Janitor Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Janitor Feedback

Post by Helios » #688519

What do people think of the current state of Janitoring in 2023?
What do you like? What do you dislike?
:clean: :clean: :clean:
HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Re: Janitor Feedback

Post by HeyHey » #688522

I fucking LOVE the janitor, change nothing except the lack of beartraps in the tram station janitor room.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #688550

The janitor key thing is neat but, in practice, almost never gets used. I have had it used a whole two times. One time was because it had just been merged, and the other time a head actually granted me access for the purposes of replacing a singular lightbulb.

Also, it kind of sucks joining as a janitor after seeing there are no janitors just to see ten mop bots and two janieborgs making you 100% redundant. The same thing can happen even if you start as janitor, but at least it seems to happen a little less often.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Post by Time-Green » #688573

Janitor is unironically the best job in the entire game
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #688586

Time-Green wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:25 am Janitor is unironically the best job in the entire game
Wrong it's cargo
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688588

cargo would be great if we could get people to use cargo
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
CaptainKawoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #688590

Janitor is my favorite job. It's not tied to progression and you can do it at your own pace. You just get to wander around the station and run into trouble or other interesting scenario's. There's no abstract, hard to remember chain of actions you have to look on the wiki for just to be able to do your job. Just hold soap and click on tiles. There's a surprising amount of depth to it. Soap and mops clean in 3x3 patches, while cleaner spray is good for trails of blood. There's also the galoshes which stop you from tracking blood over floor, so you can get a full 3x3 of blood without leaving bloody footsteps. It can get tiring cleaning up after people deliberately making a mess of the place though. Eventually I will be strong enough to beat the shit out of them for turning my job into a sisyphean affair. Metal foam grenades are especially infuriating. Somebody pressed Z once and now you have to spend a whole ass minute just smacking metal foam. It'd be nice to maybe have some sort of tool just to clear out metal foam. And maybe it could shred the person that set the grenade off too.
🏴‍☠️ Yarr... (Waitin' to be plundered?) Image
► Show Spoiler
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #688605

kawoppi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:13 am Janitor is my favorite job. It's not tied to progression and you can do it at your own pace. You just get to wander around the station and run into trouble or other interesting scenario's. There's no abstract, hard to remember chain of actions you have to look on the wiki for just to be able to do your job. Just hold soap and click on tiles. There's a surprising amount of depth to it. Soap and mops clean in 3x3 patches, while cleaner spray is good for trails of blood. There's also the galoshes which stop you from tracking blood over floor, so you can get a full 3x3 of blood without leaving bloody footsteps. It can get tiring cleaning up after people deliberately making a mess of the place though. Eventually I will be strong enough to beat the shit out of them for turning my job into a sisyphean affair. Metal foam grenades are especially infuriating. Somebody pressed Z once and now you have to spend a whole ass minute just smacking metal foam. It'd be nice to maybe have some sort of tool just to clear out metal foam. And maybe it could shred the person that set the grenade off too.
I use the mop, you know why? Because it gives XP, and its efficient. I don't give a shit if you slip, you should have read the damn sign. Its better then the shitty soap, which takes forever to clean with and runs out easily. Of fucking course I'm going to use the mop, Bang, Bang, The mess is cleaned up. Space cleaner runs out quickly, doesn't give xp and makes me talk to the fucking crackhead chemists. My janibelt is reserved for cleaner grenades and light replacers only. Of course I'm going to laugh and point at the sign when you slip, its bright yellow, obvious and clear as day. Ill see you losers when I have the jannie cape and you're still stuck with your shitty soap and space cleaner.
respect (let him do his thing)
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688606

I wish there were more jobs like janitor. Variety is important, and people will gravitate to niches so having a ton is good, but I wish we were better at making janitor likes instead of virology likes
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #688633

Janitor is a job that organically always has things to do. Very good job. Almost never changed because no change is needed
CaptainKawoppi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #688656

kinnebian wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:05 am
kawoppi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:13 am [...]
[...] Its better then the shitty soap, which takes forever to clean with and runs out easily. [...]
Yeah ok, mopboy. Can't afford to use the JaniDrobe, huh? Maybe if you had more cleaning XP you wouldn't have to worry about the speed and durability of the soap. When you trip over your stupid water bucket that you have to carry all over the place, I'll be there, laughing at you. SOAPGANG FOREVER 2023

(It's nice that there's sidegrades fit for different preferences and situations with considerations like cleaning speed, inventory space, renewability, capacity and convenience.)
► Show Spoiler
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #688658

kawoppi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:11 pm
kinnebian wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:05 am
kawoppi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:13 am [...]
[...] Its better then the shitty soap, which takes forever to clean with and runs out easily. [...]
Yeah ok, mopboy. Can't afford to use the JaniDrobe, huh? Maybe if you had more cleaning XP you wouldn't have to worry about the speed and durability of the soap. When you trip over your stupid water bucket that you have to carry all over the place, I'll be there, laughing at you. SOAPGANG FOREVER 2023
Took you long enough to come out of the woodworks, guess you had to clean a mess larger than a piss puddle and it took you 7 hours?
respect (let him do his thing)
CaptainKawoppi

Post by CaptainKawoppi » #688660

kinnebian wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:20 pm [...]
Took you long enough to come out of the woodworks, guess you had to clean a mess larger than a piss puddle and it took you 7 hours?
Once I'm done scrubbing away my tears it'll be SO OVER for you!!
► Show Spoiler
c4g
Byond Username: C4g

Post by c4g » #688662

kinnebian wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:05 am I use the mop, you know why? Because it gives XP, and its efficient. I don't give a shit if you slip, you should have read the damn sign. Its better then the shitty soap, which takes forever to clean with and runs out easily. Of fucking course I'm going to use the mop, Bang, Bang, The mess is cleaned up. Space cleaner runs out quickly, doesn't give xp and makes me talk to the fucking crackhead chemists. My janibelt is reserved for cleaner grenades and light replacers only. Of course I'm going to laugh and point at the sign when you slip, its bright yellow, obvious and clear as day. Ill see you losers when I have the jannie cape and you're still stuck with your shitty soap and space cleaner.
trash bag on hip > janibelt imo. you can fit almost all of your janitor gear in a box anyway.

speaking of, pretty much the only janitor issue i can think of right now is that the slightly full/full trashbags are missing on-body sprites and show up as bright pink on the spacemen

edit: actually i think thats been fixed already!
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #688717

I feel like such a hipster not running around with the soap. I walk around with a jannie cart stuffed with anything that will fit into it, lights, spray bottles, brooms, mops etc. The belt has a cleaner grenade, plunger, rust scrubber, etc. Anything left on the ground is going into the trash.

The only time I use the soap is if it's an area that I will get attacked for using a mop in (medbay mostly)

Janitor is a super chill job and it's how I learned how to navigate maps. There's also minimal risk or you being stuck in one area. Jobs like cargo might require you to almost never leave your workplace if you're the only guy, but janitors can basically wander off and do whatever. It essentially gives you the freedom of an assistant but you're more respected. Janitor is one of the few jobs that I consistently hear being thanked for their work. The only time it sucks is when a whole department's lights go out because it takes fifteen minutes of asking people to open doors for you to get to every light (no the heads of staff won't even grant access via the key system in that kind of scenario)

I still like cargo tech more, but I thoroughly enjoy the janitor job.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #688721

good evening,

it is with a great warm glow in my heart that i report that janitor is in fact one of the greatest roles in /tg/station. please do not change it, it is perfect.

seasons greetings,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Helios

Post by Helios » #690412

bobbahbrown wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:47 am good evening,

it is with a great warm glow in my heart that i report that janitor is in fact one of the greatest roles in /tg/station. please do not change it, it is perfect.

seasons greetings,
bobbah 'bee' brown
What is the state of Bees in 2023?
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #690414

I'd like to see more random roundstart messes to take care of.

Bay has a thing where they track litter that's been left out at end of round and spawn it back in (they don't have canon round continuity so it's definitely more of a mechanical thing)

Basically more variability in stuff to clean would be cool, especially if messes were large/inconvenient enough that someone might call in for a janitor at roundstart.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #690418

RaveRadbury wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:59 pm I'd like to see more random roundstart messes to take care of.

Bay has a thing where they track litter that's been left out at end of round and spawn it back in (they don't have canon round continuity so it's definitely more of a mechanical thing)

Basically more variability in stuff to clean would be cool, especially if messes were large/inconvenient enough that someone might call in for a janitor at roundstart.
Mass shift start oil spills :honk:
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #690427

Adam Klein wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:27 pm Mass shift start oil spills :honk:
That brings up another thing:

Currently any time your clothes get messy the sprite gets bloody. Stepped in an oil spill? Blood on your clothes. We should probably GAGS it idk.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #690473

my biggest problem with janitor is water evaporates too fast now, giving me little opportunity to point at wet floor signs after people slip on them
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #690511

RaveRadbury wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:59 pm I'd like to see more random roundstart messes to take care of.

I’d love this. Right now some stations start off with barely any messes (Meta and Icebox) have a few messes in select locations (Delta arrivals) or are absolutely trashed (Birdshot)

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:54 am my biggest problem with janitor is water evaporates too fast now, giving me little opportunity to point at wet floor signs after people slip on them
I tend to make barriers with wet floor signs and people will still run headfirst into them and slip and get frustrated about it.

Sometimes I feel like 40-50% of the player base don’t have functioning eyeballs.

My belief is confirmed based on the amount of people I see getting into cargo (hacking the door, running in when someone with access walks by, asking the AI to let them in, breaking windows, unwrenching the orm (fuck you coders for shooting down every PR to make the orm welded, seriously)), etc. to get to the lathe… that was right out in the lobby, where it’s been since a minute into the shift.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #690518

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:25 pm

I’d love this. Right now some stations start off with barely any messes (Meta and Icebox) have a few messes in select locations (Delta arrivals) or are absolutely trashed (Birdshot)

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:54 am my biggest problem with janitor is water evaporates too fast now, giving me little opportunity to point at wet floor signs after people slip on them
I tend to make barriers with wet floor signs and people will still run headfirst into them and slip and get frustrated about it.

Sometimes I feel like 40-50% of the player base don’t have functioning eyeballs.

My belief is confirmed based on the amount of people I see getting into cargo (hacking the door, running in when someone with access walks by, asking the AI to let them in, breaking windows, unwrenching the orm (fuck you coders for shooting down every PR to make the orm welded, seriously)), etc. to get to the lathe… that was right out in the lobby, where it’s been since a minute into the shift.
i like setting up a sign 5 tiles in front of a wet spot and 5 tiles behind it and just stand there watching how many people will run for 5 tile lengths and slip
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #690953

The janitor keyring thing needs an update. Neither I nor anyone else I have talked to in-game about it knows how you're supposed to use it or even what it's purpose is.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #690974

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 am The janitor keyring thing needs an update. Neither I nor anyone else I have talked to in-game about it knows how you're supposed to use it or even what it's purpose is.
“God I wish we had access like janiborgs (fuck janiborgs) or paramedic.”

*coder monkey paw curls*

One of the arguments for this was so janitors couldn’t tide. Ignoring the fact that paramedics also tide.
c4g
Byond Username: C4g

Post by c4g » #691081

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 am The janitor keyring thing needs an update. Neither I nor anyone else I have talked to in-game about it knows how you're supposed to use it or even what it's purpose is.
heads of staff can use the keycard swipey thing in their office (the one they use to call red alert) to grant the keys temp access to their department. but nobody ever does this because its pretty well hidden and almost always easier to just go open the door for them anyway.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #691174

The janitor keyring's function or how to use it isn't explained ingame either. More things to clean up is nice, but I feel the better play is to make unattended spills cause more detriment.
Vomit can have a chance to roll increasing severity diseases like gibs.
Dirt can attract roaches and rats, and maybe more dangerous pests as time goes on.
Oil is... Fine actually.
Uranium and Radium pools can (VERY) slowly irradiate surrounding things.
Large amounts of blood in one area could roll a slaughter demon in the same vein as a lone operative.

What if janitors could wave a sheet of cardboard to air dry water spills slightly faster? What if water on the floor could conduct electricity?

More fun things to put in my bucket and mop with would also be cool. The mop is a toy and mopping the floors with Nitrous Oxide is funny as shit.
Helios

Post by Helios » #691269

BrianBackslide wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:24 am Uranium and Radium pools can (VERY) slowly irradiate surrounding things.
Ripleys and Odysseus leaving oil when hit, while more advanced exosuits leave pools of liquid uranium and other dangerous compounds would be a good addition. Higher tech industry leaving by-products that lead to high tech cancer.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #691274

Those are what-ifs, for leaving stuff unattended. But mechs being polluting as fuck would be funny as hell not only as janitorial content but also as a fuck you to mechs.
sicksock
Byond Username: Sicksock

Post by sicksock » #692931

I love janitor and think its great overall. I have a few minor gripes though:

Janitor Tax:
A bunch of the janitors 'core items' cost a decent chunk of credits to buy from the jani-vendor. For example the purple hat, gloves, janibelt, flyswatter, paint remover and more. The goulashes are 59c! Most other departments get their "core" items and apparel for free or can print them at round start. The janitor "tax" means that a fresh jani has to choose between being fully equipped or being able to buy things such as tools (which are also also sometimes necessary for the janitor job, nobody wants to see cracked glass or broken tiles after all). The obvious solution is to make most of these 'core items' free, bringing it in line with other department vendors.

Wirebrush vs posters.
The wirebrush should be able to remove ripped posters. Wall cleaner thingy clean wall. Makes sense to me.

Omega soap.
Very underwhelming considering how tedious it is to make. Perhaps if it had a cleaning "aura" or could track messes it might be worth doing, but currently it's a long scavenger hunt completely divorced from the janitor's gameplay and the reward is basically a flex. Obviously nobody is losing sleep over this, but it needed to be said.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693979

So I played janitor, AND used the keyring

And not only is it obnoxious to use because you need to convince a head of staff to care enough to go to their keycard auth
And slower than using an ID, and therefore worse off still than paramedic and jannieborgo

BUT IT HAS A TIME LIMIT

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA

WHY DOES IT HAVE A TIME LIMIT

IF THEY JUST WANT TO LET YOU IN FOR ONE MESS TO CLEAN UP, THEY WILL JUST OPEN THE DOOR FOR YOU

The WHOLE POINT of the keyring is to allow heads of staff to give the jannie access to their department so they don't have to keep micromanaging opening doors for them

Someone explain to me how the time limit on it makes ANY sense?!?