Slowspace

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

What do you want to be done about slowspace?

Revert it!
87%
Keep slowspace.
13%
Other.
No votes

Total votes: 38

Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Slowspace

Post by Amelius » #95756

Why is this still here? No one likes slowspace.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Slowspace

Post by Scones » #95763

Nobody wants it

Nobody ever wanted it

MRPERSON GO HOME
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #95886

You know you fucked up when oranges of all people codes a revert to your PR
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #96950

Pls revert
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #96965

Slowed space movement doesn't really add anything and is unrealistic.

Gravity slows people down a lot presuming humans move fastest under gravity is bizarre imagine you could hold the momentum of the rise of a jump perpetually that is what space can offer. Not that this is a good idea for real astronauts as they drift off into orbit then suffocate as their air slowly runs out.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #97008

I remember when we first made the complaint about slowspace, and that's what made me despise /tg/'s coders no matter what they're intentions are.
Just a refresher, slow space was added for the following reasons, this is not a joke:
REALISM
NUKES OPS HAVING TROUBLE KEEPING UP TOGETHER IN GROUPS

Why wasn't it reverted so long ago, because the coder
Spoiler:
Mr.Person
too proud to revert the speed nerf and told the regular players to do themselves. Orange IIRC did a revert that made the movement speed fast again, whilst keeping the good parts of the update.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #97009

Your correct, MrPerson refused to revert the PR and just told anyone who complained to do it themselves despite the overwhelming feedback that his change was bad.

Fortunately good ole Oranges came to the rescue.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #97015

RG4 wrote:I remember when we first made the complaint about slowspace, and that's what made me despise /tg/'s coders no matter what they're intentions are.
Just a refresher, slow space was added for the following reasons, this is not a joke:
REALISM
NUKES OPS HAVING TROUBLE KEEPING UP TOGETHER IN GROUPS

Why wasn't it reverted so long ago, because the coder
Spoiler:
Mr.Person
too proud to revert the speed nerf and told the regular players to do themselves. Orange IIRC did a revert that made the movement speed fast again, whilst keeping the good parts of the update.
If he did the revert, why isn't it in the game? I mean, I know we aren't AS slow in space as we used to be when slowspace was still rolled out, but we're nowhere near the glory days of noslowdownnogravity and 'you slipped!'.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #97016

I'm sure I made it as fast as it was previously, are you saying you want it faster?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #97017

is this whole thread a ruse? the speed should be the same as it was previously
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #97019

jetpacks especially are nowhere even close to what they used to be

or at least, i'm 99% on that. jetpacks used to be probably at least double the speed

maybe

now you have me doubting myself
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #97020

It is still a tad slower I just drifted off station as a jantior borg and a fellow engineering borg who was behind me managed to speed up enough to stop and save me by placing girders as he flew behind me and running on them. Wasn't a straight pier either these was real hodgepodge rescue stuff.

While to my benefit it was really stupid.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #97039

oranges wrote:I'm sure I made it as fast as it was previously, are you saying you want it faster?
It's not like how it was. Moving on the edges of the station was faster than running inside or something like that.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #97122

oranges wrote:is this whole thread a ruse? the speed should be the same as it was previously
It isn't. It used to be that in zero grav and the exterior of the station you'd move as if you weren't weighed down by anything, i.e. you'd move at maximum speed agnostic of equipment, at the cost of control (if you ran into other people, which was easy to do, then you'd have to throw things / use an extinguisher/etc. to move).

I think jetpacks are still a bit slower than they used to be too.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #97130

oranges wrote:I'm sure I made it as fast as it was previously, are you saying you want it faster?
AFIAK when you reverted the speed you only moved maybe a small fraction faster than slow space but not comparable to original space.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #97133

RG4 wrote:AFIAK when you reverted the speed you only moved maybe a small fraction faster than slow space but not comparable to original space.
"Original" was really fucking fast though, like TOO fast. Maybe it was just that combined with the RNG slipping that made it frustrating, but since that's gone the speed probably wouldn't be an issue. There's like an acceleration factor to space right now, I think theres a maximum speed you can achieve with a fire extinguisher vs throwing objects, though i've mostly only noticed this with admin throw commands. Would get prays from some dude stuck in an infinite loop so i'd admin throw him at maximum velocity in a random diagonal direction (accidently crit someone too once, impacts hurt). Jetpacks could definitely use work though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #97162

yeah jetpacks esp. are far slower than they used to be, i'm not kidding when i say they used to be twice as fast

i don't know if mrperson was just a sneaky devil and hid some other speed nerf somewhere but if you're sure you reverted it something's up

the whole change was really strange honestly, no one misses slipping i guess but if nukeops are having trouble following each other why not just extend the trail that jetpacks leave through space? i suggested it at the time but he seemed pretty adamant that he had to make wiring the solars four times longer for some reason :^)
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #97178

The whole "nuke ops losing eachother" excuse was a lame and baseless excuse to justify the wrong way to handle that specific situation, especially since literally everybody SHOULD have pinpointers and SHOULD be using their goddamn radios to communicate to eachother "I'm on the SE solar" or "Moving in to tcomms now get ready".

Either way, I really doubt this is some kind of intentional sabotage brought on by rage coding. It's most likely just a sweeping change that affected the movement of various parts (iirc, this did change a LOT of about how objects and shit move through space, including the singulo drifting before the huge singulo rework.) and some parts of it never got fixed or overlooked, like jetpacks.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #97280

Saegrimr wrote:"Original" was really fucking fast though, like TOO fast.
not really no, it worked fine for years and it worked fine when i played with it, nobody ever complained like "People move too fast in space!"
the only space movespeed thing that is too much or too little of something is slowspace which is complete ass, original fastspace was the best
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #97284

Like I said it was probably in tandem with the random slipping that made it annoying, especially slipping as a xenomorph holy SHIT i've raged hard at that before. I wouldn't mind seeing the old speed back just to see how it goes without the fear of spacing myself.