Revenants

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Revenants

Post by Xhuis » #96793

I didn't see a feedback thread for this so I decided to make one. Share your experience with revenants, whether you fought one, played as one, or just watched one. Share how you think they can be improved, as well as any ideas you might have. Fire away.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
specyalic
Byond Username: Specyalic

Re: Revenants

Post by specyalic » #97037

spawn em more often, i have never even seen one, or someone who has
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #97040

I have seen one once.

All it did was go visible for like 1 second, while in a wall, stun/hurt someone, then vansh again.

Couldn't kill it, couldn't stop it, it just kept on poking people and we couldn't do shit.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #97082

I saw one as warden. Rapidly flew through, injuring me, and then made another pass. Kept doing that until I almost died. Impossible to fight (it moved too fast) without holy water (which only one player can make/have access to). If holy water was more accessible, or there was a way to make it (an auto-blesser 3000 in the chapel, perhaps) then I might have felt more equipped. As it was, this thing was impossible to hit or injure. Or was it salt I was supposed to use? I didn't know, and I had no real way of finding out before it made me pass out.

Saw another one as AI. It decided to sit in my core, activating the tasers. I couldn't see it, but I knew that humans weren't invisible, so after warning the crew, I turned on my lasers. A bit of lasering later (it seemed to be moving around) a little pile of ectoplasm was produced. Reasonable interaction, I guess. It should have fucking left the laser area.

Suggestions? Basically just make them less ridiculous to fight. If it can sit on a wall and drain me, I'm not going to have a good time.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #97096

You can order holy water from Cargo, you know. Two bottles per shipment.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #97146

Lumi's feedback is pretty much in line with the adminhelps I get when I spawn them
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #97155

DemonFiren wrote:You can order holy water from Cargo, you know. Two bottles per shipment.
But the bottles are, what, 30u? That's almost as bad as having none at all. You've got to persuade cargo of the need, the cargo shuttle takes several minutes to get to and from centcomm, and then once it arrives you have very little when really if you want to effectively fight the thing you need to be absolutely covering the halls in this stuff, spraying it all over the town. The fact that making the quantities you need is very easy for one player (who can just bless water tanks and get 1000u at a time) and impossible for the rest of them is rubbish. If it was a process, not a player-specific superpower, it would be much more fun to fight revenants.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #97183

Revenants are currently undergoing a major overhaul. You can read the details here:
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9866
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #97190

Awesome, they really needed this. Getting mind spiked through walls with no way to defend yourself was pretty lame
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #97206

I did get attacked by a revenant once. It stunned me or something and it ran away?

Personally I liked the spook factor. But perhaps that was only because I was alone in the morgue.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #97213

Meanwhile, I was in the brig, surrounded, and the thing still murdered me.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #119539

New revenant changes are good. Event trigger is annoying, as it counts simple animals, which revenant can't absorb.
Also revenant early game you are hunting for corpses like mad as you can't do anything without them, but late game you don't seem to need them as.much.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #119554

Reposting from the other thread about revenants.

Honestly, I would personally love replacing the revenant EMP with an ability that animated a single machine by using the ability while hovering over it. Granted, this would be abused by doing this in R&D, comms consoles, and the upload and borg consoles for maximum griff, but those could probably be added to a blacklist so that that kind of thing doesn't happen. Aside from that, a spoopy revenant shocking people in rooms while vending machines go and beat people up would be hilarious if also slightly OP due to how far the range is on their shock.

Speaking of their shock, it's actually fine. No really, it doesn't do a whole lot of damage UNLESS the engineers go hyper autism with power and put 999999999 watts in the grid and make it 2-shot anyone who gets hit due to the sheer amount of said power, with the stun just being annoying unless it dicks you over in front of a simple mob or antag. The range on that thing needs to be nerfed though, wow, it's ridiculous. I can spam out medbay to the point that nobody even comes in there, with it jumping between several people just compounding the problem whilst I sit in windows and spam my stuns. It's particularly bad when there are Xenos on station. Due to there being a light in surgery I just sat there shocking the doctors over and over again so the larva could pop in time and get out of the vents.

Going more in-depth on the EMP, fuck that thing. Really. Particularly dickish revenants will sit in the wall near the AI core and just spam it to death with EMP, with it being able to do nothing to save itself if the revenant isn't stupid and sitting out in the open for lasers to hit it. Other than that, it's okay, but the sheer griff is stupid, and I like revenants having an EMP in the first place, but it being usable on the AI core is not okay. A way to fix this would possibly be making the AI core tiles blessed as if via chaplain if you don't feel like designing and balancing a new ability for revenant.

One last thing, and sorry for the wall of text, but why do revenants put another player in control after one dies? I'm actually unsure if these are bugs or not, but I kept randomly dying as a revenant when low on essence (it isn't explained why you died, you just get an ear-grating noise then dedchat) and from there I was basically switching out with someone else for the rest of the round whenever one of us randomly died. The random dying appears to happen after you absorb your first corpse then morph a power, where-upon you just die for seemingly no reason or damage taken because nothing is explained to you.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #119556

At the absolutely minimm, stop revenants from talking to the living.
Also fuck the emp "silicon killer" power.
Also that wierd that that just stuns and stam rapes everyone.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #119567

Please don't remove the free transmit ability, if you are spawned with no corpses around it's literally the only fun thing you can do. Without it you're just a nerfed ghost. If there is a problem with revenants giving meta information to the living, this is already forbidden and ban-worthy. How is that different from posibrains/xenos/golems/sentient mobs etc.? Just give it a cooldown so it can't be spammed because yeah, that's pretty annoying.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #119569

Because golems can't fly through walls invisible and see/hear antags, then fly over to sec and tell them who's who.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119592

lumipharon wrote:Because golems can't fly through walls invisible and see/hear antags, then fly over to sec and tell them who's who.
Ban anyone who does that, because antaghunting minimises the amount of bodies for you to eat, unless sec doesn't space them when they're done with 'em.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #119593

It would not be hard for a Revenant to reach a agreement with a faction (sec, gang, revs, whoever) that they feed them information, and assist them, in exchange they provide dead bodies to the Rev.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #119603

I'm keeping Transmit. This is /tg/ and meta will happen regardless, not to mention that I've sen some pretty good revenants striking deals with people.

I'll be reworking revenants in my other side antag PR. At the least, I'll be removing/tweaking Defile and Malfunction.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #119609

My point was that it's not literally meta, but does the same thing as metacomm can do only 'legally'.

Basically, if people can, people will. ie: Macrobombs, breaking into op shuttle and spacing the nuke etc etc.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #119633

lumipharon wrote:My point was that it's not literally meta, but does the same thing as metacomm can do only 'legally'.

Basically, if people can, people will. ie: Macrobombs, breaking into op shuttle and spacing the nuke etc etc.
Revenant is a random event, and random events can fuck your traitor round: you can get killed by carps, immovable rod, gibbed by meteors, caught in a burst of morphine etc.

Also revenants can get the objective to collaborate with antags, so you're not automatically cucked just because the event fired. I admit it that a revenant telling sec the location of the cult hideout would be really dickish, but you can just give him a warning or a note or a side antag ban