Admin fuckery, or antag settings or something

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
chesquatt
Byond Username: CheSquatt

Admin fuckery, or antag settings or something

Post by chesquatt » #86069

So, I could sugarcoat this in many ways, but I will try really hard to not make this post too informal. I have been in 6 rounds since I returned from my leave of absence. Not in any of the 6 but one has the round lasted longer than 20 minutes without the station being ripped apart by "Events" or by antagonist settings, or something else that might not be in the admin's control (i am not sure which of the three it is, probably not a combination or assortment of the three, however.) But regardless, I have been in Nox rounds that were less back washed and over saturated with unfun "Events" or excessive antag powers, or something. The point is that regardless of what it is, I am noticing a steep increase in destruction for the sake of it. Of the 15 or so people I had on steam who played ss13, none of them still play for this reason.

I guess I don't have a solution, because I'm not sure what the problem is. Any of the mods or admins who know the reasons in the past I have been banned know I am not one to get picky destruction or fuckery in this game, but this is beginning to resemble a playground.

If the problem is admins testing antags for balancing, try doing it in low pop time zones, announce it, or do it on a test server or something.
If the problem is admins having constant shitty events, stop doing that.
If the problem is the wizard "event" ability, you should get rid of that.
If the whole station's population is 100% of the time hell bent on turning the station into the thunderdome, then I guess we are lost.

A round where the station gets destroyed 30 minutes in through incompetence or a really wiley clown is 10000x funner than one where aliums or wizards show up and kill everyone. I got on and 10 minutes in there had visibly been a plasma fire, and everyone was being spawned with swords. Also the floor turned to lava for a good minute. It's not creative, or fun, it's Nox levelof unfun. (at least on Nox the childish tide that destroyed the station is player made, not because an antag or an admin decided to press a button.)
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Re: Admin fuckery, or antag settings or something

Post by ThatSlyFox » #86081

I honestly think antags (besides wizards and ninjas and blobs) are weak as shit. Is it antags bombing that is ending your rounds quickly?

On the admin side of things we are working on pressing buttons less often but do understand a lot of new things have been added recently and everyone wants to test them. With all of us on different time zones we tend to go on press a button get off another dude gets on for the day presses a button gets off etc.

Also I think the round your referring to was a wizard round were the wizard was using events. Events are meh but not pressed too often. I myself wouldn't mind if they got removed honestly. They aren't fun for anyone involved.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #86083

ThatSlyFox wrote:I honestly think antags (besides wizards and ninjas and blobs) are weak as shit. Is it antags bombing that is ending your rounds quickly?

On the admin side of things we are working on pressing buttons less often but do understand a lot of new things have been added recently and everyone wants to test them. With all of us on different time zones we tend to go on press a button get off another dude gets on for the day presses a button gets off etc.

Also I think the round your referring to was a wizard round were the wizard was using events. Events are meh but not pressed too often. I myself wouldn't mind if they got removed honestly. They aren't fun for anyone involved.
They were more fun when they made antags. Now everyone stands around awkwardly with a bunch of guns and cursed swords and waits for the round to end.
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #86095

Not summon items kor, events. The shitty cursed items and lava floor crap. I don't think these ever spawned antags.
chesquatt
Byond Username: CheSquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86103

ThatSlyFox wrote:Not summon items kor, events. The shitty cursed items and lava floor crap. I don't think these ever spawned antags.
Those events are the worst thing ever.
disclaimer though, this could be 100% a problem with just wizard rounds or wizard plus admin events. But for real, less events.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86107

I would like to offer a counterpoint and say basil needs more events. Push buttons over there if you want to push damn buttons, we can only make our own fun so many rounds in a row. PAS ran a kickass there today, it was good fun.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #86151

ThatSlyFox wrote:Not summon items kor, events. The shitty cursed items and lava floor crap. I don't think these ever spawned antags.
Metors, lava floor, rampant brand intelligence etc can all be caused by the wizard spell "Summon events"
(Which imho is incredibly OP and annoying).

I also have to say that I think rounds on Sybil have got increasingly quicker. People call the shuttle at the first glimmer of danger. Engineers tend to be incredibly careless with the singlo. Antags have become loud and very bomb happy and rarely is their any subtly these days. This all helps add to the rounds being shortened.
Honestly I'm not sure what to suggest other than a slight change in behaviour of the playerbase.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #86220

You're never going to get a hundred-odd people to all agree to change the way they play the game. Changes in the behavior of the playerbase have to come from changes to code or policy. Antags play it loud because quiet options are weak, and non-antags call the shuttle immediately because the current round has become boring and they want to see whether the next round will be more interesting (for example, they might roll antag).
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #86503

peoplearestrange wrote:Metors, lava floor, rampant brand intelligence etc can all be caused by the wizard spell "Summon events"
Besides the hilarious intentional shittiness that is the floor is lava, that's not actually true. I divorced the summon events event from the normal events (which rampant brand intelligence and meteors belong to) a long time ago.

And the summon events events are SUPPOSED to be annoying, that's the point of taking the spell, to confuse and distract people as you go about your wizbiz. Also keep in mind that for most summon events events, the wizard is ALSO affected.

But yeah if an admin was pushing wizard events buttons (save for the few harmless ones like greentext) I'd class that as pretty disruptive unless the round was already a laugher.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #86704

Incoming wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:Metors, lava floor, rampant brand intelligence etc can all be caused by the wizard spell "Summon events"
Besides the hilarious intentional shittiness that is the floor is lava, that's not actually true. I divorced the summon events event from the normal events (which rampant brand intelligence and meteors belong to) a long time ago.

And the summon events events are SUPPOSED to be annoying, that's the point of taking the spell, to confuse and distract people as you go about your wizbiz. Also keep in mind that for most summon events events, the wizard is ALSO affected.

But yeah if an admin was pushing wizard events buttons (save for the few harmless ones like greentext) I'd class that as pretty disruptive unless the round was already a laugher.
For me, "summon events" ruins the round and usually I lose interest.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #86711

Something like 20% of rounds end because singuloth escaped. I can't believe it's stayed this way for so long.

There needs to be something the engineers can do to prevent singulostruction if they notice its escape early enough. Or maybe even an engine change. Singulo has been around for a long time and the novelty has worn off, it's just a dry annoyance now when it gets free and the round is automatically over.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #86762

Summon Events is really, really, really bad. I think everyone agrees. I distinctly remember a round after SoS was complaining about it wherein a Wizard decided to go Events x5 and my god it was one of the worst rounds of SS13 I have ever seen. Events were happening every minute or so, with lava floors, random species change, face change, voice change, zombie outbreaks, guns, magic, and traitors. Zaross had a pulse rifle and a necrostone and ran around murderboning and skeletoning people until the shuttle FINALLY came.

Fuck Summon Events.

Wizard x5 summons or x5 contracts is pretty horrid universally. x5 robeless apprentices never fucking forget.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #86764

LNGLY wrote:Something like 20% of rounds end because singuloth escaped. I can't believe it's stayed this way for so long.

There needs to be something the engineers can do to prevent singulostruction if they notice its escape early enough. Or maybe even an engine change. Singulo has been around for a long time and the novelty has worn off, it's just a dry annoyance now when it gets free and the round is automatically over.
I would like to see it replaced with something the engineers actually have to check and isn't a instant shuttle call. Right now, the only reason to check the singulo is to see if someone has fucked with it.

If a admin deleted the singulo generator every round the station would be fine because there are other ways of powering the station, solars(which you can make more of), turbine, supermatter(oh god).
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #86785

Scones wrote:Summon Events is really, really, really bad. I think everyone agrees. I distinctly remember a round after SoS was complaining about it wherein a Wizard decided to go Events x5 and my god it was one of the worst rounds of SS13 I have ever seen. Events were happening every minute or so, with lava floors, random species change, face change, voice change, zombie outbreaks, guns, magic, and traitors. Zaross had a pulse rifle and a necrostone and ran around murderboning and skeletoning people until the shuttle FINALLY came.

Fuck Summon Events.

Wizard x5 summons or x5 contracts is pretty horrid universally. x5 robeless apprentices never fucking forget.
All events from summon events that created antags (except for the doppelganger wizard one where the guy gets no offensive spells) were removed. Event occurrence ramping up with multiple casting was also nerfed pretty hard. The situation you described can't really happen anymore as a result.

Necromantic stone has a bit of a problem because people who get skeletoned get free antag status, which they really shouldn't (they should get more the conditional antag status golems get when they have an antagonist creator).

Also you fucking wot talking shit about the five apprentice shuffle round, that was hilarious.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #86803

What if engineers had more space to set up the engine so instead of the standard containment field, they could set up a more robust containment field?

Oh wait that takes work and we can't have engineers having to do any actual work.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86857

You're implying these engineers won't fuck up the second containment. Because believe you me, they will.

I've rarely seen any engineering project touch the engine and leave the station intact.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: