[POLL] Has Mining update been successful?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Has Mining update been successful?

Yes, I enjoy the new updates they've made it more fun for me!
4%
4%
4%
Yes, but there could be some changes made (post below)
4%
4%
4%
No, there needs to be some changes (post below)
3%
3%
3%
No, I dislike the update, I never choose mining any more
19%
19%
19%
I never Mined and probably never will
1%
1%
1%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 255

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

[POLL] Has Mining update been successful?

Post by peoplearestrange » #4047

With the rather drastic changes to mining we had a brief drastic increase of miners ("Oooh shiny new!") and now a sudden fall to almost 0 most rounds ("Mobs stronk!").

Among other reasons I think mining has become to hard to be able to mine anything useful. I mean the East mine has become completely bare and even un-touched. Surely making the west MORE rich and the East the same as it was would seem more logical.
Mining is a department that has a lot of other knock on effects (R&D, Chemistry, Robotics etc) and departments rarely get the resources they need, particularly on lower pop severs.

I actually used to quite like the feeling of gathering resources for the rest of the station and maybe being rewarded by R&D or Robotics with tech. I felt part of the team in my own little world. Now it just feels like a crazy shit fight for resources that might be there. Its hard enough finding gold or silver these days let alone Diamond and then trying to survive getting back to the station with your haul without dying with no hope of rescue.

But this is only one persons opinion. What does everyone think?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [POLL] Has Mining update been successful?

Post by Stickymayhem » #4072

The simple solution you suggested, of changing the mineral spawn rates, would basically solve any problems I have with mining. The whole mob thing should be an optional area for people who enjoy that, but otherwise the decision to continue on as if the update never happened at all is a good idea. Some people enjoyed mining for what it was, and should be allowed to continue with that option.

Aside from that, it was an excellent and much needed update.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #4074

Mining was a simple, relaxed job that provided a lot of useful things for the station. Like janitor, but useful. I don't like the change.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #4104

People have been calling to buff the ore rates for quite some time now. I don't know why we don't do anything about it.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #4109

Ergovisavi is adamant at keeping ore rates low and science things more expensive because he hates gunscience or something
But yeah the real solution is just to buff ore rates tbh
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4110

Kelenius wrote:Mining was a simple, relaxed job that provided a lot of useful things for the station. Like janitor, but useful. I don't like the change.
Mining used to be a chillout job. Now it's either be completely useless, or play a roguelike. You wanna be a good miner, pre-patch? Head west and get rock hopping. Remember to throw the iron, not the diamonds. Post-patch? Hah, hah hah. Hah. Enjoy your goliaths, fagit.

I mean, if you want to play a roguelike, that's fine. But, most people went Miner because it was a chillout job. Give me back the western rock-hopping, and turn the north into a super-rich monster zone.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #4124

I despise mining myself, as useful as it is.
As someone who only uses minerals to make Goldschläger, and if the people who are willing to mine want it, I say we buff the ore rates.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
miggles

Post by miggles » #4135

Drynwyn wrote:Buff ore rates. Ergo can suck a dick, isn't situations like this what NTS was created for?
i believe the ore rates were buffed, but its possible they were un-buffed or something by accident, or that the amount of buffitude was not enough
Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #4172

I think it would have been better if instead of making minerals rare there would have been things that actually use a lot of minerals, to avoid the situation where you ether have nothing or everything.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #4207

miggles wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:Buff ore rates. Ergo can suck a dick, isn't situations like this what NTS was created for?
i believe the ore rates were buffed, but its possible they were un-buffed or something by accident, or that the amount of buffitude was not enough
Second one.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #4215

Kelenius wrote:I think it would have been better if instead of making minerals rare there would have been things that actually use a lot of minerals, to avoid the situation where you ether have nothing or everything.
I'd second this. I used to love that mining was a chillout job, however it doesnt mean occasionally I wouldn't mind venture into monster land for more stuff.

Maybe they could make the western mines be the ONLY place hidden rooms spawn? That might be a good incentive but with no draw backs on material gathering.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #4232

I really dont like giblonite...
Just saying.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #4319

miggles wrote:
Pete reverted them back to the debuffed levels because it was easier for him to do the thing he was doing... or something
miggles

Post by miggles » #4394

if you're talking about his mining changes - no, because he hasn't done those yet
if you're talking about the last /tg/ merge, that was probably an accident
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #4401

The mining scanner stress-ball is one of the daftest things and now basic mesons are ghetto thermals again thanks to being able to see lights shifting (aka any sane person in the dark with their lights on) through walls. Spamming the use key all day makes the job more repetitive if anything I fail to see how it makes mining more skilled, the rework of mesons and ore detection seems counter intuitive to the aims of the overhaul and mean spirited.

The reduction in plasma ore distribution just seems to be a personal lore choice from ergo and I see no correlation to aims of reducing the number of mechs/guns and making mining more thought intensive.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4427

Can we revert this awful new mining already? Please?

I mean, the ore collection exchange points gear thingies are cool. Those should stay, but scrap everything else.
rosello

Post by rosello » #4434

Yeah, the ore rates need a serious buffing.
wake me up before you jojo
Marshall/Mira Mudskipper, Bethan/Renni Ashbird, Trish/Susan Gecko, Mia Karp/K.A.R.P, Elliot Spark, Adriana/Octavia Spiral, Mimi Mime, Violet Caterpillar, Eve Steel, Bethan Butterfly
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #4441

I cant find shit to mine, and by the time I do I either get killed by dumbshit out on the asteroid or so much HABBENING has occurred on the station that it's either pointless to bring back at that point or the shuttle is already halfway to the station.
/vg/station Head Admin
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #4443

I'd personally still like the option to do the PvE part of mining, but maybe that area should have a unique impact on the station and the miner, enough that a traitor could feasibly go out and mine for half an hour, come back to the station and do massive damage thanks to all their goodies. High-tier offensive weaponry unique to miners would be interesting for this, perhaps a grenade launcher allowing the user to clear large amounts of ore from a distance, which can also be used to bomb the station.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #4451

Psyentific wrote:Can we revert this awful new mining already? Please?

I mean, the ore collection exchange points gear thingies are cool. Those should stay, but scrap everything else.
This. The ability to trade ore to get useful gear is cool. But the rest seems silly. Remove the mobs or put them on a separate Asteroid. Buff the ore spawn rates. Maybe add some kind of different hazards to mining, but nothing overly deadly.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #4460

I think its quite evident that mining needs some changing. Unfortunately the feature requests are on hold whilst bug fixing is under way. However I'd think something as simple as ore rates would be fairly simple (if not temporary) fix to this.

Personally I think things like gibonite and meson change have been good. Its just the almost fruitless and death-filled mining that makes it difficult to enjoy any more.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #4478

I think we should revisit this issue at some point since there's a number of people unhappy with mining as it sits.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #4492

peoplearestrange wrote:
Personally I think things like gibonite and meson change have been good. Its just the almost fruitless and death-filled mining that makes it difficult to enjoy any more.
Gibtonite and now with the mesons change equals invisible to mesons gibtonite which has made the ripley unusable. It was suboptimal before but NOW IT EXPLODES itself while performing its primary function, ergo said they would do something about this and I am still waiting. Also the plasma scrooging for um the flavour of a plasma research station away from a natural plasma mine (??? why ???)has seen the end of mass civilian mechs, a gimmick mostly used for being nice and having everyone on the station with their own non murder machine mech.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #5068

I've recently been doing a lot of R&D, and I can say it's near impossible to get any ore, even with a server of seventy-ninety people. It's been that way for a while now. Ore is just too scarce. As I mentioned earlier, I think PvE should come with the rewarded of becoming a space death machine at the end of your arduous mob-killing, and that should be restricked to the east, while the west is reserved for the same amount of ore.

What if at the very end of the tech tree, you had a grenade launcher that required gibtonite to produce it's ammunition? Powerful, mining related, effective in space and awesome enough that it's worth battling for huge amounts of points in order to get it.
Staub
Byond Username: Misterstaub

Post by Staub » #5195

As an avid robotics player, i can tell you exactly what this update has brought. I never get to make ANYTHING except Borgs/Ripleys/Oddys/Bots anymore. if even those. If any materials at all come in, which is a rarity in itself because a) miners die a fuckton b) there are no miners c)the miners are stuck playing dead space no the asteroid, they directly go to R&D to beef up the research for upgrades. After that the very scarce dropoffs nothing remains for robotics, if anything remains the RD/Scientists use that for their own good which ends up creating tension in the department between Robo and R&D.
Ofcourse i played miner in this update quite a lot to see just how fucking horrible it has to be. You start off, grab your fancy gear, try to organize a mining party because going out to the only worthwhile part of the asteroid alone gets you fucking killed. Nobody generally responds, everyone runs off, and they die.
Even when trying to give miners ripelys, DEDICATED MINING MECHS, they would rather use their fancy murdergear because thanks to the ingenious meson nerf you can't avoid possible gibtonite deposites with the ripley. Drill one accidently and the mech SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR MINING explodes. Even if the meson nerf would be reverted, the materials are so extremely scarce that mass mining iron/plasma is barely possible.

TL;DR: This Update is fucking horrible and should be reverted. Get the stick out of your ass about gunscience, id rather have that than mining R&D and Robotics being dull as shit, and i think many will agree with me on this.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198008046930.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561198008046930]Image[/url]
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #5225

Gun science doesn't even exist seeing as we put the guns in lock boxes.

Mech wing was a rare enough to not be an issue, and when it was the issue was that theres nothing on the station to counter and asshole with a mech.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #5232

Is there even a chance of getting old mining back? It seems pretty evident at this point that most do not like mining in its current form.
Staub

Post by Staub » #5236

I fucking wish we could get Old Mining back, Mining was a really laid-back job that you could enjoy while doing something else while still contributing to the station in a major way. It was also a great job for new players to learn the mechanics surrounding vacuums and space. Now its just a slugfest and miners trying to stack goliath hides on their armor to get 90% Brute Reduction if theres any miners at all. This update fixed nothing and only brought more problems, i hope for most of us that ergovisavi realizes this and reverts it for the better.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198008046930.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561198008046930]Image[/url]
Kilm

Post by Kilm » #5242

Is this why I found bugger all when I was out mining?

I think more effort should be spent on revamping mining to make it more of a sub-game from the station proper. Miners generally don't want to have to go back to the station, so I like the facilities already in existence, but perhaps more ease of collection would be helpful.

The other real issue is that in mining, your time is even more wasted when it's a short round. You've spent ages chipping away only to find the station is going into meltdown. It's fairly unrewarding.

The best time I ever had was when I prayed and got a Death Squad Ripley, that couldn't be taken back to the station and I mined the fuck out of that 'roid.
Still got bugger all in terms of ore though.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #5267

I have to say the point where I went "fuck this shit" and could not take it any more was when the ore smelter was wood barricaded off along with the entire ore transport system. Literally all the ore redeemer needs is the ability to create plassteel and it could replace the smelter and we could use the convenient lovely ore tubes again then mail our ore but no in this redundant land of trying hard as fuck to ruin your day that can't be allowed.

Oh that and a lag spikes making mob fighting suicide.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #5319

Staub wrote:As an avid robotics player, i can tell you exactly what this update has brought. I never get to make ANYTHING except Borgs/Ripleys/Oddys/Bots anymore. if even those. If any materials at all come in, which is a rarity in itself because a) miners die a fuckton b) there are no miners c)the miners are stuck playing dead space no the asteroid, they directly go to R&D to beef up the research for upgrades. After that the very scarce dropoffs nothing remains for robotics, if anything remains the RD/Scientists use that for their own good which ends up creating tension in the department between Robo and R&D.
Ofcourse i played miner in this update quite a lot to see just how fucking horrible it has to be. You start off, grab your fancy gear, try to organize a mining party because going out to the only worthwhile part of the asteroid alone gets you fucking killed. Nobody generally responds, everyone runs off, and they die.
Even when trying to give miners ripelys, DEDICATED MINING MECHS, they would rather use their fancy murdergear because thanks to the ingenious meson nerf you can't avoid possible gibtonite deposites with the ripley. Drill one accidently and the mech SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR MINING explodes. Even if the meson nerf would be reverted, the materials are so extremely scarce that mass mining iron/plasma is barely possible.

TL;DR: This Update is fucking horrible and should be reverted. Get the stick out of your ass about gunscience, id rather have that than mining R&D and Robotics being dull as shit, and i think many will agree with me on this.
Everything here and more. Speaking as a Quartermaster, the person nominally in charge of mining, I already have enough trouble getting these fucks to do their job, if I have any miners at all (which I don't anymore). I don't need fucking goliaths murdering the one in every thirty miners who actually does his job and gets the minerals to Science before they're too dead.

This new mining goes beyond awful - You ruined a department, an entire Z-level. Ruined.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/e1Bp7mC.jpg?1[/img]
Revert now. Fuck the code freeze, Now!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #5334

It don't mind mob fighting, it isn't hard it is rare that mob fighting actually kills me. It plainly has wrecked the miner pool and everything else in the update is so redundantly counter productive to the departments involved functioning it is too much too fast.

Less ore to mine, harder to find, less miners mining, more miners dying, slower delivery, worse distribution, less production, R&D mining tools redundant or useless, at one point some koo koo bananas stuff about reducing the amount in a sheet did that get in?

Ergo hates mining due to it being related to science stuff they hate and their overhaul lacks any contemplation or moderation, this is like trusting a grey tider to overhaul security.

Except for mining bot he is cool.
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #5385

It'd be neat to have the ore rates reverted but the mob infested side could be filled with anomalies, artifacts and other cool doodads.
This could offer a choice between chill-out job and roguelike.
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #5417

I think quiet clearly something needs to be done about this sooner rather than later. I think this needs to go to the next step and be taken to github/PR or someone needs to deal with this, which ever way that might be.

If anyone has an suggestions on how we can move this down the line. I think the poll has proved something, maybe an in-game poll but I'm fairly certain results wouldn't be to different.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #5422

As someone who plays cargo tech frequently I can confirm what Psyentific has been experiencing. No miners at all, or they die and the radio goes dead on their end.

I think the new gadgets are great, but the mobs need to go or become sparse (spread them around the asteroid too). A miner should be able to take on the mobs solo.
Also buff the ores back to what they were. Or near close to it.

Ergo is another problem. Way too stubborn and biased. Doesn't even seem to play these roles either.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #5434

There's been a second mining update that appears to have gone under the radar. Ore deposits appear to be roughly as frequent (they're not measurably more frequent, in other words), but the amount of ore per deposit has gone down from 5 to 3 each. Which is fucking bullshit.

That said, it's not that there's no one going shaft miner -- it's consistently one of the quickest-to-fill roles -- but that no one is returning with appreciable amounts of ore. Whether that's because they fuck off, never find anything, or get killed by goliaths (if you fight them in open air you're fine, if you're in a tunnel you're fucked if the tentacles trap you/force you to go toward the goliath) is an open question. Probably it's a mix of all three.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Staub

Post by Staub » #5450

You know what the worst part is, chances are nothing said in this thread will change anything, and thats the real pisser for me. I just want to be able to enjoy making useful mechs as robotics and have chilled round as mining again.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #5479

bandit wrote:There's been a second mining update that appears to have gone under the radar. Ore deposits appear to be roughly as frequent (they're not measurably more frequent, in other words), but the amount of ore per deposit has gone down from 5 to 3 each. Which is fucking bullshit.

That said, it's not that there's no one going shaft miner -- it's consistently one of the quickest-to-fill roles -- but that no one is returning with appreciable amounts of ore. Whether that's because they fuck off, never find anything, or get killed by goliaths (if you fight them in open air you're fine, if you're in a tunnel you're fucked if the tentacles trap you/force you to go toward the goliath) is an open question. Probably it's a mix of all three.
I was involved in the discussion when this was going on it was a push for getting it to appear in actual viens again for all the materials but because of some reason the vien thing of being more than one tile together did not occur....

Dont ask why I dont know but I havent seen Ergo much recently I believe if someone gets the old code we can probably revert most if not all of it as long as it dosent break other parts.

I would rather keep some of the things like gibonite in but really the mobs things I feel killed it and I hate it but what I see more is people are talking about how you find it hard to get anything.

What I kinda suggest is that you get a very tiny amount of ore from each tile that you pick and some can be larger amounts and others smaller. It would require a complete change in how that mining is done but its kinda better in getting slowly accumaliting diamond in which you can send back to the station.

Also means you cant just get 5 and be done because it would become a very slow trickle of tiny amounts of it than just a whole large diamond like it is now.
Staub

Post by Staub » #5493

Jalleo, the last version prior to the complete rework had the sneaky gibtonite that looked like diamonds. In my honest opinion we should revert to exactly that version and only expand on mining in a way that actually solidifies the mining aspect of mining, as in more diverse tools, and maybe new ores for new machines, who knows.
miggles

Post by miggles » #5523

i like the mining mobs i just dont like that theyre pretty much necessary to fight
id say focus on adding content to the non-infested area of the asteroid with new ores and increased ore rate
and have the mobs there for fun and cooler prizes
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #5529

One good thing about the new update: the mining points system is awesome. Particularly with the sonic jackhammer in there; it solved the problem mining had before of going from slow-as-fuck (pickaxe) to ungodly amazing speed (diamond drill) with nothing in between.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #5542

So... start miners off with sonic jackhammers then.

Makes more sense a space miner is going to use something that isn't a dwarf fortress reference
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #5585

we should replace the mining update with BS12's Xenoarcheology.

One of the PRs up for it on bs12 adds finding fossils and ressurecting dinosaurs and shit

this way the miners have more fun stuff to find and play with

but can still get minerals
Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #5637

iamgoofball wrote:we should replace the mining update with BS12's Xenoarcheology.

One of the PRs up for it on bs12 adds finding fossils and ressurecting dinosaurs and shit

this way the miners have more fun stuff to find and play with

but can still get minerals
It's fun but way, way too slow-paced for /tg/. Will need heavy modification.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #6222

Just increase the droprate so that there's mobs -in addition- to regular mining. That's basically all I did on NT.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Staub

Post by Staub » #6282

paprika wrote:Just increase the droprate so that there's mobs -in addition- to regular mining. That's basically all I did on NT.
And revert meson nerf to prevent having to ping the mining scanner every 2 seconds. In addition to that make the right side of the asteroid spawn every ore again, so people can decide if they want to xenohunt or not.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #6308

I really hate having to use the mining scanner constantly to look for ores. It's just straight up annoying for literally no reason.

I'd like to see a system where miners can get between the station and asteroid more quickly. Maybe a special slow teleporter, I dunno. To me, that's the biggest annoyance with mining right now, constantly slowly walking around everywhere. The combat is alright, although more questions about perceived balance might be necessary. There should be more guides, in-game ideally, on how to properly fight them.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Kavaloosh

fix mining

Post by Kavaloosh » #7602

make mining not terrible, STEP ON A LEGO, ERGO
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: fix mining

Post by paprika » #7606

Ergo's idea before it was implemented: HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO COOL I TOTALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS IT'LL MAKE MINING SO MUCH LESS BORING
Ergo's idea after it was implemented: step on like 10 legos ergo

Granted he went about it wrong, but it's still a good idea even if that's the case. The problem is, after he implemented it, he didn't stay on to keep making tweaks and changes based on the community feedback and basically disappeared, but there could be multiple reasons for that. This thread is horrible though, and I wish you didn't post on the forums.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: fix mining

Post by Jeb » #7629

"and I wish you didn't post on the forums"

None of this, or you'll be the one not posting on the forums.

Edited: See below
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"