Please simplify id cards access

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Please simplify id cards access

Post by CPTANT » #682655

Honestly the access card system is a complete mess. It's unintuitive and restrictive. I know this was done to prevent people getting unlimited all access but it is completely overdone. Very unintuitive with requiring to paint the card and the trim etc.

The system should just be:

2 types of cards: Crew and Command.

Crew cards simply can not contain high security areas such as: Heads of staff offices, bridge, upload, AI Core, Armory, ID console etc.

Every card can contain an unlimited amount of access within their allowed category.

Nice clean system without all the weird hassle we have now.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Please simplify id cards access

Post by Armhulen » #682657

I don't like that system as much as the current one. Nerfs the whole effect of trims
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #682668

Armhulen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm I don't like that system as much as the current one. Nerfs the whole effect of trims
What effect? It's an extremely inflexible and unintuitive system.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #682692

no
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682696

CPTANT wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 pm
Armhulen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm I don't like that system as much as the current one. Nerfs the whole effect of trims
The point is to make you have to hold many cards to get wide sweeping access. With this, you need one card to get all acc- hey you just readded all access on one card again
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #682765

imagine being too lazy to move to the printer to change trim
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #682816

I like the trim system. It's fun walking around as an antag with a wallet filled with stolen ID cards.
► Show Spoiler
Unsane
Byond Username: RiceRicebbb

Post by Unsane » #682824

Sqill issue
Shy Hime, a mime main and crazy ong fr :3 crazy CRAZY uwaa, gayest boy on Liyue
ImageImage
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #682920

Very unintuitive with requiring to paint the card and the trim etc.
This is a UI problem, not one with the system itself. I'm not sure there's a wonderful reason the trimmer/painter/whatever need to be separate from the main computer (as long as tablets are limited like they are now).
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #682927

Armhulen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:11 pm
CPTANT wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 pm
The point is to make you have to hold many cards to get wide sweeping access. With this, you need one card to get all acc- hey you just readded all access on one card again
The point is to make you able to put it on one card again. Card juggling is extremely boring and you can already add any access you want. Crew/Command separation is the most logical one by far, it prevents people from infinitely duplicating all access, but still makes getting command access cards very desirable.
I like the trim system. It's fun walking around as an antag with a wallet filled with stolen ID cards.
In what world is inventory tetris fun?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #682958

Sometimes less convenient is better
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #682963

At least make the ID console actually apply an ID set when you select it. The current system where you can select it but it actually does almost nothing because the sets never fall within what is painted is just dumb.

Yes I've known for years how to deal with this, it's still dumb.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #683040

CPTANT wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:06 pm In what world is inventory tetris fun?
In the same world that used to have all-access on one card and it was bad for the game; assistant became a game of trying to tide the captain's spare ASAP so you could give everyone all-access and make jobs irrelevant instead of just running for a toolbelt+gloves for personal sandbox involvement.
As someone who's suffered from people being successful at taking an all-access card and distributing it to tons of other people, that shit's not fun. It's great being the roboticist until a horde of people you can't eject swarm your workspace, leave shit all over the place, steal everything not bolted down, and overcrowd the equipment.
If you want to simulate something close to this, it's like the current thing that happens to chemists when a bad virus gets out.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #683047

And it's still possible, you just need to put in more work. It should have been so free.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #691284

I like the trim system, but i find it a bit too restrictive, how about we increase the amount of wildcard slots in general?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #691435

The issue is that trims are separate from the access console. Trimming the ID (painting) should pre-add the default job access you paint to it.

Issue is that the painter has no access requirement so I guess you’d need to merge them into one machine.
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #691437

Wait in retrospect, there is literally a whole job dedicated to making ID changes, why SHOULDN’T it require a little bit of know-how?
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #692093

There was nothing wrong with the old access system.
Getting AA because of war ops was fine.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #692542

ok but I disagree with you on that point, which is why i changed it.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #692752

I played a round as HoP yesterday with the new changes. It took a second to figure it out, but once I got it, it was pretty easy. I like the changes.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #692782

oranges wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:28 pm ok but I disagree with you on that point, which is why i changed it.
And what about the fact your decisions bleed onto other servers?
When /tg/station stopped having cloning, so did the rest of the servers using the codebase.
Do you ever think about the state of the game beyond this server when making decisions?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #692783

yes, good for them to get such good gameplay improvements.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #693340

hated all access. it breaking out was really annoying and i welcome the new card changes. that said it feels just a bit too restrictive. there’s very little reason to suspect people of having access they’re not supposed to these days. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone break into HoP’s for access. I think more people break in there to kill Ian than anything else.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
AsbestosSniffer
Byond Username: The Asbestos Sniffer

Post by AsbestosSniffer » #695495

There should be at least one more wildcard slot for IDs, right now it feels too restrictive.
Observer main. Otherwise I play Lucy Trelawney on Manuel.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #695517

traitors stealing all access for their traitoring is fine, every yahoo on the station having it because it exploded and now everyone has ID console access and can shit out infinity all-access cards and spread them around the station is not

buff agent IDs to have more slots if traitors being able to steal more access is desirable (but watch out! if someone twigs that you have access to more places than your ID should allow that's a dead giveaway!)
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #698035

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:38 am Wait in retrospect, there is literally a whole job dedicated to making ID changes, why SHOULDN’T it require a little bit of know-how?
this is a good point
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler