New newling feedback thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

New newling feedback thread

Post by bandit » #85518

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9306

Major change, WIP, could use suggestions
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: New newling feedback thread

Post by DemonFiren » #85523

...and this is all about eating appendices, why?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #85543

I like some of the concepts you've got here. Getting rid of stings is an interesting one, though it will make stealthy confrontations somewhat harder. Starting off with 2 evolution points instead of 10 sounds great, as a way to make changelings have to work their way up, though a changeling with all the powers sounds very tough to deal with, and I suppose at that point your'e relying on the 75 chemicals limit to do the trick.

That melee stunner sounds like a nightmare to deal with as security. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. It should only happen once, I suppose, but 5 should be enough to strangle someone or at the least grab their taser/baton/cuffs, stun/restrain, and then strangle/eat them.

I assume you can bite while strangling rather than only when aggressive grabbing, since otherwise you've got to have two ways of subduing your opponent or you just have to crit them before you start eating. Which would be a shame, being eaten alive sounds fun (in a way).

Rewards for eating other changelings sounds annoying. I used to really enjoy the teamwork part of changeling: it wasn't based on 100% trust, but helping out your alien buddies was a genuinely fun part of the game. Then they removed ling hivemind from being a standard power, and now you're actively giving changelings incentives to kill each other as much as possible. Antag v antag is going to whittle down the amount of danger the normal crew sees quite rapidly if it's like this, I think, and that would make this mode less fun. Now you might be thinking 'changeling as a group always took over and never called the shuttle', but if you're doing an overhaul like this then you can give them an incentive to do so and make sure the round doesn't drag on too long, without encouraging them to kill each other asap and/or never ever work together.

Appendices is an interesting, if slightly odd, idea. I like the concept of the 'absorbed' getting back into the round faster (debraining and recorpsing was always a pain), but I don't like the idea that if they don't have an appendix you still get 50% of the reward, and I don't like the idea that this provides a limitless source of appendices so long as your opponent gets cloned (because, of course, the appendix gets grown back). If you could make it something that suggests a changeling should only go after a given person once in a round, that could be very interesting. Maybe not the appendix, though, because lots of people will then get the useless appendix removed anyway to spite changelings. Maybe. Unless you gave having an appendix some sort of tangential benefit, which wouldn't fit with that organ's apparent uselessness.

Would you change the objectives of changelings? Steal X's brain was always a crappy one.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #85544

Cheimon Rewards for eating other changelings is already in, has been for atleast 8 months if not longer, Manshroom just took it from the absorb proc (since he's removing absorb)
私は完璧
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #85551

Changeling is one of the antagonists options I keep off along with cult and this change won't alter this.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #85557

Remie Richards wrote:Cheimon Rewards for eating other changelings is already in, has been for atleast 8 months if not longer, Manshroom just took it from the absorb proc (since he's removing absorb)
Has it? My bad then, I still don't like it as a concept. I used to love team ling, and then I stopped playing as changeling because it stopped being as fun.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #85559

RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #85578

I just don't get why this is a needed change, or how this change will benefit changeling as a mode. That, plus the fact that this nerfs changelings by giving them only 2 evo points at the start (meaning we'll be seeing a LOT of failed early changelings), and they get more points by pretty much murdering people (kill person, get points that help you kill more people, kill more people, get more points to kill even MORE people, etc.), makes me dislike this even more.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85582

Seems like a huge removal of the stealth aspect of things, probably not gonna go over well for a while.

Also that PR is a mess, is this a trend where I can just go attempt to code something I want in and have Remie do all the work fixing it for me? :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #85591

Cheimon wrote:Would you change the objectives of changelings? Steal X's brain was always a crappy one.
Changelings will probably have the objectives of "steal 3-4 genomes, kill X, escape. They will also have hivemind communicating, and /may/ be guaranteed to not have each other as targets.
PKPenguin321 wrote:The fact that they get more points by pretty much murdering people (kill person, get points that help you kill more people, kill more people, get more points to kill even MORE people, etc.), makes me dislike this even more.
I will be adding a system that allows you to get points from any mob, and nerfing the biting to not instakill.

Humans for 2 points, monkeys for 1, simple animals for 0.5 and xenos for 4.
Saegrimr wrote:Seems like a huge removal of the stealth aspect of things, probably not gonna go over well for a while.
Lings will keep all of their stealth abilities, I just gave the axe to stings(and parapensting). They can still transform, avoid being tracked by the AI, turn into monkeys(in future it will be simple animals), all that good stuff.
Also that PR is a mess, is this a trend where I can just go attempt to code something I want in and have Remie do all the work fixing it for me? :^)
m-muh first pr :?
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #85597

I kind of agree what Firecage posted on the PR page. Newlings don't seem to have any incentive to not space/gib the bodies they rip the appendix out of. Why let them be cloned if they'll just call you out on being a ling?

Maybe give them some kind of bonus if a body they killed gets cloned? Or an ability that makes people forget who attacked them?
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #85599

I absolutely dislike that you want them to murderbone again. Extract DNA sting was nice, now every changeling takes 5 - 10 people out of the round again?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85602

hanshansenhansson wrote:Extract DNA sting was nice, now every changeling takes 5 - 10 people out of the round again?
Or like 20 rats in maint and a few monkeys from viro, apparently.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #85610

Man_Shroom wrote: Lings will keep all of their stealth abilities, I just gave the axe to stings(and parapensting). They can still transform, avoid being tracked by the AI, turn into monkeys(in future it will be simple animals), all that good stuff.
FYI: Parasting hasn't been apart of /tg/ Ling for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Unless that changed, who ever readded it is a retard.
Atleast allow the lings to have have say 4-6 points instead of ten, they should get a few extra things instead of one.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #85626

How does this work if the ling target has a torso augment?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85652

You break your teeth and can only speak in lithping for the retht of the thift
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #85798

Man_Shroom, I think honestly you had some pretty alright ideas for lings in that thread in ideas a while back, but a total revamp is the wrong way to go about implementing it. However, I did look at the PR and saw this:
New ling power, affects at melee range and has a very high chem cost.
AoE effect centered on yourself, stuns anyone in melee range for 5, whereas a baton does 7.
This is an ability that is totally awesome that I'd definitely use ingame.
I disagree with the PR as a whole, but I'd just like to say that I think that the ability ideas we tossed around and the one you're implementing are all radical, and you should make another PR with just those.
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #85800

Cheimon wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:Cheimon Rewards for eating other changelings is already in, has been for atleast 8 months if not longer, Manshroom just took it from the absorb proc (since he's removing absorb)
Has it? My bad then, I still don't like it as a concept. I used to love team ling, and then I stopped playing as changeling because it stopped being as fun.
Its been like that as a concept since before team ling. You used to need to eat other lings because there were something like 12 genomes with old absorb and it was the only realistic way to get enough.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #85932

I really lack a detailed explanation of WHY this would be a good change (as with a saddening amount of changes proposed), what are the goals and how does this change achieve those goals?

All this seems to do is make lings gimped unless they murderbone.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #85970

How come we can't make them shapeshifters like they are supposed to be?
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #86569

Reimoo wrote:How come we can't make them shapeshifters like they are supposed to be?
I'm not sure what you mean, transform isnt removed, and with this change the shitty limit on stored identities would be removed.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #86585

Well ling gameplay has never been about stealing identities and creating paranoia. These new changes aren't bad but the shapeshifting gimmick still isn't really useful.

Are you one of them?? is kinda the idea I had in mind.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #86607

Lings don't disguise because it's difficult. You need to kill someone in order to impersonate them well. You need their departmental clothes and ID which isn't something you can easily get from a living person.

Even then, you'll usually still only have one identity at the time because you'll need to carry around the clothes for the other identities if you want a working disguise. Most people just rather carry weapons or other useful stuff in their backpack instead.

You could add an ability that allows you to grow artificial, non functional clothes of the person you stung/absorbed for an instant perfect disguise but which could also easily out you as a ling when they attempt to strip you and realize that the clothes and items you're wearing aren't real.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #86611

Tokiko2 wrote:You could add an ability that allows you to grow artificial, non functional clothes of the person you stung/absorbed for an instant perfect disguise but which could also easily out you as a ling when they attempt to strip you and realize that the clothes and items you're wearing aren't real.
while this is literally the chameleon jumpsuit but for changelings, it's also a great idea since traitors never use it anyways and it has real potential
Spoiler:
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87533

I haven't played it yet, but I have a feeling that lings might be too weak at the start. Like, unfeasibly so to even knock a few people out if you aren't super robust, and, given their numbers (fewer than traitors), it'd probably be a huge uphill battle from the start, and I fear that the rounds will fizzle out quickly.

Secondly, why remove absorb? This just means lings will space corpses immediately instead of leaving them about, and you can't really tell the difference at first sight that 'oh shit, these guys were linged' and not just shot up by a traitor or something.

Other than that, I will have to try it before I pass judgement on it. I kinda like having some antag progression/reward for doing... antagonistic things, so that I like at first glance.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87535

Tokiko2 wrote:You could add an ability that allows you to grow artificial, non functional clothes of the person you stung/absorbed for an instant perfect disguise but which could also easily out you as a ling when they attempt to strip you and realize that the clothes and items you're wearing aren't real.
That's a great idea. It adds both risk and reward to using it. One exception however, I'd say that it'd have to disguise your backpack appropriately to maximize the speed and efficiency of use to make it helpful.

Make it so that the message doesn't appear (it's stuck / etc.) until the item would normally be stripped. Otherwise I could see people trying to strip the entire station to meta it.
RocKeD
Byond Username: Rocked

Post by RocKeD » #87542

This thread should be closed as there is already one for this topic: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3546 and the github page has been closed.