Locked Nukeop Hardsuits

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Locked Nukeop Hardsuits

Post by PKPenguin321 » #87551

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheridan wrote:yelling for a revert ignores the original problems.
There were no "original problems" pertaining to explosive implants. Firing pins, for the most part, was a great PR; it solved the issue of ops being able to get disarmed and shot with their own gun at any moment, and added another level of dynamics to guns from R&D.

However, for some asinine reason (perhaps you felt you needed to counterbalance the buff to ops from giving them unlootable guns?), it also removed explosive implants which have essentially no issue (except for "muh rp," which has already been taken as a non-issue since "gameplay > rp" in terms of importance). IIRC, even in the original PR, people were saying not to remove explosive implants. This change didn't solve any "original problem" (as you put it). Instead, it created several new problems, such as ops being loot pinatas (it didn't even solve the pseudo-issue of "muh rp" since people kill ops relentlessly anyways).

Then, to solve these new problems, unremovable nuke op hardsuits were added, which added even more problems and still failed to solve the ones caused by removing explosive implants. Now ops can't even heal each other! And what's the solution being proposed? Not a revert, no! We're going to allow op hardsuits to be healed through, which will just result in the crew attacking ops with patches of chlorine trisulfurate or whatever the fuck the fire chemical is called. This is another problem that will be created if we keep denying reverting the change to op's explosive implants.

"But they still have implants!" Yes, for several TC, which is a limited and valuable resource that the ops will have better spent elsewhere. "But it's worth it, it's the same explosion radius as a minibomb!" If it's really, truly worth the exchange for the limited, valuable, round-driving force of Telecrystals, why is it that nobody buys them? Also, it doesn't have the same explosion radius, where'd you get that idea?
Cheridan wrote:Hm. I based them off the explosions that blob-welderbombs do which always seemed pretty destructive. The size can be made bigger easily.
So you're considering not a revert, but yet another change which will create more issues down the line. ("Other op used an explosive implant and it killed the rest of the ops instantly when he died near them! Explosive implants aren't worth the TC for the damage they do!")

Your points for the original change are moot, and your solutions for the new issues the original change caused is to create more changes that will just cause more issues down the line.
Seriously consider just reverting the removal of explosive implants.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #87572

lumipharon wrote:The same reason you can't eat through a mask. Unless you're a snowflake clown/mime. Or unless you're eating a hivelord core.
Doesn't really have anything to do with nukeops. Let's get back on topic, please.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's clear that most community members don't appreciate what you've done, nobody is ever going to BUY explosive implants for fucking roleplay purposes when they are already struggling to win more than 25% of rounds.
Sounds like nuke ops need more telecrystals then.
lumipharon wrote:And with regards to having explosive implants as a purchasable item, you could apply the same logic to nvg's, agent cards and stechkins, shotguns, pinpointers - anything that they get for free. Start the ops naked, just lots of tc's. It gives them more freedom, right?
As long as it was accompanied with an appropriate increase in available telecystals, nvg's and possibly the agent cards would be prime candidate for needing to be purchased. I think what people are angry about with current nuke flops is that they were strictly speaking nerfed because the amount of available telecrystals remained the same but gained a new expense. Which would be fair if they were powerful, but their winrate was fairly low last I checked.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #87582

Giving them more telecrystals solves nothing.

People still wont buy explosive implants because that's still investing in losing.
Instead, people will buy more syndie borgs, mechs and e-shields.

Explosive implans were base level kit with an extremely clear purpose and function. They filled this role perfectly - it's literally click a button, you can't get more simple then that.
Cheridan changed this, saying that 'they weren't even effective anyway', removin them from the starting equipment and replacing it first with nothing, then with superglue lined hardsuits, which still do not achieve the same purpose, and with less functionality.

Like this is honestly really clear cut.

Item A performed function X.
Item A was replaced by item B.
Item by does not perform function X.

Why are we still using B?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #87583

Increasing Nuke Ops starting TC's is a bad idea, if you give them too much then, as I described the last time someone brought it up, the ops can simply buy C20rs and Energy Shields for every single Op with room to spare, and I can tell you that five Nuke Operatives with a robust SMG, a Energy Shield and equipment to boot is very damn powerful (maybe too powerful).

The absolute fact of the matter is that the original change made by Cheridan was a solution to a non-exsistant problem and despite continual and repeated calls to revert the change, he steadfast refuses to do so.

I would be more than happy to revert the change myself (and even knock back the massive buff explosive implants got to their explosive radius), but I know odds are that PR will get closed.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #87724

Steelpoint wrote: I would be more than happy to revert the change myself (and even knock back the massive buff explosive implants got to their explosive radius), but I know odds are that PR will get closed.
Cheridan would he refuses to yield that his original idea was shit and continually tries to justify it. He and Paprika are one and the same
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #87797

Bombadil wrote:
Steelpoint wrote: I would be more than happy to revert the change myself (and even knock back the massive buff explosive implants got to their explosive radius), but I know odds are that PR will get closed.
Cheridan would he refuses to yield that his original idea was shit and continually tries to justify it. He and Paprika are one and the same
Paprika confirmed for Cheridan alt.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87802

Bombadil wrote:
Crackpot theories for 1000, Alex. Are you sure they aren't just clones or anti-fun androids?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #87803

I'll make a break for freedom once the codefreeze is open and give nukers back their implants, lower the size, and let them buy for like 8TC the tunguska implant which does exactly what it sounds like it does.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #87806

Tunguska Implant should be near a max cap bomb but there's a 5 second warning.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87808

Tunguska implant should summon a 'completely random' fuck-huge meteor to the implantee's location, obviously.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #87815

Liquid dark matter + Blackpowder would make for a hilarious suicide implant set.
LDM sucks in anyone nearby, and then the blackpowder (since it's reaction is delayed) will blow them all up.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #87818

You could place some free explosive implants on the shuttle. Then the ops can choose if they want to explode or if they want to try and defib their fallen teammates.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87820

Precisely what I suggested, and probably going to be ignored all the same.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #87831

That doesn't address other issues the change created - like the OP's original complaint, that you can't heal fellow ops through their suits other then the useless combat hypo.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #87845

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'll make a break for freedom once the codefreeze is open and give nukers back their implants, lower the size, and let them buy for like 8TC the tunguska implant which does exactly what it sounds like it does.
Yeah I bet Cheridan won't close that PR.

You think him vehemently defending himself here won't translate to defending his actions on github? It'll be closed before 24 hours. DO NOT REVERT MY HARD WORK AND GLORIOUS IDEALS I AM GREAT LEADER

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #87850

Bombadil this is not your code.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #87945

Tokiko2 wrote:You could place some free explosive implants on the shuttle. Then the ops can choose if they want to explode or if they want to try and defib their fallen teammates.
That would be retarded. If they're going to get implants, they should spawn with them. Having them available isn't a "choice" because strictly speaking it's better to use them than not use them.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #87947

Doesn't matter either way, crew will still mow down ops.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #87966

I have to say this is also extremely annoying when dealing with regular traitors who ordered the suit by uplink, you kill them but can't check their identity in any way.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #87991

How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" this shit upon people, but it's ok for people to force explosive implants upon me?

It's awesome that your opinion is worth more than mine!!
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #88009

Cheridan wrote:How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" this shit upon people, but it's ok for people to force explosive implants upon me?

And what makes your opinion worth more than everyone else's?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88010

You can literally remove explosive implants with the full surgery kit you are provided with on the ship, if you exploding on death is such an issue.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #88016

Cheridan wrote:How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" this shit upon people, but it's ok for people to force explosive implants upon me?

Except you removed something that was already a part of the game against the will of the community, which implies you believe your opinion trumps that of the majority of the server. Given that the server is community funded, I'm inclined to believe that the community should have the final say.

Also, you can use the logic you emplaced there for anything. It's worthless as an argument.

> How is it I'm the bad guy for 'forcing' slowspace upon people, but it's ok for people to force fastspace upon me
> How is it I'm the bad guy for 'forcing' mute borgs upon people, but it's ok for people to force talking borgs upon me
> How is it I'm the bad guy for 'forcing' goonchem upon people, but it's ok for people to force trekchem upon me
And so on. Interesting of note, the inverted 'argument' is just as effective.
> How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" explosive implants upon people, but it's ok for people to force locked hardsuits and no implants upon me?

Just listen to yourself, christ. You're literally whining that 'I want things my waaaaaaaaaay!' like a petulant child, by changing what has been for years for something that no one wants but yourself, and complaining that everyone is forcing the old ways upon you.

I can't tell if you're being worse than Pap or not.
Last edited by Amelius on Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #88017

Easy. Give them all explosive implanters in their bag that way YOU can choose not to. Christ its that simple.

But if you die in nukeops I really doubt your ass is going to be defibbed since... hardsuits are locked and to defib you need to remove exosuits OH WAIT THEY ARE LOCKED. But hey if you use sulphuric acid on the helmet it melts off!

Also the majority think we should get implants back.

Amelius wrote: I can't tell if you're being worse than Pap or not.
Pap and Cheridan were always close. They are practically one and the same... Remember when Paprika tried to remove the Greytide Sign for the Bar?

Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #88018

Amelius wrote: Except you removed something that was already a part of the game against the will of the community, which implies you believe your opinion trumps that of the majority of the server. Given that the server is community funded, I'm inclined to believe that the community should have the final say.
Incoming "but the codebase is a separate entity from the server" argument, despite sharing both the same name and forums, using the server as a testing bed for their changes, and having a say in the headmin elections.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #88019

Amelius wrote:

Except you removed something that was already a part of the game against the will of the community, which implies you believe your opinion trumps that of the majority of the server. Given that the server is community funded, I'm inclined to believe that the community should have the final say.
NOTE: Cheridan will remind us of HG's speech about CODERBUS AND /tg/station are absolutely seperate and that they are not coding for /tg/ station which is a crock of shit.

or

I'm the developer I know better than you. I don't play as much as you but explosive implants were totally unbalanced HURRRR

Edit: Konork you mah bro

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88022

Can we not do the anti coderbus shitfest?

Literally nothing useful comes from it, no matter how right you might think you are.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #88023

Oh man I don't think I could do a parody of shitty coderbus logic better than that.

Explosive implants apply, if you don't want them, only when you die. If you're dead as nukeop you're fucking gone for good - implant or not. Why is your obsession with having an intact corpse more important than the dozens of people in OOC and this thread who have expressed opposition to locked hardsuits and the removal of explosive implants.

Aside from all the fucking balance issues we've raised, it was bloody ICONIC - and if you don't understand what that means then you shouldn't be deciding what's part of the /tg/station code or not.

@Lumi:

Only thing that gets a reaction from coderbus is the giant hatetrain. Post a polite, orderly thread and expect it to get ignored or simply get a polite "I disagree" from the responsible coder and watch as the thread fades into irrelevance. Give players a way to actually influence or have control on what code gets forced down their throat and you might see more dignified communications. Until then we basically have to call out individual coders here until they're forced to come here and defend themselves and hopefully in the process of embarassing themselves with shitty justifications for their changes they will step back and revert what they've done. It's literally the ONLY way I see things reverted on /tg/station.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #88032

i have some planned explosive implant changes that should be a win/win for everyone
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #88063

Amelius wrote:Words
Server=/=Code absolute division blah blah literally bullshit nobody believes
Given that the server is community funded, I'm inclined to believe that the community should have the final say.
If a single person uses crowdfunding as an excuse ever they should probably fuck themselves. Especially if they don't pay a cent. Donating to the patreon gives nobody ever any privilege on the server. yet
iamgoofball wrote:i have some planned explosive implant changes that should be a win/win for everyone
Don't forget the autocloner boards for 20tc.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Erisian
Byond Username: Erisian

Post by Erisian » #88142

Is that a joke? You are one person. The server and people who comprise it is far more than one person. If most of the people do not like this change, then yes, it is forcing it upon them. You are not special and your opinion is worth no more than theirs. Yet there are more complaining about this change than people who support this change. So, their opinion is worth more than yours simply for the fact that you are one person with one opinion and they are many people with one opinion. Why should your will and fun be heeded over that of everyone else? You don't play on the server alone.

The mindset you just promoted, assuming it isn't a joke, is that of a toddler before they really understand other people and their feelings. Yes, sometimes you may like a change and find it fun. I get that. But you can't always get what you want. And you might say "well, that goes for the people against my idea too!", and you'd be correct. However, players keep the server alive. They're the main lifeblood of the community. What they find fun is far more important than an idea you came up with and feel the need to force upon them. It is not all about you when you share this server with many other people. And those many find your change to be unfun and unconductive towards either realism or fun gameplay.

Knowing all of that, why would you then continue to force it on people? Do you honestly believe that what YOU want trumps what a large portion of the community wants? I thought you guys coded because you cared about the community and wanted to make it more fun for everyone involved; so to see you all but say you don't give a shit about people who dislike the idea is a little odd.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #88274

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #88302

You're misunderstanding.

Old:
Everyone has to have explosive implants. People who don't want them can't opt out.

Current:
Everyone has the option to have explosive implants. People who don't want them can have them, people who don't want them can opt out.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #88303

Old
Explosive implants were weak and standard issue, the explosion would only gib the operative and knock down anyone standing adjacent to the operative.

Current
Explosives implants are powerful but not standard issue, the explosion is sufficient to kill or badly maim anyone within several tiles. Implants cost Telecystals to buy.

If the implants were free and given to the Ops at round start in their hands/pockets then it would be fine.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88305

MisterPerson wrote:You're misunderstanding.

Old:
Everyone has to have explosive implants. People who don't want them can't opt out.
People who didn't want explosive implants could frankly fuck right off. Letting the crew have your loot when you went down was tantamount to griefing your team.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88316

People who don't want them can surgically remove the fucking things.
Erisian
Byond Username: Erisian

Post by Erisian » #88336

Old:

Current:
Everyone has the option to have explosive implants. People who don't want them can have them, people who don't want them can opt out.
And nobody is wasting TC on buying them. When you're an op, it's not like real life where if you busted in with guns blazing people are going to run and flee. On SS13 everyone and their mother rushes down to where they heard you were in the hopes of killing you and looting you. So, you NEED those tools in order to survive and buying an implant is just a waste of crystals. Not to mention Cheridan's logic behind this change is fucked in the first place. Why would you need an "opt out" of explosive implants when you're working for an entity that cares even less about life than Nanotrasen and you're supposed to be hardened operatives that die by blowing up to deny NT and their crew the chance to examine/use their gear and tech?

Maybe Cheridan wants to be a special snowflake operative who "RPs" with the crew, but I'd rather him have an explosive implant for when he's inevitably killed for being a dumbass and trying to roleplay his way out of the HoS shooting him in the face with a laser. How out of touch are coders with this game anyway?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #88340

You know you only hurt your own argument when you claim we're out of touch, so stop.
私は完璧
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #88357

Remie Richards wrote:You know you only hurt your own argument when you claim we're out of touch, so stop.
Does it really? When community speaks about bad changes and there's a refusal to change based on arrogance or "Just do yourself." Does that not imply the coders are out of touch?
Not to mention this right here proves a point.
Old:

Current:
The old way it was the fact nobody cared when they were an Op because it was never a concern that your gear would get lifted unless you dropped a bag or someone found your bag or you had dropped it by accident
The current system seems to force ops to pay for something that was an active denial system to the crew. I'm sure everyone has played an Ops round where the crew got a hold of their CR20 at one point and ended up paying the price for it. So why take the only thing that prevented them from getting your loot?

It spreads about an air of "Why do the coders make these changes that nobody ever asked for at all?" and "Why do they refuse to revert these changes nobody ever wanted when made?"
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #88361

I think this is honestly pretty fucking dumb in that such an overwhelming majority has condemned the change, in the thread, in OOC, in IRC, pointing out the myriad of issues with it - And yet Cheridan refuses to budge on accepting that maybe, it was in fact a bad change.

Don't get me wrong I don't think there's an evil coder conspiracy but this is just a pretty impressively shit lack of accountability.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #88362

All aboard the "The community should decide if changes stay or not, not the coder who made it" train!

Seriously this keeps happening. Some coder makes a change that they thought was good, and will viciously defend their precious perfect baby from all the mean players who want to kill it.

Plus Cheridan, your rationale for keeping this is awful. Coders should have an express interest in improving the server with NEW THINGS, not removing features because "I don't like them!"

So yeah, ban remove this filth
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #88400

Konork wrote:

I never said it was. But people seem to have the idea that my opinion is worth LESS. As a player my opinion is dismissed, if people do not agree with me its "those fucking coders are trying to cram things we don't want again!"
The fact that everyone has interpreted this as me saying my opinion is superior is very telling of this bias.

All I have done is defend this change AND WHY WOULDN'T I? I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT IF I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA
and somehow I am literally paprika
Bombadil wrote: Easy. Give them all explosive implanters in their bag that way YOU can choose not to. Christ its that simple.
For the last time, IF THE IMPLANTS ARE FREE, THEY ARE NOT OPTIONAL. You will be expected to use them, your teammates will harass you until you've "remembered" to put them in, possibly force implanting you.
Oldman Robustin wrote: Aside from all the fucking balance issues we've raised, it was bloody ICONIC
This is not an argument for keeping something.
And if it was, guess what! You're still wrong!! Maybe you're enough of a newfag that they're iconic to you, but to me they are a recent hugbox addition.

PS this thread has gone down the shtiter and since i am apparently literally paprika I am going to do the paprika thing and ignore this thread now.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
RG4

Post by RG4 » #88407

Cheridan wrote: All I have done is defend this change AND WHY WOULDN'T I? I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT IF I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA
Cheridan wrote:For the last time, IF THE IMPLANTS ARE FREE, THEY ARE NOT OPTIONAL. You will be expected to use them, your teammates will harass you until you've "remembered" to put them in, possibly force implanting you.

Considering the following:
1. While you can defend your code change, many players have offered several counter points to why it shouldn't have been changed in the first place.
2. Just because you're a coder doesn't mean you can automatically assume what's best for the player base.
3. If there are more people who agree with your code change then they would be in this thread. Sadly there is hardly anyone in this on your side which explains the hostilities.
4. Paprika was and is still a massive douche canoe, who didn't take kindly to player criticism at all and usually brush off legit complaints. You're starting to acting like that because you have a tide of players who hate the change you brought and are bringing up real reasons to do away with your baby.
5. Most rational nuke ops who are presented a box of implants will inject them. Why? Because when confronted the other Ops will tell them that it'll deny the crew getting their sweet gear, in which Ops will see as reasonable and inject themselves.
Cheridan wrote:PS this thread has gone down the shtiter and since i am apparently literally paprika I am going to do the paprika thing and ignore this thread now.
Stated in the above reasons. Players don't like your change, and you're not going to man up and say "Well yeah I fucked up in making this." avoiding it won't help you.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #88413

Cheridan wrote:
Konork wrote:

I never said it was. But people seem to have the idea that my opinion is worth LESS. As a player my opinion is dismissed, if people do not agree with me its "those fucking coders are trying to cram things we don't want again!"
The fact that everyone has interpreted this as me saying my opinion is superior is very telling of this bias.

All I have done is defend this change AND WHY WOULDN'T I? I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT IF I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA
Bombadil wrote: Easy. Give them all explosive implanters in their bag that way YOU can choose not to. Christ its that simple.
For the last time, IF THE IMPLANTS ARE FREE, THEY ARE NOT OPTIONAL. You will be expected to use them, your teammates will harass you until you've "remembered" to put them in, possibly force implanting you.
Oldman Robustin wrote: Aside from all the fucking balance issues we've raised, it was bloody ICONIC
This is not an argument for keeping something.
And if it was, guess what! You're still wrong!! Maybe you're enough of a newfag that they're iconic to you, but to me they are a recent kickin' rad place to be addition.

PS this thread has gone down the shtiter and since i am apparently literally paprika I am going to do the paprika thing and ignore this thread now.
They were ways to deny gear and were the best at it. If you die in nuke ops. YOUR PRETTY MUCH DEAD FOREVER. SO WHY ARE THE FUCKING EXPLOSIVE IMPLANTS BAD? Before they got buffed after your removal they only did tile damage and knocked people out nearby and gibbed the corpse of the implantee. The locked hardsuits prevent you from healing a team mate from death. Now if we had the old system for explosive implants we can save them before they die and explode. In the system we have now no defib, no healing other than bandages which nuke ops dont have access to and no cryo.

Oh wait your ignoring the thread now. I can't wait for you to throw a bitch fit when people introduce their prs to implement explosive implants back into nuke ops and you throw an UTTER BITCHFIT closing the prs while Miauw attempts to reopen them and you close them repeatedly.

But hey atleast the Community can provide counterpoints to your utter unwillingness to give a reasonable explanation for why implants are bad when the evidence clearly points us to the fact that implants were good and if you got downed with an implant you had a chance to survive unlike now

Edit: Cheridans glorious explanation is MUH RP
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #88416

Bombadil wrote: Why do you not like explosive implants? EXPLAIN IT
try reading the thread
also wow
RG4

Post by RG4 » #88417

Cheridan wrote:
Bombadil wrote: Why do you not like explosive implants? EXPLAIN IT
try reading the thread
also wow
Bomb don't be overly hostile.
Cheridan you have several veteran players for example Steelpoint and OMR who give reasonable evidence that this was never needed and provide conclusive examples of how explosive implants benefited nukes ops. Your examples are most quote. "Roleplay and gameplay freedom." which I've never heard any Op ever complained that their bodies exploded denying the crew their game. While Ops can ID their ops buddies, the fact is that when OldOps died they didn't worry about everything they had being in the dirty ape hands of the station monkies. While I've seen people who've lost bags and guns at times it usually was only a token few who had them.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #88423

Cheri put up a PR that changes implants down to 4 TC, disallows you from injecting things through op's hardsuits (when in combat mode), and removes hardsuits being unremovable.

I'm really trying to be respectful here. I think Cheridan is an asset to the codebase. But please, Cheridan, despite all the shit-flinging going on in this thread, there are a lot of legitimate points that outweigh or outright disprove points for making explosive implants not free like they used to be. I know it's not easy to read post after post of criticisms, but I implore you to try and extract the valid points and truly consider them. A majority of people here want this reverted; don't you think they must have a reason for that?

Aside from that, hardsuit locking does need to go, and this PR does do that, but it's not replaced with anything worthwhile (like free implants). It boils down to "spend 20 TC on certain items or you're fucked." This would effectively accomplish the same result as if we had just never removed implants from ops, but instead nerfed them by making them have 20 less TC at roundstart (which nobody would have supported). Ops do not need another nerf.
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #88424

This thread is turning into a screaming match about explosive implants, which isn't the point. The point is that locked op hardsuits have managed to nerf both the ops (can't heal others, very helpful in combat) and the crew (can't fight back). What was wrong with implants with a TC cost? If not enough people were using them, lower the TC cost -- traitor won't be affected much as it is only useful there for DIE A GLORIOUS DEATH or creative traitoring.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #88426

bandit wrote:This thread is turning into a screaming match about explosive implants, which isn't the point. The point is that locked op hardsuits have managed to nerf both the ops (can't heal others, very helpful in combat) and the crew (can't fight back). What was wrong with implants with a TC cost? If not enough people were using them, lower the TC cost -- traitor won't be affected much as it is only useful there for DIE A GLORIOUS DEATH or creative traitoring.
The main issue is that without hardsuit locking, the ops don't have anything to completely deny the crew their gear, unless they spend 20-25 TC. This effectively nerfs ops by giving them less tc at roundstart (unless they want to pass up on buying implants and lose almost guaranteed).
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88427

Because no matter how cheap you make it, the implant is still ony useful when you're defeated. Therefore anything else is a better use of your TC's, since they help you win.

Paying tc's planning to lose vs paying tc's planning to win.

Implants are relevent to the OP because the hardsuit problem only arose because they no longer have implants, thus had to make their hardsuits unremovable (which doesn't actually work).

Also Cheri no one is saying your opinion is worth less then anyone elses.
The difference?

There is a hell of a lot of people that disagree with you, and very few people that agree with you.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #88566

Removing locked hardsuits was a needed change, but this doesn't fix the core problem that you are in denial about.

No one will EVER buy explosive implants because they cost TC. TC is your lifeblood, and the only reason you'd ever buy an implant, is if you're planning on having your team die (similar to how you'd never buy one as a traitor - you're effectively planning your own death). Otherwise, it's rationally ALWAYS better to spend your TC on equipment to help everyone survive.

Your central concern is that nuke op teams would pressure each other into injecting themselves with explosive implants, why is that a fucking concern in the first place? It entails that everyone on the team would believe that it's a good idea and can back it up, so you're effectively aquiescing that you know explosive implants are exclusively a beneficial instrument for the operatives. If they're exclusively a beneficial instrument by your own charge, then how can you justify removing a crucial given, from an antag with a sub-25% winrate, when it was never a concern for anyone but yourself? As others have said, that may as well be a flat 20 TC nerf if you wanted explosive implants, or a straight nerf with no replacement, by your own admission. You claim it's for roleplaying purposes, but I have yet to see anyone, crew and op alike, bother roleplaying in an op round, or, in the latter case, cloning and/or not killing an operative in any circumstance.

In other words, you're delusional, just like Pap. You're even acting like him by disregarding the thread, and acting like a child, entailing that your own opinion outweighs that of the entire community. Your change is shit, and your attitude is shit.