You have been inactive for more than 10 minutes = disconnect

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

You have been inactive for more than 10 minutes = disconnect

Post by bandit » #103612

what

why

Is this really necessary? Or is this an overcorrection due to the influx of summer players? Why is this necessary?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: You have been inactive for more than 10 minutes = discon

Post by Gun Hog » #103653

I figure that the admins are becoming more aggressive about population control, and wish to be active in evening out the player counts. Sybil constantly gets 80 whereas Basil putters along at less than 20. This results in one server being an overcrowded, laggy mess while Basil has no rounds other than traitor, traitorchan, and changeling. Inactives add to the player count, possibly keeping people from joining if population is close to the cap.

I am guessing that admins just want to even things out.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #103729

Gun Hog wrote:Basil has no rounds other than traitor, traitorchan, and changeling.
I RESENT THAT ACCUSATION!

We have extended too.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #103734

10 seems a bit much, not uncommon to be dead for that long and to just alt-tab until the round ends.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #103739

Remove it for dead people. This is just silly, missed nearly all round-starts today because I am unrobust and tend to surf the net afterwards instead of salting in chat.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #103745

#bringbacksos2015
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #103755

If you dislike the server configuration, PM the host. This isn't a code issue though
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #103825

MisterPerson wrote:If you dislike the server configuration, PM the host. This isn't a code issue though
There isn't really a Server Feedback forum or anything, this board is fine for people to voice their concerns.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #104010

This isn't just for players also, Even admins get kicked.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #104032

So I get kicked from being a player for ten minutes of inactivity, how long does it takes admins? because according to the precedent of HG it should take them a couple of months right?

I'm so funny.

But seriously, I see no issue here, You're either invested in the round or you aren't.
Though I believe ahelps bwoink right? if so, I can see a need for this to be removed from admins doing other things but waiting and being available in the background should an ahelp come through.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #104033

Last I checked admins don't count towards the population limit, so kicking them seems kind of pointless anyway.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #104047

Saegrimr wrote:Last I checked admins don't count towards the population limit, so kicking them seems kind of pointless anyway.
They don't count towards the soft limits, but they count towards the hard limits.
The server load doesn't differentiate between Admin or not, a connection is a connection.

Granted, Observers don't get kicked:

Code: Select all

/datum/subsystem/server_maint/fire()
	//handle kicking inactive players
	if(config.kick_inactive > 0)
		for(var/client/C in clients)
			if(C.is_afk(INACTIVITY_KICK))
				if(!istype(C.mob, /mob/dead))
					log_access("AFK: [key_name(C)]")
					C << "<span class='danger'>You have been inactive for more than 10 minutes and have been disconnected.</span>"
					del(C)
So if you're an admin who needs to stay connected, it's best to aghost while afk.
私は完璧
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #104060

Question. Before I totally overreact and call this out as the shitty idea this is.

Are all ghosts immune to kicking, or just admin ghosts?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #104083

Akkryls wrote:Question. Before I totally overreact and call this out as the shitty idea this is.

All ghosts.
私は完璧
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #104084

I put this in place because its shit to have a pop cap and allow afk people to use up slots.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #104118

It is on regardless of pop. I've been kicked for idling on sibyl with 20 or so people, it's pretty dumb,.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #104120

MrStonedOne wrote:I put this in place because its shit to have a pop cap and allow afk people to use up slots.
Why not, like, you know, only count playing players as part of the player cap?

Seriously, if you're dead for the round it's terrible to kick people who don't have the time, patience, or care to watch (believe me, 99% of the time I'm eaten by a ling in a ling round I'm not in the mood to watch a subtle lingstation 13 for 2 hours), instead of just having to listen for that familiar menu music. It means that now you have to be actively watching, even if absolutely fucknothing is happening / everyone is dead and so forth if you want to participate at roundstart the following round. It's punishing people who die in a totally backwards way, aside from actually being removed from the round.

It'll drive numbers down as well, which really, is the last thing this server needs, given that rounds are unchaotic, tepid, and boring most of the time these days.
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #104129

Will agree, this is stupid.
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #104130

Remove afk kick
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #104359

Remie Richards wrote:
Akkryls wrote:Question. Before I totally overreact and call this out as the shitty idea this is.

All ghosts.
At least there's that, so this isn't a monumentally retarded idea.
MrStonedOne wrote:I put this in place because its shit to have a pop cap and allow afk people to use up slots.
So yeah, where did that whole "Hands off" approach to running the server go?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #104373

Let me get this straight, it kicks live players but not ghosts. So it stops people from taking a slot and not using it. If you want to hear when the round ends can't you just ghost/kill yourself?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #104387

Akkryls wrote:
To be fair Akkryls, MSO runs the servers, the actual server boxes are maintained by him (Sysadmin wise, the boxes are at the Host)
The cap was first enabled this time around due to crippling lag caused by 90 players.

Do you want a playable game with a pop cap, or an unplayable game with nigh-infinite player slots?
私は完璧
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #104403

I'm not sure why people mind. If you're AFK for 10 minutes, you're clearly busy doing other things.
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #104426

Amnestik wrote:I'm not sure why people mind. If you're AFK for 10 minutes, you're clearly busy doing other things.
Or you died a tragic death and are tabbed out of the game waiting for the round to end?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #104427

But ghosts do not get kicked
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Jeb

Post by Jeb » #104428

Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #104531

Jeb wrote:
Amnestik wrote:I'm not sure why people mind. If you're AFK for 10 minutes, you're clearly busy doing other things.
Or you died a tragic death and are tabbed out of the game waiting for the round to end?
Even though ghosts aren't kicked, why should inactive observers hold a place that new joiners might want?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #104566

Amnestik wrote:
Jeb wrote:
Even though ghosts aren't kicked, why should inactive observers hold a place that new joiners might want?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #104719

Remie Richards wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Last I checked admins don't count towards the population limit, so kicking them seems kind of pointless anyway.
They don't count towards the soft limits, but they count towards the hard limits.
The server load doesn't differentiate between Admin or not, a connection is a connection.

Granted, Observers don't get kicked:

Code: Select all

/datum/subsystem/server_maint/fire()
	//handle kicking inactive players
	if(config.kick_inactive > 0)
		for(var/client/C in clients)
			if(C.is_afk(INACTIVITY_KICK))
					log_access("AFK: [key_name(C)]")
					C << "<span class='danger'>You have been inactive for more than 10 minutes and have been disconnected.</span>"
					del(C)
So if you're an admin who needs to stay connected, it's best to aghost while afk.
Nope! I've been kicked after 10 minutes even as an observer.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #104721

palpatine213 wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:if(!istype(C.mob, /mob/dead))
Nope! I've been kicked after 10 minutes even as an observer.

an observer is /mob/dead/observer.
Ergo you were probably pulled into a mob by one of the over-aggressive "I NEED A GHOST NOW" antags, and then kicked by it for being AFK, since you still accumulate "AFK Points" while a ghost, you just won't be penalised for them.
私は完璧
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #104722

Remie Richards wrote:since you still accumulate "AFK Points" while a ghost, you just won't be penalised for them.
Hahaha holy shit so the instant an alien larva pops out, someone that was alt-tabbed and just listening for the round end gets kicked.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #104725

Remie Richards wrote:
Akkryls wrote:
To be fair Akkryls, MSO runs the servers, the actual server boxes are maintained by him (Sysadmin wise, the boxes are at the Host)
The cap was first enabled this time around due to crippling lag caused by 90 players.

Do you want a playable game with a pop cap, or an unplayable game with nigh-infinite player slots?
I've been playing Spessmen for about 4~ years ish. So whilst I haven't been around for as long as some people, I've still been here a while.
First time we've apparently needed a pop cap; so I guess my (Probably fairly aggressive) train of thought is that whatever is causing the lag should be removed (Fastmos / Spider mobs / Whatever is causing it now) rather than putting in server configs that don't really do a huge amount to help the lag but just detract from quality of life on the server.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #104727

Akkryls wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
Akkryls wrote:

I've been playing Spessmen for about 4~ years ish. So whilst I haven't been around for as long as some people, I've still been here a while.
First time we've apparently needed a pop cap; so I guess my (Probably fairly aggressive) train of thought is that whatever is causing the lag should be removed (Fastmos / Spider mobs / Whatever is causing it now) rather than putting in server configs that don't really do a huge amount to help the lag but just detract from quality of life on the server.
We're not fully aware of what's causing the crippling 90 player lag, since about 6 months ago we were celebrating 100+ players no lag.
This is not a permanent solution, it is an interim one.
私は完璧
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #104731

Remie Richards wrote: We're not fully aware of what's causing the crippling 90 player lag, since about 6 months ago we were celebrating 100+ players no lag.
This is not a permanent solution, it is an interim one.
Fair enough then.
That's basically what I was getting at that we did use to have 100+ players without anything even close to resembling the server crushing lag that we do at the moment.

It would be nice if the AFK kick thing could be made a bit more lenient in the mean time though, in regards to the AFK points thing instant kicking ghosts the moment something drags them into the round.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #104732

Recently been having loads of lag on basil, even with 17 players
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster