Sleepypens suck massive cock

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Sleepypens suck massive cock

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93375

They went from arguably the most broken item for traitors to the shittiest shit that ever shat. I generally like to keep my OP unbiased in the feedback forum, but holy shit sleepypens suck fucking butts. You can jab someone with it and they can taze you, cuff you, deconstruct a table, build a chair, buckle you, PDA someone for help, write their autobiography in pen three times, guess every possible combination on your PDA to break into your uplink, travel to every known area of the entire universe and back, have a family and grow old before the sleepypen FINALLY kicks in and they fall asleep, and before you can resist out of the chair they'll be awake already.

On top of that, they're one-use items with a tell once they're used ("You feel a tiny dick!") that's unique to them so they're hardly stealthy, and buying them costs 4 telecrystals (that's one fifth of your TC wasted on what's essentially a pen full of diarrhea).

I know everybody hates the old "parapen+c4 to win" thing but holy fuck sleepypens are the worst thing in the entire fucking game and need some kind of buff.

fuck
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Sleepypens suck massive cock

Post by Scones » #93376

YOU FEEL LIKE YOU TOOK TOO MUCH MORPHINE

They should have their own Chemical that just puts you to sleep, I think the Morphine OD is a really hilarious workaround
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #93452

I laughed and I agree.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #93481

Sorry to use oldchems as my examples, not caught up fully in that job, but I always thought a death pen would be more interesting, Specifically, A lexorin overdose, Which if you recall prevented breathing, but didn't slow you down or prevent you from screaming your bloody head off about your location or inability to breathe for like.. a bit over a full minute. Maybe if it killed slightly slower and your only good chance was high dose of the Dexalin equivalent could save you

situationally it could be a powerful asset, and it's not a KO or stun, so it's really not that big a deal in and of itself.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #93489

I agree with this. The only good feature of a sleepypen is the fact that it mutes people.

But that is completely outclassed by the EMP kit which costs 1 TC more but includes a infinitely reuseable 1 tile EMP flashlight that lets you disable someone's radio and also comes with an implant and 2 EMP grenades.

What about trying the refillable chempen again? Keep in mind that the rag is already ingame and does something very similar and yet nobody seems to consider it overpowered.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #93498

damp rag is hilarious.

I muted my target in the open corridor, but he ran before I could ebow him.

For the next 10 minutes, he ran aroun in public spaced, unable to call for help (he'd thrown his pda away earlier), as I ran after he reapplying the mute.
He even got a hold of a pen and paper, but I stole the pen, and eventually stunned and cuffed him.

But yeah, sleepy pens are shit compared to emp kit.
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #93721

Not to mention that morphine has a beneficial side-effect, allowing the target to flee the scene more easily.

Sleepypen could use some work. It uses tirizine, which is apparently a stamina-damaging toxin exclusive to sleepypens? Tirizene could easily be modified and it wouldn't have any practical effect on chemistry as a whole. Just remove morphine and buff the tirizene to do something more useful to the traitor. The 'you feel a tiny prick' message could also be removed, making the effects more similar to a changeling's sting in that you have to watch for the toxin's effects instead of receiving a big fat text warning. Depends on how balanced the toxin is, though.

Refillable sleepypens would be fun, but might also be stupidly overpowered in the hands of a competent chemist or scientist (or hilariously enough, botanist). It'd add some fun uses to the traitor toxin kit, though.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #93741

Babin wrote:Not to mention that morphine has a beneficial side-effect, allowing the target to flee the scene more easily.

Sleepypen could use some work. It uses tirizine, which is apparently a stamina-damaging toxin exclusive to sleepypens? Tirizene could easily be modified and it wouldn't have any practical effect on chemistry as a whole. Just remove morphine and buff the tirizene to do something more useful to the traitor. The 'you feel a tiny prick' message could also be removed, making the effects more similar to a changeling's sting in that you have to watch for the toxin's effects instead of receiving a big fat text warning. Depends on how balanced the toxin is, though.

Refillable sleepypens would be fun, but might also be stupidly overpowered in the hands of a competent chemist or scientist (or hilariously enough, botanist). It'd add some fun uses to the traitor toxin kit, though.
>Get toxins kit
>Get refillable sleepypen
>RIP: The station
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #93776

Bombadil wrote:
Babin wrote:Not to mention that morphine has a beneficial side-effect, allowing the target to flee the scene more easily.

>Get toxins kit
Nothing wrong with that mate. What, as soon as someone says over the radio that they were pricked and now they're dying of oxyloss, you aren't going to start arresting the chemist running around with a pen out, or even ask them who passed them when they were pricked? I mean come on, you can't count on people having Down's syndrome and not being able to identify these things.

Make it refillable. It'd actually be pretty cool in the right hands, and maybe it'll help make traitors actually be fearsome forces on the station.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93791

Bombadil wrote:

>Get toxins kit
>Get toxins kit
>Jab a nerd
>"You feel a tiny fucking shit!"
>"HELP HE'S GOT A SLEEPYPEN TRAITOR HE"
>that, or they run around for a few million years due to sleepy pens sucking massive cock and get help/disable you in some way
>Security dogpiles on you
Spoiler:
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #93807

Bombadil wrote:

>Get toxins kit
If you think that's unfair, just imagine if there was a refillable, ranged chempen that spawns in medbay storage and costs 0 TC. The entire station would be wiped out if a traitor had access to that.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #93819

>get tk and xray
>tk a pen and stab people randomly in the corridor when they pass other people
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #93834

Tokiko2 wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

>Get toxins kit
If you think that's unfair, just imagine if there was a refillable, ranged chempen that spawns in medbay storage and costs 0 TC. The entire station would be wiped out if a traitor had access to that.
Did you know that research can make an automatic version of that? Including one that synthesises its own chemicals?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #93874

DemonFiren wrote:
Tokiko2 wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

>Get toxins kit
Did you know that research can make an automatic version of that? Including one that synthesises its own chemicals?
I miss neurotoxin syringes.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #98473

bumping because fuck sleepypens (and also because it's still an issue)
Spoiler:
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #98505

I tried using a sleepy pen a little bit ago without knowing how awful they are now. What's the point of using them now? No instant knockdown, not refillable to not be worthless and they might as well be overt with the message it gives.
lol
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #98507

They might actually be balanced again if that tiny prick message got removed.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #98515

Add a chemical that makes people confused.

Last time someone used one on me I was able to run straight to medbay and still had time to futile point at the chemist, trying to get to the dumb bastard to help me, for over two minutes.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #98629

I made a pull request to reduce morphine amounts below the overdose level so it doesn't blow your cover. The timing to take effect is only 30 seconds, I don't think it's too much given that the victim is mute and very quickly slowed down before going unconscious for a long time and being completely at your mercy.

I also don't think the "you feel a tiny prick" message needs to go, all pens do that and there's zero way to distinguish a sleepy pen from a regular pen so it's easy to deny everything. The message does force you to not be obvious when attacking your target.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #98654

CosmicScientist wrote: Can't you still use an empty/full syringe on it to get the message that mentions it's not something you can put reagents/take reagents from?
The uplink description already mentions that it is one use only.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #98672

phil235 wrote:I also don't think the "you feel a tiny prick" message needs to go, all pens do that and there's zero way to distinguish a sleepy pen from a regular pen so it's easy to deny everything. The message does force you to not be obvious when attacking your target.
>get jabbed
>try to speak and cannot
this pushes "trying to speak after getting jabbed by a pen" forward as a meta and i'd rather just not have the tiny prdick message than having a traitor item that is still shitty be so easily countered
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #98786

Does that mean normal pens are also getting untinypricked?

Because there goes all my fun as mime: Pricking people with normal pens, dropping a wall, then running away.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #98794

I didn't have much problems with nerfed pen. You just have to be more considerate, prick in more secluded areas if you can, and try to stop your target from running too far away. Disarming, tabling helps.

I don't mind it. It's not an instant kill anymore, even without c4.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #98797

Lumbermancer wrote:I didn't have much problems with nerfed pen. You just have to be more considerate, prick in more secluded areas if you can, and try to stop your target from running too far away. Disarming, tabling helps.

I don't mind it. It's not an instant kill anymore, even without c4.
If you can table him why bother with the pen at all, just slap cuffs on him and emp his radio.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #98798

Well personally I suck at tabling because of ping pong :3
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #98808

Just return the oldpen and oldling, undo these hug-box changes. Make antags scary again.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #98815

I recently discovered you can't use these on people wearing hardsuits (and likely other armors). This is bad.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #98817

There's a difference between 'scary' and 'tiny prick, have a nice death'. The 'hugbox bogeyman' isn't entirely a creature of malice.

Sleepypens work like syringes: you can't inject them into people if they've got something thick on (biosuits, space suits, hardsuits, anything with nopierce?). Making them work through hardsuits would increase their usefulness a little, I think. (If you're in a hardsuit, you're slow anyway, have fun running away!~)
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #98820

How many bad chemicals can we shove into this poor little one shot item before the nerf herders come a calling?

Maybe call it enfeeblement pen and press that limit?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #98865

Sleepypens give illegal tech research, but normal pens don't. It's less likely to get you fired for abusing a prisoner (I WANT A LAWYER!!!1), at least.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #99001

I sometimes carry a whole backpack full of pens to confuse security.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #99014

Just return a nerfed version of the old parapen, with the following conditions:

- Not instant. Takes a while for its effect to occur. (30 seconds?)
- Gives no message to the target.
- Complete paralysis.
- Single use only.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #99016

Phalanx300 wrote:Just return a nerfed version of the old parapen, with the following conditions:

- Not instant. Takes a while for its effect to occur. (30 seconds?)
- Gives no message to the target.
- Complete paralysis.
- Single use only.
this is essentially what we have now but with no message and less delay. would be nicer than what we have i guess, but 30 seconds is pretty fucking huge in the scheme of things regardless.
Spoiler:
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #99131

I'd be all for reducing the time as much as possible but I don't believe some coders would approve. Removing the message that you're getting injected is absolutely needed though. Otherwise all aspects of stealth are removed, same with the mute.
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #99292

What about bringing back Sleeptoxin for the pen? The old Sleeptoxin used to have a nice sideeffect of causing drowsiness which blurred the victims screen, slowed them down and even made them pass out occasionally before the full sleep effect occured. Morphine on the other hand just gives the victim a speed boost before they fall asleep. This might help stop people easily overpowering you or running away after being stabbed.