Operatives and teleport boards.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Operatives and teleport boards.

Post by Durkel » #97209

Currently the hot new thing while operative is go to either the derelict or the abandoned teleporter and take the board from their instead of purchasing one. Originally operatives couldn't go to those locations when the movable shuttle was added, and it wasn't until recently players started just taking the boards.

Is using this knowledge of a pre placed teleport board to bypass the cost intended? Should the boards or shuttle locations be removed?

What do you guys think about this?

For reference, the cost of the teleport board is 25 tc.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Operatives and teleport boards.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #97278

i say that's fair game, if they go out of their way and wade through RNGspace and find a teleporter then props to them, they did a good job
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #97279

PKPenguin321 wrote:i say that's fair game, if they go out of their way and wade through RNGspace and find a teleporter then props to them, they did a good job
It isn't RNG space anymore since they can just fly their ship there
Saltycut
Byond Username: Saltycut

Post by Saltycut » #97286

In the current situation you can as well delete teleporter board from the uplink because acquiring board takes literally 3 minutes, so why would you spend 25 TC's to buy it? I remember some people stealing it stlealthy from the station before executing the main assualt, and this seemed like a much more fair tactic. Honestly, I think operatives shuttle should probably just be able to fly to the station, mining asteroid and the syndie outpost. Teleporter is really powerful and should not be available for free.
Femstation 5ever
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #97288

Kor wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:i say that's fair game, if they go out of their way and wade through RNGspace and find a teleporter then props to them, they did a good job
It isn't RNG space anymore since they can just fly their ship there
why the fuck can the ops fly to the derelict
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #97293

Just remove the derelict destination.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #97295

This isn't new, like at all. I remember rounds as Ops flying to the comms sat and nicking the board for EXTREME INSERTION.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #97312

It's not NEW, but being able to instantly fly your shuttle to the Derelict IS new.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #97390

This is a pretty shitty thing, though, since it's basically several minutes of nothing happening for the crew and not really a challenge for the ops.
Actually, I'm not sure how much difference those few minutes make in crew opposition?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #97392

Personally I think this is only a problem if the Ops are spending too much time finding and using the teleport boards.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #97393

I think we could just stop cutting every neat tactic out of the game.

Stripping every secret out of the game is crappy way to design.

This tactic has led to some of the absolute best ops rounds of all time. This game doesn't need to be perfectly balanced.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #97416

Just remove derelict from the destination list. RNG makes it a little harder to get
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #97424

RNG doesn't balance it. If we want ops to have a free teleporter, let's just give them a free teleporter. More fun for everyone that way. If we don't, sorry derelict teleporter, you've got to go. The current situation where they have a free teleporter but some people don't know about it despite not being told about it is just unnecessarily mean to new players.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #97425

Yeah lets remove the station teleporter too because being able to find your way onto the station to grab it FOR FREE is just waaaay too unbalanced better fucking remove it instead.

Or you know, why the fuck did ops get a derelict destination point anyway?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #97496

like saegrimr said, just remove ability to go to the derelict, it's too easy. if the op team wants to spend 20 minutes fucking around to find the derelict while R&D puts together high research levels and take the risk of having high level guns deployed against them, that's their business but it's simply too easy. 25 TC is a rather significant firepower uptick effectively for free.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #97497

I think things should stay as is. The teleported tactic opens up some fun opportunities that usually aren't worth the 25tc. The small things not everybody knows is part of what makes the game satisfying. I always liked teaching the ops the teleported trick, and hey if they don't know it they can just buy the board.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #97504

With this becoming general metaknowledge now, and there being 5 guys per nuke team (+1 if there's a borg, and +1 again if they ever take a pAI), after a little while pretty much every team will have someone who knows about it. There's no reason not to go get the free board if it's so quick and easy to get, especially since it significantly shortens the station's ability to react to ops.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #97505

Theres also nothing stopping them from grabbing the plasma can to flood a hall, police baton for iwinmelee, EMP grenade, retro laser, etc etc.
Lets remove all them too.
Hell, scrap the derelict nobody uses it anyway amirite, and certainly nobody uses the teleporter there to get back if they get lost in space or get thrown into a teleporter destination there from various station happenings.

Just remove the destination, and if they want to spend the extra time and RNG to find the derelict through spacing themselves while risking some random engineer out on the solars spotting them then congrats. That's time they could have spent bombing tcomms, the AI, the clown...
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #97511

That list was in increasing order of importance
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #97513

Stickymayhem wrote:I think we could just stop cutting every neat tactic out of the game.

This tactic has led to some of the absolute best ops rounds of all time. This game doesn't need to be perfectly balanced.
This is 100% how we should be making the game. The insane possibilities and depth are what this game is all about, not balance. Ops get dunked most of the time anyway, let creative teams be creative.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #97517

Make standard teleport boards when powered make their teleporter always act as a beacon.

Make the ordered board beaconless.

There risk done.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #97518

rdght91 wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:I think we could just stop cutting every neat tactic out of the game.

This is 100% how we should be making the game. The insane possibilities and depth are what this game is all about, not balance. Ops get dunked most of the time anyway, let creative teams be creative.
They actually win 50% of the time
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #97524

Depends on the server population, lower pop Ops almost always win whereas on higher pop Ops usually lose.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #97525

Not a big surprise all our scaling could use some work. Diminishing returns in traitors numbers and hard caps on live ops means that low to medium population gets hammered hard and peak gets off scot free.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #97531

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I think things should stay as is. The teleported tactic opens up some fun opportunities that usually aren't worth the 25tc.
Having access to a teleporter was deemed to be worth 25tc when it was added. What changed?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #97533

If the shuttle can fly to the derelict and so many locations now why is boarding it verbotten?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #97536

Arete wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:I think things should stay as is. The teleported tactic opens up some fun opportunities that usually aren't worth the 25tc.
Having access to a teleporter was deemed to be worth 25tc when it was added. What changed?
I'm not the one who deemed it worth that much, and I'm not sure who made it worth that much in the uplink.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #97540

The teleporter board was 20 telecrystals before telecrystal values were doubled, so it basically got hugely reduced in cost when that was done.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #97541

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I'm not the one who deemed it worth that much, and I'm not sure who made it worth that much in the uplink.
How much do you think it should be in the uplink for? Grabbing items from the derelict is currently zero risk and a very small time investment. Maybe the time investment is worth a few tc, but it's not worth 25 of them. By all means keep the cool little tricks, but don't make knowledge of them worth such a substantial portion of a team antag's resources.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #97545

blitzing with a teleporter board is basically a 100% win chance. Getting a board from the derelict, while a little cheesy (why can the shuttle even go there?) doesn't really let you blitz, since it takes a bit of time to plan then go there, go to station etc.

Did the nuke ops teleporter ever get fixed so it didn't need to calibrate? I remember after the calibrate changes came in, every op team that used it would be 50% fly people and just drop dead from radiation.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #97552

Remove the board from the uplink, remove unfinished teleporter from the ship. Force ops to use the derelict teleporter if they really want to teleport in, and the station teleporter to get back.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #97553

Honestly I think this issue is a moot point, and I personally dislike the idea of removing creative player actions and strategy.

What we need to look into is how do we boost high pop Nuke Op win rates from 10% to around 50%.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #97556

it's not that hard to win high pop, if you use powergamer tactics.
AKA:
1) Mauler
2)spam syndie borgs
3)teleport in as fast as possible (you can catch the captain before he's even left his office).
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #97557

As I said give the nuke ops ordered board advantages over a regular teleporter board instead of scouring space even more. You don't even need to do this a standard syndiborg AI elimination would leave the AI sat teleporter open for teleops anyway.

Pay to get a regular station item was always a bit of a lame duck idea you don't exactly see syndicate toolboxes being bought in the dozens either.
lumipharon wrote:it's not that hard to win high pop, if you use powergamer tactics.
Powergaming makes things easier for yourself? Oh golly gee wiz.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #97558

Incomptinence wrote:As I said give the nuke ops ordered board advantages over a regular teleporter board instead of scouring space even more. You don't even need to do this a standard syndiborg AI elimination would leave the AI sat teleporter open for teleops anyway.

Pay to get a regular station item was always a bit of a lame duck idea you don't exactly see syndicate toolboxes being bought in the dozens either.
When I added the teleporter to the nuke ops shuttle they

-Couldn't fly to the derelict or tcomms
-Was no station AI sat/teleporter
-Only spare teleboard that was accessible was in secure tech, which I moved to RD's office so they couldn't grab it for free

Wasn't really a regular station item when it got added