Abduction [Gamemode]

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Abduction [Gamemode]

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #82847

Bottom post of the previous page:

Abductor hiveminds should be random colors so that deadchat can spy on them more effectively.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #82915

Bombadil wrote:The abductors should be able to use research points to either augment themselves, or upgrade their gear or something else entirely. At the moment the points have no purpose. Being able to get xeno liek stealth from yoru stealth suit with x points would be cool
If anybody gets me cool ass sprites for Alien Augments (Both items AND the onmob sprites) as suggested above ^ I will move the augment overlay icon states to a variable to allow easy custom augment icons (Which would also open the floor for badmins making your arms look however they please so, yay)
私は完璧
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #82916

what do you mean by augments

like the robo limbs, torso/head parts we have now or something different?
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #82958

Yes, Alien themed/looking Robolimbs. (I said Augments because I added them, and called them augments, but that name has sort of been usurped by xxalpha's implant thingies)
私は完璧
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #82984

The crew can't use the aliums weapons. Understandably it may be too advanced for our puny terrestrial brains but it would be nice to get some reward out of it. Maybe link it to the experimentor somehow to add to R&D/Robotics,s stuff or make them combinable to the toys available on the station.

I also witnessed a scientist getting robusted on the ship for a mistake but after that the crewmember couldn't do anything without admin intervention. Maybe have some sort of a reward for the robust crewmember if they successfully kill the abductors and take over the ship. Bonus points if tator because more rewards.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #82985

Why would you even want to kill the abductors, they turn you into an antag.

I think I added some tech levels to alien devices in the PR
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #82988

Sometimes, muh valids is more important than muh antag, Dorsi.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #83000

But if they turn you into an antag, can't you valid everyone on the station? It's more tactically viable to let yourself be abducted.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #83006

This is exactly why we need negative implants as well as positive ones. Being abducted by aliens should be a bad thing, not a good thing.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #83020

I'm not liking how abductees are completely inconspicuous until they pull out their novelty dildo
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #83030

Malkevin wrote:I'm not liking how abductees are completely inconspicuous until they pull out their novelty dildo
I assume you mean abductors, based on the sprite of the baton?

And they aren't completely inconspicuous. Examining them reveals their Agent Vest even when they are disguised, making it completely obvious that they are here to probe you.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #83031

Randomly appearing near you is a pretty big hint too.
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #83056

Drynwyn wrote:Examining them reveals their Agent Vest even when they are disguised, making it completely obvious that they are here to probe you.
Dang, so far I've thought that you need to actually damage them to get the spycheck off.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #83116

The disguise is broken by:
* Being Hugged (But not Hugging someone else) - FULLY REVEALED
* Being Examined - PARTIALLY REVEALED
* You can't speak - PARTIALLY REVEALED
* Taking damage - FULLY REVEALED
私は完璧
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #83117

Remie Richards wrote:The disguise is broken by:
Welcome to the cuddly new meta
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #83118

And suddenly, hug-box!

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83125

Someone changed the Abductor ship back to the old cramped version. Fix pls.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #83198

Remie Richards wrote:The disguise is broken by:
* Being Examined - PARTIALLY REVEALED
* You can't speak - PARTIALLY REVEALED
* Taking damage - FULLY REVEALED
* Foam darts - FULLY REVEALED
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #83200

The disguise should be given 3 hits before it breaks, if brute damage is applied then it should break right away.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #83204

My fears were completely unfounded. Game mode is a lot of fun. Very unique.

Only thing I wish for is an end round screen that told who the abductees are/which aliens died.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #83286

AdenAbrafo wrote:The disguise should be given 3 hits before it breaks, if brute damage is applied then it should break right away.
It would make it simpler if the disguise couldn't be broken at all by zero damage attacks.

Hell, it was bad enough that people were shooting me with foam darts before they had a metastrat reason to do so.
AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Post by AnturK » #83287

Got my my antediluvian pc dusted off while my laptop is being repaired. I'll try to drop some updates soonish if this piece of junk keeps working.
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #83305

You can detect abductors with sechuds, get your scientists to mass produce sechuds so the crew can validhunt.

To add to the above, why would I want to kill abductors because I can get antag? Simple. Because by being an antag from being abducted you are proving that you are an unrobust scrub who can easily be kidnapped. Also if you need to be made an antag to validate your shenanigans on crewmembers you hate, something is wrong with your playstyle and mentality.

Also given that dead abductors can be debrained and they are slightly more common to xenos although harder to kill, is it possible to make the brains when deconstructed give the same biotech levels as a xeno brain? Most of the abductors I've caught already rather ghost than become an ayylium borg so it kind of ruins the effort I have to to through just to get them debrained.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #83311

For the love of god make alien surgery tools go through clothes so I don't have to redress people every operation.
Plus the camera console bugged out a fucking ton when I last used it.
I play Boris Pepper.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #83324

I reckon the alien's surgery table should strip people and put all their stuff in a box, which is then teleported back to the station along with the victim.

By the way, what are we calling these aliens?
Aliens/Aliums/Xenos are already taken, as is Greys.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #83326

Ayyliums.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83328

Ayylien/Ayylium/Abdcutors seems fine. However from a lore perspective i think we should go with centcomm denying their existence and cover up any abductions. Its hilarious when the crew plays alone. Captains announcing that a weather balloon had crashed into the station made me laugh.
AnturK
Code Maintainer

Post by AnturK » #83336

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9115

So far:
* Teleporation/Vest functionality moved to the advanced camera so scientist is less about swapping screens constantly
Pinpoint teleportation - 8s delay, creates flashy effect and sparks at the target location. (Let me know if sparks sound is too much / Not loud enough)
* Viruses no longer affect abductors (or skeletons/golems)
* Mash buttons on abductor console for 10 seconds to activate the teleporter as a human
* Experimental dissection ignores clothes now

Will probably work on this bit more later today.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #83339

For the most part I love abduction mode, it really captures what was great about old (yes) ling, the paranoia and fear to be by yourself on the station. I like the custom objectives too -- I got one (prevent cloning) and actually felt like I had to work and try at being an antag and sabotage the station for the first time in I don't know how when.

However, there should probably be some downsides to being abducted, both for the aforementioned paranoia and so people don't take any chance at a license to griff. Can be negative effects to glands, can be the chance that aliens will just kill you, either way has to be unquestionably negative.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83341

Maybe have a chance for glands to have the complete opposite effect? Spiders/slimes spawn and attack you, rather than ventcrawling you become fat and slow etc.
AnturK
Code Maintainer

Post by AnturK » #83342

I was considering adding a chance (say 20% or so) for glands to become unstable on activation, increasing the effects but with some serious consequences for the victim. Eg spider gland making the victim burst into fully grown non player spiders, mindshock stunning everyone but causing brain damage to the carrier etc
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #84007

okay I've resprited the ship itself, the stuff inside, and I also redid the tools and did the tools that weren't done yet. Like last time they're offered as is unless there are major flaws and the sprite sheet file extension can be changed back to just .dmi and byond data should be retained.

there are nine variations on the floor tiles and all floor tiles are animated. The walls are snowflake as fuck.. I didn't really know how to sort them so you'll have to play jigsaw to put them together in the map editor I think. At this point in time I'm not planning on making a full set of alien tables or alien racks. The parts are assembled as per Fayrik's latest change to the ufo or as seen below.

one last edit I forgot how high the bed is you may have to change how much a person's sprite gets shifted up or down when they get tabled onto the surgical bed thing

and i'll probably do some augmentations and an alien box/cuffs in the next week or so
Last edited by imblyings on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #84009

Wow that is amazing. I still think the UFO design is way too claustrophobic and it needs a second room for storage, but the sprites are fantastic. UFO design is a job for the mappers i guess.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #84010

they could be a bit more roomier but the lockers may or may not alleviate the storage problem. I guess time will tell.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #84011

Damn that's so much detail it doesn't even look like SS13 anymore. That's both a criticism and a compliment, mostly compliment.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #84014

oh my fucking god.
私は完璧
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #84016

10/10 looks sexier than the frikken bluespace artillery, and that thing's a work of art.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #84018

holy shit those sprites look fucking amazing
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #84020

Oh.....my.....
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #84028

When Ausops wants to sprite something he'll sprite something very damn well.

Now if I don't see a PR for these sprites up within 24 hours I'll do it myself.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #84034

i need this
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
AnturK
Code Maintainer

Post by AnturK » #84037

I love you, Ausops.

Putting this in the Update as soon as i can
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #84056

Damn, that looks pretty good. I'd say that it looks more like a UFO too, in comparison with the old one.
Incoming wrote:Damn that's so much detail it doesn't even look like SS13 anymore.
It is sorta jarringly different visually, but I think that'd sorta make sense, given that Abductors are supposed to be much more highly advanced and mysterious?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #84057

I just came. :honk:

merge please
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
AnturK
Code Maintainer

Post by AnturK » #84061

Sprites added to the latest update: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9115

Are these floor tiles are meant to be put in some specific order ?
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #84084

No real order, just plonk them down however you want. Thanks for adding them.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #84086

I wonder, are these floor tiles meant to be animated? Since I'm seeing a lot of tiny differences here.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #84087

They're all animated yeah.
私は完璧
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #84108

hey Anturk, if you haven't already, could you please code an admin button for making it easier to manually make alien abductors?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #84123

I think the whole idea of the Aliens ships being of that different and higher quality adds to the 'alien' feel of the ship. We all know what a Human like environment looks like yet now your suddenly in a strange and different environment.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #84130

but yeah i would be against these sprites for on-station stuff because they're so jarringly different, but landing in something that looks so alien compared to the station probably contributes to the experience :V
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted