Thats my satchel.
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pm Just because a sprite isn't readable to you doesn't mean it's not to other people.
This couldnt be more funny, you literally just proved that it was unreadable to you aswell in the same post. Top tier stuff Vekter
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #668224

toemas wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:19 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pm It's a Paramedic with a portable defibrillator on their waist
Thats a medical belt.
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pm be carrying a bandage,
Thats my satchel.
Vekter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 pm Just because a sprite isn't readable to you doesn't mean it's not to other people.
This couldnt be more funny, you literally just proved that it was unreadable to you aswell in the same post. Top tier stuff Vekter
Hm, fair point. I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. I still like the design of the outfit, but I'm sure something can be done to improve readability. There's only so much detail that can go into such a small sprite and I suppose it could be said we're getting to the limit of what it can reasonably do.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #668231

i wish you guys would stop respriting security every week
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #668242

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:20 am i wish you guys would stop respriting security every week
it's tradition
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #668271

oranges wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:28 am
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:20 am i wish you guys would stop respriting security every week
it's tradition
I just want to be a space mall cop in red pajamas and you guys keep having a schismatic conflict between tacticool red stormtroopers and black mesa button down fashion police
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #668289

As punishment for complaining, the Warden is getting a new and even more incomprehensible jacket as we speak.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo