Powerless drying racks & torch-crafting (Ghetto)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Powerless drying racks & torch-crafting (Ghetto)

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #680507

Being the enlightened individual i am, i have a box of SS13 memorized tricks at all times from years of experience, and also a severe distain for the current pace of station-side activities, taking myself down to the ashwalker camp whenever i recieve the opportunity to indulge myself in a ghost role. Recently it was changed in favor of swapping the lanterns out and i found it first quite jarring and then with some rationalization realised that basically nobody but older players would understand how to make torches.

Changes done here <https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/72683>

Per means of a simple demonstration: using a drying rack, dry a porcini mushroom you've cultivated from a soil-plot and physically click a dried mushroom leaf on a log, thats very simple but its completely unchanged from the very first iteration beside from mushrooms being a valid target for torches only being pr'd within the last 2 years completely unnoticed. As far as torches go they are very uninteresting and q-delete themselves afterwards, and also have no crafting menu presence whatsoever.

Typically the drying rack does not matter, you can cook leather and much more importantly other stuff using a bonfire grille's microwave_act (which can't be lit by a torch if you built the grille before setting it on fire) but as a piece of legacy machinery from a past where interactions of drying options weren't possible. you can still dry, and its even required for most recreational cigarettes and rollies on-station, so the continous tug of war about where it belongs, how it should look like and whether it should be powered is just ping-ponging between whichever coder

- Couldn't there just be a subtype made more for purpose out of crafting menu?
- The drying action is entirely variable to how the server is feeling, if this was standardized to a normal timer, it would be less action of dumping 20 leaves to be instantly done, then waiting 10 seconds for 1 leaf to dry, helping differentiate between subtypes of dryer powered and unpowered.

I figure the point i am trying to drive is, are these systems just needlessly old in execution or do they need to be changed over again.
Off Topic
(into a system i will no doubtedly hate and then leave the server over as a additional bonus)

Spoiler: