rounds are way too long

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

rounds are way too long

Post by iwishforducks » #677946

1 hour and 30 minutes target round length is way too long. whenever i think about playing this game i think about how i would have to spend 2 hours in a row trying to stay engaged. can it be at the very least a target round length of 1 hour? 45 minutes sounds perfect to me honestly but idk i dont want to push my luck. i don’t really care how you guys do it but i think an easy way would be to simply have more roundstart antagonists. this is less about how to achieve lower times and more about why since the coder philosophy is 1:30
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Re: rounds are way too long

Post by Calomel » #677969

The balance for roundlength: between avoiding having every round devolve into repeated 20 minute murderbones and avoiding 2 hour borefests is probably very complicated. Still, i think i agree that an hour and some change is a good place to be, with a little more depending on what the antags desire (Slower-acting antag rounds can be itneresting too).
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #677979

1 hour 30 was never the target round length, it is supposed to end around an hour with 30 minutes of non main job content just in case it goes longer
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #678002

its a pretty much impossible task to balance round times beyond setting a vague time mark for it. roleplayers and big project people will always want longer rounds, lrp centric people will always want shorter and more action packed rounds
respect (let him do his thing)
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678003

Which is why we picked a general goal for content to be finished at. To go one step further would be to beef up dynamic to end longer rounds quicker and offer support for the survivors in shorter rounds, but to some degree, some rounds are better if they end sooner/longer
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678235

Armhulen wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:24 pm 1 hour 30 was never the target round length, it is supposed to end around an hour with 30 minutes of non main job content just in case it goes longer
according to https://moth.fans/data/round-lengths :
moth.fans wrote:Round lengths over the past 30 days, per server. The red bar is 90 minutes, the designed around round time.
not to say that what you're saying is false i was just always under the impression this was the goal. idk if this hasn't been updated in a while or if it's some sort of maintainer miscommunication (INCREDIBLY LIKELY GIVEN THAT NOT ALL MAINTAINERS AGREE ON DESIGN CHOICES!)

anyhow, it's really hard to dissect the info below here, since i can't filter it by pop (it only filters by hours which doesn't give a good idea of what data points are actually rounds that have pop. prime hours changes per day of the week, week of the month, month of the year... you get it.) however, as you can see more than 75% of rounds on sybil go over 1 hour. 25% are longer than 40 minutes but shorter than an hour. to be honest the 40 minute rounds are probably nukies though idk why there's no data points for below 40 minutes because nukies can definitely kill quicker than that. it's really hard to say how many rounds are above 90 minutes- because, again, it's hard to say what rounds are "alive"- but, if I had a generous guess I think about 20% of our rounds go above an hour thirty.

idk i get this is all down to personal preference but the rounds just feel too long and drawn out. i know im not the only one that feels like this and im sure some appreciate the slower paced rounds but it's really draining for me personally.

iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678237

something to consider here that's not represented with this information is why rounds end. i feel like "crew transfer votes" are fairly common these days and evac shuttles just seem to get called despite there being very little threat present. however this is entirely anecdotal.

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #678244

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:54 am something to consider here that's not represented with this information is why rounds end. i feel like "crew transfer votes" are fairly common these days and evac shuttles just seem to get called despite there being very little threat present. however this is entirely anecdotal.
The most common is that too many traitors are generated and a shuttle call pops because nobody wants to actually deal with 4+ traitors running around bugging everything, killing all the pets, etc. They don't usually do anything that's particularly dangerous or interesting, especially because as-is, they aren't rewarded for it in any way and often struggle to secure the tools to keep themselves safe if they would want to. This typically follows some number of failed votes to call the shuttle.

Crew-bored transfer is probably the second most common reason I see, virtually never with the station goal actually done.

The third most common is the traitors actually becoming dangerous enough that people evac for safety, but - as I most often play Manuel when I deadmin and play - this is FAR below either of the top two, because Manuel traitors generally aren't allowed to make the station dangerous enough that it should be evacuated.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678245

one thing is clear, we could use more ramping up
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #678274

we should up slaughter demon priority to very high considering they can only spawn at the hour mark

that'd do a lot in ending rounds quicker
► Show Spoiler
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #678291

iwishforducks wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:18 pm 1 hour and 30 minutes target round length is way too long. whenever i think about playing this game i think about how i would have to spend 2 hours in a row trying to stay engaged. can it be at the very least a target round length of 1 hour? 45 minutes sounds perfect to me honestly but idk i dont want to push my luck. i don’t really care how you guys do it but i think an easy way would be to simply have more roundstart antagonists. this is less about how to achieve lower times and more about why since the coder philosophy is 1:30
I agree, I think balancing the game for longer round times of 90 min + is very silly since the vast majority of highpop rounds don't last this long. And when they do it's because there's like a midround blob or something and it kills population.

Only lower pop rounds consistently get to this time so balancing for 90 min is more like balancing for lowpop which most coders agree isn't how the game's designed anyways.
Spoiler:
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #678416

90 minute rounds allow for more interesting and advanced projects, as well as allowing people to create or participate in more interesting and advanced stories. The game gets repetitive when rounds become shorter than 90 minutes.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678439

It's less about not allowing rounds to get to an hour and a half and more the fact that too many are and too many are going beyond hour and a half
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678443

if you want the round to end earlier then call the shuttle
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678445

shuttle calls should be mostly because of the station threats not because people are bored
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678449

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:02 pm shuttle calls should be mostly because of the station threats not because people are bored
threaten the station then
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678452

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:14 pm
Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:02 pm shuttle calls should be mostly because of the station threats not because people are bored
threaten the station then
with a good time. maybe i will, maybe i will. but dynamic should really be doing this for me a lot of the time? it really should be.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #678460

Yea shuttle calls right now are mostly cuz people are bored, and if not for boredom its to deny some antag their progression payoff. The shuttle should be called when the station is swiss cheese or burnt to a crisp, not cause theres the threat of either of those happening in the near future.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: threaten the station then
you don't understand I NEED to LIVE bro I will call the shuttle once there is a realistic chance that some cool mass death event like a huge bombing spree or a massive fire breaks out occurs in the next 5 minutes. I NEED to walk calmly down the escape wing onto the shuttle or else I'm basically round removed which should never happen to me because it isn't conductive to my rp which makes no attempt to improvise or to otherwise recognize the setting of a metal deathtrap masquerading as a space station. Real rp is being le quirky with my metafriends until there's valids who I will not be le quirky with because its hard not to get my le fucking head blown off while i have this traitor in a straitjacket in perma. My rp should be designed around or else I'll spam coding general saying that coders only know how to design call of duty unga bunga gameplay.
To this end we need more planetary maps like icebox where if theres too much fun stuff happening on the station i can just walk from arrivals to escape with a hard hat and a gas tank. If more maps could suffer from distension which makes metastation look lowpop so that I can play wheres waldo as an antag instead of doing shit like using a disguise or needing to think about combat any more than click spessman 2 win that would be perfect thx.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #678593

iwishforducks wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:18 pm 1 hour and 30 minutes target round length is way too long.
cool don't care maybe go play a battle royale it seems like more your speed.