The new fancy tgui say input has too much latency.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

The new fancy tgui say input has too much latency.

Post by Turbonerd » #666583

The new chat fancy tgui say has too much latency. It does not receive input before it initialises, giving room for input to be missed between when the say verb gets used and when it appears. This has caused an abnormally large amount of typos on the first word where I miss the first character, or even multiple if the lag is particularly bad. It's frustrating that the lag for the say box to appear is visible.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: The new fancy tgui say input has too much latency.

Post by TheFinalPotato » #666635

There is a preference that exists to handle this. It should be a clientside thing either way, if memory serves, so this could be a gpu issue. is it any more of an issue on different maps?
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #666660

i have zero issues with latency on this
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #666687

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:10 am There is a preference that exists to handle this. It should be a clientside thing either way, if memory serves, so this could be a gpu issue. is it any more of an issue on different maps?
I haven't noticed enough of a difference on different maps to discern a difference. Thanks for telling me there's a preference that handles this. I'll check it out to see if it helps with the issue.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #666750

i constantly have issues with saying stuff out loud when i was trying to use the radio, even when i swear i put a period, i hate it
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #667019

The preference doesn't effect the say input box.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #667029

The latency in question does exist but it's minimal at best tbh. It still can end up in what you want to type instead going through to the game tho.
For example, I have my "i" key set to drop and death gasp for Comedy Purposes, very often I will try to type fast and I'll press "T", and I start the sentence with an I, but I type so fast that I type the I before the T window appears, making me, drop and deathgasp. I don't really mind, I think it's quite funny to just. drop dead out of nowhere
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #667252

It’s absolutely horrible on my computer (surprise surprise I do not have a good one). My ratio of ick ock and accidental emotes has skyrocketed ever since. What is the preference that supposedly helps with this? I looked the other day but didn’t recognize any that might help.
[this space reserved]
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #667330

Yeah man, this has fucked with me too and I have a pretty good PC.

The biggest issue is how it inexplicably will switch from "Me" emotes to "Radio" say statements to normal say statements. I'm sure someone could explain the specifics behind how I'm accidentally switching between these but the fact it happens at all is pretty unnecessary to begin with. Semicolon for radio and "M" to emote is pretty basic to learn - I doubt this new switch system is more intuitive for new players than the old way was.

It's also annoying to cancel a message since you have to highlight all your text, delete it, and then enter the blank menu. I just enter the awful nonsense I typed out to get rid of it and my character ends up looking like he got hit in the head with a brick or something which is a more valid option IMO.
Spoiler:
CaptainKawoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #667419

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 am [...] Semicolon for radio and "M" to emote is pretty basic to learn - I doubt this new switch system is more intuitive for new players than the old way was.

It's also annoying to cancel a message since you have to highlight all your text, delete it, and then enter the blank menu. [...]
you can still use the semicolon to talk on the radio and pressing 'M' will bring up the say window toggled to "me"
and you can cancel your message by pressing escape
🏴‍☠️ Yarr... (Waitin' to be plundered?) Image
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #668020

iamgoofball wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:38 am i have zero issues with latency on this
Goof literally just said

WORKS

ON

MY

MACHINE
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #668025

it does
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #668052

iamgoofball wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:19 pmit does
Same but it's not a very helpful comment tbh
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #668094

I've had an odd situation happen occasionally with this. What happens is I type something and, when I go to say it, it shows up in game but not in the cat log. I then realize that when I try to resay the text, (by hitting the up arrow) the side of the say menu has 1 instead of say. What's causing that? The only way to fix it is by hitting tab. I never hit tab while typing.

Also on my crappy laptop there is a major delay between hitting T and being able to type. It makes it very hard to say things with it. My desktop is fine with it but it has a beefy graphics card.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #670144

this shit worked fine before. "modernization" is a cancer
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #670157

setting is game preferences > ui > enable tgui. it works fine for most people and allows us to do more like easily display radio channels to people who havent yet memorized them all. turn off the preference if you do not like it, it's as client side as it can possibly be right now from what i understand
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #670174

it uh, I don't think that pref exists. I, like a fool, told shadow that it was cringe and boomerfodder to keep around an old system that's been totally replaced, especially if it can be used to circumvent glorfing.
So uh, yeah I'm dumb I guess my earlier post was me remembering the code BEFORE I fucked it up.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #670412

this is literally making the game unplayable for me so it's probably intended behaviour
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #671273

TheFinalPotato wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:30 am it uh, I don't think that pref exists. I, like a fool, told shadow that it was cringe and boomerfodder to keep around an old system that's been totally replaced, especially if it can be used to circumvent glorfing.
So uh, yeah I'm dumb I guess my earlier post was me remembering the code BEFORE I fucked it up.
im 95% sure i asked for it
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #671274

the preference i listed does exist because i went into game to find it

vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #671293

You... You WENT INTO THE GAME?!?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #671322

i join all the time to run sdql queries

LEDDDriver
Byond Username: LEDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #671350

This is not a new issue and is here for a while now. It's particularly apparent to people with older machines. Personally i've abandoned all hope for it. The latency is absolutely horrible to the point i'd rather hit TAB and type under the chat than having to wait for the saybox to initialize. God forbid you hit T then try to start a sentence with "Y" switching the "say" to "radio". Or starting a sentence with "O" results in switching to OOC (for those that haven't unbinded OOC from O, please do). Very frustrating thing and i wish there was a way (like a setting :geek: ) to revert to the old saybox.

UI settings:
Image.

As you can see, there is no setting that you can untick to make this thing revert. I even have the saybox open with current settings,, and i can tell you that there is a very big delay especially in rounds with over 5 people. Unless you consider hitting TAB to switch to the hotbar to talk good enough :roll:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #671352

Can you maybe take a video of what you're experiencing? what's your computer specs? are you on windows 10? do you have ie11 installed?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #672068

Hmm "enable tgui" on input is supposed to make those normal say boxes. Maybe it only changes the *other* tgui input prompts. I think it should revert it to old chat as well

Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #689691

Instead of making another thread I will reply to this one.

There was a PR a week or two? (three weeks ago? a month? time flys) ago that made this worse. The input delay was absurd.
Then there was a PR that half fixed it, this lowered the input delay.

Issue is, for me, it is still there, enough to barely be noticeable but enough to cause issues in game. This is with a pretty good PC and this was not an issue before the original PR. I have not tested it on my shitty laptop to see if it improved that but this delay has caused a few issues in game for me. Say I want to yell in comms after a person decides to chase me. I am likely going to miss typing in the ; due to me typing as fast as possible and the delay causing that to be missed.(I have now started to push Y instead to counteract this) There were also times where I was trying to type in an emote such as *eyebrow and it didnt register because the delay removed the *.

If this matters I have around 150 ping to the servers.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #689774

Ive always just pressed T or M, and used the appropiate prefixes, and didnt care much for the say box. But, two things are reallly annoying with it.
The delay, as mentioned in constellado's post.
when ghosted, if im typing something in asay and a popup appears (a midround being offered to ghosts, as such) it will switch from asay to radio? Its really annoying.
respect (let him do his thing)
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #690169

I oftentimes find myself dropping the T from my text, so "Thanks" becomes "Hanks" or "That" becomes "Hat", etc. I'm nowhere near a fast typer, but if the delay is that bad, doesn't that go against the request in the pr itself that it have no delay at all?
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #691052

After i got back from my two month break it was the first thing i noticed
The chat delay is immense nowadays and i always drop letters

Seems to be worse with higher ping, but would need more testing