NanoUI

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

NanoUI

Post by Fayrik » #87051

Recently I fought the odds, and some horrendous code to port NanoUI on to Air Alarms (and some other atmospheric equipment).
Now, I'd like some feedback on it.
What's it like using a NanoUI air alarm? Is it an improvement or a step backwards?
Also, are there any other interfaces that could direly use the real-time updates that NanoUI provides?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: NanoUI

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #87053

Fayrik wrote:Recently I fought the odds, and some horrendous code to port NanoUI on to Air Alarms (and some other atmospheric equipment).
Now, I'd like some feedback on it.
What's it like using a NanoUI air alarm? Is it an improvement or a step backwards?
Also, are there any other interfaces that could direly use the real-time updates that NanoUI provides?
I don't like it on handheld tanks, because if you're using those you're almost always wanting to be really, really quick about it, and NanoUI isn't always as responsive as the old style things.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #87058

The Genetics UI could use a little love. Right now its really confusing with the SE and UE blocks right next to eachother. Separating them would be nice.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #87079

I find it quite the improvement, especially the live monitoring. You should add more NanoUI things. Airlock interfaces, Communications console, Crew monitor, maybe the Botcall interface...
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #87080

It's an improvement, but some times the buttons are stubborn and don't do anything. Might be lag, might be the UI.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #87085

Could you NanoUI the Sec camera console?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #87126

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I don't like it on handheld tanks, because if you're using those you're almost always wanting to be really, really quick about it, and NanoUI isn't always as responsive as the old style things.
Yeah, this. I generally like expanded UIs like this but on things you might need to change in a pinch like air tanks or airlock hacking panels I'd rather have an uglier but more responsive interface.
Regardless, I think it's really neat, and on things like air canisters it looks really pretty.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #87188

Alex Crimson wrote:Could you NanoUI the Sec camera console?
Would that be a good thing? Right now camera consoles have the advantage of being able to zip to any camera you want by pressing the first letter of the name. With a few exceptions (any place beginning with e) it means you can get to the right camera fairly fast if you know its name.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #87265

I've definitely noticed an upswing in the number of canisters being left open after removing a tank. Fiddling with air alarms is also more difficult now because you need to doublecheck to make sure that all your clicks have gone through. It looks nice and all, but responsiveness is important.
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #87383

You'll all be glad to know I've begun work on a fixworkaround*, that should increase the responsiveness in situations where there isn't much data displayed. Such as canisters and air tanks.
(I've run out of time to finish it today though, it'll be in a PR soon though, I promise.)

I'd also like to remind everyone that NanoUI isn't about looks it's about being able to relay and display information faster.
Making things pretty can be achieved in other ways, but it's not much use when the information you need isn't there.
Arete wrote:I've definitely noticed an upswing in the number of canisters being left open after removing a tank.
I doubt you can really attribute that to the NanoUI switch, that sort of accident arises from carelessness, which is persistent regardless of how well input is registered.
Alex Crimson wrote:The Genetics UI could use a little love. Right now its really confusing with the SE and UE blocks right next to eachother. Separating them would be nice.
The DNA modification console isn't using NanoUI, NanoUI interfaces are the ones with the little eyeball in the top left.

As for the suggestions to make new NanoUI interfaces, they're going to have to go on the back burner for now, I'm currently trying to improve the interfaces and systems that already exist, before I add more.
(Also, note to self (for when I get around to it): Someone requested I make Space Heaters use NanoUI as well.)
RocKeD
Byond Username: Rocked

Post by RocKeD » #87547

Me playing virology a lot recently, noticed that the pandemic machine could use a new graphical upgrade. Has anyone else noticed that after using the pandemic machine a LOT the window slowly moves down after every use? Occasionally I will have to drag the window back in place as it will go below the active screen to where you can't see half of it anymore.
Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #87721

Everyone can now check out my next update here!
RocKeD wrote:Has anyone else noticed that after using the pandemic machine a LOT the window slowly moves down after every use?
All the pop ups do this, it's a Windows "feature", I'm not really sure if we can stop it from happening, but if it doesn't happen to the NanoUI interfaces, then perhaps moving to NanoUI is the solution here.
RocKeD
Byond Username: Rocked

Post by RocKeD » #87809

Fayrik wrote: All the pop ups do this, it's a Windows "feature", I'm not really sure if we can stop it from happening, but if it doesn't happen to the NanoUI interfaces, then perhaps moving to NanoUI is the solution here.
I guess I have never really noticed it as I never spam windows like that haha.