new soup does not work

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

new soup does not work

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #672962

i try to make tomato soup and i get blasted in the face with tear gas foam rendering me blind for the rest of the shift.

thank you for removing another thing i enjoyed from the game in the name of making a job more complex so that 90 percent of the people playing will continue to just deep fry shoes and boil eggs
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: new soup does not work

Post by Armhulen » #672963

Let me seriously ask you: do you really hate soups?

I mean come on they're fucking awesome
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #672965

i fucking love soup it was my favorite thing to make as chef

now whe ni try to make soup it sprays me in the face with teargas blinding me the entire shift

if it doesn't do that, it fills the bowl with 92 percent unknown reagent and 1 percent delicious soup

its fucking stupid
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #672966

Did your soup boil over? It only spits out foam if you fill the pot all the way. What did you put in your tomato soup?
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #672969

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:53 am Did your soup boil over? It only spits out foam if you fill the pot all the way. What did you put in your tomato soup?
Ingredients

Tomato

Water

what I got after it boiled

Tomato Juice
Tomato Soup
Protein
Nutriment
Tear Juice

perhaps it spawning tomato juice protein nutriment and tear juice is what caused the overflow
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #672973

Botany might've poisoned your Tomatos, that recipe shouldn't have resulted in Tear Juice under normal circumstances.

TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #672974

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:41 am Botany might've poisoned your Tomatos, that recipe shouldn't have resulted in Tear Juice under normal circumstances.
How can you hate the new soups when a sentence such as this is possible
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #672982

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:41 am Botany might've poisoned your Tomatos, that recipe shouldn't have resulted in Tear Juice under normal circumstances.
do you mean to tell me that I now have to babysit the botanists to make sure they don't grow my onions close to my tomatoes? i just want to make french onion soup and tomato soup and eggplant parmigiana...
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #672999

Well you always had to do that.
I can however tweak the numbers to make it less obvious. The botanists must have REALLY messed with those tomatos if you got that result.

BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #673054

Some botanists, particularly new ones, don't understand pollination because it's not conveyed AT ALL ingame. Tomatoes in particular start with enough instability to pollinate chem traits, so they probably got polluted with tear juice. That being said, tear juice doesn't do anything when ingested, so... Don't stand in the spillover foam?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #673227

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:57 am Well you always had to do that.
I can however tweak the numbers to make it less obvious. The botanists must have REALLY messed with those tomatos if you got that result.
it was round start, the first things they done did grow me, and i was getting about 80 units of tear juice left in the soup AFT ER t he overflow
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #673452

this was the funniest op i have read in a long time
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #673568

when one seeks great flavor, they assume great risks
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #673673

Craft-cooking is dying and I weep
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #673997

the things we lose to live in the future
► Show Spoiler
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #675401

Tomatoes apparently have capsaicin in them by default, this is probably what happened here, would be nice if that could be removed because it also fucks over (although not entirely) making tomato ketchup from grinding them

Also I ate a big tomato and got 3rd degree burns on all 6 parts of my body and went into crit

Not sure that's intended
BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #677433

Tomatoes absolutely do not have capsaicin in them naturally.

They do, however, start at a high enough natural instability (20) to receive chem traits. More than likely, they were planted next to Chilis which also have a high natural instability (30) so the capsaicin pollinated over since the Tomatoes wouldn't average down below the pollination threshold.

In other words, whoever grew the Tomatoes did a dumb and planted them next to the Chilis without a stabilizing plant in between. A 100 potency Tomato would have ~20 capsaicin, which would heat you enough to cause those burns.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #677473

maybe they did it on purpose because they enjoy a spicier tomato in their meals
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #677559

Someone should make a guide not to harm the chef by cross pollination or else botany is going to get arrested or worse
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #677692

you will drink the capcasin soup and you will say thank you chef
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #680306

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 am
do you mean to tell me that I now have to babysit the botanists to make sure they don't grow my onions close to my tomatoes? i just want to make french onion soup and tomato soup and eggplant parmigiana...
Botany is generally awful since they changed it over, you'll get used to this happening until they wise up, really sorry for your loss of delicious soup. Just use the public garden instead with the real proper knowledge of how to grow your plants by spacing them out and using glass dividers, because its not worth exasperating yourself backseat-driver teaching every new botany player for the sake of your own job role.

Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #680788

Ive never heard anything about cross pollinating unstable plants, that sounds really annoying. Botany trays should start with glass dividers as a mapping QOL to prevent invisible unintuitive food contamination
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #680831

As a result of this thread plants now have a visual indicator for when they are cross-pollinating
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #680855

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:00 pm As a result of this thread plants now have a visual indicator for when they are cross-pollinating
Since this was merged, people are catching on that plants are doing something (if you point it out and still chastise them a little for not making important stable plant copies) but the gap of people you can still meet that do not understand the mechanic entering botany as a novice or who literally want quick-foodstuffs without consideration are still prone to making the same mistakes.

- Mainly out of doing soil trays on lavaland as a extremely easy experiment, within 3 generations of continous tray use you recieve pretty much the plant you're going to recieve from there-on if it manages to achieve a good stability score (high, low potency, approximate stats) according to how much nutrient allows it ontop of the germination effect, even mutating through Robust-Harvest (my biggest pet peeve with germination).

Spoiler:
BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #681284

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:50 am Ive never heard anything about cross pollinating unstable plants, that sounds really annoying. Botany trays should start with glass dividers as a mapping QOL to prevent invisible unintuitive food contamination
Yeah, sure, just go ahead and make it completely obvious that the botanist is doing something untoward to the chef's produce when they decide to remove the divider. Cross pollination has been around for three years. Get with the times, old man!
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #681397

Fatal wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:18 pm Also I ate a big tomato and got 3rd degree burns on all 6 parts of my body and went into crit
Why would I ever quit playing this game? Where else am I going to get comedy like this?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
LeekiLoku
Byond Username: Lokuthewise

Post by LeekiLoku » #681416

I ate a peanut and for some reason, i healed all my ailments. Is it possible to get adminorazine from random chem botany?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #681502

LeekiLoku wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:42 pm I ate a peanut and for some reason, i healed all my ailments. Is it possible to get adminorazine from random chem botany?
The chemicals you get in plants largely are not random, they are from the plants they are growing next to
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #681543

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:34 pm
LeekiLoku wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:42 pm I ate a peanut and for some reason, i healed all my ailments. Is it possible to get adminorazine from random chem botany?
The chemicals you get in plants largely are not random, they are from the plants they are growing next to
*unless stability is too low
LeekiLoku
Byond Username: Lokuthewise

Post by LeekiLoku » #681637

You good? Its called chem rolling you get it from having ANY plant 80 instability or higher.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #681725

LeekiLoku wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:09 pm
You good? Its called chem rolling you get it from having ANY plant 80 instability or higher.
Randomised reagents draw from `REAGENT_CAN_BE_SYNTHESIZED` which means no adminordrazine.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #681789

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:19 am i try to make tomato soup and i get blasted in the face with tear gas foam rendering me blind for the rest of the shift.

thank you for removing another thing i enjoyed from the game in the name of making a job more complex so that 90 percent of the people playing will continue to just deep fry shoes and boil eggs
The same thing happened with fishing. Fishing went from being overly productive, to now where 30% of the time you catch garbage and 40% of the time you catch nothing (after playing the barely functioning and laggy fishing minigame from Stardew Valley). To the point that no one even bothers with it outside of critically bored prisoners/assistants. There's a reason why Stardew had you instantly reel in trash/algae, playing the fishing minigame to get literally nothing is frustrating.

Coders love making stuff overly complicated and tedious, then wonder why players just default to doing an easy-to-set-up method over and over again. In this case, it just leads to most chefs deep frying random shit or just making dozens and dozens of burgers the entire shift, much to the frustration of species with more specialized diets.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #681799

Vekter wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:03 pm
Fatal wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:18 pm Also I ate a big tomato and got 3rd degree burns on all 6 parts of my body and went into crit
Why would I ever quit playing this game? Where else am I going to get comedy like this?
Not long after the botany change was first PR'd, i went on hiatus, because i unknowlingly put my gatfruit next to my space tobacco, in the long tested technique of huffing the salbutomol so you have enough time for podepeople to gather plants or ores from outside.

When i lit *it, no less than about 4 seconds later the rollie instantly exploded from the Gatfruit germinated reagents and i died on the spot. It was a end of a era.

Spoiler: