[POLL] Has Mining update been successful?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Has Mining update been successful?

Yes, I enjoy the new updates they've made it more fun for me!
4%
4%
4%
Yes, but there could be some changes made (post below)
4%
4%
4%
No, there needs to be some changes (post below)
3%
3%
3%
No, I dislike the update, I never choose mining any more
19%
19%
19%
I never Mined and probably never will
1%
1%
1%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 255

Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: fix mining

Post by Jeb » #7629

Bottom post of the previous page:

"and I wish you didn't post on the forums"

None of this, or you'll be the one not posting on the forums.

Edited: See below
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #7633

Jeb wrote:"and I wish you didn't post on the forums"

None of this, or you'll be the one not posting on the forums.
"Kill yourself" is totally civil but "I wish you didn't post" isn't.

Got it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #7636

So a guy calls out someone else to "kill yourself" and then insults another user who calls him out on that. Perfectly fine. Someone else who called out the OP on his shitposting, clearly is the one in the wrong here. Nice to see where the priorities lie.

On topic I agree mining is messed up, but this is not the way to get support in reverting it.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #7638

please make a better list of things wrong with mining
recently the ore rates were raised and theyre pretty crazy right now
if you dont want to play call of duty asteroids just mine on the east, its still got some pretty good ore and no monsters
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #7639

Annnnnnd that's what I get/deserve for glance moderation on my phone. Now that I'm home, both of you need to drop it with the shitposting.

We're here to exist as a community and the last thing we need is the drama that comes from "kill yourself fgt" and "stop posting here". If you can't make a constructive post, please just don't make the post.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #7643

Things still wrong with mining even if the ore is fixed up on NT (thanks).
1: The distribution is all fucked up. The ore tubes are shut and the ore redemption machine spits valuable metal into the hall. Make the ore redeemer able to make plas- steel (as a toggle I guess) and you can have it replace the old smelter sheet stacker combo in the processing room. Also remove ID access requirements from it after doing this because it will be secure enough due to location. Then the miners as part of cargo staff can use the mail system or the scientists can use their teleporter, the two departments with their own shipping are trading stuff in person in the hallway this is SILLY.
2: The meson nerf (fuck "advanced mesons") + stress ball mining scanner is a terrible busywork change it doesn't make mining more skilled it makes it the most repetitive job in the entire game. Imagine if you needed to use a tray scanner to make it work for one second. Also invisible gibtonite slaughters ripleys their practicality aside. Also if you remove the mining scanner make sure to make the mining bot ID controled because unlike every other bot it is operated by the mining scanner to eject ore instead of an ID, whatta snowflake.
3: With miners dying of natural causes instead of murder a suit sensors computer just for mining would be nice so you could find all your dead friends quickly.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #7647

What if I reversed the meson changes but made it so mesons don't give you night vision out to one tile around you like they did in the past, you could only see yourself/the tile you're standing on in the dark?

Mining scanner is pretty neat in my opinion and pinging for ore veins is cool. I buffed the mineral spawn rates enough to be significant now so it won't be like you're hunting forever to find good ore, but the scanner pinging is kind of cool, just doesn't go well with the meson nerf. I could make the scanner pings make ores appear for longer, and make one of the attachments for mechs like mining ripleys an 'ore scanner' that constantly pings every few seconds automatically at the cost of a bit of power.

There's always ways to balance these things and unfuck them in a way that makes sense for the game that isn't outright removing them. We just need coders willing to code this shit in to unfuck them. The solution to ripleys being gibtonited is pretty clear though, see above.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #7677

ripleys need to be faster also
at least in low pressure environments
i have a lot of ideas for reworking ripleys but im tired right now
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #7744

Ripley needs the following buffs:
- Increased speed to match that of the medical mech.
- A heavy kenetic accelerator to deal with mining mobs.
- Automatic scanner that pings about every five ticks.

The increased speed alone would make it possibly desired by cargo techs for stealing crates.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7762

(FIREFIGHTERS ARE STRONGER THAN RIPLYS)
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #7773

There is already a post about this: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=337
With much more constructive feedback/ideas.

Suggest we lock or merge this post.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #7802

Yes
Incomptinence

Re: [POLL] Has Mining update been successful?

Post by Incomptinence » #8608

Look the people who wholeheartedly agree with this overhaul are so few I literally checked the members list to see that Ergo wasn't one of them. Luckily Ergosavi hasn't even made a forum account so the the pro overhaul camp doesn't have one of their scarce votes ridiculed and disregarded.

This is the pits. The changes as unpopular as this are few and far between.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8718

Ergo wanted his mobs to be center stage so he nerfed everything else about mining into oblivion. AKA, normal mining. As long as you bring that back up to par by buffing the drop rates of the turfs (this is really easy to do actually) and lowering the points you get from materials a bit (so miners don't have jetpacks in 5 minutes) everything will be fine. Works perfectly fine on artyom right now.

I'm looking into possibly reversing the meson changes too.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #8724

Thanks mate.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #8981

Having tried miner for only a few shifts, I hope it's okay to make a judgement compared with the one before.

I thought it was alright. I liked the mobs, making mining a bit more dangerous but giving you weapons to counter them. I really liked the points system that incentives you to get better ores and bring them in regularly. The mining bot is useful (though it's annoying when it wanders off, and when you have to leave it behind to take a body to genetics -how about a follow option?-), though I didn't find the resonator or accelerator that great.

Gibtonite was...eh. What it is. It seems too clunky to be actually useful to me, but that's probably because I have poor technique.

Really, there are only two things I dislike about it: what a pity they're big ones. Number one, meson changes (which in itself is two problems, having to ping your scanner for ores and having no way to see tunnels and rooms). It does look better, but it doesn't feel worth the cost. Mining scanners are dull to have to keep clicking. Why not light the tunnels a bit (glowing monsters? plants?) and make the mesons show up the ores as though you had the scanner always on? Seems like it'd be much easier to find your way to a tunnel quicker that way. Second problem, ore distribution. Or lack thereof. It'd be much, much better if you just tripled it. At the moment rare minerals feel like they only find their way to the people who need them on a good round. They ought to get there on average rounds too.
ThoughtSynapsis

Post by ThoughtSynapsis » #10000

There really isn't an easy way to fix it. mining used to be slow and no action job, And thus people wouldn't play it because it's boring. Mining is now threatening and dangerous expedition and thus people don't play it because they don't want to die. Either side will have a reason to dislike about it.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #11167

So I don't know when mining was changed, I haven't played SS13 in several months and am just coming back to it, and it seems that mining is no longer mining, and much more of a new monster-hunter job. Nothing wrong with that, except for that it doesn't work anymore. Sure, on a station like Bay12 or something where the rounds last 3 hours, I could see this new mining working, but in /tg/station, it doesn't. It used to be that in the time it took for me to bring back a load of minerals, I could get a ripley from robotics or maybe a nice diamond drill from RnD, and do another trip before everything went to hell and I get to try and drill the MALF AI with my ripley or whatever. Now, however, it is all but impossible to bring back enough minerals to even let RnD do their jobs of research, never-mind make a big stompy robot or a nice drill for me. Which is to say nothing of the monsters and the associated combat. The mining weapons are a joke, even against the monsters you're supposed to be using them against, and the presence of monsters makes mining for the already all-but-nonexistant ore difficult in the extreme. The presence of monsters and their challanging nature should mean an increase in valuable ore, not a decrease. The drops from the monsters are supposed to make up for this, but due to the difficulty of killing anything in the first place, it really doesn't. No other job in the station is this consistently problematic and suicidal for their endgame abilities and equipment, (security being the obvious exception because they START with good gear).

The second major problem with mining is that the amount of minerals needed to obtain any of the vended gear is obscenely high. It seems like those values were made based on the old system of mineral availability. As they stand now, most of the rewards are only available if the round is going to last over an hour, and the cost is FAR out of balance with their effectiveness. Most egregious of these is the jetpack, costing 2000, when I could get one by talking with the HoP or just hacking one door into EVA. For 2000 points with how hard minerals are to get now, I should get a Gygax or a Ripley outfit for both combat and mining.

As it stands now, mining is broken, and it REALLY needs fixing.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #11177

iyaerP wrote: As it stands now, mining is broken, and it REALLY needs fixing.
But TGStation is under a code freeze for the next month and a bit.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11203

It's not a code freeze, it's a feature freeze.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #11350

Freeze ends on the 7th of June which is a mere 3-4 days away.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #11739

Alright, so I have played about 20 rounds of mining using the new mining system, and my original impression of it remains largely unchanged. The effort invested and the difficulty involved gives pathetic rewards compared to nearly any other dangerous job, and the odds of actually surviving and bringing back a load of useful minerals for RnD to make use of is quite low. To put some perspective on this, I have the following information informally gathered:

Times that I as a miner survived and returned to station/shuttle: 3
Most mining points I ever accrued in one round: 1394. Incidentally, I did not survive that round, falling to a goliath even when stimmed out and wielding a diamond drill.
Times I survived my initial goliath encounter: 5. Three of these were when fighting with another miner.
Times my corpse has been rescued: 3. All 3 times were when another miner was in the immediate vicinity.
Times I have been able to deliver a usable quantity of materials to RnD: 3
Times where I have been able to deliver to RnD sufficient materials for them to make a mech: 0

Other miscellaneous issues:

Why are hivelord remains only usable for a short duration? The healing that they provide isn't really needed after fighting one because you don't take much damage from a hivelord. Basalisks and goliaths are the real threat, and what you direly need healing after facing.

Why are stims not in a form usable while on the asteroid? As pills, they can only be used in an atmosphere, and tend to be useful only when setting out for a second trip, or to dash for the shuttle. By the time you are fighting monsters again, they have worn off. Injectors would be much more usefull. Or just make them eatable through suits like hivelord remains are.

As it stands now, with the plethora of monsters on the asteroid, and the vast distances, a rescue is unlikely at best, and even if it gets launched, unlikely to succeed. One round earlier today had both QM and a scientist try and rescue my corpse only to get killed on the way there. Note that I always carry a GPS, and max out suit sensors. Maybe as one of the mining rewards have a teleport pad that auto retrieves your corpse if your suit sensors show vitals as dead, and it gets linked to your ID. Then all that's required is someone goes to the mining station and grabs body from there, rather than having to run the gauntlet of DEATH.

Other ideas for good rewards for miners using the vending machine:

An armour upgrade for the hardsuits so that taking down the first Goliath isn't stupidly impossible. Maybe have these not as good as goliath plates.

A better weapon for fighting the monsters. Not even a diamond drill proves very good against the horrors of the asteroid. Or let RnD be able to create some advanced weapon that is mining-access to open, and like the other mining weapons, have it primarily effective in a vacuum.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #16324

The creatures on the western part of the asteroid, I find, are quite reasonable in difficulty. Problem is, many other people still manage to get annihilated on a consistent basis because of carelessness or even just a small misstep.

Mining, as it is, is unrewarding as balls and has shitty rewards. You stick your ass out there, kill a trillion mobs, gather 2000 points worth of ore, and most of the time, the round has either ended, or the station is fucked to the extent that your minerals will never be used. In terms of your 'rewards', the only thing of use that doesn't effectively do nothing or are starter-goods, are jetpacks and laz injectors, one of which is one hacked door away to steal on-station. If you decide to haul ass back to the station earlier, you waste another 5-10 minutes depending on distance and somehow, get even less for your efforts.

This is unacceptable. Miners, after 30-40 minutes of mining in the deathzone ought to be more robust than security, given the risks, not 'an engineer with a dangerous pet maybe with some brute-damage resistance'. There needs to be incentive for traitors and such to actually do their job, just like every other occupation. If they won't touch anything but the mining suits with a ten-foot pole, then why the fuck would the normal crew?

There's a reason why R&D and Robotics gets nominerals, ever. No one wants to play mining because it's slow, unrewarding, and has very little round-to-round variation. It's time to fix that.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #16358

Mining jetpacks should fit in your backpack like nuke op jet harnesses do, I'd do mining way more if that was the case and I didn't have to lug it around with me all day.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #16486

As someone whose recently been told how to deal with most mining mobs with the Resonator I still say mining is shit and unrewarding except to the few people that can take down multiple goliaths, these people in return get a bunch of nice toys and a super-duper hardsuit while the mineral gain is low. 9/10 I'm hitting materials 7 without mining and having to wait ungodly long times to get uranium,silver, and gold to actually get upgrades worth while for everyone. I mean fuck if I could get silver and uranium most rounds cloning would be auto process,mechbay would shit out mechs, and the medbay would be superduper.
OtherDalfite
Byond Username: OtherDalfite

Post by OtherDalfite » #19529

Just revert to the old mining. This new version sucks ass HARD. Literally nobody enjoys mining anymore. I use to choose mining to relax but now it's just mine a bit, halfway through die and never get sent back into the round. It's terrible, and not to mention the fact that RnD can't get shit done without resources which died along with the miners.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21210

Wow, the results of this poll are laughable.

Just revert to old Mining already. New Mining is unplayable in the current form, you've scared off all the old Miners, and made it impossible for anyone who needs minerals because so few Miners actually do their jobs or survive to deliver the ore.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #21240

But it's not unplayable, because paprika changed a whole bunch of it and you can get pretty much all the minerals science will ever need from the east, monsterless side.
Which is technically an issue, because it is way too easy to get all the minerals anyone will ever need.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
RG4

Post by RG4 » #21245

Lessen the rare mineral drops on eastern while keeping the same on western to balance out the mineral drop rate.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21250

I'll be rebalancing things when the feature freeze is over.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21301

Anonus wrote:But it's not unplayable, because paprika changed a whole bunch of it and you can get pretty much all the minerals science will ever need from the east, monsterless side.
Which is technically an issue, because it is way too easy to get all the minerals anyone will ever need.

No matter, everyone gets the heebies from how bad new Mining was at first, and Mining still only rarely grabs minerals.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #21345

If people aren't mining now that it's incredibly easy, they still won't mine even if mining was reverted. There would probably be less miners, since there would be no fun goodies to look forward to without RnD's help.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21346

ExplosiveCrate wrote:If people aren't mining now that it's incredibly easy, they still won't mine even if mining was reverted. There would probably be less miners, since there would be no fun goodies to look forward to without RnD's help.
That absence of 'fun goodies' didn't stop Mining before the update. Put the new tools in the protolathe, give Mining more of a reason to work with RnD.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #21348

But their presence did encourage miners to actually do their jobs, even if there is no RnD staff.

If you removed the point system and moved everything to the protolathe miners would have no reason to do anything if nobody in researching, even if there's a ton of other jobs that occasionally need the materials.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21353

ExplosiveCrate wrote:But their presence did encourage miners to actually do their jobs, even if there is no RnD staff.

If you removed the point system and moved everything to the protolathe miners would have no reason to do anything if nobody in researching, even if there's a ton of other jobs that occasionally need the materials.
In Oldmining, Miners would ALWAYS mine at least a token amount before visiting RnD to see if anyone was working. That's more than enough for the limited needs of the non-Science station.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21359

I want to remove the fucking resonator from the redemption menu, holy shit that's dumb. It mines faster than a pickaxe which makes it immediately better.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21425

Contrary to the poll, I regularly see full set of miners at the round start. it really is very easy to mine now.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21426

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Contrary to the poll, I regularly see full set of miners at the round start. it really is very easy to mine now.

Well, it's random seed, so ending up as a Miner at round start is pretty likely. Doesn't mean anyone actually mines, I know that I don't., and the HoP line is near always filled with Miners at round start.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21430

tunderchief wrote:I know that I don't
...then what are you doing here?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #21433

The poll is pretty old things have changed since people voted. Yeah revoting is enabled but there is no real reason to change you vote on your lonesome.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #21437

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
tunderchief wrote:I know that I don't
...then what are you doing here?
Hoping that Mining goes back to the way it used to be, so I can go back to it. Apparently with fifty other people.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21450

What do you not like about current mining? You can mine everything within 15 minutes without going to the west part of asteroid.
RG4

Post by RG4 » #21493

paprika wrote:I want to remove the fucking resonator from the redemption menu, holy shit that's dumb. It mines faster than a pickaxe which makes it immediately better.
Please don't, I don't want to fight mobs that have 500 HP with a gun that only does 30 damage a shotgun and has slow reload time. Resonator is an upgrade to the pickaxe but it also has better offense capabilities that the pickaxes the the kinetic accelerator don't. The con is you need to be close and you could EASILY die if using it on the mining mobs but it deals enough damage to kill the mob fast, while the kinetic accelerator does ranged damage(depend if you can use it well enough) you won't take as much damage but you need to be within 2 titles of hitting the mob but you get the added safety of not getting melee'd to death. Pickaxe is just good against hivelords and people.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21534

But nobody monster hunts, they just use the resonator to mine faster and get tons of points to jerk off with.

If you mined and got points you could buy a resonator anyway, what if i lowered the price on it?

The shotgun is supposed to be the noobie starter weapon for monster hunting, but I agree that the reload cooldown needs to be lessened. No worries, I will do such eventually.

I honestly think the redemption ticket thing completely invalidates the point system by allowing you to buy the 1000 point resonator right off the bat. Having to mine a bit before you go monster hunting should be the real goal, and monster hunting should give you better rewards. I want to up the drops from monsters to encourage people to fight them since it's already really challenging to fight monsters but you don't really get anything significant from it. Goliaths eat poor miners and researchers on the asteroid all the time and they should drop some fun equipment sometimes on an RNG.

Risk vs reward needs to be rebalanced when it comes to the mining stuff and it's something ergo never got around to, he got spontaneously busy which I can't fault him for but someone's gotta do it.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21537

Resonator is already like 750 points. I think it's the cheapest mining tool in the vending machine.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #21538

I like being in the "I've always hated mining" camp.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #21539

mining has this dorf-esque association in my eyes, grizzled miners coming back from a hard day to a completely wrecked station has always struck me as masochistic
RG4

Post by RG4 » #21556

paprika wrote:mining has this dorf-esque association in my eyes, grizzled miners coming back from a hard day to a completely wrecked station has always struck me as masochistic
Nothing better than trudging onto the station with goliath plate armor only to see that it's a cult round, pickaxe in hand and a satchel for of a change it's time to be the hero this station needs. Then you here a -BOINK- the admins try to stop you and the only response is "Isn't everyone culted?" The admin realizes his mistake and gives you the go ahead, the next thing you know cult blades and construct attack but they don't hurt you.
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #21622

So, after spending several days in mining, playing shift after shift back to back in it and getting a feel for it and trying to get 'good' at it, I've compiled a small list of complaints and ideas that I feel would really help flesh it out.

1: The Mining Analyzer. Good idea, current implementation is the epitome of tedious. I'm not gonna say it should be gotten rid of entirely, but I do think it could be improved. What I'd like to see with it is either a little hud activation icon for whenever you have it in your pocket (like the Lantern or Welding mask do, where clicking it just causes it to do it's thing.) so that I can just hold onto my Resonator and Pick, or Pick and Accelerator, or hold a pick and keep a hand empty in case I need to quickly toggle my drone into 'murder' mode. Though what I'd REALLY like to see, ideally, is taking the Analyzer, and turning it into a toggle-able like the T-ray scanner, and have it just on, and automatically send out another 'flash' of ore-sight whenever the 'cooldown' is up.

2: The drone, only a small complaint here, I'm just tired of it shooting me in the back, and sometimes it seems like it takes FOREVER to decide to pick up ore. Not sure what all could be done here, just, a quip.

3: Prizes! There are none! I mean, really. It took, the entire round of serious co-operation with me, the RD, and the Captain to make 1 not-RIPLEY, and when I say the whole round, I mean we finished it after the shuttle had docked. Sometimes I get a diamond drill, and that's kinda cute, except, all it's good for is more mining, which, the diamond drill is kinda the 'ultimate' reward of... and the plasma cutter, doesn't seem all that great for anything. The Lazarus Injector is cute, I mean, I remember one round where the HoP was gonna space a dead Ian and I burst in like Pippin and resurrected him, but, it's not like you can drag around your pet Goliath... then you have the Jet pack, woooo. They're freaking filled with Carbon so they're almost unusable, cause my suit slot is dedicated to ym Air, and my Backpack has all my mining tools that aren't a pick. (like say, my resonator, or Kinetic Accelerator.) Goliath plates are kinda nice, but you'll only ever get like 2 in a round, cause you pretty much NEED an Accelerator or Resonator to take care of em... not nearly enough to get decent bonuses. i've already seen people mention not being able to use the Styms... and all the other items are just kinda gimmicky and knockoffish. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, you can have fun with novelty items.)

4: Monster spawns vs. Difficulty. This is gonna sound kinda wierd, but as a suggested fix to part of the balance issues (namely: Goliath plates...) It seems like monsters are too rare and too hard for what little reward they give, I've spent 10 minutes looking for a Goliath to no avail, just to get jumped by a Basalisk and a Hivelord. Hivelords and their cores are FAR too rare to even remotely be useful as there purpose, being your sorta 'cookie for being a badass'.

5: Treasure troves: Actually, I have decently minimal complaints for these, though I feel there spawn rate could be ramped up a tad, it kinda sucks when the three or four you find are a Blue Tomato Seeds, the Ushanka, the cultist bedsheet/cape (super robusted for wearing it btw...), and the fake katana (also horribly murdered over...)
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21642

Mining analyzer could work as T-ray scanner. Activate it and it pings minerals in a small area around you.

I agree that drones suck at picking up ore. Something definitely should be done about it. Sometimes it seems like they decide to ignore this particular batch of ore.

Jetpacks are used on the back, with backpack in your hand. This is like how it's always been.

Monsters can really use a buff in numbers and stats. Make them go in packs as well.
Rose-chan

Post by Rose-chan » #21676

I find mining quite satisfying since the revised ore rates. Once you know how to deal with goliaths they're quite easy and rewarding to deal with accept on the rare occasion where you find two of them together. Basilisk drops could do with being more rewarding given the amount of damage they're likely to do to you. It wouldn't hurt to add a box of donks to the machine for a nominal amount of points, as I usually use these over the medkit anyway.

PROTIP: You can pop a whole bottle of stimulants before going out to mine. You can also pop them before returning to the station to deliver those materials to science without having to worry as much about being horribly murdered.